Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Opening Round vs Sydney

9 hours ago, demon3165 said:

It's called the game plan, forward line is stagnant as the ball comes in.

It can’t be.

There are no excuses like in 2022 when we were protecting our mids and kicking to flanks and pockets.

We may have learned bad habits that are hard to unlearn but to think that the coaches want to see inertia and stagnancy is just wrong.

On 08/03/2024 at 07:27, The Jackson FIX said:

I think the view was tough draw (Sydney, Adel and Port away and then Doggies and Bris in there too) + important players still to come back

It's great that we have capable players coming back, and this will make a difference, onfield. However, we must address the lack of 'systems' and creative opportunities, foot-passing, player linkages across the field, mobile and leading forward efforts, team support (instead of individual efforts and long bombs), plus other characteristics that remain as stains upon our ball progression, sustained ball possession and scoring abilities. Three seasons of progressive loss of these attributes may well prove devastating - coaches, beware!

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, rpfc said:

It can’t be.

There are no excuses like in 2022 when we were protecting our mids and kicking to flanks and pockets.

We may have learned bad habits that are hard to unlearn but to think that the coaches want to see inertia and stagnancy is just wrong.

Method and inspiration hold the coaches back; the players are not well performed as a consequence, reliant on individual skilling and zonal weaknesses for maybe, the next rebound - but these are now fewer in number.

On 08/03/2024 at 21:14, CHF said:

Selection was baffling in my view as was he selection of Billings as Sub. I have wanted Bailey Laurie to succeed and have seen some good bits and pieces of ply from him. I have to say that I would not have him in the gameday 23 until he has absolutely battered the door down with a succession of dominating game at Casey. 

The forwards have been a problem for a number of seasons and I do not see any improvement in the situation. Delivery has been blamed but if you do not have movement or a dominating target to kick to then it does not matter how well it is delivered. Last night I saw a forward line group that did not look to have a clear plan to work too. Schache really did not give us anything worthwhile and I would look at playing anyone else and put Schache in the same basket as Laurie. Here are half a dozen doors marked Casey..... let me know when you have knocked them all down and then we can talk.

Agree with that, i think Billings is starting 18, but we will see next week.

Schache and Laurie, i get we rewarded their selections but in saying that there are obviously big doubts on them long term. I agree with yo about Laurie, i don't want to bag individuals and blame them, but tbh i feel he is the same as Schache, and it dosen't fit our game style.

I think Koz, Fullatrton, Petty and McAdam are important ins if they're fit.

I feel its a bit of a reubuild this year, and trying to find a good balance of skill and experience.

• Clap 1

On 07/03/2024 at 23:24, Docs Demons said:

I would have thought that we also trained etc. in hot and humid weather so no excuses in my mind for the night. Both teams played in the same conditions and Swans were the better, more cleaner team. We missed so many marks under not much pressure. Saw Chandler drop 2/3 marks under minimal pressure. Been on this a while now but I would love a Guilden playing for us. His disposal over 50 metres is brilliant where our blokes couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Goody needs to get over his love child's. Has to realise that the likes of Spargo and Chandler are just VFL players at best. No way should have Spargo played with no games under his belt. Had a bloke like Billings and put him as sub. His experience and smarts from the start would have been good.

It's passed now but boy did we stuff up with Grundy . Played him a bit more along with Max including finals and it may have been the best ruck combination ever. Again Goody stuffed this up big time. Grundy gave Max a horrible hiding.

Let JVR evolve. He is NOT a key forward yet. 

How many chances does Schack get. Just not up to AFL level. No heart. Pity as he was a 2 pick.

Need to improve around 20% to have a chance next week.

Selection is done by a committee. Not Goodwin alone.

Demonland has a Job Vacancy for a Resident Optimist.

family-guy-sinking-ship.gif.1145ac0ca09d9712dfad36c1e10e3486.gif

Catharsis seekers and flagellants need only apply.

Edited by Tarax Club
Post Post-Game
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Antioch said:

Selection is done by a committee. Not Goodwin alone.

The more people at selection, the more the variance until a 'tolerated' selection is achieved. We have a balance as a result, based upon individual performances, not credibility; not teamwork combinations and smarts across midlines and flanks. Play-makers and progressions are thus hampered as is the persistency of ad hoc game control, hopeful game planning, game plan execution/alternatives and the depth of player responsibilities/understanding. 

Just watched the replay of our game…well the 3rd quarter…how costly was Sparrow’s dropped mark inside 50 with 2 mins to 3/4 time. Would have tied the game or given us a shot to take the lead. It was a reasonably difficult mark to take, but he took his eyes off the ball. Likewise, how [censored] poor was Spargo when he gave up against the Lizard after Clarry banged in the first clearance of the 4th. Blakey actually juggled the mark, but Spargo had already given up.. had he not have, there was a spoil on and plenty of pressure coming. Little moments that prove costly 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Just watched the replay of our game…well the 3rd quarter…how costly was Sparrow’s dropped mark inside 50 with 2 mins to 3/4 time. Would have tied the game or given us a shot to take the lead. It was a reasonably difficult mark to take, but he took his eyes off the ball. Likewise, how [censored] poor was Spargo when he gave up against the Lizard after Clarry banged in the first clearance of the 4th. Blakey actually juggled the mark, but Spargo had already given up.. had he not have, there was a spoil on and plenty of pressure coming. Little moments that prove costly 

I have never watched a replay, or even highlights, after a loss.

4 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

The best thing about the loss is that we end Round Zero inside the eight. Win next weekend and we could still be in the eight. Ergo, we could remain in the eight all year.

Afl website ladder paints a different story, though I'm not sure it makes sense.

Screenshot_20240310_163940_AFL.thumb.jpg.10c6c4e5e425d26388f6928254ab0cea.jpg

10 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

I have never watched a replay, or even highlights, after a loss.

I like to dissect the game. I’m still of the belief that it wasn’t as doomsday as people suggest. We had control in the 3rd. Failed to capitalise in the 1st. Some poor moments led to Sydney goals. Viney taking on three tackles and being pinged a prime example. We leaked goals for 6 minutes and the game was gone. It was the wrong time to allow it. 

There are major issues with the forwardline, but we are regaining soldiers in coming weeks. I think we have to keep that in mind. Schache should never play again though. That has to be the weakest game from a ‘big man’ as I’ve ever seen. Kozzie will play a role in the midfield and inside 50. The mosquito fleet of Laurie, Spargo and Chandler should never be seen in the same side again

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

I also felt Spargo’s high shepherd in the 3rd really cost us. We had all the momentum going the other way and it just killed us.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

7 hours ago, Roost it far said:

I’d almost take a bottom 4 finish so as to recruit and bounce in 25-26. Bit like 2019. Problem is how to you keep guys like Petty and attract key forwards when you finish that low?

This ? After one game - I think we need to see more don’t you think ? 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, Sydee said:

This ? After one game - I think we need to see more don’t you think ? 

Absolutely, I’m annoyed about last year, the preseason and Sydney. Im worried if we keep losing and sustaining injuries it’ll be season over

Edited by Roost it far

3 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Absolutely, I’m annoyed about last year, the preseason and Sydney. Im worries if we keep losing and sustaining injuries it’ll be season over

I’m frustrated with the last two years too - I think we all are 

Finishing bottom 4 guarantees us nothing 

We should have cap space to burn next year as I can’t imagine BBB and  T Mac being there and with Gus’s unfortunate retirement that creates more room 

I’d much prefer we put in a strong season and be very aggressive at the trade table and try and lure a proven tall forward and fast highly skilled mid 

11 minutes ago, Sydee said:

I’m frustrated with the last two years too - I think we all are 

Finishing bottom 4 guarantees us nothing 

We should have cap space to burn next year as I can’t imagine BBB and  T Mac being there and with Gus’s unfortunate retirement that creates more room 

I’d much prefer we put in a strong season and be very aggressive at the trade table and try and lure a proven tall forward and fast highly skilled mid 

So sensible. I’m all or nothing. Flags or bust for me.

1 hour ago, Sydee said:

I’d much prefer we put in a strong season and be very aggressive at the trade table and try and lure a proven tall forward

The chance of one becoming available, yet alone being able to get the deal done, are minimal at best. Or to put it another way, how many proven tall forwards have been traded in recent years? Jacob Koschitzke? Mabior Chol?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bing181 said:

The chance of one becoming available, yet alone being able to get the deal done, are minimal at best. Or to put it another way, how many proven tall forwards have been traded in recent years? Jacob Koschitzke? Mabior Chol?

Jesse Hogan ? 
Jeremy Cameron ? 
Dan McStay ? 
Joe Daniher ? 
Luke Jackson ? 
Rory Lobb ? 
BBB ?

Tom Lynch ? 

Not saying I’d want some of these but these trades do happen 

2 hours ago, Pirlo said:

He's played 19 games as a ruck/forward. In that time, he has 50 hit outs and 6.4

So you think Schache is better. Weid is better than Schache ! We need to see what Fullarton can bring..

4 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I also felt Spargo’s high shepherd in the 3rd really cost us. We had all the momentum going the other way and it just killed us.

Yes. I also made mention of the moment he gave up on a kick inside fifty from Oliver, which was over his head (not hard), and was busy shaking his head whilst Blakey bumbled the mark, but was able to take it on the second bite because there was no pressure. That is pathetic! Poor body language too. Enough to be dropped for mine

Edited by Kick_It_To_Pickett
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

Has anyone mentioned anything about what the absence of Brayshaw would have made in Thursdays game?

i haven't really made the effort to go back 10 or 15 pages to check, but i think he would have made a bit of difference in positioning of some players on both sides, especially in the talks that he had in the centre with the other senior players quite often.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, loges said:

So you think Schache is better. Weid is better than Schache ! We need to see what Fullarton can bring..

He might be, which is a problem. I would also play Fullarton this week if fit, but I'm in a despairing mood over our depth across the board. The cupboard - aside from the unavailable trio of Petty, Kozzie and McAdam - was bare at selection and we were fairly well beaten by a side who snuck into the eight last year. Plenty of water to go under the bridge, and I hope we will improve quickly, but we've gone from reliable depth to plenty of unknowns within two years.