• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PRESEASON TRAINING: Wednesday 7th February 2024

7 hours ago, Demonland said:

Goody very happy with Kolt who was hard up on the boundary in the forward pocket with not a lot of space hitting up Spargo on the chest with a beautiful pass. 

That's why Taylor picked him, of that i have no doubt.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Demonland said:

backing up homer simpson GIF

Young folk and their memes. It's a whole other language - I'm only know getting up to speed on emojis

Im guessing that one means Nibbla was also showing his elite evasive skills today?

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, daisycutter said:

it was more than just kill 1 in 10 for a group

the military unit to be decimated (due to rebellion, performance etc) was spit up into groups of 10. within the group of 10 they drew straws to determine who would be killed. then the other 9 in the group had to kill their comrade who drew the short straw..

tough love, huh

today, in common usage, decimate tends to used for more like 10% surviving rather than being killed

Sounds like vfl footy coaches in the 70s.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Palace Dees said:

You strike me more of a KAOS girl WCW. 

Definitely! CONTROL is boring. KAOS is fun. But I’m not sure I’d last long working under Siegfried, whereas the Chief is cool af. 

• Haha 1

Another training report mixed up in with some injury speculation. 

Melbourne could be forced to field an undermanned and inexperienced forward line against Sydney in its season-opener next month as lingering injuries add to availability woes.

Just a month out from the Demons’ opening round clash with the Swans, defender-turned-forward Harrison Petty is still battling a foot injury and veteran key forward Tom McDonald had a fresh calf complaint at training on Wednesday. 

Petty — who booted eight goals across two games in attack late last season — has had a limited summer due to a Lisfranc injury he suffered last August. 

Melbourne football boss Alan Richardson said last week that the Demons were looking to “up the loads” for Petty and see “how he responds”. 

However, Petty did very little after taking part in some early drills at training on Wednesday, spending time on the exercise bike and doing weights while teammates took part in some modified match simulation. 

McDonald was restricted to some ball work on the sidelines, while recruit Shane McAdam also trained away from the main group in a further concern. 

Fellow off-season signing Tom Fullarton (hamstring), key forward Ben Brown (knee) and marking mid-sized forward Jake Melksham (knee) have already been ruled out of the start of the season due to injury.

Livewire small Kysaiah Pickett impressed on Wednesday as he brought some magic in attack, but the 22-year-old is unavailable to take on the Swans after copping a one-match suspension for bumping Carlton captain Patrick Cripps in last year’s semi-final. 

The Demons will also be without Joel Smith — who booted three goals in last year’s semi-final — as he remains provisionally suspended after returning a positive result to an in-competition doping test last August. 

Melbourne is set to face off with Richmond in a seven-period match simulation hitout at Casey Fields on February 18, in preparation for its clash with the Swans at the SCG on March 7. 

OLIVER TREADING LIGHTLY

Melbourne midfielder Clayton Oliver remains on light training duties away from the main group.

Oliver spent most of Wednesday’s session running laps at Gosch’s Paddock, as well as doing some one-on-one ball work with assistant coach Andrew McQualter.

He had started training doing some roving drills with ruckman Max Gawn. 

The 26-year-old only returned to the track last week, after taking an extended break from the club to deal with personal issues. 

Teammate Christian Petracca had said on Tuesday that Oliver would “integrate soon” with the main group, but no official date has been put on his return. 

Rebounding defender Christian Salem – who has had recent hamstring niggles – ran laps with Oliver after taking part in some drills with the main group to start training. 

Wingman Lachie Hunter (calf) was also part of the rehabilitation group and completed a limited individual program. 

NEW KOLT HERO?

First-round draft pick Koltyn Tholstrup continues to impress and looks likely to become a fan favourite in the years to come. 

The No. 13 pick from last year’s draft showed that he knows how to find the footy during some modified match simulation on Wednesday, but also used the ball very well across half forward and set up teammates inside 50.

The forward connection piece has been an ongoing issue for the Demons, but is one which Tholstrup could help address. 

No. 7 draft pick Caleb Windor also caught the eye once again.

The wingman appeared to have the wind knocked out of him at one point, but picked himself up and got on with it. 

The running machine — who has strong agility and evasive skills — has drawn comparisons to Carlton’s Sam Walsh and looks capable of making an early-season AFL debut.

LITTLE BACK-UP

After the departure of Brodie Grundy to Sydney during the trade period last October, Melbourne has been left lacking in the ruck department. 

Behind captain Max Gawn – who turned 32 in December – there are only two other recognised ruckman on the list, both of whom are rookies. 

The two rookie rucks are Kyah Farris-White and Will Verrall, who are 20 and 19 respectively. 

Farris-White went up against Gawn during modified match simulation on Wednesday and looks to be improving, but still has plenty of development to come. 

Brisbane Lions recruit Fullarton is capable of doing some ruck work, but will miss the start of the season through injury. 

The Demons will have their fingers crossed that Gawn can get through the season unscathed, because after him the ruck cupboard is relatively bare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

Is the curse back?

(remembering that Norm was a key forward)

"Let it go Norm, enough is enough!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, Sydee said:

Hope Kolt taking notes on goal kicking from JVR not Trac 

I hope he sits in Tracs back pocket, he reminds me of Trac at the same age.  Same build, skills, confidence but agree hopefully a better shot a goal

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, picket fence said:

SHACHKY ATTACKY MUST PLAY

If T-Mac is good to go then we might have to play him forward

Max to carry the greater workload or Schache to be the back up?

A tricky decision but I'm not sure that Schache will be the sub again so I've left him out (Max won't have a broken toe for the first game) 

If Petty is declared fit then he's in for T-Mac ... if T-Mac doesn't come up as well, then maybe Schache)

As it stands, one of T-Mac, Schache or JVR will be needed as the 2nd ruck)

But I'm hoping that T-Mac (at least) is good to go.  Petty doubtful?

For the Sydney game

HF  Fritsch         JVR          ANB/ Petracca

F    Chandler     T-Mac     McAdam or Billings

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Really? Melksy… Shirt off? Why, I didn’t notice that at all. 🤭

And I get sprung looking through the gap in the corner of the 'tent'

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Demonland said:

REHAB: Brown, Hunter, AMW, Fullarton, Turner, Clarry, TMac, Melksham, McAdam

Andy - by rehab do you really mean recovery programme post injury (the usual use of the term) or are some just on modified  programmes?

11 hours ago, Demonland said:

Petty working the medicine ball in the sheds. 

Hope it is not one of Danks' Bomber medicine balls

9 hours ago, Demonland said:

I don't think we will have much of a choice to be honest. JVR needs support. We can't have teams double teaming him with only Fritsch and a bevy of small forwards.

Schache is good on a lead and if he gets out the back of an opponent but if he is one on one with a strong defender he gets ragdolled.

So, if Shak plays should he be instructed to lead long and or wide  at all times, which would reduce the deep forward congestion as his opponent would be obliged to follow him.

7 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

👍🏽 Harry told me it’s nothing (new) to worry about, it’s just the “same ongoing niggle.”

I asked why he looked so dejected at the time and he said it’s just him… he gets frustrated and lets it get to him. Which makes sense because he was back to his happy, upbeat self not long after. 🙂

Same ongoing niggle - is that the foot or the calf niggle?

7 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

He’s training separately purely to focus on improving his fitness level. No injury, no niggle. No one can say for sure if he’ll ever reach 100% fitness but believe me it won’t be for want of trying. 

Re McAdam - so the 'rehab' programme is maintained a general new player fitness regimen, not an injury recovery plan?

1 minute ago, monoccular said:

Andy - by rehab do you really mean recovery programme post injury (the usual use of the term) or are some just on modified  programmes?

All of the above. Rehab in my training observations usually just refers to anyone not training with the main group and doing anything from a modified program to chatting with @WalkingCivilWar over the fence. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Erhh why was he unfit to start with

Was an ongoing  issue at Adelaide 

Why would he be any different with us?I hope he is improving but smacks of poor attitude to me sorry to say

Pretty much every new player we have bought into our club (not the young draftees) have said our training standards & fitness are elite. Even Grundy alluded to it so whilst they might be fit.. they’re not “Melbourne “ fit. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, monoccular said:

Same ongoing niggle - is that the foot or the calf niggle?

Re McAdam - so the 'rehab' programme is maintained a general new player fitness regimen, not an injury recovery plan?

The foot. He said there’s nothing new injury-wise, it’s the “same ongoing niggle” but apparently the media is reporting a toe issue. 🤷‍♀️ 

Re McAdam, he told me two weeks ago that he’s training separately from the group, the goal being to get his fitness levels up. Last Wednesday this seemed unchanged. Today we chatted but not about his training or calf ‘awareness’ so maybe he is carrying an injury. Again… 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Macca said:

If T-Mac is good to go then we might have to play him forward

Max to carry the greater workload or Schache to be the back up?

A tricky decision but I'm not sure that Schache will be the sub again so I've left him out (Max won't have a broken toe for the first game) 

If Petty is declared fit then he's in for T-Mac ... if T-Mac doesn't come up as well, then maybe Schache)

As it stands, one of T-Mac, Schache or JVR will be needed as the 2nd ruck)

But I'm hoping that T-Mac (at least) is good to go.  Petty doubtful?

For the Sydney game

HF  Fritsch         JVR          ANB/ Petracca

F    Chandler     T-Mac     McAdam or Billings

No to T Mac, Im not even sure he's yesterdays hero. I'm backing the Lurve Shack!

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

No to T Mac, Im not even sure he's yesterdays hero. I'm backing the Lurve Shack!

Yeah you'd imagine that he will get his opportunities if, in the absence of Fullarton, he is regarded as the next best ruckman (JVR to preferably take a few forward line ruck duals only)

Question for you PF (or anyone else)

What's Schache like in the ruck at AFL level? His hit out stats on AflTables aren't all that startling

4 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

the Chief is cool af. 

Well, he did get to act alongside the coolest of the cool in James Dean, after all.