• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Garry Lyon tells Demons to "suck it up"

Supreme_Demon

1 hour ago, Palace Dees said:

When I started following football, there were 12 field umpires required each round.  Today, there are 72.  I would think the amount of 'accredited' AFL journalists have multiplied by much more. As a result, what we now have in both facets of our game, as in the modern world, is quantity over quality.

More than 1800 accredited AFL journalists according to RMIT website.

• Shocked 1

7 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

Garry loves the dees but he’s also always the first one to put the boot in. Contrast that with  Cornes or Buckley or Damo . He speaks from his grumpy self but it would be good if he could be a little protective as well in the times when it’s needed. As in now. 

Disagree we choked end of story, the players & Goodwin have to cop it on the chin, suck it up and get on with it in 2024 They’ll all go on their overseas holidays & the poor supporters who pay all that extra money for a Grand final ticket will have to put up with the media vitriol 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

Garry loves the dees but he’s also always the first one to put the boot in. Contrast that with  Cornes or Buckley or Damo . He speaks from his grumpy self but it would be good if he could be a little protective as well in the times when it’s needed. As in now. 

7 hours ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

I’m sorry but why, we deserve every bit of heat that is coming our way. We blew it twice within the space of 8 days and have lost 4 finals at the MCG in 2 years. 

… because there’s no shortage of past players from other clubs now in the media who’ll happily lay the boots in at any opportunity. It hurts so much more when one of our own does it.

Personally, I can’t stand the way Garry never goes in to bat for us. Ever. I used to think it was just him overcompensating when trying to not sound biased. But now I believe that for whatever reason he just doesn’t value us. It would be so nice to have someone like a Cornes or a Buckley who (rightly or wrongly) overtly defend their clubs. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

Jibroni is correct.

No matter what you say we lost it due to poor forward line football, bad accuracy, over rough reactions to try and amend our image from being soft, poor discipline amounting to 3 50m penalties snd very bad examples of burning team mates in kicking for goal.

All of these errors basically occurred forward of centre and most inside the arc. Our football skills ie passing to our forwards was basically non existent except to Kossie after half time. I understand that we were well  short of our best forwards available which only frustrates us more as we had 26 shots to 18. Half as much again until the last minute!! 

It took 3 defensive errors in a row accumulated by match pressure to break our wall in the last minute and that disaster started forward of centre .

Such  a pity as our defence was magnificent all day and the game was also. We can hold our opponents from getting away from us but can't put the scores on to establish a lead big enough. Going from 9 to 15 points up and beyond was just do difficult as we squandered chance after chance with the errors above preventing this.

PLay this game between   2 wins in the home  and away season it's a great game for both sides. But a cut throat Semi elimination Final after a close similar loss the week prior is a  crime which we have orchestrated ourselves, similar to half a dozen seasons games with similar endings.

Thats why the press and critics have the right ( as does Garry Lyon) to come hard and examine the reasons, etc. 

We have lost 9 games conceding only 73 points, that's why we all are so frustrated and disappointed plus the events of the previous match and the resulting farce of a Tribunal followed up by a weaker than p..s effort not to contest the Appeal with some relevant questions. 

Read  the Magazine or news The Roar and in its opinion Maynard meant every action snd made not one effort to avoid any contact with Angus. Nor did he show any genuine remorse. Once he realised he might be in trouble he was no doubt advised to do the Flowers Chocs snd phone calls and visit. Then the facade of how we care for Angus started in the media.

Dear old Eddie everywhere again gave every one a reason for all to dislike him. Disgraceful charade by Cwood and the AFL. 

Who knows if it was still in our players minds maybe haunting them just enough to affect their form on Friday night. 

I will say they were shell shocked in Round 2 at the Gabba when I was there when Max went down injured  and no one knew what to do. It is a bit relevant and leaves us open to a clash like Maynard performed.

This aspect and our close losses plus horrible forward line snd list and trade choices  will make for  a very crucial and busy off season in our prep for redemption in 2024. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

From what I saw the KO affected the QF but not the SF. 

Agree, though for me, not enough acknowledgement of the importance of Brayshaw's absence in the two finals - which we weren't able to cover. He was having his best season for quite a while.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

given there are about 800 listed players, that is >2 journos per player

astounding 

Probably takes the combined output of 50 journos to get an ounce of sense though...

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Probably takes the combined output of 50 journos to get an ounce of sense though...

Depends how carefully you crush them.

Oooh, a reduction sauce might work;

"Different components of the liquid will evaporate at slightly different temperatures, and the goal of reduction is to drive away those with lowest points of evaporation... simmering allows impurities to collect at the top and be skimmed off periodically..."

Could try a consomme but there aren't enough egg whites on this earth.

• Haha 2

Fair bit of shoot the messenger in this thread.

It is not the role of a journalist or commentator to protect his or her of old club. That is delusional.

When you lose four finals in a row you will get heavily criticised. Some criticism will be warranted. Some  will be off the mark. Just like this website. And I would back posters on Demonland to know more about their team than some of the 1,800 accredited journalists!

For what it's worth I'm a believer in things usually are not as good nor as bad as they seem.

Edited by dee-tox
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

21 minutes ago, Spargonicus said:

Love Garry the player. But to be blunt, he’s a gutless wonder ever since.

How about actually contributing to the process, Gaz. 

How ??

Blindingly obvious surely.

Calling spades spades....

Gotta be done

3 hours ago, bing181 said:

Agree, though for me, not enough acknowledgement of the importance of Brayshaw's absence in the two finals - which we weren't able to cover. He was having his best season for quite a while.

100% this.

Brayshaw plays out that QF and we win. Through to a home prelim and a big chance to make the GF.

Also Petty out, Melk out. The stars just didn’t align unfortunately. You do need a run of good fortune to win this thing. 

Gut tells me no-one’s beating Brisbane this year anyway. They’ve just got that ‘feel’ about them. Fix our forward line and we can get back there I’ve got no doubt in mind. 

The heart burn of these two close losses might actually be a blessing in disguise and propel the lads to glory in 2024. 

All this hand-wringing from the talking heads … they can stick it where the sun don’t shine. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, samcantstandya said:

Me too stopped listening to SEN and telly

Admittedly, his breakfast program with Tim Watson is as chringeworthy as anything gets. They have literally nothing to talk about and end up talking about absolute rubbish, I mean absolute rubbish, especially when the AFL season is over. I made the habit of just leaving on the station driving a while back, but absolutely do not listen at all anymore.