• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: SF vs Carlton

Demonland

Really reckon they should have picked Grundy for this one. Max resting at FF isn't a bad shout at all, he competes hard and would probably nullify their tall interceptors. At his best he can dominate the F50, remember 3rd quarter of the PF 2021? Anyway, not gonna happen now.

They've picked a heck of a time to gamble so radically with the forward/ruck setup. Losing Jackson has absolutely put us backwards way worse than I ever anticipated.

Edited by leucopogon
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thinking about this a bit more, Carlton are poor once the ball gets on the outside. My thinking is that we’ll try and get the ball into space and run in and behind their defenders. The Carlton defence plays back shoulder, you need to beat them with a bit of speed and mobility.

Maybe Goody was inspired by Longmire’s decision to sub Amarti and go small which led to the Swans almost running over the top?

Either way, I think Schache needs to be sub to give us some insurance in case Gawn goes down or if we’re getting out marked badly down in our forward 50.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

Really reckon they should have picked Grundy for this one. Max resting at FF isn't a bad shout at all, he competes hard and would probably nullify their tall interceptors. At his best he can dominate the F50, remember 3rd quarter of the PF 2021? Anyway, not gonna happen now.

They've picked a heck of a time to gamble so radically with the forward/ruck setup. Losing Jackson has absolutely put us backwards way worse than I ever anticipated.

I agree, Jackson is a big loss that we haven't fixed.

• Like 3

Whats the general consensus on how the midfield would go if we didn't have Gawn (or Grundy) 'dominating' hitouts... would we win more clearances, due to an ability to shark the opponents hitouts?

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

Statistically Grundy was almost identical to  what Jackson was on 2021. Granted, Jackson is a better forward but not by a lot.

The problem is Gawn has struggled playing with a second ruck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Yikes. So when Tmac is rucking we have no tall forwards.

Highly unlikely we ruck T-Mac at CBs.

Joel Smith.

T-Mac as the solitary tall forward although they might rest Max there on occasions.

The midfield is a bit of an issue for mine. They beat us in there in Rd 22 when we had Brayshaw in, and they were missing Walsh and cerra. Now they're both back in and we have ...JJ. Ouch. 

Overall the team is NQR and I think we all know it. Wish us luck ...

Edited by fr_ap
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Neitas bump said:

The only reason I can see McDonald in the team is because he can ruck the forward boundary throw ins and Max can drop a kick behind the play. But why pick McDonald for this role when we have Grundy available. That really makes no sense.

McDonald offered no forward pressure, no aerial contest and was to slow on the lead last week. 

I'm baffled by that decision 

McDonald may be better for the run and has better forward craft than Grundy. It was probably a toss of the coin.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Voss is hedging his bets with Silvagni.  Says he is available but hasn't played a game for over a month.  It is rare for a player with his # of preseasons to come back via the VFL.  .

They have lost a tall fwd have an injured #1 ruckman and only Silvagni covers both positions.  Pittoney and DeK are not fwds and they need another tall to help Curnow otherwise Curnow will be in for a harrowing night!! 

If he isn't selected tonight I would expect a late change tomorrow.

Mind games...!

Voss ruled Silvagni out. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think we are short up forward per se, we have TMac, Smith, and Fritsch.

So shorter than some, but all three play as KPF not "smalls" (ok we could classify Fritach and Smith as medium but you get me).

I like the Spargo move in that I think he is one of our best field kicks and best users of the ball going forward. He isn't there to kick goals, he is there to lower the eyes and get dangerous ball inside the 50 I think.

That being said, it is an underwhelming selection for me!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rufus said:

This game won't be won or lost at selection. Like almost every other game of professional Australian rules football ever played, it'll be won by the team that can apply and absorb pressure for the longest.

It's also won and lost by lots and lots of contests all throughout the match. The men selected are the ones who need to win the majority of those contests to win the match. I agree that pressure is of great importance but team selection also is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Small detail but i hope we are wearing OUR home strip tommorow night.

I like our away Guernsey don't get me wrong, but we are the HOME team.

As the higher ranked team, we’ll be wearing it as the home team. 

2 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

I havent listened to SEN for a decade... so 😁

Explain Facebook Live GIF

either grab the app on your phone, or if you have a digital radio you should be able to tune into SEN radio. Under Fanatics there is a biased call for

Carlton: Wayne Johnson, Andy Maher and Mark McClure doing commentary

Melb: Russell Robertson, Tom Morris and Lily Mithen.

None of the [censored] with Brian Taylor etc, it's a one eyed call where they scream at the umps like we do.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Statistically Grundy was almost identical to  what Jackson was on 2021. Granted, Jackson is a better forward but not by a lot.

The problem is Gawn has struggled playing with a second ruck.

Statistics don't tell the whole story. Jackson was/is a freak and he's only gotten better since he left us. We better use those draft picks wisely.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

So ... Chaps...Chapettes..  ( anything in between  )....

How do we feel about the looks of the team ?

Take all brouhaha and mock excitement away...   are we booking tix for Brissy... or checking out the Specials Board at Kooroora ?? 

I'm disappointed as to where we sit.

I fear another wasted year...

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Whats the general consensus on how the midfield would go if we didn't have Gawn (or Grundy) 'dominating' hitouts... would we win more clearances, due to an ability to shark the opponents hitouts?

Viney might shark the odd tap.   Kozzy also but would need to ensure he's attending CBs when Max is resting.

Kozzy should be playing significant minutes in there vs his usual average times anyway imho.  We didn't play him through there enougb last week.  He's finally learning the ropes there and becoming quite effective.  Not sure why Goody didn't persevere with this.

Might also help him shake off any tag and get involved early.  Then drift goal side of the stoppages around ground. 

Be can also use his elite skills and pace / agility out of stoppage to hit up a few targets insside 50.  An area of the game where we are usually pretty shizen.  The Pies showed us up in this area (last kick inside 50) last week.

1 minute ago, H_T said:

As the higher ranked team, we’ll be wearing it as the home team. 

I fuggin hope so @H_T that's what logic will tell you but the AFL and logic don't go together that well.

• Vomit 1

I’m completely confused

1- Hibbo OUT ???! Omitted. wtf. One of our best last week. I’m confused. 

2- No Grundy ??!?!?! Wtf  our ruck is under an injury cloud. he’s probably packed his bags already. Goodys trial failed and he’s on the outer (on a plane bound for Sydney town) 

3-???? Spargo IN Wtf. 🤯🤯He’s had a poor year and very average at Casey. Goodys lovechild rises again. 

4- Tomlinson?? IN.  Forward or back ??? Maybe he’s the new forward option 🤯🤯

No Petty. No Melksham.  No Brayshaw. No JVR. Weakest team in 2023 

my changes.
In. JJ. Grundy. 
outs. JVR Brayshaw 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I think it will be fine. It's not as though we always dominate clearances when Max rucks. Tackling will be critical though assuming that the baggers get first hands on the ball. 

17 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

Hyperbole. We’ve got great picks in this draft for Jackson and if Petty, Melksham and Brayshaw were fit we’d be in the Prelim as flag favourites. 

• Like 1

Like the selections and I've got a good feeling about this game. 

A key man down in Brayshaw, I don't think our forward line could have functioned any worse and or we have missed soo many gettable shots at goal.  And yet we nearly still won it.

Listening to the likes of Gawn and Patracca, I think there's a determination and confidence that we can turn our performance last week around, just like we did with our form from around the mid season point when the outside football World was writing us off.

Jordan a no brainer.  Hopefully he plays like a star and cements himself a spot for the rest of the finals series, but even the standard Jordan solid output and gut running is what's required.

Tomlinson has shown enough that he's still more than capable on his day.  Perhaps the retirement announcement from Hibbo during the week was a concession that he can't quite play out a full AFL game at his and/or own standard of intensity and Tommo still can?  Also think Tommo will be playing out of his skin at this chance to play in big finals.

While Spargo's form this season hasn't exactly set the world on fire at times, something that does need to be remembered is that he's amoung the elite in the league at hitting a target inside 50 - something we sorely lacked last week.

I'd love to see Hibbo be the sub and it's a role he may still be well suited to, but equally I think we'd still get good returns out of Grundy or Schache if they get given the nod.  I think it's highly unlikely we'd have Laurie as sub again based on his lack luster performance last week, but also as we've gone fairly small in the main 22.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 2
  • Clap 2
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I’m completely confused

1- Hibbo OUT ???! Omitted. wtf. One of our best last week. I’m confused. 

2- No Grundy ??!?!?! Wtf  our ruck is under an injury cloud. he’s probably packed his bags already. Goodys trial failed and he’s on the outer (on a plane bound for Sydney town) 

3-???? Spargo IN Wtf. 🤯🤯He’s had a poor year and very average at Casey. Goodys lovechild rises again. 

4- Tomlinson?? IN.  Forward or back ??? Maybe he’s the new forward option 🤯🤯

No Petty. No Melksham.  No Brayshaw. No JVR. Weakest team in 2023 

my changes.
In. JJ. Grundy. 
outs. JVR Brayshaw 

Grundy is not in the right frame of mind Norm to be playing a game of this magnitude.

He's already on the beach.

• Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1