Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Demons great Depth


Bobby McKenzie

Recommended Posts

For many weeks now we have been winning games with at least 6 of our premiership team not playing for one reason or another. Against Hawthorn, not a bad side, we had just 14 of our Premiership team playing and yet we still won the game well. How many clubs could manage that and still be in the top 4 with the best percentage of all teams? Geelong lose Selwood and crash. All this despite some posters saying over and over again we lack depth. Thoughts?

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm... very loosely group by role / part of the field.

McDonald, Brown, Fritsch, Petty,

Dunstan, Jordan, Harmes,

Spargo, Woewodin

Grundy

Hibberd,

 

I think we've had our depth severely tested for tall/marking forwards, but other than that there's not a lot missing.

Right at this moment I think it is Melksham who has kept us in the hunt by giving us a contested target against all odds.

Melksham is basically the bioluminescent algae story from Apollo 13.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked at Jake and he has turned back the clock to 2018 when he was sensational I believe his poor form in the last 2/3 years may have been attributed to his very young family and a lack of sleep.

When Gary Hardiman returned from SA and played for the MFC his poor form I attributed to his job as a Fisherman who started work at 4:00am.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe Bobbie, not saying you're wrong but offering an opposing point of view, is depth overrated at times?

We took a while to cover Oliver but when we got a mix back in the middle that worked it's arguable to think we were better. This week Newcombe and Lewis were out for the Hawks yet Worpel stepped up and others from the Hawks helped out. Would they have beaten us with those two in the team. I doubt it. Last week my Carlton mates were carrying on about their outs in Cerra, Walsh, McKay and others, would they have actually won the game (coz they didn't) with those players in the team? Not sure. 

Fritta who is our best forward over the last 3 years by a fair margin comes back in to the team hopefully this week. I thought we were just starting to cover Petty in the second half against Hawthorn. Will we be better with Fritta back? Certainly in the long run but again it may take a while. 

Of all Collingwoods outs I think maybe the one they missed the most this week was Bobbie Hill.

Some teams can cover loss well if they have a ready player. Some players are irreplaceable and no amount of depth can cover their loss.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depth cannot replace Oliver or Petracca or Fritsch or May or Lever or Viney or Gawn whose talents and contributions are monumental.

Depth can ensure that we have well prepared and coached contributors but cannot maintain the high standard that we need.

Without Fritsch, TMac, BBB and Petty no amount of depth could replace what they could contribute at their respective best and it showed against the dorks.

Where we do have depth is across all lines where the backs and the midfielders dominance helped overcome the deficiencies in the forward line.

The return of Fritsch and perhaps a fully fit TMac will make a big difference.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is depth ?

We've had a successful VFL team for several years so as a group the players do well. Individually it's harder to say as the gameplan (boundary with lots of throw ins and packs) does not lend itself to line busting displays.

Weideman's failure to progress and injuries to aging stars in TMac and BBB badly exposed us for forward depth. Schache seems to be a bust. Midfield is not full of up and comers. Flankers we have a few but none are standouts. Down back is probably a little stronger.

Ruck wise (Grundy aside) there's no one as yet.

Perhaps I'm being harsh as we no longer see the revolving ins and outs of the bottom 5 players we used to see.

Then there is the question of whether depth is useful. Tomlinson and Jordon (both great depth) want out. Preuss (great depth) wanted out and we hear the same of Harmes. Where will Dunstan go at season's end

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We lost Luke Jackson. As Grundy hasn’t proven useful we’ve effectively replaced him with JVR.

Hibbo has been replaced by McVee.

Those 2 are the good news stories.

Chandler for Spargo is a wash, nice to have both so we have competition. That’s ok depth.

BBB and T Mc aren’t up to afl standard any more. We’re getting by with Smith and Melk who are classic depth players. Undersized and not convinced they are really up to it but Melk is having a decent crack. 

Petty hasn’t been covered by Tomlinson. 

Laurie for Fritsch. Hmm, not convinced.

Hunter for Harmes (with Gus moving on ball). Not exactly making huge strides there.

Looks like a list that needs 2 or 3 first round picks, some smart tall pick ups with at least 1 quality best 22 tall and maybe even a trade for a proper outside runner to really get back to being a complete list with talent in every position. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We lost Bedford and Hunt due to salary cap and competition for spots, whilst we’ve covered both they would’ve been very useful.

Apart from early picks or trades we need at least one of Howes, Laurie, Woey, AMW, Disco to become best 22 next year. And a bunch of them to become genuine options.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

We lost Luke Jackson. As Grundy hasn’t proven useful we’ve effectively replaced him with JVR.

Hibbo has been replaced by McVee.

Those 2 are the good news stories.

Chandler for Spargo is a wash, nice to have both so we have competition. That’s ok depth.

BBB and T Mc aren’t up to afl standard any more. We’re getting by with Smith and Melk who are classic depth players. Undersized and not convinced they are really up to it but Melk is having a decent crack. 

Petty hasn’t been covered by Tomlinson. 

Laurie for Fritsch. Hmm, not convinced.

Hunter for Harmes (with Gus moving on ball). Not exactly making huge strides there.

Looks like a list that needs 2 or 3 first round picks, some smart tall pick ups with at least 1 quality best 22 tall and maybe even a trade for a proper outside runner to really get back to being a complete list with talent in every position. 

I heard us being linked to Max Holmes yesterday.  Apparently he is keen to leave sleepy hollow.  Geelong in full re-build mode may be interested in parting with him but at a price I would imagine

Edited by Salems Lot
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Salems Lot said:

I heard us being linked to Max Holmes yesterday.  Apparently he is keen to leave sleepy hollow.  Geelong in full re-build mode may be intereded in parting with him but at a price I would imagine

I can’t imagine Geelong would willingly trade their best young player just to draft another young player. But yeah, we should absolutely be doing all we can to get him. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, durango said:

I looked at Jake and he has turned back the clock to 2018 when he was sensational I believe his poor form in the last 2/3 years may have been attributed to his very young family and a lack of sleep.

When Gary Hardiman returned from SA and played for the MFC his poor form I attributed to his job as a Fisherman who started work at 4:00am.

What an odd comment. You may as well speculate his poor form was due to staying up all night with an x box addiction.

And Gary Hardeman (with an e) a fisherman  ?????

His poor form was because he was older & way past his best.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I can’t imagine Geelong would willingly trade their best young player just to draft another young player. But yeah, we should absolutely be doing all we can to get him. 

Agreed but the individual player seems to have far more power these days. Personally, with our list the way it is we are tailor made to go to the draft. (IMHO)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

Hmm... very loosely group by role / part of the field.

McDonald, Brown, Fritsch, Petty,

Dunstan, Jordan, Harmes,

Spargo, Woewodin

Grundy

Hibberd,

 

I think we've had our depth severely tested for tall/marking forwards, but other than that there's not a lot missing.

Right at this moment I think it is Melksham who has kept us in the hunt by giving us a contested target against all odds.

Melksham is basically the bioluminescent algae story from Apollo 13.

We've been a bit unlucky with injuries for the taller forward options. Injuries haven't really been spread out too much in the squad.  Some trading/drafting to help this in 2024 and another pre-season in options like Jeffo and Sestan will help.

Its funny myself and a few others at the start of the season were posting about nursing Melksham to 100 games with us but he has been an important player this season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one thing that may be overlooked is our list's flexibility.

Trac can go forward, Rivers can attack from HB, Bowey and McVee are great users of the footy and can go up the flank/wing, Petty a great tall both in D and O, JVR is not too shabby in the ruck, Smith the super sub that can go back or fwd, Kozzy getting involved in the midfield, Our skipper all around player, Sparrow with his Viney like attributes.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

For many weeks now we have been winning games with at least 6 of our premiership team not playing for one reason or another. Against Hawthorn, not a bad side, we had just 14 of our Premiership team playing and yet we still won the game well. How many clubs could manage that and still be in the top 4 with the best percentage of all teams? Geelong lose Selwood and crash. All this despite some posters saying over and over again we lack depth. Thoughts?

And not to mention Brian Dixon, Ron Barassi and Frank Adams.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

I heard us being linked to Max Holmes yesterday.  Apparently he is keen to leave sleepy hollow.  Geelong in full re-build mode may be interested in parting with him but at a price I would imagine

A bit tough on Melksham but that is the group think around here.

You're correct about BBB and TMac though

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

We lost Bedford and Hunt due to salary cap and competition for spots, whilst we’ve covered both they would’ve been very useful.

How useful? Not one result would've been changed, nor would be changed going forward with them in the team.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every team has issues with depth. There are some players incredibly difficult or can’t be replaced, nor multiple players for a position e.g. Bbb, TMac and Petty - I’m sure FD would have thought one of those players would have filled a key forward position!

Also hope that Grundy/Max would add to forward line.

Grundy has covered for Max, and Schache back up to Grundy!

Someone has to replace Grundy as backup for Max if they trade him!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, roy11 said:

We've been a bit unlucky with injuries for the taller forward options. Injuries haven't really been spread out too much in the squad.  Some trading/drafting to help this in 2024 and another pre-season in options like Jeffo and Sestan will help.

Its funny myself and a few others at the start of the season were posting about nursing Melksham to 100 games with us but he has been an important player this season.

Melky is an intelligent, skilful player.Kee playing him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depth or development. I love the way we have bought players in and developed them.

What other premiership contender has 2 first year players in key role ie JVR & McVee? In addition they have introduced Laurie, Woewodin, Chandler & Turner from last years Casey premiership team. They aren't like for like replacing Brown, Oliver or TMac but they are our future. Likewise Verral, Jefferson & Adams aren't depth but I like they way they are progressing and will be the replacements for those premiership players. Petty I hope is going to be a revelation up forward if he can get his feet right. Think David Neits moving from CHB to forward. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

What other premiership contender has 2 first year players in key role ie JVR & McVee?

Most do and neither of those named are first year players.

I'd like to see some figures on Richmond and the other (or near 3peats) but the turnover is (my guess) 6 players in 3 years.

Renew or Whither is the general rule

You also need to distinguish between depth and renewal. Not sure that they are the same

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, John Demonic said:

How useful? Not one result would've been changed, nor would be changed going forward with them in the team.

Hunt would've provided cover for Bowey and Salem who are both playing through niggles or fatigue at the moment, possibly enough to see us beat Carlton a week ago. McVee's been great so we haven't missed Hunt but he would've been a very good depth player as he was the last 2 years.

Bedford could very much be best 22 and making an impact. He's gone up a level at the Giants and is playing good footy. I was never a huge fan of his game but the club seemed very keen to keep him and I can see why.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Older demon said:

What other premiership contender has 2 first year players in key role ie JVR & McVee?

BRIS: Ashcroft/Fletcher and Wilmot

CARL: Hollands

STK: NWM, Owens, Caminiti for most of the year and recently Windhager too plus Philipou hasn't left the side

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Turner said:

BRIS: Ashcroft/Fletcher and Wilmot

CARL: Hollands

STK: NWM, Owens, Caminiti for most of the year and recently Windhager too plus Philipou hasn't left the side

 

 

STK and CARL are not premiership contenders 😏

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 34

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 287

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...