Harley Reid

dazzledavey36

FWIW, I've tried to look at the upcoming draft and noted that once all the F/S and academy picks and possible high compensation for B. McKay our picks will look like this, not necessarily who we pick but our second pick notionally 15 will actually blow out to 21, so pushing for H. Reid should be a priority. Not saying my draft is perfect but wanted to see where our pick 15 falls. The numbers in front of each person's name is from another person's draft as I was too lazy to rewrite all the names.

1 WCE 1 Harley Reid
2 GC 2 Jed Walter GC academy
3 NMFC 6 Dan Curtin
4 NMFC 7 Colby McKercher B. Mckay Compensation
5 HAW 4 Nick Watson
6 GC 9 Ethan Read* GC academy
7 MELB 5 Zane Duursma
8 ADEL 3 Nate Caddy
9 NMFC 8 Ryley Sanders NGA
10 GC 15 Jake Rogers GC academy
11 SYD 12 Connor O'Sullivan
12 WB 11 Jordan Croft WB F/S
13 ADEL 14 Darcy Wilson
14 HAW 16 Will McCabe HFC F/S
15 ESS 10 Mitch Edwards*
16 GWS 18 Ollie Murphy
17 CARL 35 Archie Roberts
18 GEEL 31 Riley Hardeman
19 GWS 24 Harry Demattia
20 STK 43 Will Green*
21 MELB 13 Koltyn Tholstrup
22 NMFC 17 Archer Reid
23 COLL 19 Jack Delean
24 WCE 20 Logan Evans
25 ADEL 21 George Stevens
26 FREO 22 Joel Freijah
27 SYD 23 Will Lorenz
28 MELB 25 Luamon Lual

Edited by Viscount Cardwell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

FWIW, I've tried to look at the upcoming draft and noted that once all the F/S and academy picks and possible high compensation for B. McKay our picks will look like this, not necessarily who we pick but our second pick notionally 15 will actually blow out to 21, so pushing for H. Reid should be a priority…

Thanks for the post. I said in another draft thread that this draft sounded heavily compromised and it may even be worth trading out to next year instead. Your analysis showing how far out our picks could be pushed makes me think either we go all in on Reid or partially opt out of this draft altogether. Good food for thought, and I hope the recruiters are working through it with a decisive plan.

• Like 2

Fair effort there.

You can see how compromised this draft is and potentially can be. Makes me further keen on trading up for Reid. If North get pick 3 I reckon that opportunity shuts.

If we opt out of the draft @Lord Travis I presume you mean with our later selections. We are unlikely to do better than pick 4 unless we can nab a future first off West Coast or North. Even then, bird in the hand and all that.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Fair effort there.

You can see how compromised this draft is and potentially can be. Makes me further keen on trading up for Reid. If North get pick 3 I reckon that opportunity shuts.

If we opt out of the draft @Lord Travis I presume you mean with our later selections. We are unlikely to do better than pick 4 unless we can nab a future first off West Coast or North. Even then, bird in the hand and all that.

Yeah you’d keep pick 4 and take it to draft unless it can be traded for a proven AFL gun (eg a star like Curnow or young gun like Noah Anderson). We haven’t heard about anything like that yet so doubt it’s on the cards.

Those 2nd round picks look pretty worthless for our current list stage unless we draft more speculative young talls and hope for the best.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

FWIW, I've tried to look at the upcoming draft and noted that once all the F/S and academy picks and possible high compensation for B. McKay our picks will look like this, not necessarily who we pick but our second pick notionally 15 will actually blow out to 21, so pushing for H. Reid should be a priority. Not saying my draft is perfect but wanted to see where our pick 15 falls. The numbers in front of each person's name is from another person's draft as I was too lazy to rewrite all the names.

1 WCE 1 Harley Reid
2 GC 2 Jed Walter GC academy
3 NMFC 6 Dan Curtin
4 NMFC 7 Colby McKercher B. Mckay Compensation
5 HAW 4 Nick Watson
6 GC 9 Ethan Read* GC academy
7 MELB 5 Zane Duursma
8 ADEL 3 Nate Caddy
9 NMFC 8 Ryley Sanders NGA
10 GC 15 Jake Rogers GC academy
11 SYD 12 Connor O'Sullivan
12 WB 11 Jordan Croft WB F/S
13 ADEL 14 Darcy Wilson
14 HAW 16 Will McCabe HFC F/S
15 ESS 10 Mitch Edwards*
16 GWS 18 Ollie Murphy
17 CARL 35 Archie Roberts
18 GEEL 31 Riley Hardeman
19 GWS 24 Harry Demattia
20 STK 43 Will Green*
21 MELB 13 Koltyn Tholstrup
22 NMFC 17 Archer Reid
23 COLL 19 Jack Delean
24 WCE 20 Logan Evans
25 ADEL 21 George Stevens
26 FREO 22 Joel Freijah
27 SYD 23 Will Lorenz
28 MELB 25 Luamon Lual

If NMFC get anything more than a 2nd rounder compensation for McKay or end of 1st round priority assistance it will be grossly unjust. I'd be happy to give them Sanders as compensation and assistance. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

If NMFC get anything more than a 2nd rounder compensation for McKay or end of 1st round priority assistance it will be grossly unjust. I'd be happy to give them Sanders as compensation and assistance. 

It's either Sanders for free OR early 1st round pick for McKay, but not both IMO.

• Like 4

On 7/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, dice said:

Great player Suma but he has been eating too many of his hallucinogenic peppers from his veggie business:

LOL. In what parallel universe are our players falling over each other to sign for West Coast because of our player welfare? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

LOL. In what parallel universe are our players falling over each other to sign for West Coast because of our player welfare? 

In all seriousness, would you trade JVR and Grundy for W.C Pick 1? 

Get Pick 5 from GC and then take 1,4,5 to the draft. FMD that would be something else.

Edited by Gawndy the Great

On 7/27/2023 at 1:43 PM, Redleg said:

Or draft Curtin with our pick and trade him back to WA for Reid in 2 years. That way it only costs you one pick and we can trade up to get other good players.

A lot of variables in that theory, Red. Anything can happen in 2 years. I'd rather develop Reid with us rather than leave WCE to f[censored] him up, and then us give them a kp gun ready to go

Edited by Stiff Arm

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

In all seriousness, would you trade JVR and Grundy for W.C Pick 1? 

Get Pick 5 from GC and then take 1,4,5 to the draft. FMD that would be something else.

Hi GtG. On the face of it that's an incredible hand to play. You could never see BG agreeing to go to WC though and JVR is going to be a rippa so unless we're getting go home vibes I'd say he's a keeper. 

• Like 1

I see that Gresham is a FA this year and has been dropped by Lyon this week. 

Should we go after him and if the Saints counter-offer, try and trade for him with our first rounder this year (not the Freo pick)?

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 3
  • Vomit 1

3 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I wouldn't!

Nth don't need a leg up, look at their list. Ryley Sanders is the All Australian Captain. How the hell can any team list a player on their Academy a couple of months prior to the draft. The whole point of the Academies are that these clubs have invested in these players over their junior years.  Even by Ryley's own words he has said that Nth have been supportive and said if there is anything they can do they will.... really? thats all it takes to be part of an Academy?

Nth's list is no where near as lame as West Coasts, and has players such as Wardlaw, Sheezel, LDU, Powell, Larkey, Phillips, Thomas, Simpkin etc. Giving them free hits in the draft just gives them 18 year old players, if they are given any assistance give them the same compo from last year. Draft currency that they have to trade out for players from other clubs.

If McKay goes, they get compensated, they should not be over compensated... 

Look at their results this year they have been competitive in a lot of their matches, only been flogged by by Melb, Geelong, Port and Brisbane and Adelaide, Break down some of the games that they have lost and they've also been in winning positions. They just need time and a good coaching style. 

On 7/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, dice said:

Great player Suma but he has been eating too many of his hallucinogenic peppers from his veggie business:

Peter Sumich: West Coast Eagles could target Melbourne Demons Jacob van Rooyen and Brodie Grundy

suma 1.png

suma 2.png

suma 3.png

Is this guy for real? 😂

He literally signed a contract extension last year 🫠

My preference is for us to keep our picks and get the best young high-end talent. If it is an all-out assault on pick 1 and Harley Reid the in Taylor I trust.

History is interesting way back when we took Scully and Trengove at 1 & 2 and Richmond took a kid at 3 who like Reid was labelled as a man-child, stronger than his peers and his stock standard move of the fend-off wouldn't stand up to the rough and tough of AFL against me. Well, I reckon Dustin Martin has been pretty damn good and has certainly been a generational talent. Richmond got the better end of that deal, didn't they?

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Older demon said:

My preference is for us to keep our picks and get the best young high-end talent. If it is an all-out assault on pick 1 and Harley Reid the in Taylor I trust.

History is interesting way back when we took Scully and Trengove at 1 & 2 and Richmond took a kid at 3 who like Reid was labelled as a man-child, stronger than his peers and his stock standard move of the fend-off wouldn't stand up to the rough and tough of AFL against me. Well, I reckon Dustin Martin has been pretty damn good and has certainly been a generational talent. Richmond got the better end of that deal, didn't they?

Our fault for not taking Martin. He put in a great carnival. We just had our blinkers on with Scully. 

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

Is this guy for real? 😂

He literally signed a contract extension last year 🫠

Sports editor must've been desperate for a headline.

Anything to give the WA fans some sort of hope to cling on to for 2024

Hilarious stuff from Peter gobbledegook Sumich

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:23 PM, BDA said:

If i was to trade JVR I'd want more than pick 1. Kid is going to be a gun.

I’d think JVR wouldn’t even be the first West Australian the eagles would ask for. More likely they’d chase Rivers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

I’d think JVR wouldn’t even be the first West Australian the eagles would ask for. More likely they’d chase Rivers.

Oscar Allen and JVR would be a pretty potent double act. 

Rivers would be a good option for them as well though.

Come to think of it most Western Australians playing outside of WA would be good options for them given the state of their list.

• Like 2