• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tassie game vs North Melbourne

gOLLy

Hi everyone.

Does anyone have a idea or inkling when this game will be played at Blunstone area?

Thinking of going over for the game and trying to book flights accommodation.

Cheers if you know anything.

• Thanks 1

Booked the first flight down Friday and the last flight back on Sunday a while ago when Jetstar had a sale on. Will worry about getting an airbnb in town a bit closer to the date. By the time the AFL have finished fannying around with the time slots for that round the airfares will be ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

19 minutes ago, Demons1858 said:

Im just happy we play norf twice

Don't get me wrong, i'll take it but t is nuts that we get to play them twice. Just nuts.

For a team that is second fav for the flag (and should be fav) that is such a big leg up - basically gifted 8 points and a big percentage boost.

And it's not just the fact we play the Roos twice. It's when we play them.

The first game was enough into the season that their early zip and we have Clarkson good vibes had worn off.

And as dees fans so painfully know from long experience, by round 21 genuine bottom teams are out of gas, their stars are being managed, any post season surgeries are brought forward and are more likely trying to win the wooden spoon than games of footy.

The handicap fixturing system is a complete joke. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, binman said:

Don't get me wrong, i'll take it but t is nuts that we get to play them twice. Just nuts.

For a team that is second fav for the flag (and should be fav) that is such a big leg up - basically gifted 8 points and a big percentage boost.

The first game was enough into the season that their early zip and we have Clarkson good vibes had worn off.

And as dees fans so painfully know from long experience, by round 21 genuine bottom teams are out of gas, their stars are being managed, any post season surgeries are brought forward and are more likely trying to win the wooden spoon than games of footy.

Yes, but last year we were bundled out of the finals and finished outside the top 4 so not sure this season matters

Edited by Demons1858

On 5/8/2023 at 3:39 PM, binman said:

On the other hand, Geelong finished top 4 in 2021 and had a dream fixture in 2022 which allowed it to rest up key players in the run up to the finals. 

Why should Melbourne which finished fifth last year not have to play Norf Tassie twice in a season?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/8/2023 at 2:52 PM, tilly18 said:

I've booked Monday to Friday as well.

I was there for the 2021 game. Customs house hotel on Saturday night was a sea of red and blue. 

Fantastic pub.

Hobart my favourite trip venue.

Thanks for the advice. I booked this Pub for 2 nights

3 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

On the other hand, Geelong finished top 4 in 2021 and had a dream fixture in 2022 which allowed it to rest up key players in the run up to the finals. 

Why should Melbourne which finished fifth last year not have to play Norf Tassie twice in a season?

Of course, happy to play them under the current system 

But my point is that current sytem is rubbish.

Play each team once, alternating home game. 

Then work out some system to get the additional games for the broadcast deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Of course, happy to play them under the current system 

But my point is that current sytem is rubbish.

Play each team once, alternating home game. 

Then work out some system to get the additional games for the broadcast deal.

Want to actually give that a crack?

Yes, the current system is flawed, but I am yet to hear of another system that isn't also flawed in some other way.

Aside from a 34-game season, there is no magical answer to this question and there are only flawed options.

Waiting until everyone's played 17 games to get the top, middle and bottom 6 and then fixturing based off that has major issues - why bust a gut to finish 6th by Round 17 when you could "tank", finish 7th and get a massively easier fixture? It's also hard enough for fans to not have dates/times locked in if you're not even going to schedule opponents, let alone venues, until, what, a week out?

Yes, it's nuts that we get North twice this year. But we were also given Sydney (runner up), Brisbane (preliminary finalist), Richmond (finalist) and Carlton (expected finalist) twice. We also have the most interstate travel of any Victorian side other than the two who sell home games to Tasmania. We also have to go to Geelong. We've also had a number of short breaks so far (next week into Port Adelaide will be our fourth 5 or 6 day break so far, I'd wager that's as much as anyone's had this year).

• Like 4

23 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Want to actually give that a crack?

Yes, the current system is flawed, but I am yet to hear of another system that isn't also flawed in some other way.

Aside from a 34-game season, there is no magical answer to this question and there are only flawed options.

Waiting until everyone's played 17 games to get the top, middle and bottom 6 and then fixturing based off that has major issues - why bust a gut to finish 6th by Round 17 when you could "tank", finish 7th and get a massively easier fixture? It's also hard enough for fans to not have dates/times locked in if you're not even going to schedule opponents, let alone venues, until, what, a week out?

Yes, it's nuts that we get North twice this year. But we were also given Sydney (runner up), Brisbane (preliminary finalist), Richmond (finalist) and Carlton (expected finalist) twice. We also have the most interstate travel of any Victorian side other than the two who sell home games to Tasmania. We also have to go to Geelong. We've also had a number of short breaks so far (next week into Port Adelaide will be our fourth 5 or 6 day break so far, I'd wager that's as much as anyone's had this year).

The 17-5 or 17-6 fixture option wouldn’t be as simple as that. It would be more beneficial to finish 6th than 7th because you would be playing for a double chance, and you would be guaranteed to make the finals regardless of how the last 5 or 6 games went. You would also be playing the better sides, so would be better prepared when the real finals actually start. Sides finishing 7th to 12th would only be playing for the last two spots in the finals.

I really cannot see why this system hasn’t been given a shot, although there are a few weaknesses (with the bottom third).

The main problem is 13th onwards would be barred from finals. In a close right season, after round 17, 13th might only be a win or two off the 8, so putting a line through them that early is no doubt a turn off.

Also, working out any incentive for the teams finishing 13th to 18th, in those last 5 or 6 games. One of the incentives at the moment for such teams is to ‘knock off a contender and stamp your mark’, bit like we did against Hawthorn in 2016. Beating a fellow struggler mightn’t have that factor.

15 hours ago, Glorious Day said:

The 17-5 or 17-6 fixture option wouldn’t be as simple as that. It would be more beneficial to finish 6th than 7th because you would be playing for a double chance, and you would be guaranteed to make the finals regardless of how the last 5 or 6 games went. You would also be playing the better sides, so would be better prepared when the real finals actually start. Sides finishing 7th to 12th would only be playing for the last two spots in the finals.

I really cannot see why this system hasn’t been given a shot, although there are a few weaknesses (with the bottom third).

The main problem is 13th onwards would be barred from finals. In a close right season, after round 17, 13th might only be a win or two off the 8, so putting a line through them that early is no doubt a turn off.

Also, working out any incentive for the teams finishing 13th to 18th, in those last 5 or 6 games. One of the incentives at the moment for such teams is to ‘knock off a contender and stamp your mark’, bit like we did against Hawthorn in 2016. Beating a fellow struggler mightn’t have that factor.

You're essentially making my point, just in a different way - this system is flawed too.

Why rule out a third of the comp for the last 6 weeks of the season? Are they all just going to stop playing? Or are we going to have a third of the matches every single week as dead rubbers between sides whose off-seasons have already started?

Meanwhile the first 17 rounds won't be consistent - some sides will, for example, get Brisbane or Adelaide on the road, others will get them at home. Is it fair to cut off the side in 7th who might miss out to 6th by percentage if 7th, for example, copped Brisbane, Adelaide, Port Adelaide and Geelong away, whereas 6th's road trips were to West Coast, GWS, Gold Coast and Fremantle?

• Like 1

Not fussed on the time as I have a 30 minute drive and 10 minute walk to the ground. Suspect it will be a red Sherrin game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

You're essentially making my point, just in a different way - this system is flawed too.

Why rule out a third of the comp for the last 6 weeks of the season? Are they all just going to stop playing? Or are we going to have a third of the matches every single week as dead rubbers between sides whose off-seasons have already started?

Meanwhile the first 17 rounds won't be consistent - some sides will, for example, get Brisbane or Adelaide on the road, others will get them at home. Is it fair to cut off the side in 7th who might miss out to 6th by percentage if 7th, for example, copped Brisbane, Adelaide, Port Adelaide and Geelong away, whereas 6th's road trips were to West Coast, GWS, Gold Coast and Fremantle?

All very good and valid points

• 1 month later...

Apologies for starting a random thread so far out - any recommendations for a supporters hotel in Launceston for the North match?

Edited by Grapeviney
Title change

• Grapeviney changed the title to Tassie game vs North Melbourne - recommendations
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.

This ground is the second last ground I haven't been too and I'm heading over.

Will the Deez have any functions or hospitality available at the ground?

Which end do the cheer squad sit and how can obtain tickets to either of these areas?

Any other areas of the ground should I look at that may be an option?

Cheers

Edited by gOLLy

On 7/4/2023 at 9:27 AM, Engorged Onion said:

Apologies for starting a random thread so far out - any recommendations for a supporters hotel in Launceston for the North match?

We play at Blundstone Arena in Hobart, EO. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1

• Demonland changed the title to Tassie game vs North Melbourne
25 minutes ago, gOLLy said:

Hi Everyone.

Which end do the cheer squad sit and how can obtain tickets to either of these areas?

Cheers

We (cheer squad) sit at The Hill end in bays 23/24. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, gOLLy said:

Hi Everyone.

Cheers

Two years ago I bought tickets through the agency (Tek or Master, whichever handles football) in the grandstand on the wing. Seats were perfect. Some people will tell you to go GA on the hill but there's no elevation, no protection from the elements and if it's sunny you have it in your eyes the entire game.

As for hotels, anything on Salamanca Place will be howling with Demon supporters, although I do like the Customs House Hotel.

Folks used to head to Rockwall bar and grill post-match since Garry Baker ran it but Garry's retired and has sold it in the past couple of years. If you don't mind a hike up to Battery Point (15 minutes) the Shipwrights Arms Hotel has a good vibe and food, but there's no shortage of places to eat and celebrate (hopefully).

As for going to the ground, there is a ferry from Salamanca that will take you within a 10 minute walk of Bellerive so you don't need a taxi or a car.

• Love 1

A mate & I have booked space at a hotel up the hill in North Hobart. There's some nice restaurants, bars & cafes up there as opposed to all the tourist traps down around the docks. For anyone at a loose end on the Saturday Glenorchy play North Hobart (Magpies v Demons) at 1pm at the King George V Oval.  

• Like 2