TRAINING: Thursday 29th June 2023

picket fence

These dreams go on when I close my eyes
Every second of the night I live another life
These dreams that sleep when it's cold outside
Every moment I'm awake the further I'm away.

HEART

Oh my God, what a Dream I had last night, several Demonlanders were featured! And before some of you start thinking strange… It wasn’t one of those dreams at all. But it remains vivid and live and the scene was set at my training report at Casey. I arrived and then…………. Came the familiar song

Daht dar dar daaar Dat dar dar Dat the Dat Dar Dut da dar dar Dar …..

Watch the First Trailer for 'Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny' - The  Week In Nerd

And before I knew it there he Was INDIANA JONES Right before my eyes WOW

INDY “Stop STAY out of the light”

P.F “Sure Indy whatever you say”

INDY Puts out his hand in the light and a turnpike complete with Mumified remains scuttles past my nose.

INDY “ This is where FORESTAL Cashed in”

P.F “Ä competitor”?

INDY “ He was good he was very very good”…. Oh oh looks like we got company!

Fence turning around and there standing there was … Bitter but Twisted, WCW and Dazzle Davey 36!

WCW “ Where the heck am I? I was making the banner when whoosh Im now here? Oh Bloody hell Uncle Bitter is here as well, what a nightmare, whats your story”

Uncle Bitter “ I was talking to my surveyor about putting in extra security at the Mannor and all of a sudden a Whoosh and I’m Here, Fence whats going on”? Hang that’s not Dazzle Davey 36 over there is it”?”

Dazzle Davey 36 “ How did I get caught up in this Fence, I want some answers”, quick”!

P.F Dazzle man, what have you got in the kit bag, it looks like a protractor, a set square and a Copy of Peter Schokmans book “ Fitness for football” as well as a BMI Profiler and is that a Sonic Screwdriver??

Dazzle Davey 36 “ How would I know Fence, this is your STUPID DREAM??

Uncle Bitter “ He looks totally LOADED with all that apparatus”

Dazzle Davey 36 “ Don’t get me started on LOADING Uncle”!

Uncle Bitter “ CRIKEY its as Cold as a Mother in Laws Kiss down here Fence.

WCW “ I reckon I just saw a Yeti and Two Abominable Snowmen lurking”

Uncle Bitter” Hey WCW What do Collingwood supporters order from the Fish and Chip Shop”

WCW “ This better be good Bitter and Twisted”

Uncle Bitter “ GUMMY FLAKE!!! OH HO HO HO

ALL IN UNISON “FENCE WHATS GOING ON”?????

Fence turns to Indy and says “ ASK INDIANA JONES”!!

All turn to Indy who dips his fedora and smiling sartorially starts to speak.

INDY ‘’ Well as you all know I star in the next movie which sets on the mythical but possibly true device called the Dial of Destiny which is sort of a link to time travel. Each universe has a paralell and as I was fidling with this Gizmo I saw a Vision of a Bloke from your past who was a revolutionary Coach by the name of NORM SMITH. Now legend has it that he wrote a lot more about the nature of the game, set plays, strategies, Fitness and so on” Said to be manuscript in length and professionally edited and complex in nature it sets out in almost foolproof form a formula to win Premiership after Premiership after Premiership.

As such it’s a mantra for success! Norm worked at a place called Millers Rope works in Brunswick and later took over an engineering business, but one day whilst working at Millers the regular Driver took sick and an urgent order of Premium Twine was sent out to a place called Shire of Cranbourne with map reference to now where this Ground casey fields sits. Apparently the place was overum with wild animals and the farmers and locals were terrified to go out at night, hence the need to rope of farm land and keep Wild animals at Bay. Anyway Norms Manuscript was in the car and after he delivered the Rope returned to the Car to find the Manuscript GONE!!. He had locked the car and so had no idea where the Manuscript had gone. As he vainly went back to the farm house his car suddenly started sinking into the abyss that is now …. Pointing to the lake where it was never seen again….

So I am here to search for it and return it to the custodians of your Melbourne Football Club via ….

YOU FOUR PEOPLE!! You then give it to  a guy called Simon Goodwin for some INSPIRATION!!

WCW “ WOW Fence what did you have before bed to Dream this stuff up”’

Uncle Bitter “ I can personally Vouch for Fence. He only ever drinks the Good stuff, Bowlers Run Red from Dan’s at $2.99!! Chortlingly good drop

Dazzle Davey 36 “ Fence I’m expecting a big fat royalty cheque when this gets published In fact… Do you need a manager??

AND AS QUICKLY AS IT HAPPENED I WOKE UP AND REALITY SET IN!! What a dream, Ä Strange Fantastic Dream. Hmm, it didn’t really happen… DID IT!?

TRAINING REPORT 

I'll start by saying it was as cold as an exgirlfriends stare this morning at Casey. Its stark featureless lanscape drifted seemlessly into the incandescant beackdrop of a bleak rain drizzled day and as iterated it was cold.

REHAB  T MAC confined to Gym duties and KYE TURNER doing drills with medical staff

SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS.

Various drills consisting of skill implemenations of overall game plan, Run and overlap, quick in tight handball, Kicking to a leading player, ( Something we dont see enough of in MATCH CONDITIONS, plenty of run and carry and high emphasis of ball use to advantage. A couple of things I noted were 

1 Forwards were practicing shots for goals from all angles, none of this fancy around the corner stuff , all intent on a set shot routine and repetition of consistency BBB Just did not miss from anywhere.

2 Harrison Petty was training mainly in drills with defenders and Joel Smith with forwards.

3 Clarry ?? Well he didn't miss a beat did all work with main group, and was typically Clarry like. Was he going at Full pace??? This is the million dollar question, and given that at no stage did I see any of the groups in drills going at 100% intensity I would concure then that he did what was expected no less no more. IMV He is right to go so to rule him out already adds another interesting layer to the natrrative and dialogue we have been fed.

4 Fumbles? Well there was a few, and yes it was wet BUT again I bring back the intensity and skill levels required at this level. If you fumble in training , well ya going to fumble in a match where pressure really ramps up.

5 Stand out trainers, not that they were standouts but VINES and HIBBO who were both under some injury clouds were out training. From my perspective I was impressed with Verall, BBB, Grundy, Hunter, Bowser, and Thommo. Melky was clean, and I also thought Woey was very very good and cant be far of a game.

Other than that I arrived at 9.30 and left just before 11.00 I did see the scoreboard set up for what looked like match sim however I would doubt whether this would have been done during main session given timelines for play. Think emphasis today was building wet weather skills into broader game style.

Cheers P.F

• Like 7
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 4
  • Clap 7
  • Shocked 1

A great read.... both parts 🤣🤣🤣

Again intrigues me we know what can be done in the forward arc, train for it and then goes missing in games.

Speaking of missing....  the manuscript... find it ??? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, picket fence said:

1 Forwards were practicing shots for goals from all angles, none of this fancy around the corner stuff , all intent on a set shot routine and repetition of consistency BBB Just did not miss from anywhere.

Please bring this man back into the side.

Our forward line is mess at the moment for a side that is supposedly contending for the flag. Bring in someone with proven forward craft that will nail the shots that a forward is supposed to get.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Our forward line is mess at the moment for a side that is supposedly contending for the flag. Bring in someone with proven forward craft that will nail the shots that a forward is supposed to get.

Agree! He's ready and much needed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

He , BBB, might prove to be this year's Talisman . I wonder 🤔🤔 if they've earmarked him for round 17 😉

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, picket fence said:

5 Stand out trainers, not that they were standouts but VINES and HIBBO who were both under some injury clouds were out training. From my perspective I was impressed with Verall, BBB, Grundy, Hunter, Bowser, and Thommo. Melky was clean, and I also thought Woey was very very good and cant be far of a game.

I was impressed with him from what I watched of Casey on the weekend.

Think he will be a player.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

It appears they've set BBB for a 8 match season. Looked cooked, has knee drained and seems to be moving better. I reckon he'll play this week. Whether it works for us is yet to be seen. From what I've seen of him before the Geelong game he looked done. In the Geelong game he seemed to be moving much better. If he comes in, moves well, takes 6-8 marks and kicks 3 then just maybe he's not cooked just yet. It's pretty clear our whole season is set up only for finals. Nothing else matters. I remain incredibly positive about our chances.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

It appears they've set BBB for a 8 match season. Looked cooked, has knee drained and seems to be moving better. I reckon he'll play this week. Whether it works for us is yet to be seen. From what I've seen of him before the Geelong game he looked done. In the Geelong game he seemed to be moving much better. If he comes in, moves well, takes 6-8 marks and kicks 3 then just maybe he's not cooked just yet. It's pretty clear our whole season is set up only for finals. Nothing else matters. I remain incredibly positive about our chances.

Totally agree,  think they have been managing him.  He is most definitely in our best fwd line.  And if you look back Grundy and Gawn had the most impact forward of the ball when Brown was playing.

I think he unlocks a different dimension up there.  All of a sudden teams have to defend BBB, JVR, Gawn/Grundy and Fritch on the lead and in the air.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone out there think Farris W-K or Verrall will become (close will do ) the next Luke Jackson or will they go the way of our past project ruckman. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

Totally agree,  think they have been managing him.  He is most definitely in our best fwd line.  And if you look back Grundy and Gawn had the most impact forward of the ball when Brown was playing.

I think he unlocks a different dimension up there.  All of a sudden teams have to defend BBB, JVR, Gawn/Grundy and Fritch on the lead and in the air.

BBB had a great start to the year - something like 10 goals in the first couple of games before coming out of the side. 

The main thing for mine is the f50 movement. We need to create space in there but instead end up all leading to the hot spot which makes it easier for opposition defenders to work off their man and spoil / intercept. If there are set leading patterns into different areas there is a better chance to hit a target when they are isolated. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, COOLX said:

Does anyone out there think Farris W-K or Verrall will become (close will do ) the next Luke Jackson or will they go the way of our past project ruckman. 

Don't know about the next Jackson but I like the look of Verrall.

I think he will be player if he gets a clear run with injury.

Farris-White is very much a project, a longer road.

• Like 8

• Demonland changed the title to TRAINING: Thursday 29th June 2023
40 minutes ago, COOLX said:

Farris needs to bulk up and be a little cleaner with the ball.

Verrall, needs more time. They have been using him as a forward at the last couple of trainings I was at. Moves well for his size, 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Verrall, needs more time. They have been using him as a forward at the last couple of trainings I was at. Moves well for his size, 

Verrall's size is coming along nicely.  Good prospect to follow with interest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Verrall was a top under 18 ruck prospect. he is very mobile and a good pick up. Pity he got injured but has all the attributes to develop into a solid AFL footballer

• Thanks 5

4 hours ago, beelzebub said:

He , BBB, might prove to be this year's Talisman . I wonder 🤔🤔 if they've earmarked him for round 17 😉

I wonder if they will kick it to him on a lead ,which utilises his skill developed over his successful years at his previous Club.

It couldn't hurt to try , given the coach says he's been working on the forward set up for two seasons now.

Perhaps it's about time for Goody to change the script 

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, IRW said:

I wonder if they will kick it to him on a lead ,which utilises his skill developed over his successful years at his previous Club.

It couldn't hurt to try , given the coach says he's been working on the forward set up for two seasons now.

Perhaps it's about time for Goody to change the script 

IRW I believe that once the players become available the script writes itself.!!

Thanks PF a very interesting report, some very weird dreams though must have been a memorable holiday.!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kev martin said:

Farris-White is learning ruck craft (progress slow but good at Dandy Stingray’s last weekend) and at getting his hands on the football (2 touches at the Stingrays - slow progress).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, COOLX said:

Great report thanks mr fence

COOLX - I guess what some here think or don’t think won’t change the outcome but, as with most “project rucks” if even one turns out to be an AFL mid level ruckman that will be great, and if both better than that, then WOW!

• Thanks 1

FW & Verral are at the very embryonic phase of their careers.

And Verral just coming back from injury will need a full pre-season before hitting the ground at full tilt next season.

Might be better to ask about their development & prospects around this time next year me thinks.

• Thanks 1