POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

1 minute ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Does that explain Noble's brainfade of forgetting to bounce the ball?

He should have got pinged for the one out to the left a few minutes earlier. Also the free should be brought back to 15m out from the top of the box, rather than however far he managed to run before the whistle.

• Like 3

Just now, A F said:

Yeah, Collingwood supporters around us were visibly clapping. It was a bit like the LJ moment against Freo, except that Grundy was a salary dump and we wanted to keep LJ.

That's right. I joked in another thread that if 1% of Pies members are true decent footy fans that it still leaves 99% of 100,000 members that are total jerks.

The flip side is that 1% of that is still 1,000 decent fans, credit where it's due.

Next time we should assign people who sit in each part of the ground to report on the crowd loudness 😄

• Haha 1

So myself and Mrs Fence ventured out for a spot of Dinner and a few frothies at picturesque Husskison Beach club South NSW Coast of course wearing my club windcheater. A bloke wearing Filth regalia sidles up to me at the bar and says how lucky we were to win we had Jordy out, Ginnivan out yadda yadda yadda, when he finished I said just this...... yeah but we had 6 Ace PREMIERSHIP players out. End of conversation as he fumed and searched in vain for a response, I smirked.

Scoreline...? Fence game set match... Nuffy...zero  Nuffin.😇

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

When was the last time we played against Collingwood in a final?

As @Kozzie4PM mentioned, it was '88 & '89

AFLTables.com has every result with a lot of the player stats and is a brilliant site ... about the only thing missing are highlights of any any given game

One player stat that stands out is Bill Brittingham scoring 2.12 in the '48 drawn grand final against us (we won the replay)

To be fair he was an integral part of 3 premierships for the Bombers but that 2 goals 12 behinds would haunt anyone for life.  3.11 and they win

Edited by Macca
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Macca said:

As @Kozzie4PM mentioned, it was '88 & '89

AFLTables.com has every result with a lot of the player stats and is a brilliant site ... about the only thing missing are highlights of any any given game

One player stat that stands out is Bill Brittingham scoring 2.12 in the '48 drawn grand final against us (we won the replay)

To be fair he was an integral part of 3 premierships for the Bombers but that 2 goals 12 behinds would haunt anyone for life.  3.11 and they win

Essendon kicked 7.27 that day.

And we thought Monday was a tough watch in front of the sticks! 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, binman said:

One example of him being an average analyst of the game is he continues to bang on about our supposed scoring and connection issues. I mean, it is beyond ridiculous given the objective facts completely contradict such a position.

Great post.  I think you are perhaps bit harsh on King when our coach nearly in EVERY post game talk has banged on about lack of connection.

It has literally come from our coach on multitudes of occasions.

That is not King making it up or pulling it from a rabbits hat...Nor does he have the time to talk for 3-4 minutes straight on any given subject,.   How much depth can be given on any area that basically gives you less than a minute to explain.

I mean explain tanking to me in under a minute.

It takes a lot of quantifying to be solid in your facts..You surely know this!

Personally i don't believe any of the footy shows really have great analysis but King/Montagna are doing a better job at it than many others i am seeing.

I mean i have never seen anything from Robbo or Gerard in this regard.

I am sure you could do better analysis than some of the media clowns but i bet you would struggle also given 45 secs to show some vision and comprehensively explain...It aint gunna happen.

11 minutes ago, A F said:

My understanding is the broadcaster places microphones strategically, to ensure the loudest noises/cheers/boos etc. Makes sense, right? So that's a bit of a furphy as well. The true test is at the ground itself. It sounds like we heard it differently.

Again, obviously, this is influenced by where you sit to an extent as well, but I've never heard a big game with 80,000+ fans so quiet for large patches of the match. It was eerily quiet at points as if the crowd was holding its collective breath. Influenced in part by the low scoring of course.

It was quite an unusual game in that respect, but I can't recall the last time we dominated Collingwood in general play in Melbourne (we did in that Gabba game in 2020), so to me it was a combination of inevitably that we'd hit the front from the Collingwood supporters and potentially the fact Collingwood had spent a week laying the ground for excuses about COVID, flu and missing players.

Plus, the psychological benefits of already being three games clear at the top, all of these factors, IMV, influenced the noise level of their mob. I’ve never sat around so many Collingwood supporters who were so subdued for pretty much the entirety of a game. Last year they were absolutely insufferable. 

I agree with you to an extent.

Look, I guess I just wanna believe that we exceeded them noise- and passion-wise. Surely there’s no harm in letting us bask in this for a bit, even if it is partly wishful thinking. We need this feeling. It should bode well for our next match and hopefully beyond. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, monoccular said:

Also cited.  By the way, was this “incident” mentioned on TV broadcast?  Or did Christian go through the whole game in slomo determined to find something?  

They get people to watch the replays and pick up incidents against TEAMS they don't like and report back to them for lollies or other incentives....

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Look, I guess I just wanna believe that we exceeded them noise- and passion-wise. Surely there’s no harm in letting us bask in this for a bit, even if it is partly wishful thinking. We need this feeling. It should bode well for our next match and hopefully beyond. 

We punch way above our weight with regards to membership, crowd numbers etc etc

There are a few here who think that we should have Collingwood or Richmond type support after winning 1 flag in 6 decades

They are not being realistic as we're 10 years behind and would need to be in contention for 8 of the next 10 years to even go close to catching all the way up

We just don't have that many supporters compared to the big clubs

And we are not sleeping giants either.  Our supporter build will take some time (manic, huge support like the big clubs)

That's not to say we don't have good support, we do.  Just not in big numbers

I reckon the actual membership numbers cloud the thinking ... right across the board, for all the clubs, probably only about 25% - 35% of members attend games

Many are happy to just plough their money into the club as a way of feeling connected

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 2:51 PM, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Anyone pick up on Darcy Moore's arm grabbing technique mid air i think both against Fritta?

Pretty sure one was in the 2nd and the last one was in the 4th quarter.

Alan Richardson should getting on the blower to the umpires boss and making them aware of this infringement technique.

Clear free kicks 30 m out both of them, probably would have missed on the day though, but it's besides the point.

Can't believe those two weren't seen, clear grabbing on the hand in a pull down motion mid air.

Correct, but Moore is a protected player, like Hawkins of Geelong!

7 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Great post.  I think you are perhaps bit harsh on King when our coach nearly in EVERY post game talk has banged on about lack of connection.

It has literally come from our coach on multitudes of occasions.

That is not King making it up or pulling it from a rabbits hat...Nor does he have the time to talk for 3-4 minutes straight on any given subject,.   How much depth can be given on any area that basically gives you less than a minute to explain.

I mean explain tanking to me in under a minute.

It takes a lot of quantifying to be solid in your facts..You surely know this!

Personally i don't believe any of the footy shows really have great analysis but King/Montagna are doing a better job at it than many others i am seeing.

I mean i have never seen anything from Robbo or Gerard in this regard.

I am sure you could do better analysis than some of the media clowns but i bet you would struggle also given 45 secs to show some vision and comprehensively explain...It aint gunna happen.

Robbo is like Trump with what he has in front of him. Crossword for Robbo plus wet finger, and Trump has little winning Big Mac tickets.

• Thinking 1

13 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Either way the optics sure looked good to the public! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I totally get that this is what's going on, which is why I left it a couple of days before commenting on it haha.

Our supporters were great, but I was disappointed we didn't get 90k, and walking from Richmond (Bridge Road where I park), I didn't spot a single Melbourne supporter until I got to the entrance of the carpark at the MCG. They outnumbered us quite heavily, but that will happen when you play in so many GFs and finals series and the other club fails to make the finals and wins spoons all over the place. We just don't have that level of support anymore. Plus, Melbourne supporters like you arrived far earlier than I was prepared to arrive, so that would have impacted on the vibe turning up to the ground. (I support the cause by buying a beanie, but I just want the game to start, so turn up 20 mins before the bounce)

I'm hoping in time, if we keep winning flags  and keep contending, we start to convert kids of Hawthorn and Carlton parents, as well as new migrants. Without a second flag, I don't think we'll cracks that 70,000 membership threshold either. And the fact is, a lot of our supporter base is over 50, so us younger Melbourne supporters need to reproduce in large numbers. 😉

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

there's a reason jake lever ends every game hoarse

he is constantly instructing people where to run and when

I can see Lever as a prospestive Coach!

12 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

With 1:00 remaining in the 2nd quarter Jack Viney kicked a clear point, that was called out on the full and wasn’t reviewed. It was definitely a point, and Ryan in our cheer squad knew it because he went ballistic at the goal umpire.

It was a howler of an error.

And McCreery kicking the ball over the line. Even BT called it out

And Moore's mark on the line that was not reviewed.

And Max's mark on the goal line that was paid a point.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, binman said:

Me too. One reason why my throat is still stripped and sore - the other reasons were the 100 times i yelled other stuff!

Be fair to the umps - only one player wearing a helmet on the field, so that helmet getting hit a second late would be really hard to notice! Particularly when it 20 metres directly in front of you!!!!!!!!!!!

• Clap 1

2 hours ago, demosaw said:

Also the free should be brought back to 15m out from the top of the box, rather than however far he managed to run before the whistle.

I am not so sure about that. Once he runs out of the goal square, it is play on, and then he ran too far. So I am not sure that it should have been paid anywhere other than the spot where he should have bounced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A F said:

And the fact is, a lot of our supporter base is over 50, so us younger Melbourne supporters need to reproduce in large numbers. 

I’ve done my part… thrice. 😁

Alas, not a footy fan amongst them. I’m convinced I must’ve done something heinous in a previous life, mass-murder level heinous. One, or even two you could understand, but all three of them?! *hangs head in shame*

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

And the fact is, a lot of our supporter base is over 50, so us younger Melbourne supporters need to reproduce in large numbers. 😉

I am only willing to contribute to the pet membership numbers

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

I am not so sure about that. Once he runs out of the goal square, it is play on, and then he ran too far. So I am not sure that it should have been paid anywhere other than the spot where he should have bounced.

That’s exactly what I said. Supposed to bounce within 15 m from where you left the box. It shouldn’t be a shot from 40m.

Edited by demosaw
  • Like 1