Trade Rumours 2023

Nascent

33 minutes ago, binman said:

On the espn footy podcast the champion data guy was talking about cadmans numbers around early august and saying they were woeful accross the board.

Compared him unfavourably to jvr, noting he is a year behind (was in the context of praising dees for how we managed jvr).

The worst player ratings to predicted average of any top 3 draft picks or some such. 

I vaguely recall this podcast earlier in the year as well, Christian Jolly. Ive listened to this pod for a few years now and rank it up there with Hoynes segment too. Although Jake one of the other hosts has an irritating manner about him. Anyhow:

Although its still too early to tell, it's why I perhaps think this wouldn't just be a Melbourne pursuit, but might be GWS saying they'd prefer a goal-kicking/midfielder in this years top 5 over a key forward who might take a lot longer than they think and desire. GWS's rich vein of form might also be contributing to a fast-tracking of their expectations on immediate success in the next 2-3 years. Toby Green is 30, Coniglio 30, Kelly 29 next year. Maybe Kingsley doesn't like him. Maybe the go-home factor is far bigger than they've let on. Who knows. All I know is if we can simply swap pick 5 for Cadman, then both clubs could still be big win/winners. I'm not so sure about us throwing every pick at him, given the early concerns. There might be no sunk cost with GWS too in regards to not wanting to get back what they put in last year to get him. They're a pragmatic club.

Edit: IF RUMOUR IS TRUE

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, binman said:

On the espn footy podcast the champion data guy was talking about cadmans numbers around early august and saying they were woeful accross the board.

Compared him unfavourably to jvr, noting he is a year behind (was in the context of praising dees for how we managed jvr).

The worst player ratings to predicted average of any top 3 draft picks or some such. 

Well thats no good. I'm sure JT will run the rule over him before we'd consider any trade and i have total faith in his judgment. I'm confident we'll make the right call.

Perhaps he has been unsettled in Sydney from the get-go which has impacted his development? Change of environment might be what he needs?? 

• Like 5

The Cadman talk should just reiterate to people how good JVR is/has been for a second year player.

He’s not necessarily kicked bags of goals or taken marks but he’s up to the physical challenge of AFL already

Edited by BW511
  • Like 18
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, BDA said:

Pettys injury profile is not good. Relying on him to be our KPF is a risk.

I have always loved naughton, particularly the way he flys at the ball. And he is a natural forward who times his leads super well.

Personally I think that was a key issue for us late in the season. With no bb, melk out and jvr missing the blues game we didn't have natural forwards leading to the right spots forcing the ball carrier to make a good decision.

You make a fair point about Petty's injury history.

But assuming he does stay fit, a forward line with Petty, JVR (who after another preseason will go to another level), Fritter and McAdam - with bb, tmac and schache as back up - is not too shabby.

So I don't think using up so much capital on another forward is what we should be focused on.

I say this every year, but I'm clueless about the trade and drafting markets and all the related palaver. I get all my Intel from dl and am always amazed at the knowledge of posters in this space. 

So I've got no idea who is available or if these players are even remote possibilities. 

But if I were in charge of recruitment I'd be focusing on getting in:

- one or two quality high half forwards who are elite athletes and decent kicks (ie two more nibblers - who by the by was our best kick inside 50 this year in terms of kick to score ratio). Bedford would be ideal (yes I know he ain't going anywhere)

- a mid size half forward/utility/mid who is an elite athlete, above average to elite kick, wins their own ball and kicks goals (the player type I'm thinking of is McCarthy and Bailey from the lions. Sparrow is our equivalent. We need more sparrows)

- a distributor from half back (or wing or outside mid) with elite kicking and decision making skills who can reliably execute difficult, high risk kicks - even under intense pressure (salo and bowey have been these players for us, but for diff reasons neither were able to play that role to the required level this season. I'm thinking of players like locasious, Coleman and anderson)

- a second ruck (I've got no idea who)

Edited by binman
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

If the '$350k' contract is between Collingwood and Grundy, and Grundy wants to get out of MFC and/or into SSFC enough, isnt he at liberty to propose and enter into a renegotiation of that contract?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, binman said:

I have always loved naughton, particularly the way he flys at the ball. And he is a natural forward who times his leads super well.

Personally I think that was a key issue for us late in the season. With no bb, melk out and jvr missing the blues game we didn't have natural forwards leading to the right spots forcing the ball carrier to make a good decision.

You make a fair point about Petty's injury history.

But assuming he does stay fit, a forward line with Petty, JVR (who after another preseason will go to another level), Fritter and McAdam - with bb, tmac and schache as back up - is not too shabby.

So I don't think using up so much capital on another forward is what we should be focused on.

I say this every year, but I'm clueless about the trade and drafting markets and all the related palaver. I get all my Intel from dl and am always amazed at the knowledge of posters in this space. 

So I've got no idea who is available or if these players are even remote possibilities. 

But if I were in charge of recruitment I'd be focusing on getting in:

- one or two quality high half forwards who are elite athletes and decent kicks (ie two more nibblers - who by the by was our best kick inside 50 this year in terms of kick to score ratio). Bedford would be ideal (yes I know he ain't going anywhere)

- a mid size half forward/utility/mid who is an elite athlete, above average to elite kick, wins their own ball and kicks goals (the player type I'm thinking of is McCarthy and Bailey from the lions. Sparrow is our equivalent. We need more sparrows)

- a distributor from half back (or wing or outside mid) with elite kicking and decision making skills who can reliably execute difficult, high risk kicks - even undertake intense pressure (salo and bowey have been these players for us, but for diff reasons neither were able to play that role to the required level this season. I'm thinking of players like locasious, Coleman and anderson)

- a second ruck (I've got no idea who)

Two more Nibblers and more Sparrow's? My heart couldn't take it binman!!!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, binman said:

Well, i'll wager both will finish top 10 in the bluey.

A couple more top 10 players can't hurt!

sparrow needs to be a lot more of a workhorse thru midfield to feature in our top 10 i'd wager

nibbler i think is a chance, but i can't see sparrow getting a spot in our top 10 ahead of may, petracca, viney, lever, brayshaw, gawn, oliver, hunter, rivers, or pickett

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

sparrow needs to be a lot more of a workhorse thru midfield to feature in our top 10 i'd wager

nibbler i think is a chance, but i can't see sparrow getting a spot in our top 10 ahead of may, petracca, viney, lever, brayshaw, gawn, oliver, hunter, rivers, or pickett

Nibbler is a certainty for top 10 in the b&f.

Should we be looking at Lachie Keefe for short term ruck backup while we look for a long term solution?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I really am not bothered whether we get McAdam or not Maybe we should tell Adelaide exactly that

Will ring Adelaide directly and tell them Kent doesn't care if we get McAdam or not. 😁

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Agree with this wholeheartedly. 

Naughton is too good to say no too purely because of his set-shot kicking. 

It's just as much about the opportunities he'd create in the air. And in the air, there is nobody better. He marks it when he shouldn't, he creates carnage when he shouldn't and he is rarely if ever out-marked. 

Of all key forwards that we could pick, he'd suit us best. Another Ben Brown lead up target who relies on clean ball is not going to change us. Unless we drastically change our list. 

Naughton would be huge but are these just rumours or is there something here? 

Fritta would go to the next level, he would get the 3rd best defender and kick 60 a year for the next 3 years.

Goody would then have the option of pairing Naughts up with JVR or Petty.

Petty can revert back to his defensive post and have that option into the forward line up our sleeve it would be perfect.

Imagine the ball Kozzie and Mcadam would get a ground level when the ball is not being marked, we would be unstoppable.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

14 minutes ago, RedLegs23 said:

JJ off to Sydney via Tom Morris & SEN

My comparison early this season to joey kennedy having to go to Sydney to get minutes has proven prophetic!

(Nb: not saying jj is in Kennedy's class, just that the scenarios are similar ie mid who can't break into a star studded midfield)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, binman said:

My comparison early this season to joey kennedy having to go to Sydney to get minutes has proven prophetic!

(Nb: not saying jj is in Kennedy's class, just that the scenarios are similar ie mid who can't break into a star studded midfield)

The interesting thing is that Sydney’s midfield - whilst perhaps lacking the very top end talent - is deeper than ours.

Mills, Parker, Warner, Heeney, Gulden, Rowbottom, McInerney, Campbell all very good players. And Sheldrick ready to step up.

I wonder what role they’ve sold JJ on. Can’t imagine he’s moving just to play defensive half forward 

• Like 4
  • Thinking 2

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The interesting thing is that Sydney’s midfield - whilst perhaps lacking the very top end talent - is deeper than ours.

Mills, Parker, Warner, Heeney, Gulden, Rowbottom, McInerney, Campbell all very good players. And Sheldrick ready to step up.

I wonder what role they’ve sold JJ on. Can’t imagine he’s moving just to play defensive half forward 

mills back to half back when he comes back from injury plus heeney predominantly forward leaves their inside mids thin with just parker and warner as elite / near-elite level, while gulden might become the new butters

jj is going from 3rd cab off the rank to probably 2nd 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1