Welcome to Demonland Matthew Jefferson

Supreme_Demon

27 minutes ago, seventyfour said:

We all get nervous about young, first rounder key position forwards making their debut. It's because of Jack Watts. I get it.

His development shouldn't get set back 6 months if he is beaten. It should accelerate it. He'll have a better idea of what AFL footy looks like and what he needs to do in the offseason to get ready for AFL footy.

Petty had a bad debut against St Kilda. It's the worst debut i've ever seen. Reckon he learned from it? Absolutely, a few years later he was a crucial pillar of a premiership winning defence.

Jye Amiss was dropped after his debut game for Freo. He's going alright now.

Maybe we don't play him yet while finals are still a chance. But if a few more weeks and losses come to us, then we really should be giving him a go before the season ends. If he plays and gets beaten and it hurts him that badly that it hurts his development, then perhaps he shouldn't be playing AFL at all.

I’m not sure I follow your logic. On the one hand you say his development SHOULDN’T  get set back if he’s beaten , however you then offer the point that he’ll be better by next year if it DOES happen 😱

Edited by joeboy
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, picket fence said:

I'll come out of Hiatus for one and only one post on this.

DON'T DO IT GOODY, NOT THIS WEEK!!

I watched him very closely yesterday and he played an excellent game. He knows where to run, clunks marks and yesterday just could not miss with his laser like kicks for goal. I would be very tempted to play him week after Brisbane, vs West Coast but DONT be tempted this week Simon. Stick with Bailey hairstyle and The Heartbreaker, (even though both are playing terribly and should be dropped) if you must, but I'll tell you something else, This kid will be a better long term player than either of them, GOSPEL !!! Also memo, AMW Is good to go NOW, should have been played WEEKS ago, got some mongrel and skills, excellent mover. Finally  Fullarton. Mc Adams, and Billings why did we recruit them??? Laurie will also struggle to make it. Verall might. Kentfield is a long way of but with a solid preseason who knows, Shache?? sorry gives little. So cupboard is a little bare at present!

End of rant for another period of time!

Don't play Jeffo this week Goody that's all I gots to say!

I don't mind Jeffo spending a few more weeks at Casey. He's developing very nicely and I see no reason to put him into the seniors until he is absolutely cherry ripe. 

Such a lovely set shot and the soft hands and one grabs in marking contests are really promising. 

I agree that a tall forward who is lightly framed should spend all the time he needs at VFL learning leading patterns and body positioning. He's quite different from JvR, which is a good thing long term.

Jeffo could have 10+ years on the red and blue if he continues to improve. Wait till he's knocking hard on the door 

Here's his highlights from the weekend:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/1157488

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Jeffo's more than ready for at least one look this season surely.

As Diamond Jim suggested in the Casey thread, possibly the round after the Lions vs the Eagles?

Def not this week but the call up will do his confidence the world of good and incentive to keep pressing hard at VFL level & on the track.  Will also give him an idea of the step up required to become a regular.

As Dazzle has said, he'll need time to build his frame from here & we'd need to try & keep him away from the big defenders as much as possible but if he's playing a few quarters or so off the bench i reckon we could (potentially) manage him through at least one game.

Let him know the context of coming in and that expectations aren't for him to be a star on debut.  Just play your role, hit the contests hard, clunk em if you can or get the ball to ground, help your team mates and have fun.

• Like 6

Would be a nice experience for him to be a travelling emergency at some point prior to debut.

Curiously, our seniors play Brisbane on Friday and Casey play preston on Saturday. The following week Casey are playing Brisbane reserves on Saturday in Brisbane, with the senior team staying melbourne for a game on Sunday. This VFL scheduling is something else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

On 09/06/2024 at 02:24, John Demonic said:

Kolt wouldn't have played if Kozy wasn't suspended. Seemed like a positional, rather than Casey form selection. And Kozy returned, so he was dropped. I really don't think it had anything to do with not being ready. Goody as done the same to Tomlinson. Dropped him even after decent games. 

Well it certainly wasn’t a Casey form selection, since that farce of a competition didn’t start for at least another week.

9 hours ago, roy11 said:

Re: Fullarton i think we all need to remember what was said when we drafted him in

“We’re really hopeful Tom’s got a lot of development in him," Lamb told AFL Trade Radio. 

“As the year sort of rolled on we thought we might need some backup in that area of the ground.”

Hopeful development and back up! 

Talking as if Fullarton is a rookie, not a ?4th year AFL player.   So looking for development from a 4+ year player is pretty bloody optimistic, and hasn’t exactly been a great back up either with taller forwards going down right, left and centre 

8 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I’m thrilled with his development. If you watch the replay of his highlights from the weekend his timing coming back at the ball carrier is excellent.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that when not battling it out with Brown and Schache he looks more comfortable.

But maybe learning “the Melbourne way” of playing Jack in the pack in a crowded forward line is just what he needs to learn  😡🤯

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, picket fence said:

I'll come out of Hiatus for one and only one post on this.

DON'T DO IT GOODY, NOT THIS WEEK!!

I watched him very closely yesterday and he played an excellent game. He knows where to run, clunks marks and yesterday just could not miss with his laser like kicks for goal. I would be very tempted to play him week after Brisbane, vs West Coast but DONT be tempted this week Simon. Stick with Bailey hairstyle and The Heartbreaker, (even though both are playing terribly and should be dropped) if you must, but I'll tell you something else, This kid will be a better long term player than either of them, GOSPEL !!! Also memo, AMW Is good to go NOW, should have been played WEEKS ago, got some mongrel and skills, excellent mover. Finally  Fullarton. Mc Adams, and Billings why did we recruit them??? Laurie will also struggle to make it. Verall might. Kentfield is a long way of but with a solid preseason who knows, Shache?? sorry gives little. So cupboard is a little bare at present!

End of rant for another period of time!

Don't play Jeffo this week Goody that's all I gots to say!

Apologies for disturbing your hiatus but having never seen Jefferson a serious query.Would you play him against Eagles sunday week for first game?

And if so at whose expense wtc?

Thanks  in anticipation.

• Like 1

No way would you bring Jefferson in to play against Barrass and McGovern. And against a team who showed us up last time we played them

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mickey said:

No way would you bring Jefferson in to play against Barrass and McGovern. And against a team who showed us up last time we played them

Every team has threatening defendets. My thoughts were do it at the g and we have to start somewhere with him . If Casey form warrants a Gallup and some on here seem to think so

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

I'd probably be looking at either the Power game or the Dogs game as a good one for a debut personally.

Of course this assumes he keeps kicking goals in the VFL. He's now kicked 19.13 in 11 games this season and kicked 23.17 in 20 games last year, so as really increased his output.

• Like 2

I'm calling it He will debut this week! Now I know WCW Will of course get her head in a photo with him and provide incisive lowdown on his fav foods, drinks, music tastes and current partner, but what I saw in attrocious conditions today.... Time to play him! Goody.. over to you!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

24 minutes ago, picket fence said:

I'm calling it He will debut this week! Now I know WCW Will of course get her head in a photo with him and provide incisive lowdown on his fav foods, drinks, music tastes and current partner, but what I saw in attrocious conditions today.... Time to play him! Goody.. over to you!

I like your positivity PF. Refreshing 🤓

• Like 2

Goodwin will need to find the cojones to drop/rest Petty for Jeffo to be given his chance. 

• Like 2

AMW shows the value of a good grounding at Casey. Not many can come straight in.  Well into his 2nd Casey season Jeffo if he holds his form should get a run later this season even if it means 'managing' one of the forward talls.

Its good management to give developing players a taste before the next pre season.

• Like 6

R21 against the Dogs I reckon

Allows Jeffo to come in against a not so daunting backline & hopefully play 4 games to end the season in preparation for a big 2025

• Like 1

Jeffo reminds me a little of young Fraser Gehrig. Young Fraser had all the talent, maybe better wheels, a bit heavier at mid 80kgs, great mark and very good kick. Fraser worked very hard in the gym put on muscle/mass every year and finished up a great career a monster at almost 110kgs. In the wrestling/congested forward line we have these days he would be even more of a handful.

Jeffo needs time - we’ll see if he has the work ethic and physiology. If Jeffo debuts this year let’s go easy on him.

Edited by demosaw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Absolutely.  He's a mile ahead of Petty in the lead up, kicking & finishing stakes in a forward craft sense and sure, he may not last more than one match for now but we aren't in contention and Petty has proven to be a massive fail as a forward.

Petty will need a drastic adjustment to his set shot kicking action if he's to ever become a dangerous forward.  Atrocious.  And that won't happen overnight anyways.  Will need weeks of correcting on the track with the right guidance from a pro. 

No harm in giving Jeffo a look / see against one of the worst teams in the comp.

Let's see where hiss development's at and give him a chance to show his wares.  He gets to see the next level and the intensity / work rate required to perform there.  Goes back and works his bum off again.  Another pre-season in the gym and away we go in 2025.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, adonski said:

Allow Jeffo to come in against a not so daunting backline & hopefully play 4 games to end the season in preparation for a big 2025

You think West Coast backline is daunting? Think he would go well against them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

You think West Coast backline is daunting? Think he would go well against them.

Barrass and Gov one of the best duos in the comp

• Like 2

19 hours ago, demosaw said:

Jeffo reminds me a little of young Fraser Gehrig. Young Fraser had all the talent, maybe better wheels, a bit heavier at mid 80kgs, great mark and very good kick. Fraser worked very hard in the gym put on muscle/mass every year and finished up a great career a monster at almost 110kgs. In the wrestling/congested forward line we have these days he would be even more of a handful.

Jeffo needs time - we’ll see if he has the work ethic and physiology. If Jeffo debuts this year let’s go easy on him.

I can’t think of a key forward who’s played in the last 20 years who Jefferson reminds me less off than Fraser Gehrig! Perhaps Barry Hall.

Jeffo needs to develop physically but it will never be a core part of his game.

The player he’s most similar to is Josh Kennedy. Throw back kick-mark full forward who was low disposals but heavy goals.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I can’t think of a key forward who’s played in the last 20 years who Jefferson reminds me less off than Fraser Gehrig! Perhaps Barry Hall.

Jeffo needs to develop physically but it will never be a core part of his game.

The player he’s most similar to is Josh Kennedy. Throw back kick-mark full forward who was low disposals but heavy goals.

Agree those who want to wait for a mountain of a man before selecting him are off the track. 

Jeffo looks like a real footballer whose skills are with his feet, hands and brain and those three advantages will beat weight and physique any day. 

You can play footy if you have ability with limited strength like Kennedy but you can’t get the ball only with 100 kg frame if you haven’t got footy skills.

Big picture is with JVR and Petty or another tall Jeffo won’t always get the first defender. 

I am starting to believe he may even be better than we are hoping such has his development been in 2024 albeit only in the VFL. Time to stop comparing his linear development with JVR and await his time in the sun. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

21 hours ago, adonski said:

R21 against the Dogs I reckon

Allows Jeffo to come in against a not so daunting backline & hopefully play 4 games to end the season in preparation for a big 2025

Not sure you can count @adonski. Four home and away games plus four finals equals eight games. Having said that, Maynard and I went to the same school, so mercy and counting are not our strong suites.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1