Medical Sub OUT Tactical Sub IN

Ollie fan

3 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

Why oh why do they have to keep messing around with things? This new rule has no point whatsoever except to stop the cheating everyone but MFC did within the totally unnecessary medi-sub rule.

Have I missed something ? What the new rule?

Read the rule and I like it. It allows us to play McDonald and Melksham at the same time. Allowing Melksham defensive ability shine as well as McDonald's offensive abiltity to shine without changing the side too much. It will put players like Spargs and Nibbler under the pump so they don't become the sub.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

So some poor bugger like Bedford 2022 will sit on the bench for most of a game without getting a chance perhaps until the dying minutes, but will also miss out on his VFL opportunity to improve/ impress (unless of course Casey has yet another bye). 

• Like 3

• Demonland changed the title to Medical Sub OUT Tactical Sub IN
15 minutes ago, layzie said:

If we're going to have a sub then I'd prefer this version. Take the faking of injury and empty threats that club doctors will lose their license aspects out of it. 

Collingwood's Doctor would have been in all sorts then, they had injuries in the 3 qtr in most games they played in this season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Please explain!! ... the merits of having 22 players rotating and a sub vs 23 players rotating? What is the benefit to the game? Its not like you have a choice of subs (a la soccer) to "tactically" make a difference. The change actually makes the medi-sub look more logical. I give it 2 years.

Edited by DemonicFinalFantasy
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, DemonicFinalFantasy said:

Please explain!! ... the merits of having 22 players rotating and a sub vs 23 players rotating? What is the benefit to the game? Its not like you have a choice of subs (a la soccer) to "tactically" make a difference. The change actually makes the medi-sub look more logical. I give it 2 years.

I guess with 23 rotating, if there is an injury they are disadvantaged, but at at the end of the day injuries happen so teams will always benefit/suffer as a result and you cant really create a perfect system here. i'm sure they will tinker with it until the day i die aha

At least the Tactical sub won't be as manipulated as much as the medical one was. 

• Like 2

I wish the AFL had made the tougher decision to say that every player subbed out of the game cannot play for the next 12 days. That would have got rid of the problem of misuse they were trying to fix. Instead we're back to the red vest/green vest situation (whether they use the vests or not) that nobody seemed to like when it was in use. 

However, the AFL does have a chance to redeem itself somewhat if they include with this change an additional change of reducing rotations further, say to 60 per club from the current 75.

You'll know if the AFL has made the decision the fans want by the reaction of the coaches. If the coaches whinge, the AFL has probably made the right decision.

• Like 2

They had this exact rule 6 years ago AND IT DIDNT WORK SO THEY SCRAPPED IT!

FMD. We have 4 on the interchange, there is no need for a sub that sits on the bench for 3 quarters and then has to do a training session after the game finishes. The 2-3 same players end up being the sub each week impacting their development as they cannot play full games regularly as VFL or AFL level. 

AFL is a game of attrition, part of winning is who is the strongest/fittest for longer, why should the playing field be levelled when an injury occurs?  there are no allowances made if one team has 12 injuries prior to the game.  And if 2 players are injured on one team and 1 on the other it is not level anyway!

Cannot believe these clowns at the AFL

• Like 1
  • Clap 2

• 1 month later...

Everything you need to know about the new sub rule and more.

Interesting that clubs basically admitted they were breaching the old rule. So much for medical ethics.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/back-to-the-future-how-the-afl-s-new-substitute-rule-may-work-in-2023-20230125-p5cfbp.html

Wonder who will be our sub. Under the medical sub rules I favoured Joel Smith as he provided cover if a key tall went down. If the main driver is now going to be fresh legs I'm not sure. Chandler jumps out but one would assume if he performs well in that role he would get a full game rather quickly.

Assuming we are having a decent season I wouldn't mind seeing AMW and Woewodin exposed to AFL as the sub