Eddie Betts opens up on the weird camp

John Crow Batty

6 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

Meanwhile “Tex” from Broken Hill writes…

“The camp that we went on as a footy club, personally I found one of the most beneficial and rewarding camps I've ever been on as an individual.

"And I encourage any of my mates or family members to do the same thing” 

-

(that’s a real quote)

Tex………hmmm!

• Haha 1

Pretty sure it was Sam Jacobs who had a sibling that passed away during the 2017 season….

These bright sparks saw fit to test his adversity by giving him grief about their passing (probably whilst the Tigers song was on repeat) 

There’s [censored] and then there’s [censored]. And then there is this. 

Edited by Travis Boots
  • Angry 2
  • Vomit 3

10 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

This "team building culture forming" psycho babble  gets sold ( in various forms) to organisations all the time - even in these "enlightened" times.

I'm [censored] if I can understand how people still fall for it.

I guess the Dees go through the "psycho babble" too.

I reckon it's essential for a team at this level. Builds the right culture and mental resilience / positivity.

You could hear Petracca talk about it late last year. Something like "I made a mistake, forget about it, clear the head, reset and go again."

It's important to pick the right program.

This one seemed to be about tearing people down. Our culture seems to be about building each other up.

I loved Max's press conference after May got all lippy and punchy a while back.

He talked about getting rid of that culture of putting each other down. How adopting a better attitude of stamping that habit out reflected positively back into his relationships with family and friends too.

This boot camp stuff seems really whacky and toxic.

I've trained with ex Special forces people when I walked Kokoda years ago. They were super impressive people and I learnt a lot from them about preparation, leadership following through on your word etc.

However, tying to break someone down psychologically over a weekend and then having them dance nude in a drumming circle to build them back up sounds a bit Rugby League.

• Like 4

There's people here saying that if it had worked out then the camp would be lauded and I'm not 100% disputing that. Some of the methods like the power stance and blaring the Richmond song seem zany but could have just been eccentric like some of the things Malcolm Blight and Kevin Sheedy used to pull out of the trick bag. 

However I draw the line at these ludicrous concepts that blatantly disparage people's cultures and demean a footballer's self worth to the point where it has left them with ongoing issues. This camp sounds like it was one step away from being a full on cult. Credit to Wilson and McClure for sticking to their guns with this story, a good example of journalism revealing the truth and doing good in the world. This needed to be told sooner rather than kept inside for 20 years and I commend them for it. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

“The camp that we went on as a footy club, personally I found one of the most beneficial and rewarding camps I've ever been on as an individual.

-

(that’s a real quote)

So he wants his wife to get blinded folded on a bus, or tied up to a harness using fake weapons and abusing the [censored] out of each other?

Okay Tex....................

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

-

(that’s a real quote)

And that's why (on top of his suspension for racial vilification) he was never going to be a good fit for our club.

The downfall of the Crows is almost chronologically linked to that s***show. Anyone who couldn't see that it was toxic and counterproductive rubbish wouldn't fit into our club.

11 hours ago, layzie said:

The stuff coming out of this gets worse and worse. It's a disgrace that this was allowed to occur. The bottom fell out the year after and it seems these players, loyal servants of the club are scarred.

What a joke. 

Not only that you could argue it cost them the 2017 flag (and inflicted the Tigers dynasty on us).

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

14 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

The funny part of the whole debacle.

FE76CEF8-30F9-41C2-95C0-8AC1D0DFA3C8.jpeg

Jake Lever could likely see the writing on the wall and got out of Dodge as quickly as possible.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
Dodge is a proper noun. I don't want to get added to a grammar thread that is specifically named after me.

Just now, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Jake Lever could likely see the writing on the wall and got out of dodge as quickly as possible.

But of course according to Tex he was just after the money.

Premiership counts

Tex- 0

Lever - 1 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

There's people here saying that if it had worked out then the camp would be lauded and I'm not 100% disputing that. Some of the methods like the power stance and blaring the Richmond song seem zany but could have just been eccentric like some of the things Malcolm Blight and Kevin Sheedy used to pull out of the trick bag. 

However I draw the line at these ludicrous concepts that blatantly disparage people's cultures and demean a footballer's self worth to the point where it has left them with ongoing issues. This camp sounds like it was one step away from being a full on cult. Credit to Wilson and McClure for sticking to their guns with this story, a good example of journalism revealing the truth and doing good in the world. This needed to be told sooner rather than kept inside for 20 years and I commend them for it. 

When they undertake "counselling" sessions and then break the confidentiality by using someones most personal thoughts and feelings against them in front of their teammates as a form of abusing them to teach them "resilience" I'd say that crosses the line. Absolute wankers who think they know what they're doing but have no idea.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Absolute wankers who think they know what they're doing but have no idea.

Considering how these 'more alpha than alpha' types have embraced kookery like 'no fap', it's possible that statement is fallacious.

22 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

The funny part of the whole debacle.

FE76CEF8-30F9-41C2-95C0-8AC1D0DFA3C8.jpeg

Now that is a team Freed From Desire…

And people laughing and ridiculing Taylor Walker over this are right to do so; what a weak leader he was at the time. He was one of those that didn’t listen to Eddie. 

When someone reveals themselves over and over again as the POS they are - you’re entitled to believe them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The stuff alleged by Betts (namely raising issues of racial insensitivity and then being demoted from the leadership team) is similar to one of the allegations found against Collingwood in their Do Better report.

"After Eddie McGuire called Adam Goodes ‘King  Kong’, Lumumba spoke out about this and other  experiences of racism at Collingwood. He also  held an internal meeting addressing CFC  culture, workplace rights and human rights.  When some of the jokes continued, including  from team leadership, Lumumba confronted  coach Nathan Buckley. Media commentary was  swift, and often implied that Lumumba was  overly sensitive or mentally unstable. Lumumba  was moved from the leadership group of  Collingwood."

• Like 2
  • Thinking 2
  • Angry 2

4 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Now that is a team Freed From Desire…

And people laughing and ridiculing Taylor Walker over this are right to do so; what a weak leader he was at the time. He was one of those that didn’t listen to Eddie. 

When someone reveals themselves over and over again as the POS they are - you’re entitled to believe them.

You could say this was the proto freed from desire. Manly warriors and animals who were hungry like the wolf!

22 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Jake Lever could likely see the writing on the wall and got out of Dodge as quickly as possible.

14 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Considering how these 'more alpha than alpha' types have embraced kookery like 'no fap', it's possible that statement is fallacious.

Love that you have to qualify Dodge but not no fap. Maybe that says something about me ...

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Says in Eddie's book that the "mind" training began in the middle of 2017. Included things like training their game face as they run through the banner and the stupid stance. So yes I'd think it had a part to play in him leaving at the end of that season. That club is still recovering.

Imho Ricuttio has a lot to answer for. He might not have instigated it but he knew what went down and has used his platform as a director of footy at Adelaide FC, a mmm breakfast host and Fox footy commentator to play it down at every opportunity, as recently as this morning

Edited by Bates Mate
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Mark Riccuito doesn't get it does he..

Culture. I guarantee you if Eddie was still playing for Carlton and he lined up against the Crows at Adelaide Oval this week he would be booed mercilessly. Culture.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Mark Riccuito doesn't get it does he..

As board member and from some of his past comments it appears he has some responsibility to how this debacle eventuated. Perhaps he’s one that should ‘move on’ as well.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 3

This is some dumb, corporate nonsense. We reached peak corporate stupidity circa 2017-19. Every second job advertised said ‘join our cult’ and everyone was saying everything was ‘weaponised’. We used to have a spreadsheet at my old job that got updated weekly with ridiculous corporate speak we’d heard that week.

This was the last throws of that culture of bravado and puffery. Around this time Richmond starting telling jokes right before the first bounce because they realised that competitive people don’t need 2 hours of emotional abuse before a game - they can just be trusted to do their jobs, and are more likely to buy into the team ethos if they are happy.

Thank god that’s over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

I guess the Dees go through the "psycho babble" too.

I reckon it's essential for a team at this level. Builds the right culture and mental resilience / positivity.

You could hear Petracca talk about it late last year. Something like "I made a mistake, forget about it, clear the head, reset and go again."

It's important to pick the right program.

This one seemed to be about tearing people down. Our culture seems to be about building each other up.

I loved Max's press conference after May got all lippy and punchy a while back.

He talked about getting rid of that culture of putting each other down. How adopting a better attitude of stamping that habit out reflected positively back into his relationships with family and friends too.

This boot camp stuff seems really whacky and toxic.

I've trained with ex Special forces people when I walked Kokoda years ago. They were super impressive people and I learnt a lot from them about preparation, leadership following through on your word etc.

However, tying to break someone down psychologically over a weekend and then having them dance nude in a drumming circle to build them back up sounds a bit Rugby League.

It's is Rugby territory and that's why Andrew Fagan Crows CEO at the time got the sack.

• Like 1