• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

At a time when we as a club are clearly on the nose, Brodie's comments, especially his lack of ill-will, were almost life-saving.

They show that the club communicated the situation to him clearly throughout, even if they can't clearly communicate what's going on internally to their fans.

I still think we missed a golden opportunity this year by the late-in-season decision not to play him and to go smaller than any side in the history of the modern game up forward, but that's a knock that the match committee will have to take into next year.

But Brodie's comments also show that no matter what rumours and innuendo surround Goody, the facts are that the majority of players like him or at very least respect him to want to keep playing for him.

All our big name players have signed extensions under him and only our peripheral players have wanted to move on.

That's way different to Bevo.

Thank you Brodie for restoring the faith with your words.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

I think the mutual talks to leave were earlier than we think. 
My mail is that he was the only player on the entire list who didn’t attend a 200th game party for the skipper. A time that lines up with him getting dropped I think.

I also heard he bailed on a club event around the same time but that source is not so good…

Maybe a coincidence.

Personally I would’ve rolled the dice and selected him for the Carlton game. It was clear our forward line was dysfunctional but we needed targets who could at least bring the ball to ground effectively.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

At a time when we as a club are clearly on the nose, Brodie's comments, especially his lack of ill-will, were almost life-saving.

They show that the club communicated the situation to him clearly throughout, even if they can't clearly communicate what's going on internally to their fans.

I still think we missed a golden opportunity this year by the late-in-season decision not to play him and to go smaller than any side in the history of the modern game up forward, but that's a knock that the match committee will have to take into next year.

But Brodie's comments also show that no matter what rumours and innuendo surround Goody, the facts are that the majority of players like him or at very least respect him to want to keep playing for him.

All our big name players have signed extensions under him and only our peripheral players have wanted to move on.

That's way different to Bevo.

Thank you Brodie for restoring the faith with your words.

He does seem like a reasonable fella. He could’ve joined the party and got stuck in but declined.

Good post!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Brodie absolutely reeks of class and I’ll be seriously impressed if he’s consistent in his interviews next year as he’ll be asked 52 times next year on whether he bears any iLL will towards the club.

As for the semi final, hindsight’s a wonderful thing and his two most recent performances as forward-ruck were average to poor, but we genuinely ran out of options and you can’t help but think that a 4 mark/1 goal performance (over T Mac’s 1 mark) and the ability to give Max more of a rest may have gotten us over the line.

I’ve mentioned this before but the Gawn/Grundy actually worked in certain dry weather games through to Kings Bday. The wet weather games in Geelong and in round 22 v Carlton spooked the club I reckon.

No hindsight required. We played Carlton and Coll in rd 11 and 12  and won both against two ruck

The footy dept stuffed up

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Redleg said:

Clearly a FD decision.

38 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

The footy dept stuffed up

Think about it, why would they not select Grundy? Everyone knows he should’ve been selected before Schache, of course he should’ve been! Then why wasn’t he? Just remember this: it takes ALL parties to be onboard in order for something to happen, the player and his manager included. Maybe not all parties were willing. Just saying. 

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, Redleg said:

He wanted to play finals with us, yet we selected a bloke we wouldn’t even bring on for a few minutes.

Clearly a FD decision.

You could easily argue that cost us a PF.

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Think about it, why would they not select Grundy? Everyone knows he should’ve been selected before Schache, of course he should’ve been! Then why wasn’t he? Just remember this: it takes ALL parties to be onboard in order for something to happen, the player and his manager included. Maybe not all parties were willing. Just saying. 

So for most part of the year all the talk is Grundy cant play forward, it doesn't work, why is Melb trying to turn a ruckman into a forward?? why is melb playing Gawn forward and Grundy in the ruck. It takes away Gawns strength as the dominate big man in the game. etc etc

and then why didnt we play Grundy in a final.

Ask yourself, and Goody said it before the game. Schache play back if needed. Could Grundy?  Schache can play fwd if needed. Could Grundy? Schache play ruck if needed. Could Grundy? I'll take Schache in 2 out of 3. Schache covered all bases Grundy didnt.

The face he didnt come on to replace Tmac is a different argument.

• Like 2

Cannot knock the guy for his honest comments in regard to the feeling of playing in the VFL and being a dummy for May/Lever during training

After the Pre Season games i for one was all for the combo as both Grundy and Gawn kicked a few goals whilst sharing ruck duties

That Western Bulldogs game where English absolutely destroyed them was the catalyst for the change of game plan and virtually ending Grundy's days at the FC 

Is he a Top 5 Ruckman in the comp right now? No

Him leaving hurt our flag chances in 2024? No

All the best at Sydney 

• Like 3

Brodie seems like a decent fellow for holding back on what i suspect has a bit more substance to it given what the club is going through atm. So have plenty of respect for that. 

I still think in time, the truth on what happened - in particular around SF game - will make its way into the public domain. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, BangBnagBang said:

I'll take Schache in 2 out of 3. Schache covered all bases Grundy didnt.

You’d have to be in the minority who feels this way. The overwhelming majority think Grundy should’ve been selected before Schache. Anyways that’s not the point I was making. My point is maybe people shouldn’t be so quick to blame the selectors/FD/Goody for Grundy’s non-selection because that’s coming from the assumption that it was solely their choice. Who knows… maybe it wasn’t solely their choice. People make assumptions based only on what they see. Thing is, they don’t see everything. Nobody does. One needs to keep an open mind and consider different scenarios.

edit: I’ll bow out of this convo now. It’s getting tiresome having to repeat the same thing over and over again. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I tend to agree, I met him a couple of time, and he's just a lovely person.  I for one will miss him at Melbourne.  I hope he does well at Sydney

Just not against us!

Whilst some other clubs prefer to hoover up all matter of human detritus as a business model being a good person seems a be a prerequisite to join ours. As Goody said this week, culture sits above everything else. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, godees said:

We lost the game in many ways. One of them was goalkicking. One of them was Schache as sub over Grundy.

Schache or Grundy, the bottom line is, if Gawn nails his 2 gimme shots on goal we win. End of story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Whilst some other clubs prefer to hoover up all matter of human detritus as a business model being a good person seems a be a prerequisite to join ours. As Goody said this week, culture sits above everything else. 

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

You’d have to be in the minority who feels this way. The overwhelming majority think Grundy should’ve been selected before Schache. Anyways that’s not the point I was making. My point is maybe people shouldn’t be so quick to blame the selectors/FD/Goody for Grundy’s non-selection because that’s coming from the assumption that it was solely their choice. Who knows… maybe it wasn’t solely their choice. People make assumptions based only on what they see. Thing is, they don’t see everything. Nobody does. One needs to keep an open mind and consider different scenarios.

edit: I’ll bow out of this convo now. It’s getting tiresome having to repeat the same thing over and over again. 

I know you said youll bow out but are you saying Grundy refused to play?????

23 minutes ago, BangBnagBang said:

I know you said youll bow out but are you saying Grundy refused to play?????

Point being, if I can talk on WCW’s behalf, is no one knows what was occurring with Grundy and the club during this time.

Others have claimed his non selection was sole reason why the club did not beat the Pies and Blues, or at least, a really bad choice by Goodwin… 

• Thanks 1

The fact that Brodie Grundy (and Luke Dunstan, for that matter) have left the club with nothing but praise for the people and club says so much more about the culture of our club than any of the vague platitudes that Goodwin and Pert gave for 45 minutes last week. Brodie seems like a first class human being and I hope he dominates at Sydney next year (except when they're playing us)

• Like 6

21 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Have you finally got sick of not saying it?

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, old55 said:

Have you finally got sick of not saying it?

Totally!!! 😂

Reading between the lines can be hard; typing between the lines is way harder. It’s exhausting! 😁

• Haha 3