Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

I could be wrong, but I thought on trade radio today they said that the Pies will pay 300k, maybe even 400k of Grundy’s contract, and that we should only have to give a second. If both of those things were right, it would be a good trade imo

• Like 12

On 9/26/2022 at 11:15 PM, Matt said:

I could be wrong, but I thought on trade radio today they said that the Pies will pay 300k, maybe even 400k of Grundy’s contract, and that we should only have to give a second. If both of those things were right, it would be a good trade imo

I think it depends on the commentator.  @KLVreported that Sanderson said a good 1st round pick and maybe more.

They are just like the usual ex football jocks; just guessing and making up stuff to fill in air time.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, mo64 said:

No offence, but "grain of salt" is all I can take from that.

Your mate is thinking of the Grundy under Buckley, where their midfield (including Grundy) racked up huge possessions because they were indirect. Grundy's numbers dropped this year under McCrae before he got injured. His average marks was 2.5, the lowest since his 2nd season. He kicked 2 goals in 6 games. As a comparison, Darcy Cameron averaged 3.8 marks, and kicked 20 goals in 24 games.  Grundy obviously averaged more hitouts because he was the primary ruck, but Cameron shared the ruck duties with Cox, and they lost nothing in hitout numbers without Grundy. 

Give me a Darcy Cameron type as 2nd ruck to Max than Grundy every time.

And note, the Pies have beaten us the past 3 times without Grundy.

None taken and just passing on what a serious Pies fan thinks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matt said:

4 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I think it depends on the commentator.  @KLVreported that Sanderson a good 1st round pick and maybe more.

They are just like the usual ex football jocks; just guessing and making up stuff to fill in air time.

Yes it depends on who you listen to on trade radio. Cal Twomey just said a pick in the mid twenties with a few other pick swaps to make it about the same pick value as a late first rounder. He also said he expects it to get done early. 
I respect Cal more than any of the rest of them on trade radio and think this is how it’s going to happen. 
Cal clearly has some up to date info as I heard him saying a few weeks ago that it was going to take a first rounder from us. 

Edited by Colm
  • Like 9

37 minutes ago, Colm said:

Yes it depends on who you listen to on trade radio. Cal Twomey just said a pick in the mid twenties with a few other pick swaps to make it about the same pick value as a late first rounder. He also said he expects it to get done early. 
I respect Cal more than any of the rest of them on trade radio and think this is how it’s going to happen. 
Cal clearly has some up to date info as I heard him saying a few weeks ago that it was going to take a first rounder from us. 

Thanks.  This is the most realistic scenario i've seen.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, Redleg said:

Well let's analyse that.

We had 12 players playing injured in the finals.

Our Captain was nearly crippled with groin, back and knee issues and probably shouldn't have played.

We had both opponents under control in the first half.

Our kicking for goal was as bad as it could be, missing some absolute sitters, while our opponents kicked goals out of their behinds, yet if we had kicked straight in only one of the games, we would have played in a PF.

We gave away about 6-7 undisciplined 50 metre penalties, that cost us goals and probably were unlucky with frees both for and against, that cost goals.

We clearly couldn't run out either game and with half the side playing injured that is not a shock. No surprise that both clubs today have just about their best side playing.

We lost the games by 22 points to a GF team and 13 points to the Lions, both teams posting about their highest pressure for a half in their history.

While I am not a great fan of our game plan, we are clearly not far off the best and with last year's injury run, or even a better run than we had late in this season, we would probably be playing for back to back today.

IMO we are a very good team, that needs a good run with injury, like every other team and maybe with a couple of new players in and a bit of tinkering with the game plan and we are back. 

The game plan does require some tinkering, but a little more than '...a bit of...', as we blood newbies and young 'uns into the fold that will give us more: speed and endurance, and game day alternatives with less reliance on what was once known as the 'best 22'.

Clearly, we need to stop exhausting our troopers, as this increases physical risks and injuries amongst those who are prone - already proven throughout season 22. We must aim to develop - preferably within - a 'best 26-30', with gaps filled by youth or several recruits who have capacities that we will require to negate and out-play opponents that have currently taken our top rung on the cocky-perch.

We are capable of being where we want to be in season '23 instead of being a team of excellent players bearing and demonstrating the costs and dependencies associated with lowering numbers of selectable players due to the limitations of our now well interpreted modus operandi. It is really up to the coaches, Club leadership and innovation to get us to that finish line - all within and across the next twelve months.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Matt said:

Would take that deal all day.

• Like 3

What i've heard about the way we intent to implement Gawn/Grundy makes the prospect mouth watering, it's no surprise at all to me we're as keen as we are. it's got the potential to give us a significant advantage and prolong Gawns career 

in terms of the trade, i reckon pick 32, and a swap of our future second for their future third as an upgrade is fair and gets the job done. 

you can't be giving up a first rounder for a guy they're paying 1.5 million at least to get out the door, it's a cap dump.

• Like 17

On 9/26/2022 at 8:01 PM, mo64 said:

No offence, but "grain of salt" is all I can take from that.

Your mate is thinking of the Grundy under Buckley, where their midfield (including Grundy) racked up huge possessions because they were indirect. Grundy's numbers dropped this year under McCrae before he got injured. His average marks was 2.5, the lowest since his 2nd season. He kicked 2 goals in 6 games. As a comparison, Darcy Cameron averaged 3.8 marks, and kicked 20 goals in 24 games.  Grundy obviously averaged more hitouts because he was the primary ruck, but Cameron shared the ruck duties with Cox, and they lost nothing in hitout numbers without Grundy. 

Give me a Darcy Cameron type as 2nd ruck to Max than Grundy every time.

And note, the Pies have beaten us the past 3 times without Grundy.

The biggest part of all of this, that doesn’t get mentioned enough is Darcy Cameron is potentially the most under-rated ruck man in the comp. He is a ripper, and it is not hard to see why McRae wants to back him in as number 1 ruck next year (and use Grundy’s cash to fill other gaps) 

• Like 3

On 9/27/2022 at 8:46 AM, buck_nekkid said:

Has his medical been sorted?  Are we buying Fine Cotton or Phar Lap?

When do the medicals actually happen? Is there a time period that they are allowed to do them and then submit to the 'trade market' database or is it just whenever?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Colm said:

It makes sense. Collingwood would want to get it out of the way early as they have so many players nominating them that they need to understand their salary cap position and what picks they have to leverage.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2022 at 8:46 AM, buck_nekkid said:

Has his medical been sorted?  Are we buying Fine Cotton or Phar Lap?

Could we have a clause, like DeGoey’s. In terms of unexpected medical breakdowns?

and the ferals paying out any remaining contract years.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, layzie said:

When do the medicals actually happen? Is there a time period that they are allowed to do them and then submit to the 'trade market' database or is it just whenever?

Layzie going on past scenarios I would be gobsmacked if we haven’t already reviewed his medical status prior to meeting with him, particularly if we are in serious discussions with Pies which would appear to be the case. As the old saying goes we aren’t going to spend $3.5m over 5 years on a “pig in a poke”. So to speak.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Freo do the deal for Port's pick 8 then...

Freo get - Jackson

Collingwood get - Freo future first

Dees get - Pick 8, Grundy

Reckon that's a realistic scenario.

Originally, when I read about Port, I also thought this would be the trade. Especially as it could be done early. But I’ve changed my mind. I now think we will get Grundy for a pick in the 20’s (not sure how), and some pick swaps. That would leave us with two 1st rounders for Dogga. Fingers crossed 🤞

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Originally, I also thought this would be the trade. Especially as it could be done early. But I’ve changed my mind. I now think we will get Grundy for a pick in the 20’s, and some pick swaps. That would leave us with two 1st rounders for Grundy. Fingers crossed 🤞

Hope so! Just know, at least under Mahoney, we were always just kinda 'no fuss' it seemed.

Could be lots to play out before the Jackson deal which will change/add picks, especially for Freo.

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Freo do the deal for Port's pick 8 then...

Freo get - Jackson

Collingwood get - Freo future first

Dees get - Pick 8, Grundy

Reckon that's a realistic scenario.

If we get Freo's future first I'd rather keep that as I think they may drop slightly next year.

Risk v reward but it could end up netting us two top 10 picks if that happens.

• Like 2
  • Vomit 1