• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2023 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

On 6/29/2023 at 6:03 AM, dazzledavey36 said:

I did.

He was good that game but not great imo.

His form playing for the Academy this year has been really poor and even when he's gone back to SANFL level he hasn't been as productive as that recruiters were expecting especially with the huge wraps he had. His previous SA game prior to the Vic Country game was pretty poor as well.

He just seems way too much of a Chad Wingard for me who's very inconsistent and goes missing for too long of periods of the quarter.

There are players that in the draft that are speeding way past him in the pecking order. If he doesn't improve his form I wouldn't be surprised if he drops out of the top 20 order.

Just on De Mattia, I tok am a big fan. Tough midfielder who's also got a bit of class about. Thought he was exceptional against SA.

I also liked Billy Wilson off half back. Reminded me a bit of Hayden Young.

Good call DD36. De Mattia is one to watch now he’s concentrating on his footy (very good young cricketer as well). Good pace for inside mid. Liked his burst with the footy.  Footskills need work.
In the vic metro v SA match,  I liked Harvey Johnston’s game, as a smooth mover across half forward with evasive skills and smart play, and liked Archie Roberts as a very skilled left footer with his accuracy to hit targets.  Not top 30 but either definitely could be handy pickup in a 3rd round. 
I am still on board with our 1st round picks to look at Mids like Zane Duursma (the priority) , Tassie’s Sanders and Mckercher, Darcy Wilson and Cooper Simpson. 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
I
  • Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 8:25 AM, Demon Disciple said:

Gonna have to trade up to get him I feel

Agree but is there any risk if we bet a higher pick that some other club makes a bid for Nathan Browns son, who we may want as a father son?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

Agree but is there any risk if we bet a higher pick that some other club makes a bid for Nathan Browns son, who we may want as a father son?

I’ve always felt when it comes to the draft, bring in best available. We’re in the business of premierships, not nostalgia (as nice as it would be)

• Like 2

On 6/28/2023 at 4:47 PM, Older demon said:

West Coast has picks 1, 19, 36 & 38 based on current ladder positions and unfortunately, many of the top players in the current state titles are high-end and will go early. Pick 1 is worth 3000 points

Based on the current ladder position the only clubs with currency swap pick 1 for early picks are
1. North picks 2 & 17 worth 3542 points
2. GWS picks 5, 7 & 43 with picks 5 & 7 worth 2522 not enough to match pick 1. Throw in pick 43 @ 378 and you still don't get to 3000
3. Melbourne with current picks 8, 15, 27 & 34. 8 & 15 equates to 2663, throwing in pick 15 equates to 3366 points alternatively picks 8, 15 & 34 equates to 3205 so we would want something back

Off course clubs could offer future draft picks but the Eagles need players here and now. GWS could offer their 2 1st rounders this year and a 1st round pick next year for pick 1. 

Personally, on points alone I would offer picks 8 & 15 for Norths 2nd or Hawthorns 3rd and something back and go to the draft with 2/3, 27 & 34

Totally agree, Carlton's pick 4 would also be a consideration with something back, we should get some compensation from JJ's free agency to allow enough points to pick up young Brown, either way, Watson, Caddy or Duursma would be around that mark. AFL Draft Order 2023 - Zero Hanger

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

Totally agree, Carlton's pick 4 would also be a consideration with something back, we should get some compensation from JJ's free agency to allow enough points to pick up young Brown, either way, Watson, Caddy or Duursma would be around that mark. AFL Draft Order 2023 - Zero Hanger

i thought jj was unrestricted, so no compo?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, whatwhat say what said:

You are correct. Because he was previously delisted (and re-rookied), he now qualifies as an unrestricted free agent come end of the year. Unless we match an offer and force a trade, then we get no compensation for losing him.

Gut feel is he will leave for more opportunity at a middle of the road club like the Saints or Bombers and we’ll get nothing for him.

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

My understanding is we still still get compensation, just lose the ability to match the offer.

That's assuming we don't recruit any free agents ourselves which will dilute or nullify the compensation depending on contract specifics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

ESPN July rankings 
1. Harley Reid (previous: 1) 
2. Jed Walter (4)  (Suns Academy)
3. Nate Caddy (2) 
4. Daniel Curtin (8) (Western Australian kid)
5. Colby McKercher (6) (Tassie Kid)
6. Zane Duursma (3)
7. Nick Watson (5)
8. Ethan Read (14) (Suns Academy)
9. Ryley Sanders (10)
10. Jake Rogers (12) (Suns Academy)
11. Mitchell Edwards (7) (Western Australian kid)
12. Connor O'Sullivan (13)
13. Darcy Wilson (11)
14. Will McCabe (19) (Hawks F/S)
15. Caiden Cleary (new entry) (Swans Academy)
16. George Stevens (new entry)
17. Koltyn Tholstrup (17) (Western Australian Kid)
18. Nathan Philactides (15)
19. Jordan Croft (new entry) (Dogs F/S)
20. Archer Reid (16)

AFL Draft July 2023 Power Rankings: Allies dominate Top 20 as key forward closes in on Harley Reid

• Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, roy11 said:

ESPN July rankings 
3. Nate Caddy (2) 
6. Zane Duursma (3)
7. Nick Watson (5)
9. Ryley Sanders (10)
13. Darcy Wilson (11)
20. Archer Reid (16)

Full Article (https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/37956903/afl-draft-power-rankings-july-2023-jasper-chellappah-allies-dominate-top-20-jed-walter-closes-harley-reid)

The Suns are going to find it very hard to get enough points to cover their projected academy kids this year. If as above they go at 2, 8 & 10 then that's 4,370 points they have to come up with, but they've currently only got picks 7, 28, 31, 45, 56, 63, 68 & 70 -  a total of 3,678. Nearly 700 points short. Good thing we've got the 2 firsts and 2 seconds, I reckon we can try and get pick 7 plus more (either a player/picks) for some of our picks. Say picks 15, 27 & 34 for pick 7, Sam Flanders and their picks in the 60's (for Kynan Brown matching). 

• Like 6

At the start of the year I would’ve thought Nick Watson would’ve been out of the question for us, but considering the form of our small forwards this year maybe we have a crack at him if he falls into the pick 7 range like this ranking suggests? Neal Bullen, chandler, spargo all out of form, could be a good partnership with Kozzy down there. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roy11 said:

ESPN July rankings 
3. Nate Caddy (2) 
6. Zane Duursma (3)
7. Nick Watson (5)
9. Ryley Sanders (10)
13. Darcy Wilson (11)
20. Archer Reid (16)

Full Article (https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/37956903/afl-draft-power-rankings-july-2023-jasper-chellappah-allies-dominate-top-20-jed-walter-closes-harley-reid)

Beg, borrow, steal. Do whatever we need to do to get a high enough pick to get Ryley Sanders. Best young mid in this years draft imv. Recent comparisons to JHF but I think he’s quicker and better !!! 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
P
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Beg, borrow, steal. Do whatever we need to do to get a high enough pick to get Ryley Sanders. Best young mid in this years draft imv. Recent comparisons to JHF but I think he’s quicker and better !!! 

Is it because he wears his socks up?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lewis said:

At the start of the year I would’ve thought Nick Watson would’ve been out of the question for us, but considering the form of our small forwards this year maybe we have a crack at him if he falls into the pick 7 range like this ranking suggests? Neal Bullen, chandler, spargo all out of form, could be a good partnership with Kozzy down there. 

Can also play midfield and off half back. Would also back him to take mark of the year before Kozzie as well. He is exactly what we need, a player with X factor speed, polish and lethal around goal. Hopefully we see beyond his height or lack thereof and draft him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bigfooty’s Davo27 has just issued his July Top 40

1. Jed Walter - GCS A
2. Harley Reid - Bendigo
3. Colby McKercher - Tasmania
.................................. Elite
4. Nick Watson - Eastern
5. Daniel Curtin - Claremont
6. Ryley Sanders - Sand/Tas
7. Nate Caddy - Northern
8. Connor O'Sullivan - Murray
9. Ethan Read - GCS A
10. Mitch Edwards - Peel
11. Jack Delean - Sth Adel
12. Jake Rogers - GCS A
13. Zane Duursma - Gippsland
14. Koltyn Tholstrup - Subiaco
15. Ollie Murphy - Sand
....................................... Top Tier
16. Darcy Wilson - Murray
17. Harry Demattia - Dandenong
18. Logan Morris - Western
19. Harvey Johnston - Sand
20. Will Patton - W Adel
21. Archer Reid - Gippsland
22. Caleb Windsor - Eastern
23. Clay Hall - Peel
24. Will Brown - Sand
25. Will McCabe - Central Dist
26. Bodie Ryan - Glenlg
27. Jordan Croft - Calder
28. Koen Sanchez - East Frem
29. Luca Slade - Sturt
30. Ashton Moir - Glenlg
31. Will Lorenz - Oakleigh
32. James Leake - Tasmania
33. Jack Callinan - Tasmania
34. Harvey Thomas - GWS A
35. Archie Roberts - Sand
36. Aiden O'Driscoll - Perth
37. Riley Hardeman - Swan Dist
38. Logan Evans - Norwood
39. Angus Hastie - Geelong
40. Phoenix Gothard - Murray

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Genuinely torn.

Nick Watson, Colby McKercher and Ryley Sanders are 3 I'm finding incredibly hard to separate for our first pick.

All 3 would fit a genuine need for us.

Absolutely, I would love us to roll the dice on one of the Tasmanian’s (leaning towards McKercher) and Watson. We need to balance our list with some outside players with speed, elite disposal and genuine forward craft.Would rather use all our picks to fill some needs than go all chips in on Reid.

Edited by Dee Viney Intervention
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

Absolutely, I would love us to roll the dice on one of the Tasmanian’s (leaning towards McKercher) and Watson. We need to balance our list with some outside players with speed, elite disposal and genuine forward craft.Would rather use all our picks to fill some needs than go all chips in on Reid.

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards McKercher.

Just watched his highlights and he's everything we're missing in our midfield mix.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards McKercher.

Just watched his highlights and he's everything we're missing in our midfield mix.

Highlights from his last championship game  were amazing. Can hit the scoreboard as well. Do not think our club will be too fazed with the Tassie factor, always back ourselves in. 

• Like 1