CHANGES : Rd 08 vs St. Kilda

Demonland

16 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

No he's not.

He pulled out of today's VFL game against Box Hill.

Ah damn. Wasn’t updated on the injury list at time of posting. 

I disagree with people potting Tom McDonald for taking that mark.

If you watch the replay he never took his eyes off the ball, so wouldn't have known exactly where he was.

If he let it go and it wasn't long enough there is every chance it bounces short of the line and goes left or right and hits the post.

He then went and apologised to Harmesy and explained it straight after.

• Like 25

6 hours ago, DubDee said:

I thought Smith defended well. What was your issues with his game?

Moot point given he will likely miss through injury but interested in your thoughts

Problem with smith is more he isn’t Petty, May got burned a few times by leaving smith as last man down back which cost us a few goals, I  doubt we would have the same issue with Petty in that situation 

• Like 5

On 4/30/2022 at 7:13 PM, Mr Steve said:

The great unknown. Hopefully all 5 are ok and it was a mild case.

Bedford will be unlucky to lose his spot but Kossie is more important. Milkshake Dunstan and Chandler will drop back down Smith looks injured and I guess one of Tmac or Weid. Of course we might have more cases during the week.

The likelihood of covid cases during the week is a major embuggerance to the team, most unsettling, quite unavoidable. It will really test our depth.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2022 at 6:45 AM, Lucifers Hero said:

I guess that is a matter of perception.  Sometimes when Goodwin talks about players his view varies from some DL'er views, sometimes they vary a little, sometimes a lot.

Re TMc, for the best part of 18 months our players, coaches, CEO and President have talked about selflessness as a key reason behind our 2021 success.  Oliver epitomised that when he took upon himself a goal 'to be a better teammate' at the start of 2021. 

To me it seems that selflessness is a non-negotiable so no matter how good you are, if selfish you don't play.  It is like other non-negotiables like two-way running, 1%, defensive work etc etc.

The club has set standards on these non-negotiables and to my eye it looks like TMc has some work to do on the selflessness side.  Whether it costs him a spot in the team we shall wait and see.

That's a little harsh IMO. Playing in a KP forward role you have to back yourself to kick goals - sure there were a few moments where there were better options but forwards are paid to kick goals so I don't begrudge him for trying. The Harmes/Mark incident was clumsy and lacked awareness (or a call from the other lad in the square to confirm there was no Hawks player in the area)  but if in doubt you take the mark and ice the goal imo. 

In terms of changes this week, Ive had covid recently and am impressed by guys like Viney coming back and performing strongly in a short turn around. Some of the guys may miss again imo. Our depth is strong and whilst all the guys that missed out are great players there is a balance to be had between picking the match fit guys Vs the better players that might be slightly underdone. 

In: Petty, Jackson, Sparrow 

Out: Smith, Weideman, Dunstan 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbie57 said:

A shame for Harmes who deserved it but the commentary has been over the top. 

Totally agree.

Particularly given the fact that he didn't cost us a goal.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

The likelihood of covid cases during the week is a major embuggerance to the team, most unsettling, quite unavoidable. It will really test our depth.

Embuggerance - a great descriptor.

• Love 1

Last week kozzie completely burnt fritter AND by doing so almost certainly cost us an easy walk in goal.

Not a hanging offence, but zero doubt that was a selfish act.

Didn't cop much grief or accusations of being selfishon here as far as I can recall. 

Tmac marks on the line (didn't cost us a goal) and made a decision to shoot for goal instead of an almost equally difficult pass to teamate (who knows if that cost us a goal) and gets accused of selfishness. 

Pretty harsh if you ask me.- particularly for a fella with plenty of credit in the selflessness bank.

Edited by binman
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Embuggerance - a great descriptor.

We’ve been embuggered?

starting to sound a little sinister now!

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

A tiny sniffle embuggerances the winningest team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Garbo said:

Problem with smith is more he isn’t Petty, May got burned a few times by leaving smith as last man down back which cost us a few goals, I  doubt we would have the same issue with Petty in that situation 

Smith gives away goals each week.  drop him for good.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

30 minutes ago, David-Demon said:

Smith gives away goals each week.  drop him for good.

Smith has improved, but agree that he seems to give away a couple each week. Still FD picked him ahead of Tomlinson this week, so he must do something right in their view.

Personally I go:

Talls 

- 1 May

- 2 Lever

- 3 Petty (improving very fast, will be long term  #1 defensive pillar)

- 4 Tomlinson (still recovering from acl)

- 5 Smith

Smalls

- 1 Salem (Gus covering short term will move back to wing)

- 2 Bowey (looks like a 200 gamer)

- 3 Hunt ( has the speed and can lockdown on the likes of Cameron)

- 4 Rivers (. Hasn’t looked 100%)

- 5 Hibberd (will continue to be a good backup)

- 6 Smith (quick can play on speedier players)

As stated by many Smith is an athlete and improving player, but not a natural footballer and occasionally gets lost, leading to 1-2 goals a week that wouldn’t happen with the other defenders named.

Still you look at quality we have to select from and that’s why we have best backline bar none. Freo may have let through a few less points, but our backline has missed top players throughout the season and not missed a beat!

3 minutes ago, D4Life said:

Smith has improved, but agree that he seems to give away a couple each week. Still FD picked him ahead of Tomlinson this week, so he must do something right in their view.

Personally I go:

Talls 

- 1 May

- 2 Lever

- 3 Petty (improving very fast, will be long term  #1 defensive pillar)

- 4 Tomlinson (still recovering from acl)

- 5 Smith

Smalls

- 1 Salem (Gus covering short term will move back to wing)

- 2 Bowey (looks like a 200 gamer)

- 3 Hunt ( has the speed and can lockdown on the likes of Cameron)

- 4 Rivers (. Hasn’t looked 100%)

- 5 Hibberd (will continue to be a good backup)

- 6 Smith (quick can play on speedier players)

As stated by many Smith is an athlete and improving player, but not a natural footballer and occasionally gets lost, leading to 1-2 goals a week that wouldn’t happen with the other defenders named.

Still you look at quality we have to select from and that’s why we have best backline bar none. Freo may have let through a few less points, but our backline has missed top players throughout the season and not missed a beat!

Brayshaw?

Back on topic - changes vs Saints:

- fingers crossed we’re Covid good

Petty - Smith

Jackson - Weid or TMac

ANB - Melksham

Pickett - Bedford

Sparrow - Dunstan (stiff)

But who knows how everyone pulls up post Covid and if we lose any others!

5 hours ago, binman said:

Last week kozzie completely burnt fritter AND by doing so almost certainly cost us an easy walk in goal.

Not a hanging offence, but zero doubt that was a selfish act.

Didn't cop much grief or accusations of being selfishon here as far as I can recall. 

Tmac marks on the line (didn't cost us a goal) and made a decision to shoot for goal instead of an almost equally difficult pass to teamate (who knows if that cost us a goal) and gets accused of selfishness. 

Pretty harsh if you ask me.- particularly for a fella with plenty of credit in the selflessness bank.

There were a lot of hungry shots on goal last week, just about the most disappointing aspect of the game.

Hope it makes good footage for the reviews during the week and come round 12 the boys have got it right

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Garbo said:

Guesstimates rule 

51 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

I never hear anything about Salem. Does anyone know how he's tracking?

Last week he finally graduated from the famous 4-6 academy to 3 - 4 weeks.

Edited by layzie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1