Low Attendance

rpfc

Attendance excuses/reasons?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, MT64 said:

Not withstanding having just got out of hospital and certainly unable to attend but using ticketek to get "prime" seats in nose bleed territory level four is just not on. I always seat level one,  M46 or level two but absolutely refuse level four. With my health lately (not Covid related) just better I stay at home. Will try for the Sydney game.

Not trying to single out anyone for sure.

I guess I am not finding it too hard with my mobile membership, I haven't had to deal with any third party websites at all.

Aside form the fact that I can't attend the replacement game on Queen's Bday day.

• Like 1

I know this may sound like a bit of a first world problem, but every time I have to enter the Premium rooms (Hasset and Ryder) I have to show my premium ticket, so 1/4 time, half time, 3/4 time ,post game, pre game, if I need to go to the Loo, I have to get my phone out, find the right app and show the dude on the door my pass. this never used to be a problem, but little things like this detract from the whole "game day" experience. Not sure if equates to less crowds, but it's flaming annoying

Crowd was okay. Would have been nice to tick over 30k though. 

Honestly though the whole Mt Buller joke is actually legit. Our crowds tend to pick up towards the end of the season. We somehow got 38k vs GWS in 2018 in August. Absolutely zero chance we get that in May or June. It's always been like this. I hope we can get 40k+ vs Sydney this Saturday which is definitely doable. No Buddy definitely hurts but should still be a bumper crowd.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, praha said:

Honestly though the whole Mt Buller joke is actually legit. Our crowds tend to pick up towards the end of the season. We somehow got 38k vs GWS in 2018 in August. Absolutely zero chance we get that in May or June. It's always been like this. I hope we can get 40k+ vs Sydney this Saturday which is definitely doable. No Buddy definitely hurts but should still be a bumper crowd.

They gave two free GA tickets to every member for that Giants game and it was guaranteed that we would be making finals for the first time in 12 years.

I reckon it'll be just under 40K on Saturday. Sat Night isn't a good drawing timeslot.

Queens Birthday will be interesting, it is a replacement home game for us and if the Pies bet Hawthorn it may crack 80

I'm not convinced that the 4.35pm timeslot is any better or worse than any other. I suspect for every person that doesn't like 4.35pm, there's another who does. After all, as a community we all lead complex lives. Someone who can't make a 2.10pm timeslot (perhaps attending children's sport or working) may be able to make it at 4.35pm. Conversely, a 4.35pm start might interfere with dinner plans - but for that person, a night match would be no good, anyway. 

People with young children have different timing needs than young, single adults, and so it goes on. It is clear on Demonland that every timeslot and day of the week has supporters and detractors. I suspect the best thing for the AFL to do for all clubs, is to have a big a mix as possible to provide opportunities for all. 

On topic, I thought the 29,000+ crowd was decent. I doubt the 4.35pm timeslot was the reason for there being fewer than 30,000. It's more that a Freo game, like most games against interstate teams, is lacking significant numbers of opposition fans.

• Like 5

Collingwood and Carlton with 80,000 members each, get only 80,000 to the game.I.e. About half their membership.

Melbourne with 60,000 members get just on 30,000 to their game, against an interstate side with little to no Melbourne base.

Not so different outcome in terms of attendance.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, Demon_spurs said:

I know this may sound like a bit of a first world problem, but every time I have to enter the Premium rooms (Hasset and Ryder) I have to show my premium ticket, so 1/4 time, half time, 3/4 time ,post game, pre game, if I need to go to the Loo, I have to get my phone out, find the right app and show the dude on the door my pass. this never used to be a problem, but little things like this detract from the whole "game day" experience. Not sure if equates to less crowds, but it's flaming annoying

I wish they would check tickets more regularly in the Southern Stand and keep the opposition supporters out. 

• Like 2

The Freo crowd was a really good number.

But it was a really poor quality of crowd.

Cheersquad and members need to lift.

The second quarter was excellent footy and with a bit more push from the crowd we could’ve nearly finished Freo off.

The small Freo crowd were delirious when they made their comeback.

You’re official on notice Demon Army. Lift.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

The second quarter was excellent footy and with a bit more push from the crowd we could’ve nearly finished Freo off.

*doesn’t wanna take the (patently obvious) bait, but does anyways coz once rattled, cage cannot be unrattled*

I know, right! It’s not like these selfish [censored] volunteer their time and effort every single week. Including every Thursday night making the banner. And it’s not like they pay for their own Army gear, likewise DA membership.  🙄 

Thank you DeeSpencer, for putting these lazy slackers on notice. What would the MFC do without loyal and dedicated members such as your good self. 😉

edit: forgot to mention our QB match, DeeSpencer. I trust I’ll see you at 7am in Fed Square volunteering at the sausage sizzle (cooking and selling said sausages), rattling Freeze MND cans, picking up food from Coles, etc., cleaning up afterwards, etc., etc., etc. 👍🏽 Sweet. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
Hadda gently remind old mate to think before typing
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'm not sure we've ever been a loud and delirious crowd. 

I was at last week's game against North and barely heard boo from us. North on the other hand were quiet loud but that was mainly due to the umpiring decisions going against them.

The atmosphere for thr Carlton and Collingwood game yesterday was nuts..

32 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I would quickly duck for cover when @WalkingCivilWarsees that!!

Unless she decides you are trolling and ignores you...

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I would quickly duck for cover when @WalkingCivilWarsees that!!

Unless she decides you are trolling and ignores you...

Too late Luci. And against my better judgment I replied. The MFC and the world in general need more ppl like @DeeSpencer! 😁

• Like 1

I was at the GWS game at the G last year and in the first 3 quarters it was like a practice match and it was only in the last quarter that I realised we had somme supporters there.

By then, of course, it was too late and even though we lifted we fell short.

We don't make a lot of noise and I'm not sure why, I yell out a but but I'm just one voice.

The Dockers fans made a lot more noise that we did at the game the other day and they had the chant going once they got in front, our supporters don't seem to have a chant, other than Melbourne clap clap clap.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I was at last week's game against North and barely heard boo from us. North on the other hand were quiet loud but that was mainly due to the umpiring decisions going against them.

The finals in 2018 were super loud and it was us clearly being fired up. And I can even remember games like the big Freo comeback when we weren’t a good side that had small but super vocal crowds.

• Like 1

On the issue of attendance,. I was told by a club official that we were expecting a crowd of a bit over 20,000 but not much and the AFL had anticipated less that 25,000.

I reckon we would have had a much better crowd if we'd played it over there.

43 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Make up your mind! 🙂

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

*doesn’t wanna take the (patently obvious) bait, but does anyways coz once rattled, cage cannot be unrattled*

I know, right! It’s not like these selfish [censored] volunteer their time and effort every single week. Including every Thursday night making the banner. And it’s not like they pay for their own Army gear, likewise DA membership.  🙄 

Thank you DeeSpencer, for putting these lazy slackers on notice. What would the MFC do without loyal and dedicated members such as your good self. 😉

Hey, when I go I make plenty of noise.

For years the ‘Melbourne clap clap clap’ chant would echo out after goals. I haven’t heard it once this year.

I’ll now refer to the group of supporters behind the goals as the ‘banner squad’ because evidently cheering isn’t part of their make up anymore.

It’s clear we’ve been spoilt by winning and we’ve become accustomed to it. A passive fan base unwilling to lift to support the team to further heights. That’s all supporters, not just the banner squad. 

19 minutes ago, Dante said:

our supporters don't seem to have a chant, other than Melbourne clap clap clap.

That’s one of several chants. We chant for the entire match, not just after goals. The maximum time between chants is maybe three minutes. That’s a tonne of chanting. 

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

For years the ‘Melbourne clap clap clap’ chant would echo out after goals. I haven’t heard it once this year.

I’ll now refer to the group of supporters behind the goals as the ‘banner squad’

The “Banner Squad” huh? You’re so funny. I refer to you and your kind as the “[censored] Squad.” 😘

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’ll now refer to the group of supporters behind the goals as the ‘banner squad’ because evidently cheering isn’t part of their make up anymore.

It’s clear we’ve been spoilt by winning and we’ve become accustomed to it. A passive fan base unwilling to lift to support the team to further heights. That’s all supporters, not just the banner squad. 

Maybe the chanting has disappeared because of the inane music clip played after we score a goal. Why is the music even thought to be a good idea? It's a complete emotion killer.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

19 hours ago, praha said:

Peak Snow season is July to September.

Hopefully this outlier spanking we received on the weekend won't impact Saturday Night too much. 

56 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

That’s one of several chants. We chant for the entire match, not just after goals. The maximum time between chants is maybe three minutes. That’s a tonne of chanting. 

The “Banner Squad” huh? You’re so funny. I refer to you and your kind as the “[censored] Squad.” 😘

I sit in the legends area and there is a young guy there that gets us going, he turns round to us and starts us going with the Melbourne etc. I pretty sure he can be heard round the rest off the ground, he is that loud, he's been going to the games for years and even in his younger years he was very vocal.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, MT64 said:

Not withstanding having just got out of hospital and certainly unable to attend but using ticketek to get "prime" seats in nose bleed territory level four is just not on. I always seat level one,  M46 or level two but absolutely refuse level four. With my health lately (not Covid related) just better I stay at home. Will try for the Sydney game.

Mal you missed a remarkable game, I went, was concerned at half time. 
then we got blitzed after the main break,

very discouraging they had very little trouble getting it in the centre and it just kept going their way.  At least you could get something to eat or drink. Half the bars and good outlets were shut where I was.

hope your hospital stay was successful, might get there for the QB match but remains to be seen and too many pies supporters as well.

all sitting where I like to sit 

cheers mate get well 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I agree with your comments about the members/supporters in general but not the cheer squad. Go sit near them during a game, they try but it's hard for 50 or 100 people to make much noise when the thousands around them just sit on their hands

• Like 1
  • Love 1