CASEY: Rd 01 vs Sandringham

Demonland

1 hour ago, ding said:

Weideman is not going to make it. Just doesnt have enough mongerel in him to mix it with the big dogs. This contract should be his last.

This, surprised so many can't see it.

• Like 3

A couple

of questions for our Casey watchers

1/ anyone kicking the door down after today (assuming all fit in the seniors)?

2/ Howes - does he have a “plays like” for comparison, and where do you see him fitting in ultimately?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ucanchoose said:

Hasn't been that since a final in 2018. No idea why they kept him

Weid was pretty decient for most of 2020, when many said it was T Mac's cards that were marked an Weid would be our key forward from then on.

It's Rd 1 VFL, I'm happy to give Weid the benifit of the doubt and see what he can do.  It's a long season and who knows.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 11

14 minutes ago, monoccular said:

A couple

of questions for our Casey watchers

1/ anyone kicking the door down after today (assuming all fit in the seniors)?

2/ Howes - does he have a “plays like” for comparison, and where do you see him fitting in ultimately?

to me nonone was kicking the door down but a lot to get optimistic about. There has been such a lack of VFL games and form to go on. It will be good if we can get one or two players back soon like Hibberd and Lever and let these younger players develop for a  month or two, We should then get a decent gauge. and who knows a Bowey or Petty may emerge and when they are ready make an impact for our side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Weeds is now a shadow of the shadow of a player he used to be. 

At 1.50, what happened to this aggression? Think we all thought we had a player on our hands after this game. Has been ‘almost’ taking marks ever since. 

Edited by FarNorthernD
Forgot to post link
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

I am saying to trial him at CHB at Casey, if it works then you have a selection option. At the moment he is not a selection option at all. And I just don’t see him making it as a forward but he definitely has size, mobility and clean hands (if there isn’t a fist coming through of course). At this stage he won’t be at the club next year. 

Sadly I don’t think he is an AFL talent Earl. Doesn’t even proform well at this level. 

• Like 1

Says something when JVR, playing his first real game, does better than someone who's been in the system for 6 years. You would think that Weideman has been given every support and every chance, but he doesn't seem to have made much progress. OK, early in the year, but it's been early in the year for a number of years now without any of those years leading to him getting closer to becoming a reliable AFL footballer.

• Thinking 1

3 hours ago, mo64 said:

Why do we need to make concessions to an already brilliant and established backline, just to fit Weid into the team? 

It’s not bout fitting him in team it’s about trying it for his confidence and creating a solid depth roster! He’ll go elsewhere and be tried and dominate so it’s worth trying 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

only saw the last quarter.

Nice win but no one bashing the door down

good handball but perhaps recipients too close leading to congestion and turnovers

Anyone who kicks 7 IS BASHING THE DOOR DOWN!!

Mitch Brown is a clever footballer who knows where to run to get the Footy, His preseason was hampered BUT if anyone can remember... He WON us the game vs Hawks LAST year when we were stretched.

Of the others mentioned on this site, and I am recounting from my training Diaries

Van Rooyen is the next biggest thing, he Reminds me of a developmental Jack Gunston!

Woewodin also is a Diamond , Albet Rough, he is a version of Jack Viney but with more "Finese" No disrespect meant here either!

Bailey Laurie, well I can seen why we recruited him as he has smarts and good skills but has been hamstrung with injury

Also the one that really impressed me pre season was Mondiz -Wakefield!

Re Weeds... as much as I want him to succeed there is something missing and unless something clicks I  just cannot see him playing too much at Dees! 

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 12

There was a moment in the second quarter when Weid lost another marking contest and then couldn’t be bothered to raise his arms on the mark. Looked very poor and just sums up his lazy approach to the game in general, zero intensity. Should have shipped him off to the Pies when Eddie was there. . 

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

We all want Sam to rekindle that 2018 Finals Form, we know that he has it in him, we have an excellent coaching team that can get him fit and well drilled in what is required of him. I mean he chose to stay with us rather than seek alternate opportunities but like all AFL players it has to come from within, Sam really needs to tap into that Weiderman name and find that inner strength that separates success from failure. I hope that Sam finds it for him and us.!!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Redlagged said:

Doesn't take long for the hyenas to start moving in.

No I've been saying it for a while, been at the club 6 years.

4 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Been saying for 2 years throw him to CHB and let’s see what he has. If it worked Petty could return forward. Weid appears to have the tools to play off half back, and it’s easier to play there and build some confidence than be a key forward with limited opportunities and someone sitting off your left shoulder all day. 

4 hours ago, mo64 said:

Why do we need to make concessions to an already brilliant and established backline, just to fit Weid into the team? 

I wouldn’t see it as making concessions, rather trying to make the most out of what could well be a complete flop. 
It is looking more and more that he will not make it as a KPP forward: IF he was tried as a KPP back there is a chance that he could become at worst a depth player. 
Just thinking outside the box. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure why we don’t try Weideman as a back man to be honest, especially when Petty could transition into a forward which is where he started his career. 
We have him for 2 more seasons. Let’s try to get something out of it. 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 2

Would definitely play Brown against his old club. Nothing will motivate him to kick a bag at AFL level more!

• Like 4

Amazing...we win by 80 odd points & no-one is knocking the door down??  It is ROUND 1 of the VFL season & after 2 COVID interrupted seasons...lets see what our MFC listed players are doing after ROUND 6.  If there is an injury to our senior team we are bringing a player into a team where they just have to play their role . Pretty harsh assessments on some players after 1 game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chief said:

There was a moment in the second quarter when Weid lost another marking contest and then couldn’t be bothered to raise his arms on the mark. Looked very poor and just sums up his lazy approach to the game in general, zero intensity. Should have shipped him off to the Pies when Eddie was there. . 

Get him down back and tell him he is accountable for an opposition forward! Let’s see how he goes. if he refuses to be accountable in the backline then it’s time to end the relationship. 

At least we might learn something not just repeating the same thing over and over. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Thehardtackler said:

Would definitely play Brown against his old club. Nothing will motivate him to kick a bag at AFL level more!

The few times I have seen Brown he has always looked like a natural forward. Tall agile, knows where to run and good hands. He has been inaccurate at times and hasn’t been given a second chance unlike others. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redlagged said:

Take out. the Geelong final and tell us where he has had a meaningful impact.

Bowey has had more impact in 9 games.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Watched the while game and gave an assessment on some of the players.

Mitch Brown: That was some performance.  He could have easily kicked 9 but missed a few gettable shots as well. He seriously clunked everything that came his way and was a clear BOG. Right now he's putting enormous pressure on Tom McDonald who let's be realistic, hasn't fired a shot since before last year's finals. Brown should be rewarded for that performance alone but we know our coaching staff don't operate like that. 

Sam Weideman: Yeah look it wasn't a good performance at all. He played like a bloke that accepted defeat pretty early. His body language was pretty poor and he had no impact on the game. Truly amazed that he's in his 6th year in the system and yet still struggles to take a contested mark with his frame. It's only round 1 but the signs don't look good for him this year.

Jacob Van Rooyen: I know we need to temper expectations on first year players but bloody hell he was impressive. Can take a serious clunk and works really hard. Could have kicked 5 but missed a few. On today's performance he's way ahead of Weideman and no doubt will make his debut this year. He's a big lump of a lad and his forward caft is impressive for a first year player. Another who'll keep the pressure on Tom McDonald and could impact at AFL level instantly especially with his big frame. 8 marks 13 disposals to go with his 3.2 is a great debut at AFL level. Get excited.

Taj Woewodin: He's so classy and clean with ball in hand. Has great poise and provides overlap run. At times there was a few sloppy passages until he came in and cleaned it up with his calmness with the ball. He'll play AFL this year if he keeps that performance up.

Blake Howes: I really like his game today. He like Woewodin was clean and has good awareness. He had 16 disposals to 3 quarter time and was on his way to a 20 plus game plus but I think he was rested in the last because I did not spot him at all. Could be a carry over for next Friday night?

Bailey Laurie: it was a solid game for Laurie. It's his first real competitive game since last year after a pretty lengy injury lay-off. Full pre season now and played well i thought and was classy with his ball use. Still getting use to the tempo of senior footy but I think he'll develop into a fine half forward who is a great ball user. 20 disposals, 5 tackles and kicked 2 goals playing midfield and half forward.

Deakyn Smith: Pumped him up pre game and said he'll put pressure on Jayden Hunt if he plays well and he didn't disappoint. One touch player who was clean out of defence and took some really good strong intercept marks. 21 disposals and was named in the best for Casey.

Andy Moniz Wakefield: Never seen him play until today and thought he was good at times. He definitely hunts the ball in the front half and likes to put body pressure on as well. It'll be a a development year for AMW, but I thought he too showed good touch and adjusted pretty well to his first senior footy at VFL level. Hard nut also.

Jake Melksham: He should not, and no way near senior selection based on today's performance.  He is cooked and I could name 7 other players who are ahead of him based on today. He should only player if we are affected by Covid this year.

Oscar Baker: sloppy and butchers the footy too often for my liking. Put him in the Melksham/Covid category as an emergency need.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Redlagged said:

No, probably only 4 years for some.

He won't make it unless someone gets into his head in a BIG way. He has the talent but not the mental fortitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1