Bevo unleashes on Tom Morris

dazzledavey36

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Yeah, too bad he’s not a robot with zero emotion, hey. 

To quote Björk Godmundsdóttir regarding the complexity of human behaviour in a song aptly titled Human Behaviour

“And there is no map. And a compass wouldn’t help at all”

To describe his outburst as ‘pathetic’ at the time of the outburst, ie, before knowing the circumstances/backstory etc. is one thing. But to call it pathetic now is unsympathetic and unfair. IMHO, anyways. 

I think Bjork would agree that we can only judge people on what they reveal - we don’t know what excuses (or reasons) Luke had to talk to a journalist like that.

What we do know is that he belittled a person, called a conflict, brought into question the integrity of someone, and eschewed the leaking of his own colleagues to harangue someone else.

And this is after another poor performance from his team which the press conference should have focussed on.

He has done this before to Cornes and Barrett and we allow it because those two can be onerous and odious but let’s not allow someone to do what he did last Wednesday night without consequences; especially when it is just the label of ‘pathetic.’

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, rpfc said:

I think Bjork would agree that we can only judge people on what they reveal - we don’t know what excuses (or reasons) Luke had to talk to a journalist like that.

just the label of ‘pathetic.’

And I think she’d agree that this is the very reason to NOT  judge someone…

… especially by using a word like ‘pathetic’ which can never be ‘just a label’ such is its unambiguous definition. 

2 hours ago, hemingway said:

But in the pressure cooker environment of the media circus he cracked. Unwise but understandable. As we all know, the best way to manage your anger is by silence. Angry responses always result in a backlash. 

Don't like to let my anger fester myself.
To hell with the backlash 😂

17 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

And I think she’d agree that this is the very reason to NOT  judge someone…

… especially by using a word like ‘pathetic’ which can never be ‘just a label’ such is its unambiguous definition. 

I didn’t say he is pathetic, i intimated his act was pathetic, and it was. Luke is a good person and loyal to a fault.

But I think we saw those fault lines and it was a detriment to him and the game.

• Like 2

It's high art on here when Bjork s quoted.(I have a strong affinity for many things Icelandic) i

Anyway... perhaps these lyrics are apt for Luke's relationship towards Tom...

The opposite of love isn't hatred...it's apathy! 😍

"Shhhh, Shhhh

It's, oh, so quiet
Shhhh Shhhh
It's, oh, so still
Shhhh Shhhh
You're all alone
Shhh Shhh
And so peaceful until...

You fall in love
Zing boom

The sky up above
Zing boom

Is caving in
Wow bam

You've never been so nuts about a guy
You wanna laugh ,you wanna cry

You cross your heart and hope to die
'Til it's over and then..."
Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

It's high art on here when Bjork s quoted.(I have a strong affinity for many things Icelandic) i

Anyway... perhaps these lyrics are apt for Luke's relationship towards Tom...

The opposite of love isn't hatred...it's apathy! 😍

"Shhhh, Shhhh

It's, oh, so quiet
Shhhh Shhhh
It's, oh, so still
Shhhh Shhhh
You're all alone
Shhh Shhh
And so peaceful until...

You fall in love
Zing boom

The sky up above
Zing boom

Is caving in
Wow bam

You've never been so nuts about a guy
You wanna laugh ,you wanna cry

You cross your heart and hope to die
'Til it's over and then..."

Same! I really love Björk and she’s not even my favourite Icelandic act.

But you didn’t quote the part from that song that might apply to Bevo the most…

“You blow a fuse

Zing boom

The devil cuts loose

Zing boom…”

😬

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Morris said something about a workmate he probably shouldn't have in a workplace.
Should have been handled privately by their employer.
Instead the audio got released by someone with a axe to grind and the media in their wisdom thought it appropriate to release it for public consumption.
Poor Megan got caught in the crossfire and should talk to her lawyers about who thought it appropriate to release the audio.
Saw her on daytime tv today looking like someone who hadn't slept for a few days.
 Her employers and the media also have alot to answer for here.

And Tom Morris should sue his 'friend' for illegally recording him and ending his career.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

And Tom Morris should sue his 'friend' for illegally recording him and ending his career.

He recorded himself.

At least in the message about his colleague. The other one is less clear.

And both were on a closed what's app channel for friends of his.

So, not only did he record one message, both were up on his group chat.

Meaning he had the option, and opportunity, to delete them from that chat at any point. 

But chose not to.

Can't have been too concerned.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hemingway said:

I feel sorry for Bevo and I can understand his outburst.

Ernie, great post and agreed with everything you said except the above sentence.

I can understand Bevo wanting to “outburst”, but for someone who has been in the system for as long as he has, the outburst was so highly unprofessional you have got to worry about Bevo rather than feel sorry for him. I know coaches are under pressure as you state, but it’s only the first round for goodness sake. I hope he has some good people around him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

I wonder how the footy public would have reacted if Bevo behaved the same way towards a female journalist, and not Tom Morris.

Good point.

Bevo has got off basically without any penalty, other than having to read a statement that someone else probably wrote for him.

To me he gave the appearance of somebody reluctantly reading an apology, that he didn't really believe in.

The club has donated $20000.00 to one of it's own charities, big deal.

This bloke bullied a journo on national TV, without giving him any chance of reply. It was disgusting.

For the AFL to not punish Bevo, seemingly condoning extreme bullying, at its own media conference, is just more hypocritical behaviour by this organization, yet again.

The Morris incident the next day is irrelevant, unless Bevo knew of the Morris comments when he made his and then played a part in their distribution, which seems very unlikely.

If someone employed by the Dogs or AFL, or wherever, is behind the release of the Morris audio, that person probably deserves the same fate as Morris, as distributing it to the public and hurting an innocent person, is a worse crime than Morris's, which was making some drunken, repulsive comments, in a private setting. 

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

48 minutes ago, rpfc said:

It wasn’t public but our review identified that Goodwin didn’t have enough support and even the man himself says he wasn’t coping well and needed more help. 

Cue Williams, Yze and a flag.

CW right to criticise Beveridge for that outburst - it was OTT and quite pathetic really.

Bevo might need support, neither of us have enough info to compare Goodwin and Bevo, except for the info they are widely acknowledged as genuine people.

Bevy OTT? Agreed, he apologized. Quite pathetic ? Too strong, he had a serious wobble. Quite pathetic is the media equating him to Richard Nixon levels of villainy, CW calling for a six figure fine is shrill, OTT  and she is doubling down on it. She is just plain mean and frequently a hypocrite, going after the way he looks was just shallow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, willmoy said:

Fiona Reynolds in Canberra Times wrote a simple article on 16th July 2020, that if listened to, would have already added to the quality of journalism  from the grass roots level upwards even now..

Do you have a link?

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

For the AFL to not punish Bevo, seemingly condoning extreme bullying, at its own media conference, is just more hypocritical behaviour by this organization, yet again.

I thought that too until I reflected on his extreme bullying of Morris being out of character (notwithstanding his past sparring with Cornes and Barrett), on his reference to the mental health of staff and players and the impact of the soft cap, that it may have all been a cry for help.  Thankfully help both football and personal is now forthcoming.

He knew he had embarrassed himself, his club and sponsors.  His apology was filmed before a blank sheet, no sponsor logos in sight.  He looked shattered.

Any further punishment by the AFL may not be the best for his well being. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, binman said:

He recorded himself.

At least in the message about his colleague. The other one is less clear.

And both were on a closed what's app channel for friends of his.

So, not only did he record one message, both were up on his group chat.

Meaning he had the option, and opportunity, to delete them from that chat at any point. 

But chose not to.

Can't have been too concerned.

A closed app is a lot different to full public. His career is over. 
if i were Morris I would be getting serious Legal Advice, today. 
He has absolutely nothing to lose, plus it will be a fascinating test case 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 12:00 PM, Dees2014 said:

I find it really interesting the lack of outrage on here by many of the male posters about the attitudes exhibited by Morris in those recordings. By any standards they are appalling, but it seems that many make posters on here think that Tom was dobbed in not for having such appalling views but because he had a few “disloyal” mates. Clearly medieval attitudes exist on Demonland and male chauvinism reigns in some quarters. No wonder our female friends despair at such male behaviours. Morris deserves to be rubbed out for life from working in the media ever again. There is no room for these sorts of attitudes in today’s modern Australia.

man-holds-white-rock-inscribed-600w-8644702.jpg.webp.0db2e36f6b655c0ff6354773b16f044d.webp

So you've never said anything in front of, or behind the back, of someone that you regret?

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

The club has donated $20000.00 to one of it's own charities, big deal.

Yes, a $20,000.00 donation to (youth mental health organisation) Orygen IS a big deal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dante said:

man-holds-white-rock-inscribed-600w-8644702.jpg.webp.0db2e36f6b655c0ff6354773b16f044d.webp

So you've never said anything in front of, or behind the back, of someone that you regret?

This attitude is so ridiculous.

Someone doing something wrong isn't cancelled out by the fact someone else did something wrong. It's not really hard to understand if you're not looking to make excuses for behaviour you're seeking to condone.

Can see the legal system now... "Look, I know he killed 17 people, but I got a parking ticket once so he's gonna have to be free of consequences..."

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 6

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

This attitude is so ridiculous.

Someone doing something wrong isn't cancelled out by the fact someone else did something wrong. It's not really hard to understand if you're not looking to make excuses for behaviour you're seeking to condone.

Can see the legal system now... "Look, I know he killed 17 people, but I got a parking ticket once so he's gonna have to be free of consequences..."

That’s probably the most idiotic response I’ve seen to a post, do you have any idea as to what you are saying?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Dante said:

Not to the extent he went no. I guess l was brought up by a very strong willed and smart woman, similarly my ex wife both of whom educated me about the wonders of womanhood and led me to have huge respect and love for women in general and them in particular. But like everyone, some of women are complete [censored] as a lot of men are bastards. I suggest you read closely what Morris said to his mates on that tape. It reminded me of the worst sorts of male chauvinism which l occasionally came across at Melbourne Grammar from which l think Morris gets his attitudes. Although it has been tempting at times, no l have not uttered those attitudes. There are plenty of other things l can get angry about. 

• Like 2