B. Lever May Tomlinson

HB Rivers Hibberd Bowey

C Brayshaw Petracca Langdon

HF Neal Bullen Harmes Pickett

F Fritsch B. Brown Weideman

FOLL Gawn Oliver Viney

IC Dunstan Jordon M. Brown McDonald

Emerg: Hunt Bedford Daw Spargo

I would like to see us experiment a little. I think we can afford a few changes against Gold Coast. We have a strong squad.

I also think Dunstan and Weideman deserve their chance!

Edited by Thehardtackler
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thehardtackler said:

B. Lever May Tomlinson

HB Rivers Hibberd Bowey

FOLL Gawn Oliver Viney

I would like to see us experiment a little. I think we can afford a few changes against Gold Coast. We have a strong squad.

You're dropping Jackson for Mitch Brown then? And he's also now behind Daw in the pecking order?

That you Bevo?

:mahoney2:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Thehardtackler said:

B. Lever May Tomlinson

HB Rivers Hibberd Bowey

FOLL Gawn Oliver Viney

I notice one of your interests is watching Melbourne win, with your changes you might have to rethink that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

and who does Tomlinson get in this scenario?  out of interest

or would you drop him for Weed?

No Salem goes out, they maintain the structure with 3 talls, a hybrid mid tall in Smith with Hunt, Bowey and Brayshaw.  It is a structure we like playing with hibberd played the Smith Role on GF with Petty, May and Lever, plus Salem, Rivers, Bowey.

Bringing in Weiderman helps keep the forward structure with like.

• Thinking 1

Last season we started with a settled back 50 and a settled midfield with no idea of what would happen in the forward 50. The adjustments were made and players stepped up at the beginning of 2021.

This season we are thin of the ground for defenders with 5 premiership defenders out R1. We had the personnel to cover that against the dogs with the midfield pressure adding a lot to the 22 man defence. 

I would like to see Lever and Rivers back if they are fit and ready to go. Brayshaw back to a primary role on the defensive wing with Bowey used more as the outlet/connection player. He has the kills but may not yet have a fully developed tank.

In the midfield Goodwin seems to like matching Oliver against the best mid of the opposition. Not a hard tag but a run with role on Rowell. I would be interested to see that. Harmes to switch there if Rowell is getting away too much.

Think we have got them covered..... Dees by 5.......Goals

• Like 2

Tomlinson and Hunt were preferred selections in 2021 until they were injured.  I think of them as part of our starting back six and could easily have premiership medals if luck had gone their way.  As it was Petty and Bowey got to play instead and fully deserve their medals.

So I'm not sure Tomlinson and Hunt are just 'depth'.

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Tomlinson and Hunt were preferred selections in 2021 until they were injured.  I think of them as part of our starting back six and could easily have premiership medals if luck had gone their way.  As it was Petty and Bowey got to play instead and fully deserve their medals.

I watched the replay of the R1 match. Hunt played well. Tomlinson just so/so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

I watched the replay of the R1 match. Hunt played well. Tomlinson just so/so.

But Tomlinson kept his spot until injured so that says something for him.

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Particularly Hunt. I think his speed off had back is very valuable and complements the others. The established backline outside him are not exactly quick…

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Understand where you're coming from but they might both have been passed (doesn't mean they can't recover).  I think if any of our defender's come back this week it will be Tomlinson out.  Hunt will stay in until all our smaller defenders are back (Rivers, Salem and arguably Hibbo).  Then it comes a question of whether we prefer Hunt's pace or Bowey's precise kicking.

As harsh as it is for Tomlinson, he offers less flexibility to Smith / Petty.  Clearly the coaching staff love Smith and the fact he could play tall and then switch to small (when TMac went back) shows why he's very handy. The way the players (eg Gus and Gawny) talk of Petty, it seems he is now an automatic selection if fit.  He can also play forward and is comfortable leaving his man to impact the contest and playing the sweeper.

Like TMac, Tomlinson's elite endurance is a weapon but they're not able to capitalise on it at the moment as his skills / speed seem to suit playing deeper in defence.  He has come back from a serious knee injury so he might have a bit of improvement left in him this year but he's no longer best 22 for mine.  

When considering selections, keep in mind that Tomlinson played 100% game time last week (as did Langdon, but no-one else). That, in itself, has some value as it allows other defenders more rest time. I don't know if that would be enough to keep him in the side, but I imagine it's something the Match Committee will take into consideration when balancing all factors.

• Like 2

IMO Tomlinson will not be dropped after doing a full ACL recovery, after his first week back, in a winning team. Goodwin does not operate this way.

Out: Salem

In: Hibbo/Riv 

Smith to take Hunts role as 4th mid-size defender when Lever returns 

On 3/18/2022 at 4:09 PM, WinterofDiscontent said:

Not a single person has seemed to realise that Kozzie put a lot of time into being a defensive forward on Caleb Daniel. 

When the Dogs beat us in round 19 last year, Daniel had 34 possessions, 128 AFL Fantasy Point and kicked one goal. Even in the Grand Final when the Dogs barely touched the ball for 45 minutes, he ended that game having 37 touches and 126 Fantasy Points. 

On Wednesday night he was kept to 26, and they weren't overly effective - only 89 fantasy points. Anyone that didn't see what Koz was doing and the role his was playing needs to watch the game again. 

Did watch the game again and all I can think to say is Hmmmm, not so sure about this.

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

When considering selections, keep in mind that Tomlinson played 100% game time last week (as did Langdon, but no-one else). That, in itself, has some value as it allows other defenders more rest time. I don't know if that would be enough to keep him in the side, but I imagine it's something the Match Committee will take into consideration when balancing all factors.

Absolutely wild that Langdon can play an entire game the way he does with no rest but what the quarter time breaks can give him.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

Understand where you're coming from but they might both have been passed (doesn't mean they can't recover).  I think if any of our defender's come back this week it will be Tomlinson out.  Hunt will stay in until all our smaller defenders are back (Rivers, Salem and arguably Hibbo).  Then it comes a question of whether we prefer Hunt's pace or Bowey's precise kicking.

As harsh as it is for Tomlinson, he offers less flexibility to Smith / Petty.  Clearly the coaching staff love Smith and the fact he could play tall and then switch to small (when TMac went back) shows why he's very handy. The way the players (eg Gus and Gawny) talk of Petty, it seems he is now an automatic selection if fit.  He can also play forward and is comfortable leaving his man to impact the contest and playing the sweeper.

Like TMac, Tomlinson's elite endurance is a weapon but they're not able to capitalise on it at the moment as his skills / speed seem to suit playing deeper in defence.  He has come back from a serious knee injury so he might have a bit of improvement left in him this year but he's no longer best 22 for mine.  

An interesting discussion re our backs. 

Last year we played:  May, Lever, Tomlinson, Hunt, Salem, Hibberd and Rivers until injury struck.   We add Petty and Bowey for Tomlinson and Hunt. 

At any given time they are all starting 22 but we don't have enough spots.  Who are the depth?  Maybe Hibberd.

But it isn't a decision we need to make for a while with Petty out for 3-4 weeks and Salem out for 6-8.  So at the moment we have 7 defenders who are fit or are 'test'. 

If Lever is fit he comes in and TMc goes forward.   Maybe the rest bide their time until a spot becomes available, especially if we continue to play Brayshaw as a defender which we might while Salem is out.  

After all Goodwin has shown he sticks with players who are playing their role. 

Edited by Lucifers Hero

3 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

Particularly Hunt. I think his speed off had back is very valuable and complements the others. The established backline outside him are not exactly quick…

For out and out pace maybe Rivers Bowey Smith and Salem are behind Hunt and are no doubt ahead of Hibbo May Lever Petty Tommo and Tmac also Brayshaw.

But it must be said that backline speed is generally in a straight  line and most players with the ball look quick especially if all those "slower" players think and play clever football either with handballs or short or long disposals.

Come to think of it how many times in 2021 can you remember any of our defenders being caught holding the ball?

Hardly  ever ! And it took a disgraceful decision on Wed for the umpire to decide Trac of all people was holding!!! Fact of the matter was that Two Dogs tackled him and with out prior opportunity the ump decided he held on too long which he had no way of disposal As he  was surrounded by the two opponents snd not able to free the ball. It was a one off as no other decision on the night was paid the same It lead  to the Dogs third or fourth goal on their 8 goal on the run burst. 

So all our defenders are skilled but some gave more genuine pace than others but no one is vulnerable with Tommo probably the slowest. 

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

51 minutes ago, Chook said:

Absolutely wild that Langdon can play an entire game the way he does with no rest but what the quarter time breaks can give him.

I also like the idea that he plays on the southern wing for the whole match. I've seen it stated somewhere that he does so to make it easier for the wingmen on the northern side to interchange. I have no idea if that's the real reason, but it makes for a good story whether it's true or not.   

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

21 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I also like the idea that he plays on the southern wing for the whole match. I've seen it stated somewhere that he does so to make it easier for the wingmen on the northern side to interchange. I have no idea if that's the real reason, but it makes for a good story whether it's true or not.   

Yeah I think that is correct.  Normally it would be decided by which is a player's preferred foot but seemingly that doesn't cause problems for Langdon

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

An interesting discussion re our backs. 

Last year we played:  May, Lever, Tomlinson, Hunt, Salem, Hibberd and Rivers until injury struck.   We add Petty and Bowey for Tomlinson and Hunt. 

At any given time they are all starting 22 but we don't have enough spots.  Who are the depth?  Maybe Hibberd.

But it isn't a decision we need to make for a while with Petty out for 3-4 weeks and Salem out for 6-8.  So at the moment we have 7 defenders who are fit or are 'test'. 

If Lever is fit he comes in and TMc goes forward.   Maybe the rest bide their time until a spot becomes available, especially if we continue to play Brayshaw as a defender which we might while Salem is out.  

After all Goodwin has shown he sticks with players who are playing their role. 

Definitely will be interesting going forward.  And realistically we are not going to have everyone injury free so the adaptability and flexibility they've all shown is really positive.

There are 7 positions in defence  (6 plus 1 on interchange).  This is how I think we would select:

1. Full back / lock down - May (if injured next choice Tomlinson / Petty)

2. Interceptor - Lever.  (If injured, next choice Petty - May and Hibbo and Tmac? can also play this role)

3. Third Tall - Petty (if injured Smith next choice then Tomlinson and Hibbo at a stretch)

4. 4th tall / capable of playing small - Smith (if injured Hibbo and if both injured then Tomlinson could come in and May / Lever play on a smaller player)

5. High half-back / distributor - Salem (if injured Rivers, Bowey, Hunt and Brayshaw)

6. Small defender - Rivers (if injured Bowey / Hunt)

7.  Interchange - one of Bowey or Hunt.

It's obviously going to depend on matchups as well eg sometimes Lever plays on a smaller player and sometimes on a tall - not sure if this is dictated by who else is in the backline or if the player they want him on dictates who's selected.

• Like 1