• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Casey Demons 2022

KC from Casey

6 hours ago, The Third Eye said:

Don’t forget Corey Ellison.

Sorry yes I actually meant Ellison rather than Goonan.  Ellison looked very handy in some games and had a day out when he kicked 6 as a midsized forward v Werribee. Then the shutdown happened.  Be good to see what he can do with hopefully a full season ahead. Still time ahead as he’s only 20.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/688735/more-money-more-matches-more-opportunity-vfl-rule-changes-for-2022

Lots of changes and opportunities.  Whilst reading about lots of departures out of Casey, the Casey Demons have showed that we have offered a pathway for guys - like the “big O” (lions), Lockhart and Fritsch - for young talent overlooked in draft to come through. Hoping to see Casey find some more talent this year.  

• Vomit 1

This week’s Cranbourne Leader has an article that covers player movements at the Casey Demons ahead of the forthcoming VFL season. Unfortunately, I don’t have the link to “VFL: String of local hopes training at Casey Demons, including MPNFL trio” which is under a paywall.

The article highlights a young hopeful who is about to sign with the club, Roan Steele 20 (pictured below) who won Frankston YCW’s best and fairest last year after kicking 24 goals from 12 matches in his first season of senior football.

According to Casey Demons coach Marc Corrigan, “… he’s got an elite tank. He’s a smart player, high footy IQ, and he’ll certainly be on our list.”

Key players retained are Mitch White, James Munro and Tom Freeman, as well as Jarryd Baker, Riley Baldi, Jack Bell, Corey Ellison, George Grey Matt Johnson, Luca Goonan, Harvey Neocleous, Aidan Quigley, Miles Shepherd and Josh Smith while the most notable pickup is former GWS defender and Dandenong Stingray Matt Buntine is Casey’s most notable recruit. The 28-year-old played 67 matches for the Giants after debuting in 2012.

’’He’ll be important, not just from a playing perspective but in terms of what he brings in experience and leadership,’’ Corrigan said.

Also training at the club are prospective newcomers Bryce Milford, Ryan Koo Kwet and Kobi George from the Dandenong Stingrays, big Billy Bundle from Gippsland Power, Xavier College pair Hayden Woodhouse and Tommy McRae, Langwarrin’s Zach Andrewartha, Rowville’s Tyler Edwards, Cranbourne pair Nick Russo and Jake Carosella and Pearcedale’s Luke Daniel.

Players to have moved on include former skipper Jack Hutchins, Zac Foot, Cory Stockdale, Jaxon Briggs, Nathan Heath, Lachie Modica, Tom McCaffrey, Mitch Lewis, Cory Machaya, Andrew Courtney, Jaxon Stuart, Nick Lowden and Ryan Sparkes.

56416095-57A2-4B43-AF3E-140510F1CC79.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Alright I understand that the Dees play the senior players ahead of the VFL players so White is the only certainty to play in a full strength team but this is my Casey team putting in all the regular Casey players.

B: Buntine, J.Smith, Freeman

HB: Hunt, Tomlinson, McVee

C: Howes, Munro, Baker

HF: Melksham, White, Grey

F: Bedford, Weideman, Ellison

FOLL: Daw, Dunstan, Jordon

IC: Laurie, Van Rooyen, Chandler, M.Brown

EMERG: Turner, D.Smith, Rosman

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KC from Casey said:

This week’s Cranbourne Leader has an article that covers player movements at the Casey Demons ahead of the forthcoming VFL season. Unfortunately, I don’t have the link to “VFL: String of local hopes training at Casey Demons, including MPNFL trio” which is under a paywall.

The article highlights a young hopeful who is about to sign with the club, Roan Steele 20 (pictured below) who won Frankston YCW’s best and fairest last year after kicking 24 goals from 12 matches in his first season of senior football.

According to Casey Demons coach Marc Corrigan, “… he’s got an elite tank. He’s a smart player, high footy IQ, and he’ll certainly be on our list.”

Key players retained are Mitch White, James Munro and Tom Freeman, as well as Jarryd Baker, Riley Baldi, Jack Bell, Corey Ellison, George Grey Matt Johnson, Luca Goonan, Harvey Neocleous, Aidan Quigley, Miles Shepherd and Josh Smith while the most notable pickup is former GWS defender and Dandenong Stingray Matt Buntine is Casey’s most notable recruit. The 28-year-old played 67 matches for the Giants after debuting in 2012.

’’He’ll be important, not just from a playing perspective but in terms of what he brings in experience and leadership,’’ Corrigan said.

Also training at the club are prospective newcomers Bryce Milford, Ryan Koo Kwet and Kobi George from the Dandenong Stingrays, big Billy Bundle from Gippsland Power, Xavier College pair Hayden Woodhouse and Tommy McRae, Langwarrin’s Zach Andrewartha, Rowville’s Tyler Edwards, Cranbourne pair Nick Russo and Jake Carosella and Pearcedale’s Luke Daniel.

Players to have moved on include former skipper Jack Hutchins, Zac Foot, Cory Stockdale, Jaxon Briggs, Nathan Heath, Lachie Modica, Tom McCaffrey, Mitch Lewis, Cory Machaya, Andrew Courtney, Jaxon Stuart, Nick Lowden and Ryan Sparkes.

Thanks KC. Ryan Sparkes had a good year as a running wing/mid.  Disappointing to see him move on but probably looking for more game opportunities elsewhere.  

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 5:17 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/688735/more-money-more-matches-more-opportunity-vfl-rule-changes-for-2022

Lots of changes and opportunities.  Whilst reading about lots of departures out of Casey, the Casey Demons have showed that we have offered a pathway for guys - like the “big O” (lions), Lockhart and Fritsch - for young talent overlooked in draft to come through. Hoping to see Casey find some more talent this year.  

Local footy Div 1 and Premier comps have a higher salary cap than the VFL standalone clubs.  The format of this comp is terrible, get rid of the northern state teams.  A stand alone club has a cap of $220,000, big local footy clubs would spend more.

AFL should spend more time investing in this comp or bring in AFL Reserves, I reckon if you polled AFL members they would rather see AFL Reserves than AFLW.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

On 12/12/2021 at 9:20 AM, spirit of norm smith said:

Sorry yes I actually meant Ellison rather than Goonan.  Ellison looked very handy in some games and had a day out when he kicked 6 as a midsized forward v Werribee. Then the shutdown happened.  Be good to see what he can do with hopefully a full season ahead. Still time ahead as he’s only 20.  

I was there that day the only game of football I saw live last year.

He had a good game that day, sadly has had to wait months to show us if he is destined for greater glory. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, drdrake said:

Local footy Div 1 and Premier comps have a higher salary cap than the VFL standalone clubs.  The format of this comp is terrible, get rid of the northern state teams.  A stand alone club has a cap of $220,000, big local footy clubs would spend more.

AFL should spend more time investing in this comp or bring in AFL Reserves, I reckon if you polled AFL members they would rather see AFL Reserves than AFLW.

That’s hardly politically correct dr. and we know how correct the AFL wants to be seen. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, drdrake said:

Amazing if correct

Do they also have caps on coaching and support salaries

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Amazing if correct

Do they also have caps on coaching and support salaries

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

That’s hardly politically correct dr. and we know how correct the AFL wants to be seen. 

Not sure about VFL clubs soft cap, they certainly don't have the access to staff that the AFL listed players have.  When you look at the caps, the stand alone VFL clubs do an amazing job to be competitive, basically they have equative of 2-3(entry Level) AFL list players wage for their entire list.

I'm all for the push into Female sport, however this shouldn't be done at the detriment of your core participants.  The AFL can't do both, they can't afford to continue to grow female football and have AFL Reserves.

• Like 1

It must be a tough gig recruiting players for teams like the Casey Demons. Players have to compete against AFL listed players for places in the team and if the Demons have another good year with injury, there might only be 6 to 8 places available on a weekly basis. Those who don’t make it need to go back to their local team and wouldn’t get much of a chance for continuity. It’s a pity the money ran out for the VFL reserves or development league. 

• Like 2

Interesting to see Kobi George training with Casey. Was, of course, a member of our Next Generation Academy along with Deakyn Smith. He is the son of David George who played for Dandenong in the VFA and was one of the smoothest movers on a football field you are ever likely to see. Turns 21 this year. I still hold out hope that he can make it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, drdrake said:

as a member, no way - aflw is the top tier competition, afl reserves is important but clearly secondary to the expansion and promotion of the women's league

both should exist imo

• Like 6

11 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

as a member, no way - aflw is the top tier competition, afl reserves is important but clearly secondary to the expansion and promotion of the women's league

both should exist imo

It seems to me that as usual the AFL is doing the usual of trying to be the social conscience of sport. Without the men's competition being strong the deck of cards comes down. The men's competition needs to remain strong which means a good reserves competition is needed. Then the Women's competition not the other way round. Yes both at the same time should be the desired objective but that is not how I read it. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, old dee said:

It seems to me that as usual the AFL is doing the usual of trying to be the social conscience of sport. Without the men's competition being strong the deck of cards comes down. The men's competition needs to remain strong which means a good reserves competition is needed. Then the Women's competition not the other way round. Yes both at the same time should be the desired objective but that is not how I read it. 

the afl will ALWAYS be governed by the filthy lucre

the men's competition has maintained strength despite a global pandemic and the women's competition has grown from it's base during the same time period

both are very, very healthy

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 8:21 AM, drdrake said:

The salary cap has been increased by $20,000 for standalone teams to $220,000 while AFL and AFL-aligned clubs have received just a $10,000 boost to $110,000. The caps also introduce the ability to pay $10,000 of a playing coach's salary outside the cap while indigenous coaches implement a $5,000 concession.

That salary cap figure doesn’t really allow for too many players which might be why Buntine is the only new player of any major note on the books. 

The list size rules also remain pretty much identical to the 2021 rules with AFL affiliate clubs having a maximum of 30 players (15 development players, 15 primary listed players) while stand-alone clubs can have a total of 40 players on their lists (28 primary listed players, 12 development players).

The release of the fixture is not far off with the season kicking off on the weekend of 26/27 March. 

• Thanks 2

On 1/27/2022 at 6:55 PM, KC from Casey said:

I coached this young fellow in a couple of junior cricket flags at YCW back in the under 14's.  A decent medium pacer, gun slip fielder and a fantastic footballer even then.  Not at all surprised Casey are signing him.  For those who don't know YCW have long been a powerhouse in the MPNFL and for Roan to take the B&F in his first senior season (albeit abbreviated) is an outstanding effort.  He's a very clever player and uses the ball really well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, old dee said:

Well it’s mid February and still no draw announced for this season. Honestly the AFL and their lack of interesting in having a good reserves competition for the senior clubs is farcical. 

You might find they were waiting on the WA announcement today, I reckon the WA sides would have fielding reserve sides in the vfl if the birder didn't open in time

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 9:38 AM, old dee said:

It's not a case of being the social conscience of sport. The AFL has neglected women for far too long. I agree the VFL salary caps are ridiculously low, but at least you could argue that the players in the VFL are  not considered to be in the top 750 players in Australia (AFL Clubs 42 on each list x 18).

This is the  current position forthe AFLW:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-21/aflw-vision-aflpa-player-pay/100701404

Basically 90% of AFLW players are getting $20, 000 and for that are expected to travel, in some cases stay in hubs (West Coast, Fremantle), play off 4-day breaks to catch up on games cancelled due to COVID.... It is ridulous expecting these athletes to go through this while holding down full-time jobs. 

So for all you old (and not-so-old) blokes out there who have decided what members want without of course having any idea what members want, maybe you should consider what's actually happening right now. AFLW is hardly getting a leg up at the expense of any other part of the AFL system. 

• Like 4