Casey Demons 2022

KC from Casey

Paul Amy reporting that the Casey Demons are keen on recruiting ex-GWS Giant Matt Buntine who originally played with the Dandenong Stingrays.

Meanwhile, onballer Tom McCaffrey who had limited opportunities over the past two seasons, is being linked with Werribee.

Ruckman Andrew Courtney who also struggled to get game time with the club is off to the Northern Bullants.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Yes hope Dees look to continue the link with Marty Hore. Pies VFL probably looking to get him back in black and white. 

Hope 2022 year is better with opportunity for a full year. Some good youngsters showed potential - such as Ryan Sparkes, Corey Ellison and George Grey. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 12:50 PM, KC from Casey said:

Paul Amy reporting that the Casey Demons are keen on recruiting ex-GWS Giant Matt Buntine who originally played with the Dandenong Stingrays.

Meanwhile, onballer Tom McCaffrey who had limited opportunities over the past two seasons, is being linked with Werribee. Ruckman Andrew Courtney who also struggled to get game time with the club is off to the Northern Bullants.

Buntine now locked in and playing for the Casey Demons next year.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, KC from Casey said:

Buntine now locked in and playing for the Casey Demons next year.

Is the rest of the squad staying together? Has Hutchins retired? Hard to see both Hutchins and Buntine in the same side.

POSSIBLE CASEY LIST SIDE

B: J.SMITH, TURNER, BUNTINE

HB: HIBBERD, TOMLINSON, D.SMITH

C: BAKER, DUNSTAN, FOOT

HF: MELKSHAM, WHITE, GREY

F: BEDFORD, WEIDEMAN, CHANDLER

FOLL: DAW, MUNRO, LAURIE

IC: M.BROWN, ROSMAN, ELLISON, FREEMAN

• Love 1

KC.  You clearly know a lot more about the VFL than most here.  What are you thoughts on reverting to a locally based Victorian feeder competition rather that a mega unbalanced competition that travels all over the east coast?   How do the average listed VFL players with “real daytime jobs” eg tradies and the like respond to whole weekends away?  
My thoughts have been than an even numbered local competition would serve us all far better.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

KC.  You clearly know a lot more about the VFL than most here.  What are you thoughts on reverting to a locally based Victorian feeder competition rather that a mega unbalanced competition that travels all over the east coast?   How do the average listed VFL players with “real daytime jobs” eg tradies and the like respond to whole weekends away?  
My thoughts have been than an even numbered local competition would serve us all far better.  

I seriously doubt you will get an argument from anyone on that idea mono. But we are dealing with the AFL so don't hold your breath. 

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 4:41 PM, WERRIDEE said:

Is the rest of the squad staying together? Has Hutchins retired? Hard to see both Hutchins and Buntine in the same side.

POSSIBLE CASEY LIST SIDE

B: J.SMITH, TURNER, BUNTINE

HB: HIBBERD, TOMLINSON, D.SMITH

C: BAKER, DUNSTAN, FOOT

HF: MELKSHAM, WHITE, GREY

F: BEDFORD, WEIDEMAN, CHANDLER

FOLL: DAW, MUNRO, LAURIE

IC: M.BROWN, ROSMAN, ELLISON, FREEMAN

That is some team W.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:33 AM, monoccular said:

There weren't that many "weekends" away though due to the fixturing.

Assuming no covid interruptions Casey was scheduled to play only one game interstate. It was against the Gold Coast in Round 15.

It didn't seem much worse for the Melbourne based non aligned VFL clubs. Looking at Coburg they only played interstate twice

The fixture is so compromised with byes,  a late start, not all teams playing each other etc that it cannot be described as a competition.

With covid I wonder if the coaches will think that they were just as well served by "scratch matches". It would certainly be tempting as a cost saving initiative.

Some might even wonder if the VFL has been set up to fail.

Here's a link to what was supposed to be the 2021 fixture for anyone who wants to check out the "draw" for other teams

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/document/2021/04/14/8f398b5f-e986-4bbc-b6f5-4544b559756e/AM-7554-0221-VFL-Fixture_Full_FA-3-.pdf

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

There weren't that many "weekends" away though due to the fixturing.

Assuming no covid interruptions Casey was scheduled to play only one game interstate. It was against the Gold Coast in Round 15.

It didn't seem much worse for the Melbourne based non aligned VFL clubs. Looking at Coburg they only played interstate twice

The fixture is so compromised with byes,  a late start, not all teams playing each other etc that it cannot be described as a competition.

With covid I wonder if the coaches will think that they were just as well served by "scratch matches". It would certainly be tempting as a cost saving initiative.

Some might even wonder if the VFL has been set up to fail.

Here's a link to what was supposed to be the 2021 fixture for anyone who wants to check out the "draw" for other teams

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/document/2021/04/14/8f398b5f-e986-4bbc-b6f5-4544b559756e/AM-7554-0221-VFL-Fixture_Full_FA-3-.pdf

As mentioned before, an absolute dogs dinner. 
I hadn’t appreciated that there were an even number of clubs: why then multiple byes?

And 22 teams!  

Who dreamed this up?  Should be sacked. 

• Sad 1

On 11/2/2021 at 7:33 AM, monoccular said:

Absolutely - we learned the lesson in 2021 that an east coast based competition involving the northern states doesn’t work, particularly in the middle of a pandemic. I think we could happily cope with the existing Victorian clubs plus Tasmania in preparation for a club from that state entering the AFL but that would be it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Demonland changed the title to Casey Demons in Season 2022 ...
  • Demonland changed the title to Casey Demons in Season 2022

Thanks KC... your Casey/VFL news is much appreciated.

My take after a quick read of the article.

Looks like they are still including the non aligned clubs from Qld.

The two games extra should reduce the number of byes but it's still 4 weeks of the AFL season when there is no VFL match.

Nothing on the season commencement date which has consistently been aligned with Round 3 if not later.

The good news is that at least they didn't kill the comp but it's still on life support

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Thanks KC... your Casey/VFL news is much appreciated.

My take after a quick read of the article.

Looks like they are still including the non aligned clubs from Qld.

The two games extra should reduce the number of byes but it's still 4 weeks of the AFL season when there is no VFL match.

Nothing on the season commencement date which has consistently been aligned with Round 3 if not later.

The good news is that at least they didn't kill the comp but it's still on life support

Article refers to commencement on weekend of 26-27 March?

Hope it's a Casey home game!

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, KC from Casey said:

A lot of promises at this time of the year.

Let's see how they pan out by the time the season starts.

More money, more matches, more opportunity: VFL changes for 2022

I see Zac Foote has left Casey for QLD?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I see Zac Foote has left Casey for QLD?

Pity that because he was a quality VFL player. I suppose the problem is that there is very little room or money for such a player in the VFL, especially once the realization sets in that he isn’t going to get drafted. Very few get a second chance.

• Sad 1

On 11/3/2021 at 9:28 PM, monoccular said:

As mentioned before, an absolute dogs dinner. 
I hadn’t appreciated that there were an even number of clubs: why then multiple byes?

And 22 teams!  

Who dreamed this up?  Should be sacked. 

I expect the AFL will split the mega-VFL into two conferences to see how that system works. If the AFL believes the AFL men's senior competition needs eventually to be split into two conferences, I think they'd like to see how the mechanics of it might work in a lower level competition first. (At least, that's what I would do.)

• Thinking 1

5 hours ago, Elwood 3184 said:

Pity that because he was a quality VFL player. I suppose the problem is that there is very little room or money for such a player in the VFL, especially once the realization sets in that he isn’t going to get drafted. Very few get a second chance.

Yes there’s a few $$$ splashing around in Qld AFL for young blokes. Not a bad move given Casey CANNOT GUARANTEE HIM ANY GAME TIME.  It’s frustrating for blokes and they seek games at Frankston etc that are not aligned or go interstate.  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 10:35 AM, dazzledavey36 said:

I see Zac Foote has left Casey for QLD

That’s really disappointing 

He was a quality young player. Showed good form in the limited Casey games in 2021.  Was hoping to see him in a full year. Very evasive type, nice skills and good goalkicker.  Probably thought he wasn’t guaranteed any game time at Casey.  

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Hutchins has retired from VFL and joined  Mansfield.

Cory Machaya has joined Cora Lynn in West Gippsland

Aaron VandenBerg has joined old Xavs

Plenty more player movements here: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/locked-in-100-of-the-best-recruits-set-to-light-up-local-footy-in-2022/news-story/fe2de9dc666d8ea2986d4e305c296128

• Thanks 1

Jay Lockhart - going to Southport 

Zac Foot - going to Southport

Corey Stockdale - to Norwood SANFL

Corey Machaya - local footy Cora Lynn 

Jack Hutchins - off to Mansfield 

Two of the better Stingrays in 2021 Clayton Gay and Bayleigh Welsh are off to West Adelaide SANFL

Seems many youngsters want the guaranteed game time rather than the limited or unlikely call ups to Casey 

Looks like it’s Matt Buntine plus the likely returning group of White, Munro, Grey, Sparkes, Freeman & Goonan. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Jay Lockhart - going to Southport 

Zac Foot - going to Southport

Corey Stockdale - to Norwood SANFL

Corey Machaya - local footy Cora Lynn 

Jack Hutchins - off to Mansfield 

Two of the better Stingrays in 2021 Clayton Gay and Bayleigh Welsh are off to West Adelaide SANFL

Seems many youngsters want the guaranteed game time rather than the limited or unlikely call ups to Casey 

Looks like it’s Matt Buntine plus the likely returning group of White, Munro, Grey, Sparkes, Freeman & Goonan. 

Don’t forget Corey Ellison.