Jump to content

Casey Demons 2022


KC from Casey

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, The Third Eye said:

Don’t forget Corey Ellison.

Sorry yes I actually meant Ellison rather than Goonan.  Ellison looked very handy in some games and had a day out when he kicked 6 as a midsized forward v Werribee. Then the shutdown happened.  Be good to see what he can do with hopefully a full season ahead. Still time ahead as he’s only 20.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/688735/more-money-more-matches-more-opportunity-vfl-rule-changes-for-2022
 

Lots of changes and opportunities.  Whilst reading about lots of departures out of Casey, the Casey Demons have showed that we have offered a pathway for guys - like the “big O” (lions), Lockhart and Fritsch - for young talent overlooked in draft to come through. Hoping to see Casey find some more talent this year.  

  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This week’s Cranbourne Leader has an article that covers player movements at the Casey Demons ahead of the forthcoming VFL season. Unfortunately, I don’t have the link to “VFL: String of local hopes training at Casey Demons, including MPNFL trio” which is under a paywall.

The article highlights a young hopeful who is about to sign with the club, Roan Steele 20 (pictured below) who won Frankston YCW’s best and fairest last year after kicking 24 goals from 12 matches in his first season of senior football.

According to Casey Demons coach Marc Corrigan, “… he’s got an elite tank. He’s a smart player, high footy IQ, and he’ll certainly be on our list.”

Key players retained are Mitch White, James Munro and Tom Freeman, as well as Jarryd Baker, Riley Baldi, Jack Bell, Corey Ellison, George Grey Matt Johnson, Luca Goonan, Harvey Neocleous, Aidan Quigley, Miles Shepherd and Josh Smith while the most notable pickup is former GWS defender and Dandenong Stingray Matt Buntine is Casey’s most notable recruit. The 28-year-old played 67 matches for the Giants after debuting in 2012.

’’He’ll be important, not just from a playing perspective but in terms of what he brings in experience and leadership,’’ Corrigan said.

Also training at the club are prospective newcomers Bryce Milford, Ryan Koo Kwet and Kobi George from the Dandenong Stingrays, big Billy Bundle from Gippsland Power, Xavier College pair Hayden Woodhouse and Tommy McRae, Langwarrin’s Zach Andrewartha, Rowville’s Tyler Edwards, Cranbourne pair Nick Russo and Jake Carosella and Pearcedale’s Luke Daniel.

Players to have moved on include former skipper Jack Hutchins, Zac Foot, Cory Stockdale, Jaxon Briggs, Nathan Heath, Lachie Modica, Tom McCaffrey, Mitch Lewis, Cory Machaya, Andrew Courtney, Jaxon Stuart, Nick Lowden and Ryan Sparkes.

56416095-57A2-4B43-AF3E-140510F1CC79.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright I understand that the Dees play the senior players ahead of the VFL players so White is the only certainty to play in a full strength team but this is my Casey team putting in all the regular Casey players.

 

B: Buntine, J.Smith, Freeman

HB: Hunt, Tomlinson, McVee

C: Howes, Munro, Baker

HF: Melksham, White, Grey

F: Bedford, Weideman, Ellison

FOLL: Daw, Dunstan, Jordon

IC: Laurie, Van Rooyen, Chandler, M.Brown

EMERG: Turner, D.Smith, Rosman

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, KC from Casey said:

This week’s Cranbourne Leader has an article that covers player movements at the Casey Demons ahead of the forthcoming VFL season. Unfortunately, I don’t have the link to “VFL: String of local hopes training at Casey Demons, including MPNFL trio” which is under a paywall.

The article highlights a young hopeful who is about to sign with the club, Roan Steele 20 (pictured below) who won Frankston YCW’s best and fairest last year after kicking 24 goals from 12 matches in his first season of senior football.

According to Casey Demons coach Marc Corrigan, “… he’s got an elite tank. He’s a smart player, high footy IQ, and he’ll certainly be on our list.”

Key players retained are Mitch White, James Munro and Tom Freeman, as well as Jarryd Baker, Riley Baldi, Jack Bell, Corey Ellison, George Grey Matt Johnson, Luca Goonan, Harvey Neocleous, Aidan Quigley, Miles Shepherd and Josh Smith while the most notable pickup is former GWS defender and Dandenong Stingray Matt Buntine is Casey’s most notable recruit. The 28-year-old played 67 matches for the Giants after debuting in 2012.

’’He’ll be important, not just from a playing perspective but in terms of what he brings in experience and leadership,’’ Corrigan said.

Also training at the club are prospective newcomers Bryce Milford, Ryan Koo Kwet and Kobi George from the Dandenong Stingrays, big Billy Bundle from Gippsland Power, Xavier College pair Hayden Woodhouse and Tommy McRae, Langwarrin’s Zach Andrewartha, Rowville’s Tyler Edwards, Cranbourne pair Nick Russo and Jake Carosella and Pearcedale’s Luke Daniel.

Players to have moved on include former skipper Jack Hutchins, Zac Foot, Cory Stockdale, Jaxon Briggs, Nathan Heath, Lachie Modica, Tom McCaffrey, Mitch Lewis, Cory Machaya, Andrew Courtney, Jaxon Stuart, Nick Lowden and Ryan Sparkes.

56416095-57A2-4B43-AF3E-140510F1CC79.jpeg

Thanks KC. Ryan Sparkes had a good year as a running wing/mid.  Disappointing to see him move on but probably looking for more game opportunities elsewhere.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 5:17 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/688735/more-money-more-matches-more-opportunity-vfl-rule-changes-for-2022
 

Lots of changes and opportunities.  Whilst reading about lots of departures out of Casey, the Casey Demons have showed that we have offered a pathway for guys - like the “big O” (lions), Lockhart and Fritsch - for young talent overlooked in draft to come through. Hoping to see Casey find some more talent this year.  

Local footy Div 1 and Premier comps have a higher salary cap than the VFL standalone clubs.  The format of this comp is terrible, get rid of the northern state teams.  A stand alone club has a cap of $220,000, big local footy clubs would spend more.

AFL should spend more time investing in this comp or bring in AFL Reserves, I reckon if you polled AFL members they would rather see AFL Reserves than AFLW.

  • Like 4
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 12/12/2021 at 9:20 AM, spirit of norm smith said:

Sorry yes I actually meant Ellison rather than Goonan.  Ellison looked very handy in some games and had a day out when he kicked 6 as a midsized forward v Werribee. Then the shutdown happened.  Be good to see what he can do with hopefully a full season ahead. Still time ahead as he’s only 20.  

I was there that day the only game of football I saw live last year.

He had a good game that day, sadly has had to wait months to show us if he is destined for greater glory. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, drdrake said:

Local footy Div 1 and Premier comps have a higher salary cap than the VFL standalone clubs.  The format of this comp is terrible, get rid of the northern state teams.  A stand alone club has a cap of $220,000, big local footy clubs would spend more.

AFL should spend more time investing in this comp or bring in AFL Reserves, I reckon if you polled AFL members they would rather see AFL Reserves than AFLW.

That’s hardly politically correct dr. and we know how correct the AFL wants to be seen. 

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, drdrake said:

Local footy Div 1 and Premier comps have a higher salary cap than the VFL standalone clubs.  The format of this comp is terrible, get rid of the northern state teams.  A stand alone club has a cap of $220,000, big local footy clubs would spend more.

Amazing if correct

Do they also have caps on coaching and support salaries

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Amazing if correct

Do they also have caps on coaching and support salaries

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

That’s hardly politically correct dr. and we know how correct the AFL wants to be seen. 

Not sure about VFL clubs soft cap, they certainly don't have the access to staff that the AFL listed players have.  When you look at the caps, the stand alone VFL clubs do an amazing job to be competitive, basically they have equative of 2-3(entry Level) AFL list players wage for their entire list.

I'm all for the push into Female sport, however this shouldn't be done at the detriment of your core participants.  The AFL can't do both, they can't afford to continue to grow female football and have AFL Reserves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It must be a tough gig recruiting players for teams like the Casey Demons. Players have to compete against AFL listed players for places in the team and if the Demons have another good year with injury, there might only be 6 to 8 places available on a weekly basis. Those who don’t make it need to go back to their local team and wouldn’t get much of a chance for continuity. It’s a pity the money ran out for the VFL reserves or development league. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting to see Kobi George training with Casey. Was, of course, a member of our Next Generation Academy along with Deakyn Smith. He is the son of David George who played for Dandenong in the VFA and was one of the smoothest movers on a football field you are ever likely to see. Turns 21 this year. I still hold out hope that he can make it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, drdrake said:

AFL should spend more time investing in this comp or bring in AFL Reserves, I reckon if you polled AFL members they would rather see AFL Reserves than AFLW.

as a member, no way - aflw is the top tier competition, afl reserves is important but clearly secondary to the expansion and promotion of the women's league

both should exist imo

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

as a member, no way - aflw is the top tier competition, afl reserves is important but clearly secondary to the expansion and promotion of the women's league

both should exist imo

It seems to me that as usual the AFL is doing the usual of trying to be the social conscience of sport. Without the men's competition being strong the deck of cards comes down. The men's competition needs to remain strong which means a good reserves competition is needed. Then the Women's competition not the other way round. Yes both at the same time should be the desired objective but that is not how I read it. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, old dee said:

It seems to me that as usual the AFL is doing the usual of trying to be the social conscience of sport. Without the men's competition being strong the deck of cards comes down. The men's competition needs to remain strong which means a good reserves competition is needed. Then the Women's competition not the other way round. Yes both at the same time should be the desired objective but that is not how I read it. 

the afl will ALWAYS be governed by the filthy lucre

the men's competition has maintained strength despite a global pandemic and the women's competition has grown from it's base during the same time period

both are very, very healthy

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 1/28/2022 at 8:21 AM, drdrake said:

Local footy Div 1 and Premier comps have a higher salary cap than the VFL standalone clubs.  The format of this comp is terrible, get rid of the northern state teams.  A stand alone club has a cap of $220,000, big local footy clubs would spend more.

AFL should spend more time investing in this comp or bring in AFL Reserves, I reckon if you polled AFL members they would rather see AFL Reserves than AFLW.

The salary cap has been increased by $20,000 for standalone teams to $220,000 while AFL and AFL-aligned clubs have received just a $10,000 boost to $110,000. The caps also introduce the ability to pay $10,000 of a playing coach's salary outside the cap while indigenous coaches implement a $5,000 concession.

That salary cap figure doesn’t really allow for too many players which might be why Buntine is the only new player of any major note on the books. 

The list size rules also remain pretty much identical to the 2021 rules with AFL affiliate clubs having a maximum of 30 players (15 development players, 15 primary listed players) while stand-alone clubs can have a total of 40 players on their lists (28 primary listed players, 12 development players).

The release of the fixture is not far off with the season kicking off on the weekend of 26/27 March. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2022 at 6:55 PM, KC from Casey said:

This week’s Cranbourne Leader has an article that covers player movements at the Casey Demons ahead of the forthcoming VFL season. Unfortunately, I don’t have the link to “VFL: String of local hopes training at Casey Demons, including MPNFL trio” which is under a paywall.

The article highlights a young hopeful who is about to sign with the club, Roan Steele 20 (pictured below) who won Frankston YCW’s best and fairest last year after kicking 24 goals from 12 matches in his first season of senior football.

According to Casey Demons coach Marc Corrigan, “… he’s got an elite tank. He’s a smart player, high footy IQ, and he’ll certainly be on our list.”

 

 

56416095-57A2-4B43-AF3E-140510F1CC79.jpeg

I coached this young fellow in a couple of junior cricket flags at YCW back in the under 14's.  A decent medium pacer, gun slip fielder and a fantastic footballer even then.  Not at all surprised Casey are signing him.  For those who don't know YCW have long been a powerhouse in the MPNFL and for Roan to take the B&F in his first senior season (albeit abbreviated) is an outstanding effort.  He's a very clever player and uses the ball really well.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, old dee said:

Well it’s mid February and still no draw announced for this season. Honestly the AFL and their lack of interesting in having a good reserves competition for the senior clubs is farcical. 

You might find they were waiting on the WA announcement today, I reckon the WA sides would have fielding reserve sides in the vfl if the birder didn't open in time

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2022 at 9:38 AM, old dee said:

It seems to me that as usual the AFL is doing the usual of trying to be the social conscience of sport. Without the men's competition being strong the deck of cards comes down. The men's competition needs to remain strong which means a good reserves competition is needed. Then the Women's competition not the other way round. Yes both at the same time should be the desired objective but that is not how I read it. 

It's not a case of being the social conscience of sport. The AFL has neglected women for far too long. I agree the VFL salary caps are ridiculously low, but at least you could argue that the players in the VFL are  not considered to be in the top 750 players in Australia (AFL Clubs 42 on each list x 18).

This is the  current position forthe AFLW:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-21/aflw-vision-aflpa-player-pay/100701404

Basically 90% of AFLW players are getting $20, 000 and for that are expected to travel, in some cases stay in hubs (West Coast, Fremantle), play off 4-day breaks to catch up on games cancelled due to COVID.... It is ridulous expecting these athletes to go through this while holding down full-time jobs. 

So for all you old (and not-so-old) blokes out there who have decided what members want without of course having any idea what members want, maybe you should consider what's actually happening right now. AFLW is hardly getting a leg up at the expense of any other part of the AFL system. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    Welcome to Demonland: Luker Kentfield

    With the Melbourne Football Club's first pick in the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Draft and pick number 11 overall the Demon's selected Western Australian key forward Luker Kentfield from Subiaco.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 73

    TRAINING: Tuesday 28th May 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin returned to the training track to bring you the following observations from Gosch's Paddock this morning. Beautiful morning for training. The dew has dried, out from AAMI, quiet chatting. Maysie does his heart symbol. 7 in rehab, Turner, Hore, Sestan, BBB, Petty, Spargo and Schache. All in runners. Melky weighted and change of angles work. Salem has his individual program. White cap (no contact), Howes, Woewodin and Sparrow

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    GALLANT by KC from Casey

    The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth.  The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 152

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 396

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...