Jack Viney not being loved enough?

joeboy

His return from injury was delayed, as was his return to condition, but when he finally got some ongoing run in the legs, his value was incredibly important.

What was most evident was that one of the coaches, probably Chocko, convinced him to buy into the team first ethos, and taking first options combined with his fierce attack on the ball, created an incredibly strong on ball presence with our other guns.

Similarly to Brayshaw, I think Viney bit the bullet and decided to embrace the new team ethos rather than look to merely build statistics.

Jack’s role and spirit were  invaluable.

• Like 39
  • Love 2

Just now, joeboy said:

His return from injury was delayed, as was his return to condition, but when he finally got some ongoing run in the legs, his value was incredibly important.

What was most evident was that one of the coaches, probably Chocko, convinced him to buy into the team first ethos, and taking first options combined with his fierce attack on the ball, created an incredibly strong on ball presence with our other guns.

Similarly to Brayshaw, I think Viney bit the bullet and decided to embrace the new team first rules rather than look to merely build statistics.

Just now, joeboy said:

Similarly to Brayshaw, I think Viney bit the bullet and decided to embrace the new team ethos rather than look to merely build statistics.

And similar to Brayshaw he had to change his game earlier in his career. Viney set the tone as someone who could adapt when he tempered his aggression under Roos. Brayshaw shown he could adapt changing his game in light of concussion issues. The evolution for both is one of sacrifice. Both players ultimately went that one step further and sacrificed their whole game for the betterment of the team. Just amazing teaching really, whoever got these guys to buy into this philosophy, and implement it, pretty special.

• Like 4

I have been a little critical of JV in that he had a very strong "see Ball Get Ball ............and keep ball" which restricted the flow of our game.

This year , particularly latterly he has been the in & under getting the ball out (ala Liberatore) whic has added enormously to us.

Plus CLarrie has changed in 12 months and is now " Elite"with his disposal & Super Elite with his general play.

• Like 2

Jack was taking on too many tackles, as were Trac and Oliver for a few weeks around the slump, but yeah he stripped it back and used his body to free up Trac and Clarrie, watch the game where you concentrate on the blocks and selfless running and you see Viney in lots, Tmac, Nibbler, Kozzie, Sparrow etc all are prominent.

• Like 4

He was great last night and if you look at most of the goals he was involved. His score assists must have been enormous.

Tap ons, handballs, kicks off the ground to advantage, blocks etc, he started a lot of those stoppage attacks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Axis do you think he didn't play team football before this year?

Looking back at the comment, it may have been ambiguous.

But no, he's a team first player. That's why he has always outperformed supporter expectations at the Best and Fairest, and it's why he has been such an influential player in a premiership winning side. 

• Like 2

Long time critic, but he's gone up in my estimates. I knew he'd be better in finals, but his ball use in the last 4 weeks has improved out of sight. Well done, Jack. A premiership player. Time to redo that team of the century soon. He's surpassed his old man. 😉

• Like 2

Jack is 100% made for finals footy. He was immense in the prelim and was very very good last night. Did I hear 12 clearances?

Also, of all the post game interviews, I teared up listening to Jack. While he’s not normally the best interviewee going around, he is the player who has the most history with the club and it hit home all of a sudden.

• Like 2

3rd qtr

In the clearance that Harmes ultimately won and passed to Fritsch for a goal it was Viney that smashed through that pack to create a pathway for Harmes. That was the catalyst for stemming the tide and strating our recovery. 

He does this stuff all the time that doesn't get noticed by people on this site enough. 

But the coaches and players know.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I would never ever doubt JV's committment to MFC or his efforts . He has grown up with this Club and his capacity to change his instinctive style has led to his enormous value in the finals. I will bet the coaches will use video of his 1% (which by the way do not register on stats sheets) for a long time.

Not every players can be a Trac or a Clarrie in their ability to handle the ball at such pace and stiill retain their balance. But part of it is the work that goes into creating the initial spce for them to accellerate out of.

But that late surge in the 3rd Q has to rank as one of the great finals moments universally & ever. !!!

I've always felt that he hasn't been at his best due to a lot of injuries.  Being named a leader at such a young age is never a good thing and he continued coming back to early, not at a 100% and it's impacting his game.  We are lucky we didn't "Trengove" him and ruin him.

This year he clearly tried to remove the quick bomb it long approach at all times and slowed down lowering his eyes.  Unfortunately it made him look silly a couple times when he kept getting pinged however it was clear what he was trying to do.

His form recently is back to his B & F year and I think a lot here have short memories forgetting how good he was at the earlier stage of his career.  What makes Jack look a bit more average is the fact that Clayton and Trac are just on a different level and are genuine stars where Jack is just a bloody good player.  Nothing more, nothing less.

His two massive hits on Macrae early set the tone (and god they were magic).  His selfless blocking for the other mids, in and under work and gut running spread were fantastic to watch.  Also, his pressure defensively is elite as he makes sure his tackles stick..... hard.

Congratulations Jack.

Couldn't be happier

• Like 2
  • Love 3

22 hours ago, dimmy said:

I have been a little critical of JV in that he had a very strong "see Ball Get Ball ............and keep ball" which restricted the flow of our game.

This year , particularly latterly he has been the in & under getting the ball out (ala Liberatore) whic has added enormously to us.

Plus CLarrie has changed in 12 months and is now " Elite"with his disposal & Super Elite with his general play.

His good

18 hours ago, A F said:

Long time critic, but he's gone up in my estimates. I knew he'd be better in finals, but his ball use in the last 4 weeks has improved out of sight. Well done, Jack. A premiership player. Time to redo that team of the century soon. He's surpassed his old man. 😉

You are one of the ones I said who would eat their words about jack, you wanted him traded

35 minutes ago, Demon trucker said:

His good

You are one of the ones I said who would eat their words about jack, you wanted him traded

Congratulations. At least this post makes a bit more sense than your last one.

• Haha 2

On 9/26/2021 at 10:16 AM, joeboy said:

Jack Viney: First option works!

And played a major role in helping win the game.

• Like 2