Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: GRAND FINAL vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

3 hours ago, loges said:

Does anyone on here need to fess up that they cracked it after the Bonts goal and stormed out only to check the score at 3/4 time and think WTF.

Didn’t ‘crack it’ and leave, but definitely thought we were done.

The proceeding 1.5 quarters (16.4 to 1.1) will probably be the best 45 minutes of my life. To go from being dominated to dominating 10-fold, talk about a swing in momentum.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Having watched he replay a few times I have noticed just how good Viney was.

He had an enormous game tackling, getting the hard ball to advantage for his teammates and creating space for his teammates with one in particular I remember which gave Harmes the opportunity to get the ball and hit Fritch lace out which atarted our comeback. 

Viney is Melbourne royalty and deserves all his success. I am really happy for him. 

Yep, Viney In everything in the third. Not only the reverential final minute. 
All quarter, crash, bash, thump forward, thump a Dog

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Didn’t ‘crack it’ and leave, but definitely thought we were done.

The proceeding 1.5 quarters (16.4 to 1.1) will probably be the best 45 minutes of my life. To go from being dominated to dominating 10-fold, talk about a swing in momentum.

Followed MFC since early 65, so kinda full journey. 
57 year wait.
Not only

1. have we won, still can’t quite reconcile

2. the way we won

3. the magnitude of the win  

• Like 4
  • Love 4

Its been a week since I've watched it so I gave it another run this arvo. I tell you what's an under rated act - Max Gawn breaking away from the celebrations after the final siren to shake Bontempelli's hand. He was well within his rights to get lost in the euphoria of the moment. Classy captain.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

22 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

All started with what they let Wawrick Capper get away with.
I didn't have a problem with Johaniesons other than the fact I was going into a dark tunnel at the time.
The AFL doesn't want to lose the spectacular mark.
They're not as regular as they once were due to the way the game is played so they let abit more go.
A big mark is advertising gold to the americans for eg.

As for Browns.
He's allowed to hold his ground, reckon the timing of the Bulldogs jump was bad for him.
And I've watched Hawkins get away with that week after week so ..... "YES BROWNY, C'MON DEMONS!!!! " 

I had no problem with Brown's mark either: nor did the two closest Bulldog defenders...

6 hours ago, loges said:

Does anyone on here need to fess up that they cracked it after the Bonts goal and stormed out only to check the score at 3/4 time and think WTF.

Cracked up more like it. I conceded that we weren’t likely to win at that stage. After the 2nd quarter me and my dad had to go in separate room. We didn’t even watch the half time show. When I walked into the room to call him that it was about to start, he had his head in his hands. My uncle stayed in the living room the whole time. After they got the first goal, I was devastated. After that, every time they kicked towards their goal, I buried my face into my cushion. I couldn’t watch. Then when we got the Fritch goal I was still worried. It was when he got the next one I knew we were back in it.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Right now I’m paused at 3-qtr time. I realised I hadn’t watched with the 3AW commentary so just had to do it. It’s for the greater good. Whatever that means. 😆

• Like 3

6 hours ago, loges said:

I felt sick. Like, physically sick. Stomach churning...maybe all the distraction food I'd eaten during that looooong day.

It was dead silent in my living room. Couldn't think of anything comforting to say. Started on the five stages on grief in my mind, probably got to something like bargaining ("it's only a game", "getting to a grand final is an achievement" - all that stuff). Self preservation perfected from years of practice.

Off the back of that physical reaction though, the turn around to absolute elation was like nothing else. You all know it.

Even on the replay now I still get an echo of that nausea, so intense it was at the time. But now when Bont kicks that goal I just feel excitement: "Here we go!"

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Premiers said:

So 3 direct goal assists we can add to Kozzie's own GF goals.  The Gus goal and the Petracca 'soccer' goal were pivotal to us getting back into and control of the game.  We never looked back.   

On Weightman.  Anyone else think he should have gone off for a concussion test in the first qtr.  His head collided with the goal post at about a meter high then he cannoned head first into the ground.  He got up, looked quite ashen and for a kid who had just come back from concussion I couldn't understand why they kept him on (other than not wanting to be a player short early in the game when there is no tomorrow).

I really felt for the kid.  Never seemed go get into the game and his usual spark was completely absent.

I'm pretty sure I recall one of the commentaries (SEN perhaps?) mentioning Weightman going off for the test. Or at least that he SHOULD be going off for the test. Completely ignored on Channel 7, which was very strange because they'd try to make drama of anything, and this was a very legitimate point of interest or concern given it was a potential medical sub situation. I hope there's no lasting impact for the kid. Even if the medical team somehow missed the incident live, we know that they look through vision as the game happens so surely this would have been picked up?

• Like 2

I just wish someone could have told me that after that goal, they were only going to kick one more for the rest of the game. They were on a roll. We weren’t the only ones who thought so. I saw a comment in the bulldogs forum that said “That is the moment of our premiership dear Bulldogs.” Chilling. And if I’d read it at that point I’d have agreed with him 

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, loges said:

Nup, but had half time outside by myself - basically preparation time for a “how to handle a loss” 

third qtr I actually felt confident we were one lucky break away from turning the tide! 

• Like 1

When Bont kicked that goal I thought we were in trouble. 

However, it was when we went went forward after that and ( can't think of his name took a strong defensive mark) I thought we were [censored]. They looked like like winners at that point. 

So I had a nervous dart and gulped a shiraz.

Then we proceeded to crush them .................... what a glorious feeling ............ what ecstasy ...... what delirium.

I will never forget the joy of those final few minutes of the third quarter.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Premiers said:

Tomlinson will probably miss the first 6 rounds and then Hibberd is the most likely to make way.  But then again Bowey is still young and he may not be ready for a 22+ game season and might be rested at times.

AT did his knee on May 2. I always thought it was 10-11 months but sooner if things go well. He is back running so I imagine if it goes to plan he would be ready at worst end of March but hopefully round 1.

Interesting dilemma with Petty playing well in defence as to where he is played.....

1 minute ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

When Bont kicked that goal I thought we were in trouble. 

However, it was when we went went forward after that and ( can't think of his name took a strong defensive mark) I thought we were [censored]. They looked like like winners at that point. 

So I had a nervous dart and gulped a shiraz.

Then we proceeded to crush them .................... what a glorious feeling ............ what ecstasy ...... what delirium.

I will never forget the joy of those final few minutes of the third quarter.

That will be Keath who kicked it long to the wing where Naughton took another impressive contested mark. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

You know the AFL never came out & said if that Max gawn miss was a goal or not. I'm still convinced it was a goal

there is video from behind the goal  from a spectator that shows he kicked it. goal umpire was in wrong spot

• Like 5

On 10/16/2021 at 5:03 PM, Return to Glory said:

I was numb and probably disbelieving the night we won the Premiership. It's only some time down the track that the enormity of it has sunk in. I wonder, was anybody else slow to take it in?

It still hasn't fully sunk in for me. I don't think it will til we are back at the G.

• Love 2

11 minutes ago, Satan said:

there is video from behind the goal  from a spectator that shows he kicked it. goal umpire was in wrong spot

yeah that was good video, but it's hard to tell exactly when it passed the goal line as max kicked it well above the goal post.

i'd say it's inconclusive as it's possible it was directly above the goal post at the time it passed the goal line, which would make it a poster.

so to me it was either a virtual poster or a goal depending on exact time it passed the goal line which i couldn't be 100% certain of.....if that makes sense

• Like 1

9 hours ago, loges said:

guilty.

I'd just climbed out of the shower having decided I couldn't watch any more, when I heard my missus shouting after we got back to within 1 point.

I then had the joy of calling the Old man and brother, who I just knew would be in bed already. Good feeling to telling the family to "get out of bed, we're about to win the flag"

• Like 1
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He was in it from the start, that tackle on Macrae at the opening bounce set the scene.

Only commenting on the 3rd. Keep getting drawn to it …for some reason. Good to see all the little things

• Like 1

Just watched the repay again.  Noticed a new thing, in that Sparrow was actually kind of amazing.  Had at least three direct goal assists that I noted and he seems to love crashing into bodies.  The kid can play. 

Also, how good was the whole team effort in the second half?  No passengers.  I don't think I've ever seen the team play better than that half. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2