Toby Greene umpire contact

ding

14 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

Cannot possibly get off with umpire contact plus verbal abuse. Umpires are sacrosanct!!

So a fine then.

If the AFL are a fair dinkum comp, it's automatic suspension. Multiple weeks.

But it's well established they are corrupt and disinterested in the rules of the game they are custodian of, so play on, Toby.

6 minutes ago, Redleg said:

If Stevic says he was only lightly brushed and he wasn't concerned, it will be a fine.

What Stevic says is completely irrelevant. No contact with umps. It's not just the rules, it's the effect on the game at lower levels.

• Like 3

22.2 REPORTABLE OFFENCES 
22.2.2 Specific Offences
Any of the following types of conduct is a Reportable Offence:
(d) intentionally making contact with, or striking, an Umpire;
(e) attempting to strike an Umpire;
(f) spitting on or at an Umpire;
(g) behaving in an abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene manner towards or in relation to an Umpire;
(h) using abusive, insulting or obscene language towards or in relation to an Umpire;
(i) unreasonable or unnecessary contact with an Umpire;
(j) carelessly making contact with an Umpire;
(k) disputing a decision of an Umpire;

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

He's a protected species, but surely enough is enough.

How's 'the look' for the game if umpires can be approached like that. Should get weeks.

Protected species? The umps hate him and generally gets the tough end of the stick at the mro/tribunal

• Like 1

posted this in the games thread. More relevant here 

The rules around the umps are ridiculous in the AFL. we need to be getting closer to the mutual respect shown in soccer and rugby. Brushing past the ump and making contact or touching the ump should not even be considered for a suspension. Obviously anything aggressive needs to be stamped out but if we treat umps like protected species they will never get the respect they deserve 

it would be travesty if Greene misses against the Cats. But based on the past dumb decisions he will miss 3 plus games over a non incident 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 3

Must be suspended for a long term. Disrespect of umpires is the greatest blight on our game. GF umpires, the best in the country, get booed onto the ground.

That was blatant aggressive contact. Totally unacceptable.  Massive weeks.

• Like 12
  • Love 3

42 minutes ago, ding said:

Made contact with an umpire in a way that can only have been deliberate.

Bit rhetorical this question as we know "stars" rarely get cited in finals. If it was round 1 you can bet he would be done for that.

Thoughts?

If no suspension for that 'forceful' contact , then AFL just needs to cancel rule. Petulant act by Greene. He just seems to never learn on these sorts of issues.

I wish he was in the red blue all the same.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Great player but I don't completely buy into the 'everyboby's out to get Toby' BS. Should be suspended. 

I don't see this thread as a'pile on' on Toby.  There's been plenty of incidentals and theyv'e been treated correctly fine-wise.

This act just goes too far.   But I guess a preipheral vision expert will get him off somehow - a la Greg Willaims in the 90's was attempting to do. 

Toby was way worse than Williams who had an umpire in his face and personal space at the time.

Just seen the vision. He HAS to be suspended!  Walking towards, talking to and gesticulating to umpire before making contact, and the contact is deliberate, aggressive and intentional. 

So disappointing that a player of his talent is as poorly behaved as that. Kids look up to these players.  Do we want 6ft gronk U16 kids shirtfronting junior level umpires throughout the country?  FFS how much complaining is there about the quality of umpiring at AFL level on this site and elsewhere? Well guess what - let this behaviour go at the top level and you will see even fewer participants sticking with umpiring. Smaller talent pools erode the quality at the top level.  Sadly I fear a media dominated by ex players might see this downplayed. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Last time I recall a player making umpire contact in a disrespectful, deliberate and aggressive manner was a couple of decades ago when a Bulldogs player shoved an umpire out of the way at a bounty throw in. I think but not sure it was Brad Johnson who copped 4 weeks. Toby Greene should get the same.

Edited by John Crow Batty

Toby Greene had that look I haven't seen since Ben Cousins played. I can guess a common factor.

The ABC radio commentary team thought his season was over. I hope it is.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

Toby Greene is a great footballer. I have people I know and trust in his close circle of friends. Been told he he hobbled into a fight his mate was in and started smashing the other bloke with his crutches.

So, he's a pugilist who has a mate who gets into fights. I grew up with idiots like that in Lumpen Prol land. It defines everything that's wrong with people who keep getting into fights, or putting themselves into situations which precipitate violence. The AFL had to change a rule because of his proclivity to kick people while he was 'marking' the ball. Whether he is a good footballer or not is totally irrelevant: he's an [censored].

Edited by dieter
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

So a fine then.

If the AFL are a fair dinkum comp, it's automatic suspension. Multiple weeks.

But it's well established they are corrupt and disinterested in the rules of the game they are custodian of, so play on, Toby.

What Stevic says is completely irrelevant. No contact with umps. It's not just the rules, it's the effect on the game at lower levels.

What the umpire says is clearly relevant as he is the one who was bumped “allegedly “.

Watching the replay and listening to the discussion on Foxtel, there’s absolutely no way he should be suspended. He barely touched the umpire’s hand and the suspected shoulder bump was just a trick of the camera caused by a combination of foreshortening of the image with the umpire turning to continue the conversation as Green walked past him. Fine at worst for touching the umpire’s hand.

• Like 1