Joel Smith signs on for 2022

Wilson7

8 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

So when I read that, my thoughts were why haven’t we tried this guy on the wing or a run with, negating mid role to maximise his athletic skills.

If he could sort his disposal he could be handy on a wing.

As a run with you have to have a degree of footy smarts and he doesn't have that.

Good on him and the coaches obviously love him, but...
25 years old, 5th year on the list and I don't think he's ever played a particular great game in his senior career.

He's a big bodied utility so I can see why he's being kept on, but I'd be shocked if he's being payed any more than minimum.

14 hours ago, wizardinoz said:

Fence, if he is so good at playing forward why does he not line up there for Casey?

I know,its mystyfying but I still Hark back to a pre season game where he played Forward and kicked 3 or 4 goals in the ones... Go figure!!

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

10 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Interesting player Joel. We all agree he is an athlete first, footballer second. He seems a likely forward like his dad but he has struggled there. He has been turned into a key back playing for Casey and the odd game in the ones but with injuries has been on the fringe and many see him as a risky defender in the Frost mode. He is 190 cm, watching him at training I know he can run and cover territory, he has good hands at ground level and can take an high mark. Then Alan Richardson last year, talks about Joel having absolute elite endurance ability, second to none in the AFL. So when I read that, my thoughts were why haven’t we tried this guy on the wing or a run with, negating mid role to maximise his athletic skills. We know his disposal isn’t great but neither was Langdon’s when he came to us and he has worked hard to become competent in that area. And haven’t Geelong turned a guy like Blicavs, a former steeplechaser, a pure athlete, into an asset on the wing? Anyway just some thoughts on how to use this guy to maximise his talents now that he has been resigned for another year. 

Balanced comments.

14 hours ago, cantstandyasam said:

Hope they try him there too

Critical lot are we! Part of footy, I guess. I'd give Joel a forward line role - even a run on a wing for his endurance qualities that include penetrating the forward line regularly.

He has been injured, long-term, and this has been a great disadvantage. For me, he is a better forward than the Weed. The Coach is hesitant - he does not wish to raise the fact that he 'tolerated' the Weed for so long for very little apparent  advantage; possibly, Joel Smith is one of those alleged 'depth' players to be contained/handicapped by that fact. 

It is late in the season and a very critical time for the MFC. Perhaps, signing JS into 2022 as a rung in a 'depth' ladders is all that is intended but it would be opportunistic - early next season - for a clearer judgment on his aptitudes as a forward by a series of placements in the forward line.

Like Picket Fence, I too have strong interpretations (for some time, now) of JS' abilities in the forward line and have found his hiatus from the field due to injury and recovery completely frustrating in this regard. What do people expect? JS has not yet had the opportunities in the forward line to prepare, orientate nor experience some development of his capabilities outside of 'gap' filling for others who have enjoyed such priveledges.

IMO he is going to be a surprise package. 

'

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 2

I wonder if this means Hore will be gone.

I have high hopes for Turner, but probably not until 2023. So given our defensive system, it might be clever/safe list strategy to have May, Lever, Petty, Tomlinson, Smith, Hore and Turner to choose from.

Given the lack of under age footy both last year and this, the draft is fast becoming a chook lotto with respect to under age talent.

I can fully understand holding in to known depth that is ready to go if needed versus a kid you haven’t seen play anywhere near enough to take a punt on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Interesting that we re sign a 26 year old who is always injured and never plays, while our big hope as a key forward, who granted has had a disappointing season, remains unsigned.

Tells me that the coach already Knows that the Weid is gone elewhere and they are happy for that to happen

What would be an acceptable deal?

Something involving Maynard?

14 hours ago, binman said:

Smith will make it.

he hasnt done so in 6 years what makes u think year 7 will be any different? and who are u taking out of the 22 to put him in anyway.

imo a balanced list seems to be about 4 KPPs per end so May, Petty, Tomlinson, Turner you'd think would be plenty, 3 first team and one developing, same as the forward line Brown, TMac, Weid, MBrown and id suggest we draft a tall like mac to develop while we have a good selection to take mbrowns spot

• Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Turner said:

he hasnt done so in 6 years what makes u think year 7 will be any different? and who are u taking out of the 22 to put him in anyway.

imo a balanced list seems to be about 4 KPPs per end so May, Petty, Tomlinson, Turner you'd think would be plenty, 3 first team and one developing, same as the forward line Brown, TMac, Weid, MBrown and id suggest we draft a tall like mac to develop while we have a good selection to take mbrowns spot

Is Lever not in your permutations?

2 hours ago, Hardley Benial said:

Is Lever not in your permutations?

not really a key position player prefers a mid sized matchup where he can float off but all you're doing in strengthening my argument that we are so well stocked for 190+ defensive options, would honestly rather my guy marty hore in ahead of Smut

• Facepalm 1

Hope Smith is cheap.  Frequently injured and just showed enough of AFL standard on inconsistent basis. I think Turner with a pre season could be a better backup behind Lever imo.  I’d almost had Smith on the “likely to be delisted” or on for a 4th round trade to Kangas.  

I don't get this signing.  Havent seen him stick his hand up at VFL level to this point.  Also appears to be injury prone in a big way.  White is a better player in every aspect at VFL level for mine on his day (also has the occasional off game) and he's not on our list.

Could be a late bloomer but surely there's plenty of high end talented alternatives out there to fill his place?

Thinking about it, with a garbage draft hand I guess there are simply a few delistable / retiree players ahead of Smith for the chop.

Nate Jones, Nev Jetta, Possibly Hibbo or Oskar Baker?

I reckon he'd be gone if we had a full complement of picks.

8 hours ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

If this guy can stay injury-free, he'll be a permanent fixture in our best 22.

I really don't see how you can say that. I get that he has the body of Tarzan and has elite endurance. I just think he's a God awful footballer. Happy to be proven wrong.

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Facepalm 1

18 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

I really don't see how you can say that. I get that he has the body of Tarzan and has elite endurance. I just think he's a God awful footballer. Happy to be proven wrong.

I say it because the football department love him. He's a round 1 starter every season when he's not on the injury list.

God awful footballer? That's a ludicrous statement with no evidence to support.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2