POSTGAME: Rd 21 vs West Coast

Demonland

Just now, Clint Bizkit said:

I wasn’t worried about the “effort”, it was the ability to kill West Coast off through poor goal kicking.

We were than dangerous 30 points up which is exactly the kind of lead we tend to give up.

Petracca kicks that goal immediately after the re-start and the game could have taken a very different turn.

But you almost have to write off the last 15 minutes after the break. At the break we were 10.9.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, roy11 said:

I like how we’re complaining about the umpires yet absolutely got away with the Petty incident aha 

That was incredibly stupid and lucky by Petty.

The issue with the umpiring was they were really hot on paying every little free kick to West Cost (our players had to be smarter) but there was no way known we would get the same treatment in similar circumstances.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, No Plan B said:

Good [censored] on you Alex Neal Bullen. Best on Ground in your 100th game. You deserve this! 

Damn fine performance two weeks in a row. And ably support by Harmes. Great duo - both on-ball players set the tone against every umpire influence on the game. The umps tried every trick in the rulebook to get the Eagles over the line right across the game. They even knowingly mismanaged the 'lightning' concession; according to the rules screened directly to the world on 7Mate. And still, after the incorrect resumption of 'play'/desparate last hope - the tished bull kept flowing from the whistle. 

Gutsy win.

• Like 2

Take a Bowey Harmes, fantastic game and wonderful running goal in the third. On Ya Nibbler, congrats on the 100th and a brilliant at that.
Jackson well… what a piece of recruiting this was. 

Very proud of their effort, Eagles were going to come hard at some stage. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

For those who are a bit jaded by the last 15 minute output.

imagine you’re 6 goals up - 15 to go, you’ve cooled down - you’ve essentially sewn up top 4. And Burgess says, don’t go out and injure yourself, play it cool, play it safe…you’ve got another 5 matches to go for the season.

do you a) play it safe or b) ensure a greater likelihood of injury after cooling down and go really really hard?

True. And WCE players would be thinking they had nothing to lose. 

the commentators had oodles of time plus 30 extra minutes to get some info on Hunt and tell us. but nothing  Why?

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I wasn’t worried about the “effort”, it was the ability to kill West Coast off through poor goal kicking.

We were than dangerous 30 points up which is exactly the kind of lead we tend to give up.

To be fair I don’t know how the umpire could call play on before even blowing the whistle on that Spargo mark. He kicks that goal and it’s done. 

I am just glad we didn’t cop massive injuries in that last 15 minutes. Take the 4 points and bid farewell to WA, their booing halfwit fans, their [censored] premier, and their crap teams. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I hear you Clint, ideally we would have got one or two more. I guess it feels like evidence that we constantly give up those 5 goal leads… except all the times we don’t anymore.

• Love 1

Did everything to try to loose. Don't get me wrong, I've seen more wins this season than ever. And absolutely stoked.  But our coaching in the last 4 to 5 minutes to ice the game was poor. I worry about our coaching at times.  This was a side smack by the pies ( yeah I know they knocked us off too) but we're now on top. I hate having my heart in my mouth most games over the decades. Go Dee's

• Facepalm 1

Well done to AnB. BoG in his 100th game.

And credit to Harmes, was easily our best midfielder and one of his best games all year.

I don’t know if it was because of no Viney, but for those 3 and a half qtrs I thought our midfield purred and we dominated clearances.

• Like 2

For those having an aneurysm about the last part of the game, take solace in the fact we have not one but two full games to enjoy without any pressure whatsoever. We’re in the Top 4. It’s padlocked. Think the real hardcore fans on here have earned this. 

• Like 2

Great effort by the team under crazy, de-energising circumstances to secure the finals entry they deserve this season. Given the umpires had  their traditional 6 goal influence on the Weasels score line, that’s equivalent to a 7-8 goal win. Fabulous. To James Harmes and Alex Neal Bullen, Demonland might not know why you get selected every week, but your coaches do. 

• Like 9
  • Love 3

Geez….

Tell me you weren’t thinking ‘here we go’ after we got the lightning break.

What was reassuring was that we were mature when they came at us.

They played kamikaze footy and came back, but thankfully we saw the bigger picture. Slow it down, don’t try to outrun them, take the crowd out of it.

Plus the difference between 2018 is that we have May and Lever in the key back positions versus Frostball and OMac. 

That said, it would have been nicer to have not been in that position to start with. Live and learn.

Positives included Nibbler having the best game of his year, Choppers reducing his fumbles, BBB’s first quarter cameo and contesting throughout the night, Dogga starring and Clarry and Tracc doing their usual. 

Some issues were Fritta’s game (but every player will have one or two of those types of games in their careers), Maxy was great in the ruck but I’d like to see him do more around the ground, West Coast drop kicks constantly behaving idiotically, and us losing too many one on ones at the end when they turned the heat up.

We’re on top kiddies! Drink it in!

2 minutes ago, gregdemon said:

No it was not       2 minutes away from the worst defeat in living memory   bloody angry what they put us through the last 15 minutes .....west coast [censored] heads are not that good to be allowed to come back like that    I usually do not say anything about umpires but they were shocking   that one against May for contesting from the side   Royal commission needed as to why they are so bad at interstate venues against Vic sides    votes tonight  Umpires 3 brownlow votes.

You obviously weren't at the Last round against a Collingwood side when playing for a spot in the finals we got bent over against a 3rds side that had 15 players sent off for surgery. Thats the worst game I've been to with my Dad when leaving I've never been so angry. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

7 day qtine

Heart stopping 15 mins. 10 to 2 free kicks.  We went to water

Red eye flight back to Melbourne

No recovery session

6 day break

I'll take the result but mark my words we'll pay for this

Geez lighten up mate. We're top of the ladder with 2 games left, sewn up the double chance. Savour these moments.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Luke Jackson: take the Rising Star

When we took over the 3rd it was Jackson in the ruck and around the ball.
He's a rippa.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Demonland said:

OMG we are witnessing something special 

*what was it like Dad when you were top at round 21?
Dunno son, we were all too busy complaining about the umpires to enjoy it

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

7 minutes ago, gregdemon said:

No it was not       2 minutes away from the worst defeat in living memory   bloody angry what they put us through the last 15 minutes .....west coast [censored] heads are not that good to be allowed to come back like that    I usually do not say anything about umpires but they were shocking   that one against May for contesting from the side   Royal commission needed as to why they are so bad at interstate venues against Vic sides    votes tonight  Umpires 3 brownlow votes.

Go to bed mate! 

• Like 5