GAMEDAY: Rd 12 vs Brisbane

1 hour ago, DemonOX said:

Well for me personally today started horribly, my mum passed away. 

Let hope the Dees do the right that thing and win in her memory. 

Nice memory just Monday gone I told her that the Dees were on the top of the ladder and she said “what” the surprise on her face was priceless.  Even with her memory loss she still new who the Dees were.  Never mind she forgot who the hell I was  ha ha  

Go Dees. 

So sorry for your loss DO.

Puts things into perspective. As Tracc said on 360 the other night - it's just a game.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I think whoever wins the contested marks wins the game.  Two cracking sides going at it.  If we win the contested marks/ stop them taking them we get it done.

Edited by buck_nekkid
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, binman said:

So sorry for your loss DO.

Puts things into perspective. As Tracc said on 360 the other night - it's just a game.    

Thanks Binman. So true. 

• Like 1

Condolences mate.

Let’s hope the boys honour her in the best possible way.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

We just can't afford to be spanked by any team this year - let alone Brisbane.

If we're the 'real deal' we keep doing what we've been so good at so far and that's finding a way to simply beat any opposition (except Adelaide).

Even without Langdon I'm confident we can win tonight.

???

• Like 2

Nice memory just Monday gone I told her that the Dees were on the top of the ladder and she said “what” the surprise on her face was priceless.  Even with her memory loss she still new who the Dees were.  Never mind she forgot who the hell I was  ha ha  

Go Dees. 

Sorry to hear bro. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Channel 10 news reporting that there will barely be a crowd. Maybe a few hundred.

Could’ve just played the game at the G and claimed the home ground advantage.

Weirdly, if you go onto Ticketmaster and fictionally try to buy a ticket for tonight's game there are about 100 to 200 blue dot seats left.  The rest of the ground appears to have been sold.  I find that hard to believe and reckon Channel 10 will be on the money.

• Like 1

Go Dees. 

Sorry to hear of your loss D Ox

Hopefully the Dees can honor her memory this evening

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Channel 10 news reporting that there will barely be a crowd. Maybe a few hundred.

Could’ve just played the game at the G and claimed the home ground advantage.

Brisbane would not have got clearance to come to Victoria and then return to Brisbane so it’s a moot point. 

• Like 3

Woukd like to see big games from the follok wing tonight.

Jake Melksham

Hunt.

Sam W.....who may be playing for his spot tonight.

Hunt has been quiet in a few.

And it would be fantastic if Jake could recapture his 2018 form. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MccDee said:

Weirdly, if you go onto Ticketmaster and fictionally try to buy a ticket for tonight's game there are about 100 to 200 blue dot seats left.  The rest of the ground appears to have been sold.  I find that hard to believe and reckon Channel 10 will be on the money.

sounds like the old sell the one section trick that has become an AFL artform this year

• Like 2

Go Dees. 

Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family. Lovely story about the ladder, which I am sure is one of many treasured memories. RIP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Wishing Mitch Robinson and his fellow Brisbane B ?‘s a bruising encounter at Giant colosseum this evening. Thumbs down ?? Demons no mercy. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, binman said:

Indeed.

I punt on footy, but as rule not on the dees unless there is real value (Weed kick the bloody goal!). And there is a little bit of value in this game - though i predict it won't last.

Currently the lions are - just. 1.84 to us at 2.00.

But objectively we should be favorite for this game. Don't get me wrong they represent real challenge, but they are yet to win outside of Qld and sure, they have won 7 straight, so are clearly in form.

But we are 10-1 and at this point of the season the best side in the competition, having beaten three of the genuine flag contenders (four if you count the swans).  

We are the benchmark. They are the challengers.  

We travel well and this game doesn't represent a particular disruption. We were travelling anyway - and in some senses trip to Sydney is easier and less hassle than a trip to the Alice, particularly if there COVID restrictions in place. We play the ground well, having won there twice last year.

The dimensions really suit us too, at least in terms of the defensive structure, as whilst it is a touch longer than the G it is only 128m wide (the g is 138 wide) and so the lions will find it super hard to transition and get through our zone (just as the dogs dis and the equally narrow marvel). We will block the corridor again, so that option will be taken away.

They won't try and switch as much as the dogs as, one Langdon isn't playing, and two they are happy to go down the line and force a stoppage. However in doing so they will end up kicking to our talls a lot. Hopefully maxy can clunk his marks tonight. 

The other advantage we have - and it is one that we have over every other team atm - is that they will find it it much harder to negate our strength then we will theirs.

They play much differently to the bulldogs (more deliberate, less frenetic, more patient transition) but like the dogs their key strength is their ability to score from stoppages. But their focus is much more on winning around the ground stoppage clearances, as opposed to centre square clearances, and scoring from them. If we can match them in that area they will struggle to score.

And there is no reason we wont match them at around the ground stoppages. We have the best ruck in the AFL, whose strength is stoppages, and a gun midfield.  

And Harmes is back as everyone's favorite tagger. I expect he will go to Mcluggage. Or pehasp Zorko.

Putting Rich under pressure when he kick will also be important, so Hunt and rivers coming up the contest will help. 

I'm predicting the clearances numbers will be the opposite to the dogs games ie we lose centre square clearances and break even or win around the ground stoppages.

Their other obvious strength is their forward line - a fantastic balance of gun talls and mids. But we have tools to negate that set up that other teams don't.

One, we will make it hard for them to actually get in there.

Two, if on, we will apply enough pressure to make their inside 50 kicks messy.

And three we have the best defence in the AFL.

They will let Danaher push up the ground and May will have the strength to take Mcstay. Hibberd will do a job on Cameron and i reckon Petty has the athleticism to go with Hipgood. And Lever is in rare form so will be there to do what he does.

They of course will look to negate our strength - which might mean for instance running a defensive forward on Lever and/or Salem.

And they will do a better job than other teams of avoiding dump kicks into their forward line for us to intercept and bounce off half back. Even so, our post clearance pressure is the best in the AFL and we will win our share of ground balls inside their 50. 

But negating a defensive strength is less impactful than negating an offensive strength (even though we do score a bit from the back half). And running defensive forwards has a downside as it make is harder to score - as was the case for the Swans. 

For me the key to the game is how well we trap them in our forward half. And critical to that is forward half pressure and making sure any exit kick is under maximin pressure. Stopping Andrews taking intercept marks will also be important.

If we trap in our forward half them well, and the width of the ground will help, and match them at round the ground stoppages i think we win. 

For all those reasons i have tipped us tonight to win by 27 points. Because that show much we win by.  

And that is also why i think the odds are skeweiff. Neale's inclusion gave them a bounce but the pools are pretty small at this point. The big punters will step in soon and i suspect we will either start a narrow or equal favourite. As we should.

But all that is predicted on us bring our full heat. Because i have no doubt they will. And i expect them to be very physical, so it will be interesting to see how we respond.  And to be clear, i won't be at all surprised if they win. 

Should be cracking game. Can't wait.

Good thing i don't have to wait long. Just love these Friday night games!

Go Redlegs 

I really enjoy your analysis and you have really added to the terrific podcast!

Hoping you are spot on tonight, slightly concerned about Langdon missing and still waiting on either Weideman tonight or BBrown to click in the forward half, as neither have made our forward half better with their presence!

As always go Dees, am hoping they start same as last week against Dogs, happy to take any winning margin!!

• Like 2

Do it for Mrs Demonox senior You Dees   

My Mum died 6 weeks ago at the age of 100 , her last words were , and she was a Blues fan , but she asked my sister “ How did Melbourne do”? Sister said they won Mum , she then asked “ The Blues? 

My sister should have lied because Mum then passed away after hearing her answer!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 4

36 minutes ago, MccDee said:

I remember last season the AFL only made like 400 seats available to a game in Brisbane despite there being a maximum about 2000-4000 people allowed. I hope they haven’t made it reduced capacity to save a buck, if anything I would’ve thrown thousands of free tickets at local schools and universities to get people through the gate. 

• Like 2