• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

Brisbane has included their big gun Brownlow Medalist for the game after several weeks on the sidelines.  This might provide a big test for the Demons but it could backfire badly on the Lions. The next 20 or so hours will tell the story.

• Like 6
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for me personally today started horribly, my mum passed away.    Let hope the Dees do the right that thing and win in her memory.  Nice memory just Monday gone I told her that the Dee

I'm sure I speak for all Demonlanders when I pass on my condolences to you and your family.

If you're having a crack at the forward line you don't get it. We're scoring from 50% of our inside 50s, which is a better conversion rate than the Lions. This is on the midfield. We're

Posted Images

Went into last week thinking I'll be happy if we go 1-1 over the next two weeks. I always felt Brisbane were the bigger test. Just hoping for a cracking game tonight. Either team by under 2 goals. 

• Like 9

This season so far, Demons have given me two big surprises. One was vs Richmond and another was vs Bulldog last Friday. It's not because they won plus the margin, it's the way they played. . . I really don't know where is their best capabilities. I wish Brisbane would play as hard as they could and forced Demons to show their real hands.  

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Melbourne is the real deal.

Brisbane are proven as a good team over a few seasons. Tough, well coached, but can be off their game, though more in the early games of the year.

They play a straight forward game, of finding a corridor to goal by switching, breaking the lines or creating turnovers and scoring on the counter.

They are not a tempo team, they keep the pressure on for the four quarters and kind of wear the defence down.

We will make it difficult for their switching game, our behind the ball play is exceptional. Being competitive at the contest should reduce the easy outs, but we can't give them turnovers.

This is a team that will hurt us if we aren't clean with the ball.

Hoping we step up our skills to the next level.

It will be interesting to see how much Gawny is used to cover the Lions talls.

Cans Weids get some space and give a consistent performance?

Will Brisbane have an answer to the way we intercept?

Would love to see us move the ball extremely fast down the field, or at least use some angles to find a free corridor.

Our forward-line needs to be switched on as the Lions are a high scoring team, and it shouldn't be up to our defensive structure to keep the game in hand.

Another Friday game, sponsors will be happy as well as the footy public watching the top teams, going at each other, again.

Go Dees.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 13
  • Love 2

Man up on Lever, Rough up Gawn. It’s all been done unsuccessfully. Maybe the opposite just need to lower the eyes and stop kicking it to them. Brisbane need to take risks through the middle to win.

My main worry is how our team defence stands up without Langdon. Might just have to sacrifice some of the offensive running we got from him.

Should be a cracking game!

• Like 5

Shout out to all the DLers in Sydney who wouldn’t ordinarily have been attending tonight’s game. I’m happy for you guys. It’s easy for us Vics to forget how lucky we are as regards how often we get to watch our beloved Dees live. 
Enjoy the match!! And maybe give an extra loud cheer on our behalf. 
GO DEEEEES!!!

❤️💙

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
32 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I've noticed the lions have dropped the "barometer"

No need for a barometer  ........ they already know that we are going to ‘rain on their parade’.

• Haha 5

If the boys bring the same steely resolve and defend from the front then we should be in for a good night. It could be a crucial game in providing us the daylight we need to cement a top two place as Port Adelaide host Geelong next week in the other half of this split round. 

On a side note I thought the AFL were bringing the start time of Friday night games forward by half an hour ? Their website still shows a 7.50pm start. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

This should be a ripper. Lions made of sterner stuff and won’t fold as easily as the puppy dogs did last Friday.

Lions on a 7-game win streak but they haven’t been really tested. I have no doubt our boys will turn up to play so the Lions will need to bring their A game tonight. It’ll be tight. I can’t see us winning as comfortably as we did last week.

If we can split the clearance and midfield battle, our defensive structures hold and we kick straight then we’ll win.

In the context of Top 2 this is an 8 pointer. Beat the Lions tonight puts 3 games between them and us. That would make us odds on to secure home finals.

Dees by 10 points

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Mr Steve said:

Big test tonight

For Brisbane. 9 pt game for us!

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Shout out to all the DLers in Sydney who wouldn’t ordinarily have been attending tonight’s game. I’m happy for you guys. It’s easy for us Vics to forget how lucky we are as regards how often we get to watch our beloved Dees live. 
Enjoy the match!! And maybe give an extra loud cheer on our behalf. 
GO DEEEEES!!!

❤️💙

We will be cheering them on as loud as we can - sorry all those Melbourne based faithful are unable to attend 

ps: lovely sunny day atm but rain forecast tonight so might be wet weather football - I think that may be a slight benefit to us 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Not underestimating the Lions whatsoever as they're clearly in the best three sides in the comp and have an impressive 7 game winning streak.

However since their poor loss to the Dogs in round 4 in Ballarat, they've only left the state once and that was in round 6.

I'm hoping a match interstate will upset their momentum and routine and we can benefit from it.

They've played about 23 of their last 28 games in QLD.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Shocked 2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kev martin said:

Melbourne is the real deal.

Brisbane are proven as a good team over a few seasons. Tough, well coached, but can be off their game, though more in the early games of the year.

They play a straight forward game, of finding a corridor to goal by switching, breaking the lines or creating turnovers and scoring on the counter.

They are not a tempo team, they keep the pressure on for the four quarters and kind of wear the defence down.

We will make it difficult for their switching game, our behind the ball play is exceptional. Being competitive at the contest should reduce the easy outs, but we can't give them turnovers.

This is a team that will hurt us if we aren't clean with the ball.

Hoping we step up our skills to the next level.

It will be interesting to see how much Gawny is used to cover the Lions talls.

Cans Weids get some space and give a consistent performance?

Will Brisbane have an answer to the way we intercept?

Would love to see us move the ball extremely fast down the field, or at least use some angles to find a free corridor.

Our forward-line needs to be switched on as the Lions are a high scoring team, and it shouldn't be up to our defensive structure to keep the game in hand.

Another Friday game, sponsors will be happy as well as the footy public watching the top teams, going at each other, again.

Go Dees.

Very much agree with this, especially coming out of defence. I think it's nearly impossible to avoid Lever and May back there the way everyone roles up, the ground line of defense is a zone defence slowing those two to switch loose behind the ball as needed.

If I were Brisbane I'd be shutting down the distributor's. If the can keep the ball out of Salem, Rivers and even Melksham's hands and force Lever, Hibberd and Hunt to kick, especially under pressure, that's where we look vulnerable... IMHO

Edited by Josh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably our toughest assignment to date. Richmond and Dogs were big games but played on grounds we are comfortable and familiar with. This is a different ball game. 
I rate Brisbane as our equal. They are strong all over the field unlike the Dogs and can kick big scores. I’m not super confident and wouldn’t be surprised if we drop this one. 
Should we lose, we will be pretty much back in the pack for top 4. Saving grace is Geelong play Port in Adelaide (probably) next week. 

One thing is for sure, this should be a good game. 

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

This should be a ripper. Lions made of sterner stuff and won’t fold as easily as the puppy dogs did last Friday.

Lions on a 7-game win streak but they haven’t been really tested. I have no doubt our boys will turn up to play so the Lions will need to bring their A game tonight. It’ll be tight. I can’t see us winning as comfortably as we did last week.

If we can split the clearance and midfield battle, our defensive structures hold and we kick straight then we’ll win.

In the context of Top 2 this is an 8 pointer. Beat the Lions tonight puts 3 games between them and us. That would make us odds on to secure home finals.

Dees by 10 points

Of the Lions last 7 games, 6 have been played in Qld, with 5 at the Gabba. Interstate in front of a neutral or pro dees crowd.  will stand Dees in good stead after the win in an empty stadium last week. Lions may take some adjustment?

Craig Jennings opined on SEN yesterday when he deconstructed the Dees (his opinion only) was that given the ladderp osition, the coaching staff shouldn't worry about the game style if going badly and just leave adjustments minimal. Leave the counter punches up our sleeve for finals and absorb the lessons on structure for future use.  He stated that Goodwin always has a Plan B , or a what happens/what to do next if something unexpected occurs . Jennings counselled leave Plan B's in the draw for now and don't telegraph moves for later in the season.

Having said that, the 8 point game you mention above  is irresistable to achieve if at all possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Demonland changed the title to GAMEDAY: Rd 12 vs Brisbane

These are two evenly matched teams, and it should be a ripping contest, on neutral territory. 

Our confidence in our processes, structures and team mates should be sky high after last week's outstanding win, and if we can play the 'Melbourne' way for 100 minutes tonight,  I have every confidence that we will consolidate our position on top of the ladder.  Anything less than 100 minutes, and we might struggle. 

Dees by 2 or 3 goals. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Not underestimating the Lions whatsoever as they're clearly in the best three sides in the comp and have an impressive 7 game winning streak.

However since their poor loss to the Dogs in round 4 in Ballarat, they've only left the state once and that was in round 6.

I'm hoping a match interstate will upset their momentum and routine and we can benefit from it.

They've played about 23 of their last 28 games in QLD.

I question whether they have the steely resolve to win a premiership. 

If there was a golden opportunity to win the whole thing on a platter it was last year. And they blew it.

Put them on the MCG in front of a hostile Melbourne crowd  during finals and they'll turn to water. Their interstate record outside of the gabba hasn't been flash.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 5
Posted (edited)

Pretty excited for this one. Think it's a nice little stretch to test our character with 2 genuine contenders in 2 weeks.

I'm concerned about the structure Langdon provides and his positioning. It is incredible how often the ball seems to find him.

Trac is due to rip a game apart and with Clarry getting all the hype in recent weeks, he may just slip under the radar (relatively speaking)

Edited by BW511
  • Like 4

So much this week comes down to stoppages and clearances. We saw last week how important it was that we won centre clearances and limited the Dogs' ability to get clean possession from stoppages. The Lions score heavily from stoppages so we have to do the same. If Neale, Zorko, Lyons and McCluggage get on top, we'll be in trouble, but the converse is equally true for them.

• Like 4