CHANGES: Rd 07 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

2 hours ago, Pollyanna said:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/920748/vfl-round-2-report-casey-continues-winning-ways

"Round three sees the [Casey] Demons head to Marvel Stadium for a Thursday night feature game against North Melbourne."

Changes for MFC vs North should be telegraphed by who lines up in this match on Thursday night ...

no mention of Daw as best on ground... and he was by a fair margin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2021 at 11:02 PM, Nasher said:

Jones, Melksham and Spargo are our clear bottom 3 at present. I think a case can be made for any of those three to go - but only one of them. I’d pick Brown ahead of Weid.

I’d be really tempted to go no change though. The present mix is working. The risk of breaking it has to be a consideration.

Surely you jest Nash! He's not going anywhere other than on the team bus to Etihad.  

5 hours ago, Altona-demon said:

this might be a weird way to think about this question, but what would Richmond do if they were in the same situation?

Or what would the Hawks do? How does Melbourne, build depth, insurance, and put games into our younger players?

Some sensible hedging could be:

1. Sparrow in for Jones. 

2. Chandler and Bedford come in for Kozzie and Spargo.

3. TMac and Bayley Fritsch both rested for Ben Brown and Sam Weidemann.

Maybe, sometime ... but not more than one (or maybe two) unforced changes at once. 

i reckon it all depends on where this game is played.

if in Tassie and it's gonna be either windy/raining then no change.

if in Tassie and it's fine weather, or if it is switched to marvel, then i reckon they'll bring another tall forward into the 22 at the expense of Melksham. i dunno which forward though, either of Weideman or Brown would be stiff to miss out imo.

• Like 1

Fritsch out (rested so hand fully recovers) - Ben Brown in.

Let's get Bailey 100% right - after being at the game and watching the replay 4 times since, he is tentative with what he does with the broken hand (and rightfully so), so lets give him a rest and see how Benny goes.

• Like 4

Tempting to bring in B Brown but difficult to know who would come out. I think we have a good structure in there at the moment that is proving to be very difficult for the opposition. Do we need the distraction of Brown up against his old club? it may derail us a bit.

Do not think any of the team would want to be 'rested' at this stage as they can see how difficult it is to get into the gameday 22.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 9:53 AM, Lord Nev said:

Spargo got a mention from Goody in the post-match, I reckon they're happy with what he's doing atm. Seems to be playing the kind of role that isn't reflected well in stats and numbers.

Like nibbler, spargo is going nowhere. Both best 22 locks. All season.

Both are critical factors in our system. Critical.

On 360 last week goody was asked about improvement. He emphasised leadership - and when listing the leaders he included the usual suspects, max, Jack etc. And nibbler.

• Like 8

If the game is in Hobart, surely we play BB? He has dominated on that ground for years and knows how to play it. If it’s at Marvel, I wouldn’t play BB.

I’m a bit nervous if this goes ahead in Hobart. We’ve never beaten them there and it’s grounds like these (like in Cairns) that can sometimes cause us trouble. I know North are absolutely terrible, but they’re bound to get a win some time.

• Like 3

We must be hungry for success. Bring in some new blood, BBB and/or Weids. 

Part of that hunger includes putting struggling teams to the sword.

Hope there are moments in the game that looks like a training drill, so we can create some beautiful and smooth ball movement from back to the forward line. 

I expect North to give 100% for the entire game. We are now a target for teams to knock us of the pedestal. 

One game at a time, though the dogs (oops not dogs, but Sydney) in two weeks will be another good test for us. This game could set us up, or create a mental struggle for when we play them (Sydney probably less of a problem).

We will be training with a smile again.

North will be stressed from the lock up. They really are at rock bottom and being all locked up together may start a bit of a line in the sand discussion and develop some cohesion and selflessness. 

Beware the wounded beast!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, At the break of Gawn said:

If the game is in Hobart, surely we play BB? He has dominated on that ground for years and knows how to play it. If it’s at Marvel, I wouldn’t play BB.

I’m a bit nervous if this goes ahead in Hobart. We’ve never beaten them there and it’s grounds like these (like in Cairns) that can sometimes cause us trouble. I know North are absolutely terrible, but they’re bound to get a win some time.

Brown has 18 games at Bellerive which is second only to Marvel for games played in his career. So he’s definitely got familiarity on his side.

But he doesn’t dominate there.

35 goals at an average of 1.94 @ 61.4% accuracy compared to an average of 2.25 @ 68.1% at all other venues.

Jarrad Waite has a slightly better record based on averages there.

Marvel with 2.62 goals @ 70.3% is where he excels, so if he’s not in before the Bulldogs game in round 11 he must come in for that one if his VFL form holds, especially as the Dogs are undersized in the backline.

I just wonder whether we might give Kozzie a management week off, he copped a knock to the knee and a few other niggles throughout the match. Maybe give Bedford or Chandler a go in the small forward/pressure role. 

Fritta looked totally unaffected by his hand injury, same with May so no need to rest them. I’d be looking at giving Jackson more than 50% ruck time this week, really set him a challenge of being the no 1 ruckman on the day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pates said:

I just wonder whether we might give Kozzie a management week off, he copped a knock to the knee and a few other niggles throughout the match. Maybe give Bedford or Chandler a go in the small forward/pressure role. 

Fritta looked totally unaffected by his hand injury, same with May so no need to rest them. I’d be looking at giving Jackson more than 50% ruck time this week, really set him a challenge of being the no 1 ruckman on the day. 

Might be the right thing to do if he dies have some issues but geeps, I would miss watching him instinctively emmerge from a nest of players into clear space.

10 minutes ago, Jymothy said:

I find it difficult to believe that Melbourne didn’t give someone of Brown’s caliber a verbal or even contractual agreement that when fit and ready he is played in the seniors. 

Really?

No club would give any player such an assurance.

Let alone one who got shopped from a cellar dweller, has knees injuries and for whom we were seemingly the only serious suitor.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

In. Ben Brown

out. Jordon  

sub. Jordon 

Ridiculous did U watch The game ?

Or replay.

Does  things so Unobtrusively that you don't notice inc. handballs tackles and fits in with the mids as scpoibbof difference.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrMoose said:

Fritsch out (rested so hand fully recovers) - Ben Brown in.

Let's get Bailey 100% right - after being at the game and watching the replay 4 times since, he is tentative with what he does with the broken hand (and rightfully so), so lets give him a rest and see how Benny goes.

Not a subscriber to the get back on the horse principal.? 

Thats what is better  For Bayley who needs some tough  love not molly coddling.