Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 07 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

12 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

normally i'd agree but norf don't have a best defender, do they? lol

one good thing about playing him would be the opportunity to play him into form,  and to see how he fits structurally especially in a game we should win either way. only problem then is if it fizzes it's a bit hard to drop him after 1 game

so, i'd rather wait till he's banging down the door and there's an obvious replacement (for whatever reason....form, injury, etc) 

One thing Im sure we can agree on Daisy is that its an interesting dilemna and a good one at that.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

in 2 hours time it'll only be 72 hours until the teams are out!!!  ARRGHH!

the 360 boys actually brought this topic up last night and said the clubs are the ones that want this not the AFL. And they said it should go back immediately to Thursday teams being released.  It is part of the fabric of supporting footy, having the teams in the paper while you watch the game, actually being able to do footy-tips etc.  was good to hear

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DubDee said:

the 360 boys actually brought this topic up last night and said the clubs are the ones that want this not the AFL. And they said it should go back immediately to Thursday teams being released.  It is part of the fabric of supporting footy, having the teams in the paper while you watch the game, actually being able to do footy-tips etc.  was good to hear

So dub, you want teams before final training on Friday? Do you expect the truth or best guess? The truth can change and best guess is no help at all. Get over it.

17 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

can't see the logic

melksham is a link man, brown is stay at home leading key position forward

if you want brown it's fritta, tmac or jacko.......and can't see it happening

I didn’t really provide any reasons so I can understand that you couldn’t see them!

Brown is A grade when up and running. He has had 2.5 VFL games and played very well, including presenting up the ground. There is no chance of dropping Fritsch, Tmac or Jackson on current form. Fritsch is not a tall though and I think we have room for another. Now that Brown is ready it’s also time to test what could be our best forward setup.

Much like Jetta being dropped for Hibberd, whoever makes way for Brown will be unlucky but it will improve the team.

Melksham is easily our lightest contributor in recent weeks IMO. Spargo was also weak last week but has been better prior to that. Jones isn’t going to be dropped straight after his 300. Melk played fwd/mid. Only two score involvements (nibbler/Pickett 7, Spargo 1), 2 tackles/13 pressure acts (spargo 3/12, Pickett 5/21, Nibbler 4/26). We aren’t losing much. 

Nibbler, Pickett plus one of Melk or Spargo will provide the forward half pressure. TMac, Fritsch and Jackson are capable of pushing up towards the wing/high half forward. We can make room whilst maintaining excellent forward pressure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ManDee said:

So dub, you want teams before final training on Friday? Do you expect the truth or best guess? The truth can change and best guess is no help at all. Get over it.

For a Sunday game, the squad on thurs night and confirmed team friday night as per usual for decades. Not sure what you mean by truth/best guess, it was fairly rare for someone to be replaced in the 25/22 after they were released

how about you ignore my posts and let me have a rant.

Cheers

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DubDee said:

We’ll know the make up of the team by tonight as Casey play North VFL tomorrow night so we’ll see the squad. No doubt Goody will be asked in his presser tomorrow anyway if Brown or Weid are playing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, godees said:

I didn’t really provide any reasons so I can understand that you couldn’t see them!

Brown is A grade when up and running. He has had 2.5 VFL games and played very well, including presenting up the ground. There is no chance of dropping Fritsch, Tmac or Jackson on current form. Fritsch is not a tall though and I think we have room for another. Now that Brown is ready it’s also time to test what could be our best forward setup.

Much like Jetta being dropped for Hibberd, whoever makes way for Brown will be unlucky but it will improve the team.

Melksham is easily our lightest contributor in recent weeks IMO. Spargo was also weak last week but has been better prior to that. Jones isn’t going to be dropped straight after his 300. Melk played fwd/mid. Only two score involvements (nibbler/Pickett 7, Spargo 1), 2 tackles/13 pressure acts (spargo 3/12, Pickett 5/21, Nibbler 4/26). We aren’t losing much. 

Nibbler, Pickett plus one of Melk or Spargo will provide the forward half pressure. TMac, Fritsch and Jackson are capable of pushing up towards the wing/high half forward. We can make room whilst maintaining excellent forward pressure.

Yep, you've convinced me. Brown in.

A bonus of Brown in is that it really creates a match up problem. Every team has strong lock down bi down back. We have two in Tomlinson and May. The opposition have no alternative to send that player to brown as he will monster a smaller player.

Bu then they have to send a big, or at the very least a strong , defender to Tmac.  That pretty much wipes most teams in terms of big defenders. 

So who goes to Jackson. And what about when max goes forward and LJ goes to the ruck? The hawks had McEvoy follow Max, but who then rucks against an ever improving Jackson.

And then you have Fritsch, our leading goal kicker - a natural forward who is a brilliant mark for his size, not least because he uses his body so well in the marking contest. He demands an experienced and skilled medium defender. Anyhring less and he will get off the chain. I'd keep him close to goals for that reason (as opposed to pushing uo the ground). 

Complicating match up issues is TMac and Jackson already push well up the ground, get the bulk of their possessions around the wings and run up and won the ground all game. Brown plays much the same way. 

So their opponents have to have tank to go with them. If they do go with them it drags a big defender out of our forward line  and creates space for the other forwards.  If they stay deep TMac, Jackson and will take easy marks up the ground all game.

I agree Melksham is the obvious out. But i just can't see him being dropped. Who does get dropped is anyone's guess.

But it won't be Spargo or Nibbler. And I agree that it is unlikely they will drop Jones after his 300th - and his best game for the season. 

• Like 9

Melk: out

BBB: in

next week: Jones Out

Melk in

-----

Now this is all provided we don't have any injuries outside of this. But as noted above just like Hibb took Nevs spot, BBB will take Jones or Melk spot. Can't drop Jones off his 300th and his decent game. However, Melk makes the side better vs having Jones in it. 

Not sure where Harmes will fit in all of this soon.

I just want to see BBB in - he will cause headaches and we will look so damn strong up forward

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

For a Sunday game, the squad on thurs night and confirmed team friday night as per usual for decades. Not sure what you mean by truth/best guess, it was fairly rare for someone to be replaced in the 25/22 after they were released

Cheers

Equally you could ignore my posts and let me have a rant. I think you could guess the squad. 

1 minute ago, Grand New Flag said:

Disappointed to see Jones dumped. I think he has been very serviceable, provides leadership and inspiration to our team.

Out Melk & Jones

in BBB & ?

I agree. I assume Sparrow will be back in

• Like 1

I assume  Chandler as the unused Sub from last week plays VFL too.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Altona-demon said:

Wow surprised that the dropped Jonesy - very brutal move. very brutal. Sends a pretty clear message. 

Especially considering he was actually not bad last week, I thought he played his role (but of course not sure about his defensive work)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Jones potentially being rested given it's an easier game on paper or us? 

my guess would be Brown and Harmes if the club thinks he's a walk up start.

Good call. Nathan Jones'  body being what it is, it ain't gonna let him play 25 games this year, and he's damn well playing in the last one if we can get him up for it and he's still good enough (and we're there).

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DubDee said:

Cheers

Completely agree with ya. I miss the momentum the thursday night announcements created. Makes for good water-cooler conversation on the friday.

• Like 1

If C7 rumour is true and Jones and Melksham out then I would suggest its for Brown and a small likely Chandler or Bedford and now is the right time not wait until form wains or wedge it in when injury hits. Melksham has given little other than a few goals and involvements against the Hawks. Jones has been deservedly hanging on for 300 and whilst played his best of the season last week even that was at the low end of impact to others. We need to look to get Brown in and settled and counter balance this with more run and pressure (something Jones and Melksham add little to).

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Nasher said:

If it’s Jones and Melksham both out then it’s got to be Brown and Harmes in. I can’t see them dropping experience for Bedford or Chandler.

I can.

I can't see Harmes coming straight in. I reckon his pre season and round 1 form was pretty ordinary to be honest. I much rather reward a Bedford or Chandler.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1