• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

I think we have to give Jones his 300th. There's no guarantees in footy and it would be a travesty if Jones didn't get his 300th and then he ends up doing a hamstring during training or something. Jones will def play, even if his form doesn't deserve it. His missed shot at goal was potentially match losing. 

In: Weideman, Ben Brown
Out: T.Mcdonald, M.Brown

Tough calls need to be made. 

1 hour ago, one_demon said:

One of BBrown or Weideman have to come in.  We won't get away with that forward line against Richmond.

Brown is not ready yet he has played 6 quarters so far that is his whole work load since January. and Weideman hardly ever is. What's the rush?

1 minute ago, Dr.D said:

I think we have to give Jones his 300th. There's no guarantees in footy and it would be a travesty if Jones didn't get his 300th and then he ends up doing a hamstring during training or something. Jones will def play, even if his form doesn't deserve it. His missed shot at goal was potentially match losing. 

In: Weideman, Ben Brown
Out: T.Mcdonald, M.Brown

Tough calls need to be made. 

Thank God you are not a selector Tmac out, TMac was in the best three yesterday.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pollyanna said:

Jones must play and it's great that Goodwin has confirmed he will.  The coach said he has a very specific role and he's performing it - none of us here know what that is - but our 5-0 results speak for themselves.

I'd be fine with "no change" but I'd also be OK if one of Fritsch, BB or Weid came in for Mitch Brown.

I'd love to see May take on Dusty in the forward line but maybe we can save that for the PF.

Agree Polly, im of the school if it ain't broke don't fix it. Keep the winning formula.

Im ok with May and Fritta coming back in as long as they have passed fitness tests and are up to speed (played 4 previous games).

I think Petty and Brown (Stiff) will make way if this is the case, We need marking presents inside our forward 50 against Tiges and keep Balta, Grimes and Astbury Honest.

So im torn into bring in a Tall (Weed) for a small (Spargo, Jordon or A.N.B) as i think the smalls have been key to our pressure tackling inside 50, we need to rush the Tiges back 6.

Edited by Win4theAges
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, hardtack said:

If Jones plays his 300th game on the big stage, as well as Jones himself, it WILL lift the entire team, who I am certain will be 100% behind his taking the field. 

I'm not sure that milestone or emotional games do a whole lot for the psyche of the team. The Saints were very flat against us in round 2 even though it was Spuds game and there have been examples of teams playing poorly because of the extra "burden" the occasion creates. I hope its not the case for us next weekend.

Playing the Tiges should be motivation enough to perform.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, old dee said:

Thank God you are not a selector Tmac out, TMac was in the best three yesterday.

was he? He has named 6th best in the official match report and I think that's accurate. I was also at the game. So don't exaggerate it by saying top 3. He played well. But like I said, tough calls have to be made.

3 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

was he? He has named 6th best in the official match report and I think that's accurate. I was also at the game. So don't exaggerate it by saying top 3. He played well. But like I said, tough calls have to be made.

Ha..

Simon Goodwin was nothing but praise for McDonald in his post match conference. Tough calls is not dropping a bloke who had 22 disposals 10 marks and kicked 2.2.

He won't be dropped and Goodwin will agree with me on this one.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

I'm not sure that milestone or emotional games do a whole lot for the psyche of the team. The Saints were very flat against us in round 2 even though it was Spuds game and there have been examples of teams playing poorly because of the extra "burden" the occasion creates. I hope its not the case for us next weekend.

Playing the Tiges should be motivation enough to perform.

Geelong planned a huge celebration match for Corey Enright’s 300th in 2015 at our expense and lost in a boil over. Question is is where the players head space is at in such an important game. Has to be 100% on beating Richmond. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 3

Jones will obviously play, but if Bedford keeps up that type of form the quicker he's in (at Jones' expense) the better.  He would make us better than Jones presently does.

Edited by Hannibal Inc.
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

So you going to ditch the 6 best player on the ground for what?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Crow Batty said:

Lucky for us we have has a fantastic start to the season. If we had lost a couple then for sure he would have been dropped and it would have taken the whole season for him to scrape up the required games. I guess the logic is we can afford to carry him whilst we are running hot. If we win against the tigers it won’t matter if he has an ordinary game. He will be rightfully honoured. But the game has the potential to leave a bad taste if we lose and he has a shocker. I guess he will play limited time and no where near where he might be exposed. As with yourself I can’t fathom out what his role is other than to guard space. 
It will be interesting if Jones is put to pasture after his 300 and we make the GF. Will fans expect him to be recalled to play the GF though clearly nowhere near best 22? That will be a conundrum.

That a great question John Crow! There is an end and it has come Jonesy has all season to get 300 There is no reason to compromise

26 minutes ago, MF-C said:

People calling for Jones to be dropped is very funny. 

He was a standout under-performing player in the team last week. There would be no discussion of that nature this week, if that weren’t the case. 

4 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

He was a standout under-performing player in the team last week. There would be no discussion of that nature this week, if that weren’t the case. 

I think he comes out next week

Sad to say it because he's such a hero and we all love him but there are now players going pass him. 

Edited by MF-C

When Tom Mac leads up and marks on the wing and spins around, he has had nobody to kick to but an apprentice Luke Jackson and a mid sized Fritsch.

Imagine now Tom Mac marking up the ground spinning around and having two big forward targets to look for in Ben Brown and Sam Weideman, with Fritsch and LJ more freed up to cause mayhem.

All of them will fit in the team and if it clicks it could be unstoppable.

• Like 2

3 talls fwd is the maximum you can play imo, So far this year we have had tmac, Jackson and fritsch (not a tall but plays as a lead up marking fwd). For Brown and Wied to come in 2 need to go out long term, there is probably room for one on the wing if you really want to push it.

If we are playing a grand final and I had to pick our best side Tmac is the last picked from those 6 as harsh as that may be in some people eyes. Next out is Jackson however what he brings in freeing up Gawn almost has him select first.

For me Brown is full fwd with Jackson rotating between fwd and ruck, the 3rd tall is then between Wied and Fritsh. Maybe you could fit both but then Melksham  would have to make way and Fritsch would play slightly up the field. 

The 3 smalls in ANB, spargo and Pickett has worked so well I’d not be touching that other to you swap one small for another if form dictated.

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

And if Fritsch is ready...he'll be given another week off and take Jones' spot the following week.

If Fritsch is ready, he's absolutely in regardless of Mitch Brown, Ben Brown, Weideman or Jones' s 300th.

If Fritta gets up:

IN - Fritsch, Weid, May

Out - Petty, M Brown, Jordon (stiff), Sparrow.

In reality you'd omit Jones and keep Jordon but we all know that's not happening.

I wonder if Weid is a 100% lock? Ben Brown certainly won't play.

6 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

When Tom Mac leads up and marks on the wing and spins around, he has had nobody to kick to but an apprentice Luke Jackson and a mid sized Fritsch.

Imagine now Tom Mac marking up the ground spinning around and having two big forward targets to look for in Ben Brown and Sam Weideman, with Fritsch and LJ more freed up to cause mayhem.

All of them will fit in the team and if it clicks it could be unstoppable.

Who is creating the pressure and contesting the ground ball in such a fwd line, you would be lucky to get a single fwd 50 tackle between the lot of them. If they failed to mark the ball would exist just as quickly as it came in. A hallmark of our first month has been the pressure inside 50 all we have lacked is a more dangerous tall target than tmac and Jackson

• Like 1

Is it fair to say we will need manic/relentless defensive/2 way running and manic forward pressure vs the Tigers?

If so, who is best place to provide this?

Melksham? I only watched the 2nd half and didn't pay enough attention to him, except that crazy sideways kick inboard and 2 goals.