Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

Trade Targets


Flag Favourites 3019
 Share


Recommended Posts

On 11/11/2020 at 10:56 AM, Patches O’houlihan said:

Outside of massively overpaying in terms of a contract and pick for a half back flanker, Carlton are playing this quite well

Spoke too soon mate. Carlton just wasted everyone's time there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I thought the Dees really should have gone for Witherden from the Lions.  
Elite skills. Small defender.  That’s a gap for us.  Whilst some on here thought he was not gettable, ultimately the Eagles got him for a steal imv... Pick 58 and Future 3rd rd pick. I’d have give that up.  

when you see what phillips and witho went for you'd be spewin that u just gave hunt two years, and have ANB and AVB signed up

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Turner said:

when you see what phillips and witho went for you'd be spewin that u just gave hunt two years, and have ANB and AVB signed up

Well we know that Phillips is on very good coin, and with the Lions paying a huge chunk of Witherden’s salary at the Weagles, i’d say that we couldn’t afford them, particulary with TMAC’s wage.

Edited by Demon Disciple
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Well we know that Phillips is on very good coin, and with the Lions paying a huge chunk of Witherden’s salary at the Weagles, i’d say that we couldn’t afford them, particulary with TMAC’s wage.

u just said it yourself tho, the lions r paying a huge chunk so they coulda done the same for us. eyes on Cedric cox and narkle if they become delisted FA's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Turner said:

when you see what phillips and witho went for you'd be spewin that u just gave hunt two years, and have ANB and AVB signed up

Witherden crumbles under pressure. We have too many similar players already. Phillips would've been handy but I expect we couldn't move on Tommy and that ruled us out. If we wanted his contract to come down we would've had to pay up a decent pick.

Personally I like the longer term solution to our lack of run and skills by going to the draft. That's where you find guys who can run, kick and do it under pressure. Most of the guys up for trade are up for trade for a reason. 

3 minutes ago, Turner said:

u just said it yourself tho, the lions r paying a huge chunk so they coulda done the same for us. eyes on Cedric cox and narkle if they become delisted FA's

I'm not that keen on either of those players but delisted free agency is absolutely a market we should look closely at. They'll be value out there this year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The trade period this year was as much about positioning ourselves for next year's trade/draft periods as it was about looking to improve our list for next season. I think there is a strong belief internally at the club that we have the list to do well next year as long as we do not have injury problems and that we can get some incremental improvement into some of the players. 

I expect us to play finals next year and would not be surprised to give it a good nudge. 

Our trading and our attitude to players wanting to move on is a strong indicator to all in the competition that we are a good place to ply your trade and expect this to be reflected during the next trade period.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 3:21 PM, adonski said:

I think it is interesting to note that when we talk about our bottom 4 or 5 players on match day, almost all of them play in the forward line. ANB, AVB, Jones, Hannan, maybe even Melksham this year. 

We keep talking about mid/forward connection, but it must be difficult when all of your weakest players on the field every week essentially play the same position.

Good to see the MFC agree 

Brown, Laurie, Bowey transform the forward line. Couldn't have done much better from an attacking point of view. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, adonski said:

Good to see the MFC agree 

Brown, Laurie, Bowey transform the forward line. Couldn't have done much better from an attacking point of view. 

There's no doubt we needed half forward talent upgrades but these young guys are going to have about as much success as the Hannan and ANB's of the world if we don't fix the midfield. Our midfielders largely escape scrutiny if they rack up 25 touches but they're the ones butchering the ball. Laurie and Bowey need to get up in to the midfield too because they should help the skill level there.

We missed a chance to turnover the backline group a bit as well. Every year there's decent mature age defenders late in the draft. We didn't need top picks or big name trades, just a couple of handy young state league guys to improve the depth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was hoping to hear the first rumour of the year when I saw this thread was active

Does anyone have a list of RFA and FA in 2021?

Still reckon we’re short on outside run. Draftees may address this but if not then we may trade in. Josh Kelly is a free agent I think. A very good player if not quite the superstar he’s made out to be.

Could we finally land Kelly 7 years after we controversially traded the pick to GWS they used to select him?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Interesting tid bit from an article today on afl.com saying we were interested in Caldwell. I don't think I once heard us connected to him in the media which shows there's a lot going on in the background that never makes the news for whatever reason. I know a few of us on here were keen on the dees making a play for him.

"While the Giants lifted their offer to four years to keep Caldwell, the Bombers also had competition for him in Melbourne, with St Kilda also interested."

 

https://www.afl.com.au/news/549397/why-jye-chose-essendon-over-staying-a-giant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Interesting tid bit from an article today on afl.com saying we were interested in Caldwell. I don't think I once heard us connected to him in the media which shows there's a lot going on in the background that never makes the news for whatever reason. I know a few of us on here were keen on the dees making a play for him.

"While the Giants lifted their offer to four years to keep Caldwell, the Bombers also had competition for him in Melbourne, with St Kilda also interested."

 

https://www.afl.com.au/news/549397/why-jye-chose-essendon-over-staying-a-giant

in Melbourne as in the city not the club

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2020 at 3:21 PM, adonski said:

I think it is interesting to note that when we talk about our bottom 4 or 5 players on match day, almost all of them play in the forward line. ANB, AVB, Jones, Hannan, maybe even Melksham this year. 

We keep talking about mid/forward connection, but it must be difficult when all of your weakest players on the field every week essentially play the same position.

I have a different take, High half forward is possibly the most difficult position to play. You have to rely on a lot of things happening up the field, you run to make position - get ignored 20x a match , have to defend and finish off with goals.

A half back flanker can take the play on and be more creative. They get more freedom to move. Particularly as their opponents move up the ground...

So it looks like they are our weakest players but so much has to go right for a half forward to get 20 touches in a game, let alone week in week out....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I have a different take, High half forward is possibly the most difficult position to play. You have to rely on a lot of things happening up the field, you run to make position - get ignored 20x a match , have to defend and finish off with goals.

A half back flanker can take the play on and be more creative. They get more freedom to move. Particularly as their opponents move up the ground...

So it looks like they are our weakest players but so much has to go right for a half forward to get 20 touches in a game, let alone week in week out....

Fair points, but I'd suggest ANB, Jones & Vanders would be crap half back flankers, too!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I have a different take, High half forward is possibly the most difficult position to play. You have to rely on a lot of things happening up the field, you run to make position - get ignored 20x a match , have to defend and finish off with goals.

A half back flanker can take the play on and be more creative. They get more freedom to move. Particularly as their opponents move up the ground...

So it looks like they are our weakest players but so much has to go right for a half forward to get 20 touches in a game, let alone week in week out....

Yep I think if you surveyed any team, but especially bottom 10 teams, and asked for the worst players who regularly get games you'd get a list of half forward flankers. Especially team first defensive guys or those with inconsistent skills.

ANB and Spargo would've both been very highly regarded by fans in 2018 and then in 2019 they would've been at the top of the list for whipping boys. They didn't drastically lose ability. The effectiveness of the game plan and the midfield efficiency dropped away.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Yep I think if you surveyed any team, but especially bottom 10 teams, and asked for the worst players who regularly get games you'd get a list of half forward flankers. Especially team first defensive guys or those with inconsistent skills.

ANB and Spargo would've both been very highly regarded by fans in 2018 and then in 2019 they would've been at the top of the list for whipping boys. They didn't drastically lose ability. The effectiveness of the game plan and the midfield efficiency dropped away.

yep

a tiger nuffie i know constantly castigates castagna cos he misses shots at goal too often - doesn't see how vital he is in terms of their forward set-up

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, jnrmac said:

I have a different take, High half forward is possibly the most difficult position to play. You have to rely on a lot of things happening up the field, you run to make position - get ignored 20x a match , have to defend and finish off with goals.

A half back flanker can take the play on and be more creative. They get more freedom to move. Particularly as their opponents move up the ground...

So it looks like they are our weakest players but so much has to go right for a half forward to get 20 touches in a game, let alone week in week out....

One of the reasons I wanted to keep Hunt, who was played out  of position there, getting few possies, but as you acknowledge in a difficult position on the field, but scoring when he got the chance. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

One of the reasons I wanted to keep Hunt, who was played out  of position there, getting few possies, but as you acknowledge in a difficult position on the field, but scoring when he got the chance. 

There have been a few players who have been played out of position including Hunt, Brayshaw and Harmes are the ones off the top of my head that i can think of.

All their form dropped dramatically as a result yet didnt go back to their usual positions where they excelled.

I really am not sure what Goody was thinking. Its not working but lets just keep doing it.

I have serious doubts about Goodys coaching abilities and i am very glad we have Mark Williams in the background.

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2021 at 11:35 AM, DemonOX said:

There have been a few players who have been played out of position including Hunt, Brayshaw and Harmes are the ones off the top of my head that i can think of.

All their form dropped dramatically as a result yet didnt go back to their usual positions where they excelled.

I really am not sure what Goody was thinking. Its not working but lets just keep doing it.

I have serious doubts about Goodys coaching abilities and i am very glad we have Mark Williams in the background.

One selection, in playing Preuss with Max, in atrocious conditions in Cairns, really baffled me. Winning that game would have had us in the finals.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Redleg said:

One selection, in playing Preuss with Max, in atrocious conditions in Cairns, really baffled me. Winning that game would have had us in the finals.

I remember that question was asked last year at a AGM maybe? One of the fans asked why on earth did we select Pruess especially as the forcast had predicted heavy showers throughout the week. Alan Richardson was given the task of answering the question. When he finished answering I still had no idea why on earth they selected him that game. They tried to deflact with some [censored] excuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I remember that question was asked last year at a AGM maybe? One of the fans asked why on earth did we select Pruess especially as the forcast had predicted heavy showers throughout the week. Alan Richardson was given the task of answering the question. When he finished answering I still had no idea why on earth they selected him that game. They tried to deflact with some [censored] excuse.

It was asked at the fan forum night I believe online! And no real sense in reply !! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I remember that question was asked last year at a AGM maybe? One of the fans asked why on earth did we select Pruess especially as the forcast had predicted heavy showers throughout the week. Alan Richardson was given the task of answering the question. When he finished answering I still had no idea why on earth they selected him that game. They tried to deflact with some [censored] excuse.

AGM is on Monday  night DD !!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    FEE-FI-FO-FUM by George on the Outer

    “Fee-fi-fo-fum, without a Full Forward the Premiership can’t be won!” So said the GWS Giants, as they exposed Melbourne’s fatal deficiency with a nine point win at the MCG.  In past weeks Melbourne has been barely able to gloss over the lack of a serious target in front of goal, while others were able to contribute.  But in a near repeat of the game from the previous week, players running up the ground simply had no-one to kick the ball to, when all that was needed was that one tall target.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MUCH ADO ABOUT EVERYTHING by Whispering Jack

    Let's face it. We Melbourne supporters are a demanding lot. Here we are with our team on top of the ladder with a record of 12 wins and 2 losses, a decent percentage and a fair run home for a team with finals credentials. We have a fit list with lots of in form players, many of who are in contention for All Australian and other high honours, the team’s playing with purpose and cohesion and its VFL affiliate is undefeated and going gangbusters.  Still, we're all walking around with conc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HIATUS by KC from Casey

    After their five week Covid19 lockdown hiatus, the Casey Demons were fairly scratchy against Essendon VFL for the best part of 2½ quarters on Sunday afternoon but they finally settled down to motor away to a 48 point victory. With 20 AFL affiliated players on the team sheet, the Casey line up looked the strongest team ever put together since linking up with the Demons but the team struggled to score in the early going and managed its first goal to Aaron vandenBerg late in the first term.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles


×
×
  • Create New...