TEAM: Rd 02 vs Carlton

Demonland

Just now, AaronDaveyChipsAndGravey said:

No info as of yet to why or how this all happened. https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-melbourne-demons-covid19-coronavirus-rules-breach-regulations/news-story/ebf8297a06cb2fec9286bc542e3605df

Not sure if the coaches still view Lockhart as someone who could go up forward but wouldnt mind seeing him or Bedford come in

Yeah, gut says Bedford for sure, but wouldn't be against Lockhart, although there's unconfirmed reports he's missing the game due to a borderline injury/soreness. Can we choose from non-emergencies still?

4 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yeah, gut says Bedford for sure, but wouldn't be against Lockhart, although there's unconfirmed reports he's missing the game due to a borderline injury/soreness. Can we choose from non-emergencies still?

Bedford to replace Spargo as an emergency, then replace Kozzie in the senior side?

57 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Those who keep saying Lever is an intercept defender, need to remember that yes he was at Adelaide as a youngster and he did that role incredibly well in their GF year. But he is now a grown man and he can cope with a genuine big and he still will be able to peel off occasionally to assist others.

Good post with some good points. 

On Lever i have to somewhat disagree. Sure he should be physically equipped now to take a genuine big, though he is not that strong in the legs and through the hips like the best key big defenders and will lose his fair share of strength battles.

My issue with Lever is not his strength - it is that i reckon he simply poor one on one. When standing right with a direct opponent - the classic one on one wrestling situation - he often gets out read as opposed to out muscled.  The opposite is true of Fritter who often beats stronger players one on one because he reads the ball in flight better and is able to position his body to advantage. A natural. Probably a kid who played lots of kick to kick. 

I actually thought about Lever watching last nights game when Dusty out marked  howe. Howe was body on body but Dusty simply read it better rather then beating him with strength. Like Howe Lever is at his best when he get the chance to run at pack and time the leap to mark or spoil. 

In any case Lever will play as an intercept predominately and will rarely be left on one one with a big.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

we may lose the scratch match now....

We just limp from one issue to another...It is the raison d'etre for this club

Just like sucking lemons: it's good for you but there is that bitter taste.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

What happens to the FD if we lose this game?

Nothing. It’s still just round 2 and I suspect a lot of leniency will be given given the extraneous circumstances. I’m sure some justification will be given ala the shortened quarters being a good opportunity for youngster to debut etc etc. The proof will be in the pudding.

3 hours ago, The Chazz said:

A defensive unit is only as good as the pressure being put on up the field.  If we let opposition teams just waltz out of half back (our half forward), through the wings and deliver in to their forward 50 with pace and ease, it wouldn't matter who we have down back.

It's why, over the past 25 games, that we've made even some poor opposition defences look elite.

SNAP

The posters saying the defense is too small they compare quite well to the premiers

195cm - Astbury & Lever

193cm - Grimes & May

192cm Broad & Smith

• Like 2

The Age has been told that livewire small forward Kysaiah Pickett and Charlie Spargo were found to be in breach of regulations this week after visiting a friend.

If this is true, no excuse, absolutely stupid mistake and they deserve the week. ??‍♂️

Edited by Males

4 minutes ago, Males said:

If this is true, no excuse, absolutely stupid mistake and they deserve the week. ??‍♂️

Agreed. 
How [censored] hard is it to follow simple rules?! 
Two players pushing for selection, one very much on the outer, who have just cost themselves a week. No excuse. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, faultydet said:

The current problem with Weid is that he is NOT an aerial threat. That is one of the issues keeping him out of the team. On the limited occasions he finds himself contesting a mark, he double grabs and invariably spills it.

I had faith in him early on, but it's starting to fade.

Good to see ANB out of the side. Our kicking will improve immeasurably.

I agree that Weideman hasn't yet been able to really clunk his marks, but at least he has shown he has the timing to hit the ball at the top of his leap. Jackson wasn't able to get his the timing right in the preseason and overhead marking wasn't a strength of his as a junior. Petty has actually shown the most promise in this regard, but he is obviously injured. In an ideal world they all come good!

45 minutes ago, binman said:

Kozzie out for breaching Covid 19 regulations? You have got to be [censored] me.

I keep saying it, because you can play football does not make you a rocket scientist.

37 minutes ago, P-man said:

Edited by old dee

50 minutes ago, binman said:

Good post with some good points. 

On Lever i have to somewhat disagree. Sure he should be physically equipped now to take a genuine big, though he is not that strong in the legs and through the hips like the best key big defenders and will lose his fair share of strength battles.

My issue with Lever is not his strength - it is that i reckon he simply poor one on one. When standing right with a direct opponent - the classic one on one wrestling situation - he often gets out read as opposed to out muscled.  The opposite is true of Fritter who often beats stronger players one on one because he reads the ball in flight better and is able to position his body to advantage. A natural. Probably a kid who played lots of kick to kick. 

I actually thought about Lever watching last nights game when Dusty out marked  howe. Howe was body on body but Dusty simply read it better rather then beating him with strength. Like Howe Lever is at his best when he get the chance to run at pack and time the leap to mark or spoil. 

In any case Lever will play as an intercept predominately and will rarely be left on one one with a big.

I agree with both points of view. Lever is a big investment for an intecept marker of the ball. He really needs to step up as I feel reasonably comfortable in the knowlege Clarko may  get low cost Frosty playing that role ok at the Hawks for a while.

17 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Strong side I like it. Hunt was a bit of a surprise though. I thought he was finished maybe they want some heroics like the last time they played. Good to see them make a stand on Hibberd he's been ordinary for far too long, hopefully it's a wake up call for players like Jetta who was poor against West Coast. Lockhart very stiff to miss.

Team

B: JETTA, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, SMITH, RIVERS

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, TOMLINSON

HF: PICKETT, JACKSON, JONES

F: MELKSHAM, T.MCDONALD, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: HARMES(BACK), BRAYSHAW(MID), BENNELL(MID), HUNT(FORWARD)

Harmes should be in starting 18 before Riv

Brayshaw to start on HFF and Jones as midfield rotation 

Bennell will play forward 

1 hour ago, BigFez said:

I believe because it is the day prior to the match you can replace him with someone outside the emergencies.

Just had a quick look at the Rules and I think you are correct. Only a bit of conjecture over the circumstances ( illness, personal circumstances etc). It is mute regarding suspensions.  If we are able to bring a non-emergency in I think it is most likely to be ANB as it is as much forward pressure as goal kicking we miss with Kosssi going out.

• Like 1