Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Positive Trade Out (Non Regrettable)

Whilst there’s been the list of Regrettable Trades OUT, in a recent post, I was thinking of what players traded out have actually yielded a positive return.  

I can only recall the trade out of Troy Longmuir some 20 years ago.  Longmuir played for a few years and got about another 40 games across Freo and also Carlton.
We got pick 19 which was an early round 2 pick in 1999.  We picked Brad Green who went in to play for 13 years,  254 games, one B&F and captained the club.  

• Like 3

• Demonland changed the title to Positive Trade Out (Non Regrettable)

I thought the Ingerson trade was a steal back in the day. The player we lost was a draftee in Paul Rouvray who didn't play a game. the following best explains it.

Ingerson's trade in exchange for National Draft selection #27 was part of the complicated deal that sent Paul Salmon to Hawthorn and Darren Jarman to the Crows. Adelaide player - and former Melbourne draftee Paul Rouvray - was on his way to Sydney as part of the deal before deciding he wanted to play for the Demons. The Ingerson trade convinced Melbourne to pull out of the running for Rouvray, who went to the Swans and never played a game. Essendon believed they had an in-principle agreement with Adelaide to trade for Ingerson, but he thought he'd get more opportunity at Melbourne.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Whilst there’s been the list of Regrettable Trades OUT, in a recent post, I was thinking of what players traded out have actually yielded a positive return.  

I can only recall the trade out of Troy Longmuir some 20 years ago.  Longmuir played for a few years and got about another 40 games across Freo and also Carlton.
We got pick 19 which was an early round 2 pick in 1999.  We picked Brad Green who went in to play for 13 years,  254 games, one B&F and captained the club.  

Without any hesitation, what a beautiful outcome for the Dees; Brad was all class. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Trading Jordie Gysberts to North in exchange for Cam Pedersen was very much a win for us.

This was the one that I liked more than any other - Cam was all heart.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, demonstone said:

Trading Jordie Gysberts to North in exchange for Cam Pedersen was very much a win for us.

very much so. Pederson strarted slowly, his first match for us marred by the panic mark whilst ducking his head. then went onto become a handy forward and what I thought was a very handy running ruckman when Maxy went down.

• Like 2

Ones that didnt happen.

Melb wanted to trade Darren Kowell to Freo for a compensation pick, which at the time it was said they wanted to use on a young kid from Healsville named David Wirrapanda. Kowell refused to move and the trade never happened.

Melb had agreed on a trade with Haw of Ryan Fergerson for Brad Seweell in 2005. Fergerson refused the moved and wanted to stay at Melb. Sewell had only played 2 season at the time.

Edited by Grimes Times
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Grimes Times said:

Ones that didnt happen.

Melb wanted to trade Darren Kowell to Freo for a compensation pick, which at the time it was said they wanted to use on a young kid from Healsville named David Wirrapanda. Kowell refused to move and the trade never happened.

Melb had agreed on a trade with Haw of Ryan Fergerson for Brad Seweell in 2005. Fergerson refused the moved and wanted to stay at Melb. Sewell had only played 2 season at the time.

Yes both non trades were killers.  The Ferguson one made sense for both clubs at the time but he wanted to stay. Sewell would have been a gun pickup for us. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Jesse Hogan

Too soon to call this one. 
It’s Hogan out and May & Kolodjashnij in. 

I really hope that both Hogan and May can workout their injury and other issues and have a really good next few years.  Jesse is a good kid that needs support and a good run. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, demonstone said:

it's funny when you look at how it played out for the three major players in two trades over the course of three years

brock mclean - 63 games with the blues

gysberts - 19 games with the dees

gysberts - 0 games with the kangas

pedersen - 64 games with the dees

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Sam Blease.

5 hours ago, demonstone said:

Two names here that I thought were going to be stars for us for a long time.  Both of these players I was against trading at the time and when so I deep down hoped they'd go on to have decent careers somewhere else.... I don't recall either of them ever firing a shot.

Living in the bush I don't get to go to many games but I was at the G early on in Sam's career where he put on a clinic on the wing.  He would have had close to 30 touches and I'm pretty sure polled some Brownlow votes.  I was there the next year when he kicked a few against the Saints.... must have been his good luck charm.

Jordy also started positively I believe winning a lot of the pill early on in his career.  It seems both of these players got worse the longer they played for us.

I hated Cam after his first year, thought he was the biggest flop of all time... especially after he ducked his head early.  By the end of his time however I had a massive man crush on him.  The way he kept using his body as a battering ram and played with passion made him one of my favourites and was happy to see a bloke finally get all he could out of his body - although I think it took a few rockets for him to click.

I thought out best trade out was Watts.  I was personally sick of defending him and had heard stories that he was a little bit naughty away from the club.  Obviously a talented boy but I think everyone agrees he lacks the dedication to be great.  Very happy with your Fritter - when he plays forward!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deeko2 said:

Two names here that I thought were going to be stars for us for a long time.  Both of these players I was against trading at the time and when so I deep down hoped they'd go on to have decent careers somewhere else.... I don't recall either of them ever firing a shot.

Living in the bush I don't get to go to many games but I was at the G early on in Sam's career where he put on a clinic on the wing.  He would have had close to 30 touches and I'm pretty sure polled some Brownlow votes.  I was there the next year when he kicked a few against the Saints.... must have been his good luck charm.

Jordy also started positively I believe winning a lot of the pill early on in his career.  It seems both of these players got worse the longer they played for us.

I hated Cam after his first year, thought he was the biggest flop of all time... especially after he ducked his head early.  By the end of his time however I had a massive man crush on him.  The way he kept using his body as a battering ram and played with passion made him one of my favourites and was happy to see a bloke finally get all he could out of his body - although I think it took a few rockets for him to click.

I thought out best trade out was Watts.  I was personally sick of defending him and had heard stories that he was a little bit naughty away from the club.  Obviously a talented boy but I think everyone agrees he lacks the dedication to be great.  Very happy with your Fritter - when he plays forward!!

Agree with most of this.

At the start of 2010 I went to the club intra-match at Casey and saw Gysberts towelling up our established mids and even overshadowing Scully and Trengove.  Was in and under all day, extracting and playing well above his size and experience.  I thought we had a star on our hands when I left that day and 26 on debut against Geelong in Geelong and 27 the following week against Carlton (who played finals that year) cemented this belief.  2 rising star nominations over 2 years and a couple of Brownlow votes in a 30 possession performance against Essendon, he had the makings of an inspired draft choice.

Then... fell of the face of the earth after 2011.  Whether it was Bailey leaving, Neeld arriving, or just a lack of passion or will to play at the top level?  I don't know.  But the kid definitely had the talent to play.

• Like 1

Yes of course. Freo was very generous to us in the early days. They got Longmuir and Gilbert and we got Farmer and Green.  Winner 

Whilst not a player trade out, the pick 2 to Freo for Jeff White was handy.

(Freo ontraded pick 2 to the tigers for Chris Bond. What a Brain explosion?

Freo have a habit for ridiculous trades, kings of the brain fade as they are known in 94 traded the rights for Andrew Mcleod for Chris Groom, who had played 12 games in 2 years.

Who in there right mind would do such a trade, Mcleod who was highly regarded had just blitzed in the 94 season and won a SANFL flag with Port.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Deeko2 said:

Rockets to click.?

Or maybe Marriage,  and children,  and becoming a Dee,  entrenched in the team fabric.  being accepted.?  I am guessing, but in Cam's case,  I reckon it was likely something that added to his confidence, and completed him...  rather than some,  who need being lowered a peg or two,  before they wake up.? 

Or a combo of the above.    He never appeared to be a big head to my eyes.

2 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Then... fell of the face of the earth after 2011.  Whether it was Bailey leaving, Neeld arriving, or just a lack of passion or will to play at the top level?  I don't know.  But the kid definitely had the talent to play.

Based on his early successes, how do we know it wasn't a 3rd possibility.?

How do we know it wasn't other players leading him astray off-field.?

I heard watta was a strong influence on on some of our other players... I think I heard,?  was it Petracca,  was a buddy.? I'm not certain now.?  But I do recall hearing he was an influence on some, after dark.