• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training Ground?

Romey

2 hours ago, old dee said:

Collectively we spent years trying to achieve the impossible before it finally clicked that near the G is impossible. Now we are trying to get to Caulfield. That is a decade away if at all.  JC would struggle trying to find us a home.

All I’m hearing is excuses...

• Clap 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

casey not windy enough for you, bluey?

Nothing a good rub of Brylcream couldn’t fix.

Owned by the State Government, no horses to worry about, a couple of ovals would fit in with the coastal parklands, near a station, no housing nearby, near the Westgate.

Caulfield is dumb, really dumb, building a footy club in the middle of a racetrack, bordering on the insane.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, bluey said:

Nothing a good rub of Brylcream couldn’t fix.

Owned by the State Government, no horses to worry about, a couple of ovals would fit in with the coastal parklands, near a station, no housing nearby, near the Westgate.

Caulfield is dumb, really dumb, building a footy club in the middle of a racetrack, bordering on the insane.

out of curiosity, exactly where in willy is it?

has it got a new name? couldn't find it using 'racetrack'

• Like 1

I have a very novel suggestion for where the MFC should train.

The MCG , its our goddam ground and was for decades until the 'powers to be' evicted us.

If i were in government id have them sent back. No added wear and tear on the ground . Reserve games were played on it all the time in that era and the climate is drier. No mud heaps.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

29 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

if you mean south of koriot creek, that is altona

Council of Hobsons Bay, Williamstown race course, Phar Lap won the Underwood stakes there.

It was rumoured the Caulfield crew burnt down the grandstand to have the races moved to Caulfield, and the Government did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluey said:

Council of Hobsons Bay, Williamstown race course, Phar Lap won the Underwood stakes there.

It was rumoured the Caulfield crew burnt down the grandstand to have the races moved to Caulfield, and the Government did.

so i's now called "Altona Coastal Park" right next to the charming mobil refinery and terminal, and a long way from any railway station (though the railway tracks do run right beside it).

Racing at Williamstown ceased in 1948 when the course, like the M.C.G., was used to house troops. Racing was due to recommence after the war’s end, but fire destroyed the two grandstands, and racing at Williamstown ceased.

Today, nothing remains of the course, although some of the steps of the old grandstand, and a single lonely palm, one of many palms that once flourished in the course’s beautiful gardens, echo its past life. An artwork ‘Requiem For A Champion’ marks the Racecourse Road entry to what is now called Altona Coastal Park.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

so i's now called "Altona Coastal Park" right next to the charming mobil refinery and terminal, and a long way from any railway station (though the railway tracks do run right beside it).

Oil hasn’t been refined there since 2021.

This year is 2023.

There is a station, Mobiltown, 300 metres away and Seaholme 1 k away.

Wake up to yourself or Go follow the board blindly into Caulfield!.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, bluey said:

Oil hasn’t been refined there since 2021.

This year is 2023.

There is a station, Mobiltown, 300 metres away and Seaholme 1 k away.

Wake up to yourself or Go follow the board blindly into Caulfield!.

Mobiltown is a former station on the Altona railway line, which now forms part of the Werribee railway line in Melbourne, Australia. It was located immediately north of the Kororoit Creek Road level crossing in the suburb of Altona North. The station opened in 1953 as the Standard Oil Platform, next to the oil refinery operated by the Vacuum Oil Company, and was used by refinery workers. Shortly after the company changed its name to Mobil Australia in 1954, the station's name was altered to reflect that.[1] Mobiltown was made a public platform in 1958, and closed on 29 January 1985 because of low patronage. No trace of the platform remains and the rail overpass, which eliminated the Kororoit Creek Road level crossing in 2018, now overshadows the site of the station.

seaholme station to altona coastal park is 1.5km and a 20 min walk (google maps)

the mobil reinery is still there but not operating as a refinery but the storage terminal is still operational and incorporates some of the old refinery buildings. The refinery could be recommissioned in the future

Mobil will continue to operate a fuel import and storage terminal at the Altona site, primarily utilising tanks to the north of Kororoit Creek Road (former North Crude Tank Farm, between the railway line and Fink Street) and to the east of Millers Rd (former Blending area, corner of Millers Road and Kororoit Creek Road) as well as some required associated infrastructure on the former refinery processing site associated with the operation of the terminal.

The future of any former refinery infrastructure that is not required for future terminal operations will be subject to a future review. This may provide opportunities for repurposement, industrial and commercial sector use, aligned with planning policies, to support economic growth in the City of Hobsons Bay, as well as maintain the appropriate buffer areas required for the ongoing operation of the Mobil fuels terminal. Any potential changes to land use or ownership will be subject to the appropriate Council planning controls and public consultation where required under the existing planning policies.  

• Like 2

I don't know where where our home base will be, and I don't particularly care because I'll probably never go there. What would be good, though, is to have it somewhere where it is most accessible for the club's employees, including players. Given our employees and fans can come from all parts of Melbourne, having the home base somewhere near the geographic centre of Melbourne seems sensible to me. That makes the Caulfield racecourse site an obvious front runner, given Caulfield essentially neighbours Glen Iris which for a number of years has been officially designated as Melbourne's geographic centre. As an added bonus, it has train access and is not far from the Monash Freeway. And it's got lots of available land. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

8 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I don't know where where our home base will be, and I don't particularly care because I'll probably never go there. What would be good, though, is to have it somewhere where it is most accessible for the club's employees, including players. Given our employees and fans can come from all parts of Melbourne, having the home base somewhere near the geographic centre of Melbourne seems sensible to me. That makes the Caulfield racecourse site an obvious front runner, given Caulfield essentially neighbours Glen Iris which for a number of years has been officially designated as Melbourne's geographic centre. As an added bonus, it has train access and is not far from the Monash Freeway. And it's got lots of available land. 

The Caulfield option is certainly attractive from the $570 m proposal promoted by PWC in 2019 and scheduled to begin in 2023 with new track upgrades. The proposal is reported to also depend on sale of Sandown so there might be some further delay.

The MFC segment would be a smaller portion of the whole project so it could be an attractive financial investment if ownership was possible. If leasing then the investment would certainly need to be reduced nd my make it an attractive offer.

THe plan would also sit well in a greenfield site such as Fishermans Bend which has an existing residential plan with no recreational precinct included.

Caulfield certainly has existing rail and therefore good accessibility while FB is still a glimmer in the FB development boards eye 

I dont see a home base for a few years yet so better get used to Casey and Goshs which did give us a flag in 21.  Maybe we should ask the players where they would prefer and make sure they are on the journey with the members capacity o pay.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

7 hours ago, dpositive said:

The Caulfield option is certainly attractive from the $570 m proposal promoted by PWC in 2019 and scheduled to begin in 2023 with new track upgrades. The proposal is reported to also depend on sale of Sandown so there might be some further delay.

The MFC segment would be a smaller portion of the whole project so it could be an attractive financial investment if ownership was possible. If leasing then the investment would certainly need to be reduced nd my make it an attractive offer.

THe plan would also sit well in a greenfield site such as Fishermans Bend which has an existing residential plan with no recreational precinct included.

Caulfield certainly has existing rail and therefore good accessibility while FB is still a glimmer in the FB development boards eye 

I dont see a home base for a few years yet so better get used to Casey and Goshs which did give us a flag in 21.  Maybe we should ask the players where they would prefer and make sure they are on the journey with the members capacity o pay.

I like the optimism implied by your last sentence. It assumes the new base will be developed during the tenure of the current playing list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I like the optimism implied by your last sentence. It assumes the new base will be developed during the tenure of the current playing list. 

I laughed when I read that sentence.

Perhaps we should ask the current players what they think their grandchildren would prefer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Agree LDC, it simple won't happen in this groups tenure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I laughed when I read that sentence.

Perhaps we should ask the current players what they think their grandchildren would prefer?

Sadly you have probably nailed it DJ.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I'm sorry but since when would Williamstown or Altona be considered Melbourne heartland?????

Ive never advocated that any site is necessarily heartland, as we would need to define that.  Is it our fan heartland? our player heartland? our administrators heartland? our coaches heartland? our philosophical/idealogical heartland. WE might end up with the MCG our home ground. Perhaps not such a crazy idea, although I see that the restrictions and limitations of that site are formidable.

Seeking input from all stakeholders staff, players and fans may be lost in a generational transfer but 80,000 population could provide a new market and may even shift the population centre while the rapid developments at Werribee and kalkalo might shift the geographical centre.

I have stated that Fishermans Bend is aligned to the Port of Melbourne and as a greenfield site can be branded as MFC heartland. It is also a short distance from the existing Ron Barassi senior oval.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I'm sorry but since when would Williamstown or Altona be considered Melbourne heartland?????

the club have the addresses of all club members

it would be interesting seeing a geographical  heat map of this data

i wonder if the club already has

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

the club have the addresses of all club members

it would be interesting seeing a geographical  heat map of this data

i wonder if the club already has

i believe they have?

the sun, coming up 10 years ago, did this 'football heartland' thing: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/interactive-footy-fan-map-afl-clubs-membership-heartlands/news-story/4ceb4875ecacd1b3b04eade7b2dc620b

the graph no longer works but reddit indicates it's pretty much as expected:

1. Glen Iris
  2. Brighton
  3. Hawthorn
  4. Toorak
  5. Caulfield East
  6. Camberwell
  7. Richmond
  8. Malvern
  9. Kew
  10. Black Rock

the caulfield racecourse area works for me as, as a glen iris resident (yeah!! top of the table...now win a final), it's about a 7-10 min drive away, depending on lights

• Like 4