Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Good Lord George

Dees slapped with fine for breaching Drug Code

Recommended Posts

I'm sure the Chinese government could supply an app that would tell them where the players are, what the player is searching on their phone for and who they are talking too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm sure you are correct, but I also expect that the players would have an app on their phone for this very purpose. And if they don't, they should have (ie, ASADA should administer the obligation in this way).

I'm not sure I'm correct just guessing 😛

 

But i am sure that the issue was that the players didn't correctly update the app that ASADA ghve provided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’re all at my place.

None of us know what we’ve taken so reporting in is fairly difficult.

Needless to say I maintain a “ don’t ask - don’t tell”  policy at the lab.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 11:44 AM, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

The curious bit about this for me is how it happens. I would have thought the "Find My iPhone" feature (which I assume also works similarly for Android phones) just needs to be switched on and the club and ASADA would know where the players are at all times. If that's correct, does this mean players deliberately switch that feature off?

Or maybe I'm just ignorant about how phones work.

Yes comrade, I agree all AFL players must configure their iTunes accounts to be readily accessible by ASADA. Punishment for failing to meet these conditions will be 10 years hard labor in Gil's personal Gulag, which produces small textile goods for his army of foreign nannies who are not subject to commonwealth immigration laws.

Never mind how the bloody phones work, are you familiar with the concept of privacy!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Yes comrade, I agree all AFL players must configure their iTunes accounts to be readily accessible by ASADA. Punishment for failing to meet these conditions will be 10 years hard labor in Gil's personal Gulag, which produces small textile goods for his army of foreign nannies who are not subject to commonwealth immigration laws.

Never mind how the bloody phones work, are you familiar with the concept of privacy!? 

Not quite sure what privacy has to do with it. Players have impliedly consented to the ASADA requirements which includes the right for ASADA to know where they are at all times. The implied consent derives from the obligation to abide by the ASADA rules if they want to compete in the AFL system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Not quite sure what privacy has to do with it. Players have impliedly consented to the ASADA requirements which includes the right for ASADA to know where they are at all times. The implied consent derives from the obligation to abide by the ASADA rules if they want to compete in the AFL system. 

ASADA have nothing to do with the fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

ASADA have nothing to do with the fine.

 

My interest is not in the fine per se but the mechanics of how the failure happened given I can't imagine any player travelling anywhere in the world without taking their phone with them. It is possible, of course, that they may be in a remote location without phone/data access, which might require additional care by players to ensure their whereabouts are known to whoever needs to know for what I'll loosely call "ASADA purposes".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

My interest is not in the fine per se but the mechanics of how the failure happened given I can't imagine any player travelling anywhere in the world without taking their phone with them. It is possible, of course, that they may be in a remote location without phone/data access, which might require additional care by players to ensure their whereabouts are known to whoever needs to know for what I'll loosely call "ASADA purposes".  

Players have to give an incredibly detailed whereabouts schedule to ASADA every quarter. It includes a specific hour and location every single day that they must be at. It would be VERY easy to not be able to maintain the requirements that exist. From my understanding, it's not a "we don't know where they are" type of thing, it's more about providing that information for the quarter within the required time frame.

The AFL monitor (and possibly collect on behalf of ASADA) that information, and the AFL are the ones who impose fines, not ASADA.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...any comments the Club would/should like to make so we can all  get on with the business, and appoint a new Board, pay a million bucks and fly to Geneva for a holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Not quite sure what privacy has to do with it. Players have impliedly consented to the ASADA requirements which includes the right for ASADA to know where they are at all times. The implied consent derives from the obligation to abide by the ASADA rules if they want to compete in the AFL system. 

The notion of ASADA having access to personal metadata that can be used to track their whereabouts during the off season is nothing short of horrific.

No-one should EVER have to consent to this as a condition of employment. These kind of conditions aren't even forced upon the highest commonwealth security clearance holders in this country, why the hell should it be for young men who kick a leather ball around for a living?! 

 

Edited by Smokey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Smokey said:

The notion of ASADA having access to personal metadata that can be used to track their whereabouts during the off season is nothing short of horrific.

No-one should EVER have to consent to this as a condition of employment. These kind of conditions aren't even forced upon the highest commonwealth security clearance holders in this country, why the hell should it be for young men who kick a leather ball around for a living?! 

 

I agree that it is extreme, and should be unnecessary as a test should be able to find any variance which is performance enhancing and can be conducted within reasonable time frames I would have thought.

But I am not an expert in drug activities and would rely on WADA who have probably seen all examples of avoidance and use.

These "young men who kick a leather ball around" are richly rewarded for that action (probably more than most "commonwealth security clearance holders") and so have to suffer some extreme privations.

But in reality these things are probably bought in to satisfy the gambling industry who want to eliminate any manipulation of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, Youngwilliam said:

I'm sure the Chinese government could supply an app that would tell them where the players are, what the player is searching on their phone for and who they are talking too.

The beautiful part is, the Chinese have already installed this app on a great many Aussie phones -- not just football players -- and free of charge! Talk about service!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dpositive said:

I agree that it is extreme, and should be unnecessary as a test should be able to find any variance which is performance enhancing and can be conducted within reasonable time frames I would have thought.

But I am not an expert in drug activities and would rely on WADA who have probably seen all examples of avoidance and use.

These "young men who kick a leather ball around" are richly rewarded for that action (probably more than most "commonwealth security clearance holders") and so have to suffer some extreme privations.

But in reality these things are probably bought in to satisfy the gambling industry who want to eliminate any manipulation of the game.

The amount of compensation you are given for your services should bear nothing on the level of invasive conditions you are subject to. The more you earn, the less you should be entitled to privacy and liberty?

Lets apply the scenario slightly differently - who here agrees all kids should be tracked using metadata to ensure they are attending school everyday? Should your boss be allowed access to your metadata to determine how long you took for your lunch break? Where and how can you draw the line on this. 

Good grief this country needs a bill of rights desperately. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

The beautiful part is, the Chinese have already installed this app on a great many Aussie phones -- not just football players -- and free of charge! Talk about service!

Thanks for the info.

I doubt they can hear us anyway.

We’ve got Syd Barrett tunes blaring out on repeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

The beautiful part is, the Chinese have already installed this app on a great many Aussie phones -- not just football players -- and free of charge! Talk about service!

Sun Yang, the poster boy of Chinese swimming is having his day in the Swiss courts starting this evening. Good article here from the ABC.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-15/why-sun-yang-case-watershed-moment-for-sport/11699528

It's being live streamed and is the first publicly heard case in 20 years apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Smokey said:

The amount of compensation you are given for your services should bear nothing on the level of invasive conditions you are subject to. The more you earn, the less you should be entitled to privacy and liberty?

Lets apply the scenario slightly differently - who here agrees all kids should be tracked using metadata to ensure they are attending school everyday? Should your boss be allowed access to your metadata to determine how long you took for your lunch break? Where and how can you draw the line on this. 

Good grief this country needs a bill of rights desperately. 

I'm not sure how a Bill of Rights would help in this situation as the players have provided their consent. If they don't like those conditions, they don't have to be professional sports people.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm not sure how a Bill of Rights would help in this situation as the players have provided their consent. If they don't like those conditions, they don't have to be professional sports people.   

not to mention their union signed off on it too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

not to mention their union signed off on it too

and not to mention that the USA has a Bill of Rights and I imagine their professional sports players follow a similar regimen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

and not to mention that the USA has a Bill of Rights and I imagine their professional sports players follow a similar regimen.

They don't actually. Or at least i 'm pretty sure they don't.

I stand to be corrected but i don't think any of NFL, NHL, NBA, MBL or Golf are signed up to the WADA code.

In fact most of those sports have incredibly lax regimes and penalties, baseball being a classic example.

In golf i have feeling they only recently started testing players for performance enhancing and recreational drugs (long been rumors about heavy coke use on tour)

Edited by binman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, binman said:

They don't actually. Or at least i 'm pretty sure they don't.

I stand to be corrected but i don't think any of NFL, NHL, NBA, MBL or Golf are signed up to the WADA code.

In fact most of those sports have incredibly lax regimes and penalties, baseball being a classic example.

In golf i have feeling they only recently started testing players for performance enhancing and recreational drugs (long been rumors about heavy coke use on tour)

yes, but US Olympic sports (cycling, swimming, etc etc) have signed up to wada, so LDVC's comment re bill of rights is still valid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

yes, but US Olympic sports (cycling, swimming, etc etc) have signed up to wada, so LDVC's comment re bill of rights is still valid

Yes, i guess so. I thought he meant professional sports

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, binman said:

Yes, i guess so. I thought he meant professional sports

Olympic sports aren't Professional binman?

i think you will find they are professional in every sense of the word.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 2:51 PM, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm not sure how a Bill of Rights would help in this situation as the players have provided their consent. If they don't like those conditions, they don't have to be professional sports people.   

A bill of rights has the capacity to make this particular scenario illegal, and therefore players wouldn't need to consent to it. That's how. 

Anyone who actually thinks it's OK to force people into being physically tracked at all times as a condition of employment should head over to China so you can live with like-minded people. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...