Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Will you renew your membership in 2020?

Ethan Tremblay

POLL  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm an AFL Gold Member so there is no way I am relinquishing that but my mum isn't renewing hers from what she's told me.

7 hours ago, Demons11 said:

A bad season and you jump off, what a fickle bunch we are. 

Stay strong, the sun will come up tomorrow and the pre-season training reports will get you excited again. 

Yeah, 12 bad seasons in 13 ain't that bad!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Gossip and rumour of course, but yes the things I've heard paint a very poor picture from the board down.

There is division in the board, there is a 'click' group of Mahoney, Goodwin and Viney (Snr), there is a split between the co-captains, there is unrest with one co-captain in particular among the playing group, a president who has the biggest ego out of all of them and there is a growing disconnect with former greats of the club, both players and others, who have been basically shunned from the club.

Some of those things can be improved by winning games, simple as that, but we are very very much on a knife edge right now.

I've heard a few things that have actually filtered through connections at other clubs, so not directly via Melbourne, but I know of the captain you refer to, and I have been calling for us to trade him for years. It's now reached a point where he has no value, so we're basically stuck "servicing" him now. Granted, however, these issues have been present for a few years so maybe not necessarily a catalyst for this year's issues, or perhaps it reached critical point.

As for the other issues you have mentioned, all I've heard is of the "ego" of the president, but not really in the context of Melbourne. 

The wheels have well and truly fallen off though. We're back to Neeld rhetoric now with the "we don't know what's going wrong" or "we are working to change this". It's not turning around anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

Yes , but at times like this you feel a little bit cheated by those in control of the club.

• Thanks 1

So all in all there are 7 memberships in my family:

- Grandma has an armchair membership as she’s 101 and watches from her armchair. Was a Fitzroy/Brisbane member but when Roos came to Melbourne she switched because she love him. Will re-sign next year

- Dads sister is also and armchair as is in her 70s and still works full time by financial necessity. Will re-sign

- Dad passed away in January at 66 years of age ?. 9 game member. Will not re-sign

- My 3 kids all kids members of various types. Will re-sign so they get their kids stuff and because my wife’s side all follow dogs so don’t want the kids to drift over to the dark side

- I have a 9 game membership and will downgrade to 3 game as I work a lot on weekends, plus have kids sport and can’t be arsed with the effort when we play like s h I t e. Also want to be able to tell the person in the membership department how disappointed I am with the effort from the team this year because I know they do pass on the feeling from the fans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ding said:

Nope.... no way.

Im going to spend that money on something that will make me feel better. I already give to a cat charity in Thailand, so i will just be adding extra to my support next year.

Wiseblood is going to buy an extra membership for whoever doesnt re-sign anyway.

?

so yu are the one who pays for my meals when i am in thailand :)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, jane02 said:

The thought of not renewing has never crossed my mind.

My husband, daughter and dog will also get their membership renewed again. My parents and grandparents would roll over in their graves if I ever stopped being a member of the MFC. I think I would be haunted forever.

Ditto times 4 for the number of (human) memberships I buy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As an overseas resident, I can only watch AFL matches with a membership, so I'll sign up again. I could register a  protest by nominating another club. But after 60 years of supporting Melbourne, well, I just couldn't do that.

My wife thinks I am an idiot. I suspect that supporting Melbourne is just one of the reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, rjay said:

I would love a President like what Ian Dicker was to Hawthorn.

Someone with business smarts, with the club at heart, ego checked at the door & who mixes with the fans...

And a PR firm as his constant companion.

Edited by pitmaster

10 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Gossip and rumour of course, but yes the things I've heard paint a very poor picture from the board down.

There is division in the board, there is a 'click' group of Mahoney, Goodwin and Viney (Snr), there is a split between the co-captains, there is unrest with one co-captain in particular among the playing group, a president who has the biggest ego out of all of them and there is a growing disconnect with former greats of the club, both players and others, who have been basically shunned from the club.

Some of those things can be improved by winning games, simple as that, but we are very very much on a knife edge right now.

This lines up pretty well with what ive heard and know from other sources. 

Only the lapdogs ( and they know who they are..as do I ) who jump like rabid hounds the minute dissent is spoken  of here on the boards want us to believe otherwise. 

Anyone thinking its all honky dory at the Dees ...well....you probably  think reality TV is real too.

Im moving to the country  next year so will reduce my fees accordingly. ...but at still in two minds. 

There was once an era..a time when the MFC seemed a proud and honourable  club. The whole AFL stinks these days. The game is [censored] with left right and centre. Our club says one thing...performs like another.

Ethan is absolutely  right...something smells ...and for good reason. Not sure i really care to invest in a rotten institution.  My auto roll over is now off. 

Ill see what happens.  I font NEED to be a member  to enjoy life. I used to enjoy being a member. ..it's  worn thin.

• Like 1

Ever since the round 23 2017 debacle, I vowed to make the club earn my membership in an annual basis. 

I've been a member for about 17 consecutive years until that point. 

My view from that day is that we've well and truly reached the point as paid members where we are justified in not taking the club on faith anymore. If they were a business product, they'd have gone under long ago. You don't keep buying inferior products, right? 

It took until about round 9ish last  year for me to renew; because I saw a shift. The club deserved the right to be backed once again. 

It would have been so easy to auto renew last summer. I didn't, and I'm so glad for it. They have done absolutely nothing this year to earn it. 

I really, really implore those wanting to renew to at least hold off renewing. Challenge the clubs assumption that they'll have at least 40k members next year. Still renew by all means, but the club just has to receive the message that they can no longer expect us to front up anymore, when they aren't earning our support. 

"Earning it" isn't necessarily making finals. It could even just be one bloody good game. They should just have to earn our membership. So I implore you to wait until that time, whenever you truly think that happens, for you. 

Edited by Purple77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, definitely. Including the GF guarantee. I'll be looking towards season 2020 with hope. Hope that my friends and I can finally get seats together in the same row of level 2 of the Northern Stand if enough Tridents members don't renew. 

Having lived overseas for much of the last 20 years I only returned 4 years ago so have missed a lot of the bad years, including the Neeld era so am not as jaded or disillusioned as some DL's. These days we try to make the day about more than the game itself so go for brunch together before an early game or search out a new craft brewery for lunch if we have a later start. The craic will usually be about anything other than football. This means the day isn't at risk of being sabotaged by what the MFC serve up each week and a win just tops off a great day. It works really well, usually, but I have to admit that from QB on this year I've felt little enthusiasm in going to watch our team play. This side gave up weeks ago and we all know it so I don't blame any fans for deciding to 'take a spell' and do something else with their time. Mental health experts might even recommend it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yes I will be renewing my membership, been a member for over 20 years and followed the club for nearly 60 years and got to see "The Good , The Bad and The Very Ugly" during this time. Last year was a revelation and we still have that core of players at the club, we need to bring in some top talent to help support these players.and continue to build quality depth around the club.

Edited by DeeZone
grammatical flow??
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yep.

MFC has been part of my life for way too long to let go. 

I joined as a member when we were broke and broken. Seen many years worse than this one, though this one was one of the most damaging. 

Been to every home and away this year in Melbourne and even travelled to Darwin to see the loss against the Crows.

It seems strange people want to punish the club coffers instead of the players, the coaches and the administrators.

Members get to vote, and can express their discontent direct to the club to make changes.

Funny thing is,  no one is happy with what has happened this year and changes will be made.

Sadly, the mistake was re-signing Goodwin before the season started.  He is now the person with the least to lose.

2019 is over for all of us. Has been since before the bye and painful ever since.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I signed up again in something like 2011 after a shot hiatus due moving interstate.  The game that made me fork out was an 80 point or something thrashing by West Coast.  My rationale was that my club needed my support then more than ever, so I will definitely be signing again next season AND holding onto my GF guarantee.

I'm as depressed as anyone about our lack of performance on Friday and though some may consider it delusional, I'm not putting it down to a lack of caring.  I actually think there is some extent if rank hypocrisy in those that are not renewing yet expect our players to dig deep and bring us out of this.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No, I will not be a member next year. The way I look at it is if I performed as bad at my job as this club has this year, I would be fired. So I don't see the obligation of supporting them next year.

Earlier this year, I was thinking of getting out of Melbourne for the winter but the only thing that stopped me was the MFC being premiership contenders. I only had a 3 game membership this year and I was thinking about how many general admission tickets I would have to buy to see all the games that I would want to go to. Well in hindsight I made the right decision because I dragged myself to the MCG on Friday night to use up the 3rd game on my membership.

I've already given my boss a resignation date in March next year and will buy a few Lonely Planet books in the coming weeks.

Thus said, I hope next year to be somewhere on the other side of the world and here that the Dees are doing well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I said no but probably will cave in but not unless major changes are made both to the coaches and list. Rooke  and Chaplin must go for a start. And a sensible decision must be made with pick 2 or 3. No more overs paid for unfit older players. It will be very conditional as I’m sure it will be for many.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTR said:

I support the club as I do family or friends, so yes, I'll always renew.

Fair weather 'supporters' can [censored] right off.

I’ve been a member for 34 years, the last 16 as an interstate member and make at least one trip a year over east to watch a game. I wouldn’t consider myself a fair weather supporter. There just comes a time when enough is enough. 

• Like 9