Jump to content

Demons Grand Plan for Yarra Park Training HQ



Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

The local member for the State seat of Melbourne, in which Yarra Park resides, is Ellen Sandell (Greens party). She's already been on radio complaining about it.

It would be good politics for Gosch's park to be restored as "proper" parkland when we leave.

My suspicion (with no evidence to back it up) is that getting out of poker machines might have been a pre-condition to getting State and/or Federal funding for the project. The Western Bulldogs got federal money for the redevelopment of Whitten Oval on that condition. It's the perfect time to be seeking State and Federal support with both governments heading towards elections within the next 11 months (or sooner).

On the first point, on what basis was she complaining?

Virtue signalling, dog whistling. Standard politics of course.

I wonder if there'd be the same uproar if it was a different club?

Am watching this from afar and saw the ABC breakfast show whizz through of the front pages of the majors and saw the Sun front. Very impressive for the club anyway.

I suppose it all comes down to being really clear about what is in scope and what it means for public amenity. Good point on Gosch's.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The facility at Jolimont was practically approved, the only issue was opposition to an MCG-sized ground to play on. Movement of trees not a real issue as it is a common occurrence; the public just doe

I am not sure that is a priority any more.  Admin and training facilities, including whiz bang gym, pool, medical and recovery facilities in the same building or area is the aim.

Well it has been 50 so far so another year is only 2% extra.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

My suspicion (with no evidence to back it up) is that getting out of poker machines might have been a pre-condition to getting State and/or Federal funding for the project. The Western Bulldogs got federal money for the redevelopment of Whitten Oval on that condition. It's the perfect time to be seeking State and Federal support with both governments heading towards elections within the next 11 months (or sooner).

That seems to make sense La Dee. With reasonable proposals, it's a good time to be seeking govt grants

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CBDees said:

The current President of the “East Melbourne Group” is possibly the inner suburb’s biggest NIMBY!

Yes, Murray's already on the job!

It may well be that this is a pincer play between Bartlett and McGuire (and the new Lord Mayor Sally Capp who's a Collingwood Board member) to get traction on the sensible outcome which would be to cover over the Richmond - Flinders Street rail corridor.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

The local member for the State seat of Melbourne, in which Yarra Park resides, is Ellen Sandell (Greens party). She's already been on radio complaining about it.

It would be good politics for Gosch's park to be restored as "proper" parkland when we leave.

My suspicion (with no evidence to back it up) is that getting out of poker machines might have been a pre-condition to getting State and/or Federal funding for the project. The Western Bulldogs got federal money for the redevelopment of Whitten Oval on that condition. It's the perfect time to be seeking State and Federal support with both governments heading towards elections within the next 11 months (or sooner).

and the Federal member is Adam Bandt!   So it certainly looms as a battle!  What will be interesting to hear will be Guy's perspectives on the concept, having seemingly flipped from a pro-development bulldozer to a development naysayer.   No guarantee he gets in of course...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, timbo said:

On the first point, on what basis was she complaining?

Virtue signalling, dog whistling. Standard politics of course.

I wonder if there'd be the same uproar if it was a different club?

Am watching this from afar and saw the ABC breakfast show whizz through of the front pages of the majors and saw the Sun front. Very impressive for the club anyway.

I suppose it all comes down to being really clear about what is in scope and what it means for public amenity. Good point on Gosch's.

To be fair, it was just a "sound grab" for the news, so I don't know everything she might have said. But the one line that made it to air was about Yarra Park being a park for the community to use.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Copuchas said:

and the Federal member is Adam Bandt!   So it certainly looms as a battle!  What will be interesting to hear will be Guy's perspectives on the concept, having seemingly flipped from a pro-development bulldozer to a development naysayer.   No guarantee he gets in of course...

I've got a bridge in Terabithia to sell anyone who thinks Guy is not still pro development. He will say anything to get in power.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be a massive push for this to host a lot of Women's Football. This will appease the lefties at Yarra Council. If done right, this could be huge for the club. We will no doubt partner with a lot of community groups and clubs and offer them access to the ground. That is how these things work, 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

There will be a massive push for this to host a lot of Women's Football. This will appease the lefties at Yarra Council. If done right, this could be huge for the club. We will no doubt partner with a lot of community groups and clubs and offer them access to the ground. That is how these things work, 

We shouldn't have to worry about Yarra Council as Yarra Park is not within their boundary; it's within the City of Melbourne.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's just not gonna happen unfortunately. Even if it did preseason would be an issue with the MCG hosting cricket

I dont think there will be an Aussie cricket team for much longer after coughing up 481 in an ODI last night, unless you're referring the Bushrangers! 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

We shouldn't have to worry about Yarra Council as Yarra Park is not within their boundary; it's within the City of Melbourne.

Fantastic news. I just saw quotes from other mentioning the City of Yarra. I expect we can make this work. There is plenty to play out though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

We shouldn't have to worry about Yarra Council as Yarra Park is not within their boundary; it's within the City of Melbourne.

Exactmundo. A quirk really. As is the fact that the CoM stretches across almost to Kensington

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timbo said:

The maxim, at least in terms of efficiency of transport and environmental impact in a city context, is completely correct.

But let's not let facts get in the way of ideology, eh?

I don't recall mentioning my personal opinion of the merits or otherwise of bicycles vs cars.

I am hammering on councils' over zealous condemnation of cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Copuchas said:

and the Federal member is Adam Bandt!   So it certainly looms as a battle!  What will be interesting to hear will be Guy's perspectives on the concept, having seemingly flipped from a pro-development bulldozer to a development naysayer.   No guarantee he gets in of course...

Guy doesn't have perspectives. Or policy positions. Or even a philosophy. He is a policy vacuum who fills the space with whatever seems like a good vote grabber.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I don't recall mentioning my personal opinion of the merits or otherwise of bicycles vs cars.

I am hammering on councils' over zealous condemnation of cars.

Well, there's a lot to be said for zealously reducing our reliance on cars.

Retracting my snark - sorry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jolimont tracks and station are already sunken well below street/park level. It is effectively underground as it runs under Wellington Pde to the East.

With clever design (and maybe lowering tracks a bit further) only 3/4 stories of the proposed 6 would not be visible above ground level.  Furthermore, with the increasingly popular 'green roofs' architecture the building could easily be camouflaged from the street and to blend into its parkland surrounds.  And for those worried about losing trees, a replanting program should cover it. 

Lobby groups will lobby.  But there is a lot more for the community to gain from this than to lose.  Just needs to be worked through with them.

A Red and Blue colour scheme on the externals of the building would work very well don't you think... :)

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Is this the area they are talking about? I don't know the city very well.

image.png.7e54b68a9d3233704e6a6f6fafa6212a.png

🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕 This is the area talked about. Cut off from the majority of East Melbourne residents by rail tracks and popular primarily with dog-walkers! 🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CBDees said:

🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕 This is the area talked about. Cut off from the majority of East Melbourne residents by rail tracks and popular primarily with dog-walkers! 🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕

The little bit of East Melbourne which is right next to the proposed site (ie, that bit south of Wellington Road and west of Hoddle Street) includes Berry St. Is there still the old "Berry Street Babies Home" there? And if so, does the MFC still support it? If the Home is still there, now would be a very good time for the club to make sure that it does support it and if it has been all along, to get maximum kudos for it (in a way which doesn't seem superficial or self-serving.)  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Jolimont tracks and station are already sunken well below street/park level. It is effectively underground as it runs under Wellington Pde to the East.

With clever design (and maybe lowering tracks a bit further) only 3/4 stories of the proposed 6 would not be visible above ground level.  Furthermore, with the increasingly popular 'green roofs' architecture the building could easily be camouflaged from the street and to blend into its parkland surrounds.  And for those worried about losing trees, a replanting program should cover it. 

Lobby groups will lobby.  But there is a lot more for the community to gain from this than to lose.  Just needs to be worked through with them.

A Red and Blue colour scheme on the externals of the building would work very well don't you think... :)

you've obviously never worked in railway engineering LH!   There's a tunnel portal one end of the area being contemplated (with West Richmond station the other end) and Jolimont station (heritage listed?) the other.  The tracks are going nowhere.....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Copuchas said:

you've obviously never worked in railway engineering LH!   There's a tunnel portal one end of the area being contemplated (with West Richmond station the other end) and Jolimont station (heritage listed?) the other.  The tracks are going nowhere.....

True, I have no idea about engineering. 

I guess I took the dialogue so far to mean literally over the Jolimont station.

Given the limitations you mention, is it feasible to build over the tracks to the city end of Jolimont station (and leave it intact)?  Again, in a way that reduces a building's street mass and landscaped into its surrounds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MT64 said:

And the government HAS to include Spring Street as well as Federal. The Federals have pumped millions into Geelong, Essendon, North and of course the filth.

Maybe my memory's playing tricks, but I seem to recall they also put a lot of money into the Western Bulldogs (not to mention $30 mill to Foxtel to increase coverage of women's sport) 

We're the oldest club, we started the league and haven't had a proper home for decades; should be able to mount a pretty good argument.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

True, I have no idea about engineering. 

I guess I took the dialogue so far to mean literally over the Jolimont station.

Given the limitations you mention, is it feasible to build over the tracks to the city end of Jolimont station (and leave it intact)?  Again, in a way that reduces a building's street mass and landscaped into its surrounds. 

The station butts right up against the Wellington Pde Sth road over-bridge so there's no space down that end.   

The planning issue here is that nobody to date has proposed an economically feasible solution that addresses all issues.   Total elimination of car parking from Yarra Park is a laudable objective but is it realistic to force all MCG sporting precinct patrons on to public transport?  I'd suggest not.   Richmond station is an ugly eyesore that would benefit from redevelopment of some kind.  The railway reservation between Richmond and Flinders Street is a vast area and unattractive.   Most of it could be placed underground (or the cheaper option is to roof over it) but given the insistence that it's mainly green space that's created, there's no commercial proposition on which this can take place.   I think the issue that the MFC will have is that their project will get lost in the larger debate about what to do.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN MINUTES LATE by Whispering Jack

    The late Norm Smith, who played in four Melbourne premierships and coached another six, was a strong disciplinarian. Known as the Red Fox for his auburn hair and his cunning, Smith was a man of a different age to the here and now. Born during the Great War, he survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic, grew up in depression times, played mostly through the Second World War and its aftermath and coached in a period of rebuilding and recovery to a time of prosperity. Smith’s success was built on team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SAINTS HELL IN DEES HEAVEN by GOTO

    The last of this year’s indigenous games was played in the red heart of the country and could well have determined Melbourne’s finals aspirations but it was St Kilda that had its top four hopes dashed after a nail-biting finish in Alice Springs which saw them unceremoniously marched out of the position in football heaven occupied by them for much of this season. It all came down in the end to a goal-line decision as to whether a freakish shot by Christian Petracca was touched and the goal u

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DO OR DIE by The Oracle

    Melbourne is, not for the first time, paying for lapses in matches whereby the club leaks multiple goals without answer and which usually cost the club in those all-important eight point games as it did last week against the Western Bulldogs which replaced the Demons in the AFL top eight. And this week, they come up against a team that reputedly plays in the same mode as the Bulldogs but has been able to prevail over better opponents than Melbourne. It’s not that the Demons are out of form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVE THE DOGS A BONE by George on the Outer

    The winner of the game is in the top eight and the loser out. Had Melbourne won, it would have consigned the Bulldogs season to the scrapheap given their remaining fixture which still includes a bye. The Demons led at half-time but they gave the Dogs a bone which was willingly accepted — they notched 6 goals in the third quarter and dumped the Demons out of the eight. This game simply saw all the bad habits return for Melbourne players.  When they serve up dinky kicks, dinky handballs, litt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FRENZY by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club should hand out an award to the person who came up with the concept of the 20 day football frenzy the football world experienced from Round 9 to the completion of Round 12 on Monday. When the AFL fixture was moved into a state of perpetual motion, things changed so quickly that it was difficult to fathom exactly what was happening to the competition but the Demons have been one of the beneficiaries to date. The flogging the team received at the hands of Port Adel

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...