Jump to content
  • Podcast: No Merger Podcast &      

Sign in to follow this  
Wiseblood

Demons Grand Plan for Yarra Park Training HQ

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Deestar9 said:

Why ? 

Because it's the Melbourne CRICKET Ground and we would once again be shunted to undertaking training wherever we could find a patch of grass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SFebey said:

I dont think there will be an Aussie cricket team for much longer after coughing up 481 in an ODI last night, unless you're referring the Bushrangers! 🤣

International, Sheffield, T20 etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

True, I have no idea about engineering. 

I guess I took the dialogue so far to mean literally over the Jolimont station.

Given the limitations you mention, is it feasible to build over the tracks to the city end of Jolimont station (and leave it intact)?  Again, in a way that reduces a building's street mass and landscaped into its surrounds. 

The site mooted is the most feasible as it overlooks the only large area of (under-utilised) open space in Yarra Park plus offers street frontage and is not compromised by the mega tram stop in the next block (which would create logistic problems during construction)!  It is offers direct access to train and trams and is only a block from the Punt Road/Hoddle Street bus. 👌

Edited by CBDees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Jolimont railway station August 2016.jpg

Great city views from our Member’s Bar/Restaurant (that can never be built out)! 👍

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Jolimont railway station August 2016.jpg

Thanks dc.

As I thought - it is effectively a subterranean station.  

I have checked the heritage listing and Jolimont station is not listed  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heritage_listed_buildings_in_Melbourne#Railway_stations

I can see various options with subways and/or overpassess for cars, rail and pedestrians.  But I guess it will be up to the engineers, architects and lobby groups.  For now, I am simply rapt with the potential of this site.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thanks dc.

As I thought - it is effectively a subterranean station.  

I have checked the heritage listing and Jolimont station is not listed  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heritage_listed_buildings_in_Melbourne#Railway_stations

I can see various options with subways and/or overpassess for cars, rail and pedestrians.  But I guess it will be up to the engineers, architects and lobby groups.  For now, I am simply rapt with the potential of this site.

Speaking as an architect and land economist, the site mooted does not necessarily necessitate incorporating the Jolimont Station which (although not officially heritage listed) has many charming characteristics. I am sure that the Club has factored in the fact that it could easily be added to the heritage list (by opponents to the scheme) so has purposely precluded that option.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CBDees said:

Speaking as an architect and land economist, the site mooted does not necessarily necessitate incorporating the Jolimont Station which (although not officially heritage listed) has many charming characteristics. I am sure that the Club has factored in the fact that it could easily be added to the heritage list (by opponents to the scheme) so has purposely precluded that option.

Thanks CBDees. 

When you say the 'site mooted' do you mean the area I mentioned earlier that is on the city side of the Jolimont station or another part of the rail?  (So far most people have been talking about the area over the station itself).

Agree, it would be a shame to do anything to the station and its charm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thanks CBDees. 

When you say the 'site mooted' do you mean the area I mentioned earlier that is on the city side of the Jolimont station or another part of the rail?  (So far most people have been talking about the area over the station itself).

Agree, it would be a shame to do anything to the station and its charm.

i always understood it to not include the station but to be eastwards of the station (buildings and oval)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

A short stroll up the hill to celebrate a flag.  I like it

We will win one before the facility is available bn!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, old dee said:

We will win one before the facility is available bn!

Then we go walk up the hill and celebrate in the construction site, should be started by September yeah?

 

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The location in East Melbourne (Yarra Park) is Wrong.

 

We are trying to grow the club base at grassroots level, and so this location is the last of the 3. I would think.

 

We are aligned with Casey. And we're trying to connect with our original supporter base, which the largest is around Malvern to Oakleigh, Bentleigh, and those suburbs, etc.

we are going to grow out in the Sth East corridor out from Melbourne's suburbs. we will have large prospective numbers of people out there,  IF we can make a direct link Via public transport...

 

Jolimont just makes yet another step in the transport journey, for those prospective supporters to undertake,,, in getting to, and leaving to get home.

We are talking about the reduction of driving to games, and so the location IS Imperative to our Growth_

Location Location Location.

 

We have almost everything right, except the locality of the home base.

 

If we are to attract big numbers of our supporters to training, and to after-games, and functions, our new HQ should be adjacent to the biggest Rail-Line, and with Tram stops present, as well.

It must be at the Richmond station, to attract our support base, and to make it easier for them, getting to, and home afterward.

 

 I say down with East Melbourne  -----  It's just too hard for distant supporters, to make the trip, on another step to Jolimont.

 

__ are we developing Casey, and the Sth-Est Corridor,,,  or Aren't we ?

Edited by DV8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

i always understood it to not include the station but to be eastwards of the station (buildings and oval)

DC that is exactly as it is depicted in the artist’s impression on the front page of the Hun. Completely independent of the station and any associated problems. 👍

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CBDees said:

DC that is exactly as it is depicted in the artist’s impression on the front page of the Hun. Completely independent of the station and any associated problems. 👍

Thanks for the clarification.  I don't read HS so was going on this thread...clearly, I missed something in the reading... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DV8 said:

The location in East Melbourne (Yarra Park) is Wrong.

 

We are trying to grow the club base at grassroots level, and so this location is the last of the 3. I would think.

 

We are aligned with Casey. And we're trying to connect with our original supporter base, which the largest is around Malvern to Oakleigh, Bentleigh, and those suburbs, etc.

we are going to grow out in the Sth East corridor out from Melbourne's suburbs. we will have large prospective numbers of people out there,  IF we can make a direct link Via public transport...

Jolimont just makes yet another step in the transport journey, for those prospective supporters to undertake,,, in getting to and leaving to get home.

We are talking about the reduction of driving to games, and so the location IS Imperative to our Growth_

Location Location Location.

 

We have almost everything right except the locality of the home base.

 

If we are to attract big numbers of our supporters to training, and to after-games, and functions, our new HQ should be adjacent to the biggest Rail-Line, and with Tram stops present, as well.

It must be at the Richmond station, to attract our support base, and to make it easier for them, getting to, and home afterward.

 

 I say down with East Melbourne  ----- It's just too hard for distant supporters, to make the trip on another step to Jolimont.

 

__ are we developing Casey, and the Sth-Est Corridor,,,  or Aren't we ?

Your argument in favour of locating adjacent a Richmond station is a very good one as it is without argument a location which is the most easily accessed by the majority of Melbourne’s rail network.

It brings with it however other problems such as trying to design around the constraints of an elevated rail line and (equally importantly) where do we locate the oval? Perhaps the answer is building South of Gosh’s Paddock (adjacent the freeway off-ramp) however that is probably equidistant from Richmond Station to where we are talking about, swinging the argument back in favour of the Wellington Parade location which is immediately abutting train and tram.

Edited by CBDees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DV8 said:

The location in East Melbourne (Yarra Park) is Wrong.

 

We are trying to grow the club base at grassroots level, and so this location is the last of the 3. I would think.

 

We are aligned with Casey. And we're trying to connect with our original supporter base, which the largest is around Malvern to Oakleigh, Bentleigh, and those suburbs, etc.

we are going to grow out in the Sth East corridor out from Melbourne's suburbs. we will have large prospective numbers of people out there,  IF we can make a direct link Via public transport...

 

Jolimont just makes yet another step in the transport journey, for those prospective supporters to undertake,,, in getting to, and leaving to get home.

We are talking about the reduction of driving to games, and so the location IS Imperative to our Growth_

Location Location Location.

 

We have almost everything right, except the locality of the home base.

 

If we are to attract big numbers of our supporters to training, and to after-games, and functions, our new HQ should be adjacent to the biggest Rail-Line, and with Tram stops present, as well.

It must be at the Richmond station, to attract our support base, and to make it easier for them, getting to, and home afterward.

 

 I say down with East Melbourne  -----  It's just too hard for distant supporters, to make the trip, on another step to Jolimont.

 

__ are we developing Casey, and the Sth-Est Corridor,,,  or Aren't we ?

Yarra Park is a short walk to Richmond station. Would you prefer they do some circle work up and down Swan St?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think this project will get off the ground. There will be a lot of outrage, opposition and resistance to turn over underutilised open ground near the city and MCG to a mere football club. The NIMBY jungle drums are already rattling. Other than during sporting events this land is generally deserted during the day and only suitable for late night muggings, rape and murders for anyone foolish enough to find themselves there after darkness. Many of the outrage classes of various leanings prefer to keep it this way. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I late night muggings, rape and murders for anyone foolish enough to find themselves there after darkness.

Boo hiss for the victim blaming.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Build a bar facing the platforms at Jolimont so we can taunt platforms full of opposition plebs after games.

  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the one aspect i like is the commercial (i.e. revenue) aspect of siting this over the rail-line in east melbourne.

A medical centre (presumably sports med), extensive gym facilities, social club and an apartment complex (possibly other uses too) are all important revenue raising opportunities and an imperative to mfc in lieu of our now extinguished pokie revenue. the location is particularly important for commercial ventures compared with say near gosch's paddock.

it is a perfect location for commercial exploitation,  and importantly the buildings are not on yarra park lands

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, timbo said:

Boo hiss for the victim blaming.

 

I live 10 minutes walk away and know the area well. I  invite you to take a solo walk there after 11pm to prove you are blameless.

Edited by america de cali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Matt Demon said:

Yarra Park is a short walk to Richmond station. Would you prefer they do some circle work up and down Swan St?

Short walk to the train, in the rain??

Short walk to the train, with little kiddies?

Short walk to the train, with people with disabilities.

Jolimont suits the well heeled, who take taxis everywhere, and do not travel on metro trains.

 

It does not suit the grassroots supporter AT ALL.

 

IF the Victorian Labor Party see this as fact,,, then they will help us to build adjacent to Gosch's Paddock.

 

And we can build over Swan St and the Tramlines,,, more easily than building over the Jolimont Rail line. and cheaper to do except for the apartment building.

The ground floor would be undercover car-park, maybe even 2 levels, one below ground.  So the 1st floor would reach out over Swan Street, above the Tramlines, with viewing over Gosch's.and training. It could have some membership retail area and cafe etc. The floors above, can hold the Gym, Footy Dept,  Admin' Offices, Function Rooms for meetings, Social areas, etc.

A building over Swan Street gives us passing traffic every day of the week to grow ourselves, and so easy to attend, and to leave for home. 

Easy for families.   Easy for every-one along the Sth-East Corridor, who continually get ignored buy the AFL. 

 

Lets own the STH-East Corridor.  We can if we want to.

Edited by DV8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll happen.  It will be confirmed by the end of the footy season.*

 

*I have no tomato source, just a gut feel.  I can't see us leaking this sort of stuff it we aren't in advanced talks to get it off the ground*

  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Short walk to the train, in the rain??

Short walk to the train, with little kiddies?

Short walk to the train, with people with disabilities.

Jolimont suits the well heeled, who take taxis everywhere, and do not travel on metro trains.

 

It does not suit the grassroots supporter AT ALL.

 

IF the Victorian Labor Party see this as fact,,, then they will help us to build adjacent to Gosch's Paddock.

 

And we can build over Swan St and the Tramlines,,, more easily than building over the Jolimont Rail line. and cheaper to do except for the apartment building.

A building over Swan Street gives us passing traffic every day of the week to grow ourselves, and so easy to attenfd and to leave for home. easy for families.

Easy for every-one along the Sth-East Corridor who continually get ignored buy the AFL. 

 

Lets own the STH-East Corridor.  We can if we want to.

Is the Oakleight, Bentleigh (and beyond) corridor demographic suitable to football?

I don't think it's just about going where the people are.

You've got the administrative and exec wing of the club and players too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, timbo said:

Is the Oakleight, Bentleigh (and beyond) corridor demographic suitable to football?

I don't think it's just about going where the people are.

You've got the administrative and exec wing of the club and players too.

 

???

Swan street is good enough for the Melbourne Storm, for the Pies, and the Tiges are just a Sand Iron away.

There is enormous amount of footy going public, along the Sandrinham, Frankston and Dandenong, rail lines.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by the Oracle

    Thankfully they moved this week’s game from Sydney where the sun shines and the virus breeds ever so slowly and almost nobody returns a positive test. The change of fixture comes at precisely the right time to allow everyone in town to head to the MCG on Sunday at around 3:30pm, not to catch up with what’s going on inside the ground but rather, to do what’s fashionable for woke folk in 2020 — pulling down statues. It’s time for Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews to go but you can’t touch Norm Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LESSONS IN LOSING by George on the Outer

    Turn up for the game and look like you want to win it.  Melbourne lost this game to Geelong, a game after a couple of extended breaks, looking like they were at the end of a 22 game season. Right from the start there was a lack of intensity across the board, as the Demons played exactly the type of game that the ageing Geelong list wanted. Geelong repeatedly played possession footy, to avoid having to run those ageing legs, something that Melbourne failed to exploit.  To use the oft quot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    QUARRANTINO by Whispering Jack

    At a little after 4.00pm last Saturday, the MCG ceased to be the centre of the AFL universe. That was when the AFL’s el supremo Gil McLaughlin announced that the Bombers’ Conor McKenna had returned a COVID-19 positive result and declared that the game set for the following day between Essendon and Melbourne was postponed.  What followed was truly the stuff of a pulp fiction novel. We witnessed a suitcase load of mental gymnastics and spin calculated to let McKenna (and the Essendon Football

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...