Which Team can we beat on current Form?

Demonsone

Its the teams below us we need to beat first! 

This is our draw for the next 11 weeks:

image.png.1b4959df88b7ee9d588c9ef9e8a1cddb.png

5 are vs teams below us and 3 vs those immediately above us. 

If we don't win those 8 it doesn't matter how many of the top 10 we beat.

Ideally we win 9/10 of the 11 because 4 of rnds 18 to 23 will be tough to win. 

Our poor %'age may well be what keeps us out of the finals.  Again.

Keep in mind ...should we lose to Ess it starts to become playing more and more teams above.

Annus Horribilus on the cards if no immediate correction .

It seems to be only Demonland members who are seeing half-empty glasses. A couple of Richmond supporters I know thought we played well and were nervous until halfway through the last quarter. One of the so-called footy experts on radio yesterday (can't remember who) said he thought Melbourne would have between 12 or 13 other teams with the way we played against Richmond. And, conversely, most commentators were saying yesterday that Richmond is by far the best team in the competition at the moment. And I agree with that - in fact, in my view they're better now than they were at any time last year. So, I'll look at my half-full glass and say we can beat anyone bar Richmond, but only if we play the way we have been coached to play and at a consistent level for whole games.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Like 1

It seems to be only Demonland members who are seeing half-empty glasses. A couple of Richmond supporters I know thought we played well and were nervous until halfway through the last quarter. One of the so-called footy experts on radio yesterday (can't remember who) said he thought Melbourne would have between 12 or 13 other teams with the way we played against Richmond. And, conversely, most commentators were saying yesterday said that Richmond is by far the best team in the competition at the moment. And I agree with that - in fact, in my view they're better now than they were at any time last year. So, I'll look at my half-full glass and say we can beat anyone bar Richmond, but only if we play the way we have been coached to play and at a consistent level for whole games.

That’s the major frustration though isn’t it, on OUR day we can beat anyone and when we have a bad day out we’re putrid. I think we were more consistent last year.

It's possible Richmond fans are just worried about losing their clasp on the cup.

We on the other hand are concerned about even being relevant.

Richmond had the game won before the start. We had a Neanderthal approach that fell over as soon as thinking was required.

Its probably only the diehard optimist that sees the glass as even half empty.

On form it IS empty.

I reckon we would've beat about half the sides in the league on Tuesday night.

Our 3rd qtr revival was impressive and it was only the fact that Richmond are that good that they were able to counter punch when it mattered and then eventually broke us. If the oppo was a GC, Brisbane or even Freo (the away version) I'd say we would've ran out easy winners in the second half. 

That percentage...

Yep.  It's not season ruining yet, but come round 17 or 18 we'd want to be looking back at round 4 and 5 as our two biggest losses.  Hopefully we can give someone a hiding in that time as well to recover it.

The biggest worry i have is the players going the full white flag on the season if we have a couple more bad losses. We have a rich history in this area. And it doesn't look good given the way the current group has just flat out given up when it got tough in the last 2 games.

• Like 1

In the lead up to the start of the season, I;

Rounds 1-3 - hoped we'd be 3-0, but was willing to take 2-1

Rounds 4-9 - hoped we would go through this period 6-0 or 5-1.  Again, I was willing to be 4-2

With that said, my bottom pass mark would be to sit 6 wins 3 losses after Round 9, which I still think is more likely than not.

15 hours ago, praha said:

They smashed Adelaide, took it right up to GWS, took care of Carlton, and were clinical against Essendon. They play a similar brand to Richmond, and predict it to be a 10-20 point difference either way. 

They still won by 50 points today. You would expect good teams to take care of "woeful" teams in a similar way. As it stands, we're 0-3 against top 8 contenders. 

They smashed witches hats. Adelaide simply didn't turn up. Compare how Adelaide played that week with how they played last week vs Sydney. Incomparable performances, and whilst Collingwood absolutely deserve credit for bringing Adelaide down, that game was as much a reflection of Adelaide putting in their worst performance in years.

GWS had won 1 game at the G in their entire existence before they beat Collingwood this year. 

"Taking care" of Carlton isn't much to write home about. We "took care" of North, who are far better than Carlton. And they weren't "clinical" against Essendon, they were error-riddled, just far less so than Essendon's putrid performance.

Collingwood might have had a far better fortnight than us, but so have about 12 other clubs. They're not a top 4 side.

3 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

They smashed witches hats. Adelaide simply didn't turn up. Compare how Adelaide played that week with how they played last week vs Sydney. Incomparable performances, and whilst Collingwood absolutely deserve credit for bringing Adelaide down, that game was as much a reflection of Adelaide putting in their worst performance in years.

GWS had won 1 game at the G in their entire existence before they beat Collingwood this year. 

"Taking care" of Carlton isn't much to write home about. We "took care" of North, who are far better than Carlton. And they weren't "clinical" against Essendon, they were error-riddled, just far less so than Essendon's putrid performance.

Collingwood might have had a far better fortnight than us, but so have about 12 other clubs. They're not a top 4 side.

I see what you're saying, but the same could be said of any team on any given week. Richmond were witches hats against Adelaide, too.

I don't think you can underestimate Collingwood. IMO they stand to be one of 6 teams vying for the last 3 spots in the top 8, and they're currently the most likely to make it from that group. 

Happy to be proven wrong, but I think Collingwood will play finals this year and be among firmly in the top 6.

• 1 month later...