Post Match Discussion - Round 3

Demonland

2 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Reading a truckload of negativity from the usual suspects

Make no mistake, this was a bloody good win against a team that plays hard and fast

I think you are confusing negativity with objectivity. 

It was a good win against an average opposition. 

And the positive is that there is much to improve upon. 

1 minute ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Agree on your last point, Stretcher, but Norf are not to be underestimated - they have a half decent list

3 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Agree on your last point, Stretcher, but Norf are not to be underestimated - they have a half decent list

They have some talent but fall away quickly,  quicker than us. 

I think this is some of the better and more reasoned discussion I have seen on this site for a while and I don't think it should be stifled.  You don't want to end up like that other bloke who would run this place like North Korea given the chance. 

I enjoy the analysis whether I think it's  right or wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Ten times better discussion than last week when apparently the sky was falling in around us because we didn't win by 15 goals.

We definitely have areas to work on. I think we could have iced the game by 3 quarter time if we had made better use of our scoring opportunities. However, I think that part of that comes down to North's pressure.

Better conversion from set shots and a better balance between fast entries and looking for the right option are clear areas to work on.

4 hours ago, ProDee said:

I've been pretty positive this year, however, I left the game a little disappointed.  It was a bit of a reality check for me.  We need to get a lot better if we're going to be a serious challenger in 2018.  We have far too many ordinary players.

Our skill level still isn't great and teams still get out the back far too easily, which means our defensive structures still need plenty of work.

The only saving grace is that there are no real standout teams.  All teams have issues and ordinary players.  But we're a fair way off being a really organised unit.  There are way too many holes and our ball movement needs a lot of work.   

That said, I think Viney will make a big difference around the ball when he gets back in.  We miss him around the stoppages.

I know I'm being a little negative and I expect we'll continue to get better and more familiar with the tweaks in the game-plan.  I'm just not sure we've got the personnel to do much this year.  I certainly don't see a top 4 side.

Max kicks the goal against Geelong we’re 3-0!

We beat Brisbane away, that looks good when you see they ran PA to 5points in Adelaide.

Beat our hoodoo team in North by 5 goals 7, Fritsch robbed  a goal, they had a 4 goal start, could easily of been 10 goals.

Look at improvement in:

Gawn

Hogan

Petracca

OMac improved (Brown got 4 but two from frees)

Salem yesterday showed signs

Oliver not best day still 20 pos & 2 goals

Garlett goals & great pressure 

Fritsch highly skilled can make things happen out of not much

Still missing: Viney & T Mac 2of our best 6

Jetta, Hibberd, Lever will all get better and defence will gel overtime 

Melksham, Harmes, ANB can all play better

Tyson solid yesterday

Vince and Lewis also solid, especially last qtr for Lewis, but they are under pressure to hold their spots which is great.

Jones, can see when he lifts makes a big difference to the team.

Borderline Wagner played his best game yesterday, same with Bugg, Kent did well just needs to keep going, Frost made a solid contribution.

Out of team, putting pressure on the firsts:

Hunt will find form

Brayshaw is close

Pedersen good back up

Yesterday was a team effort, a really good win! Once we win a few in a row and the backline settles, confidence will come and we will lift to another level.

We are finals bound!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Stretch Johnson said:

1 hour ago, jumbo returns said:

TBH if you told me that Brown and Waite kick 7 between them, Hogan gets one and Oliver 20 possessions I’d be thinking a loss to us or a win under a goal.

• Like 1

I think one of the good things is I feel we are playing below our best but are still getting he wins and really should have got the win against Geelong. 

I still haven’t been able to see the replay, but there sounds like there’s plenty of room to improve while still getting two hard fought wins. 

Oh and don’t underestimate the mental side of getting rid of this curse. We lost to them twice last year, we win one of those and we would’ve been in the finals. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Just watching the replay I'd actually forgotten about the free kick Goldstein got for elbowing Lever in the head.

Second worst umpiring decision of the year.

loving your forensic analysis of the vision @Clint Bizkit - stoking my fires of outrage and vitriol next time im at the 'g'. 

17 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

McDonald was good and did as well as he could, Brown certainly got lucky with some umpiring decisions which inflated his numbers.

Just on Brown, he's normally a play I enjoy watching but his staging for free kicks makes him unlike-able.

Just watched the replay and couldnt disagree more strongly. I thought after reading a few posters saying Oscar played well, that i must have missed something.... I stand by my observations from the ground. No way did he have a good game. Lost practically every single 1v1 contest and was basically pantsed all day. Amazed how anyone can say he played well, because he was flogged.

Tyson was better than i thought, as were Wagner and Frosty.

The umpires were also worse than i originally thought... I said that they were bad, but that doesnt even begin to describe how rank they were. Absolutely disgusting display of "guessing" by the maggots.

Good result, and was actually more like a 10 goal win than the score suggested.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ding said:

Just watched the replay and couldnt disagree more strongly. I thought after reading a few posters saying Oscar played well, that i must have missed something.... I stand by my observations from the ground. No way did he have a good game. Lost practically every single 1v1 contest and was basically pantsed all day. Amazed how anyone can say he played well, because he was flogged.

The umpires were also worse than i originally thought... I said that they were bad, but that doesnt even begin to describe how rank they were. Absolutely disgusting display of "guessing" by the maggots.

He did as well as anyone could one-on-one with the 200cm Ben Brown.

Brown got one goal from a dumb free kick that Frost gave away, a second from a very dubious holding the man call against McDonald and another from a Gawn ruck infringement.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

We finally beat the irrelevant Bastards. 

In North Melbourne there are 3 things

Abbotoirs, Housing Commission Flats & Arden St

it is a disgrace they are allowed to use the Cities name in part as their title. 

The last 4,248 days were the biggest dark clouds ☁️ to hang over the MFC, to be owned by an organization, that if they fell over and died very few would care. 

Onwards and Upwards Demons. A significant chain was broken yesterday

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Brown got one goal from a dumb free kick that Frost gave away, a second from a very dubious holding the man call against McDonald and another from a Gawn ruck infringement.

He got beaten badly, practically all day. I counted only a couple of contests he won and many he lost.

Kid's a footballer and i don't get all the hatred he has had directed at him, but his game yesterday was rubbish. Soundly beaten.

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We finally beat the irrelevant Bastards. 

In North Melbourne there are 3 things

Abbotoirs, Housing Commission Flats & Arden St

it is a disgrace they are allowed to use the Cities name in part as their title. 

The last 4,248 days were the biggest dark clouds ☁️ to hang over the MFC, to be owned by an organization, that if they fell over and died very few would care. 

Onwards and Upwards Demons. A significant chain was broken yesterday

Don't hold back, SWYL....

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Don't hold back, SWYL....

I made sure i didn’t

i have loathed Nought ever since the 1973 10 Year rule. 

The only way they ever won flags was by using “other players” including some of our own. 

I was so disappointed when Brayshaw saved them from going to the Gold Coast. 

They are a drain on the City. 

Edited by Sir Why You Little

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I made sure i didn’t

i have loathed Nought ever since the 1973 10 Year rule. 

The only way they ever won flags was by using “other olayers” including some of our own. 

I was so disappointed when Brayshaw saved them from going to the Gold Coast. 

They are a drain on the City. 

Haha - I'd love to buy in there

Vic Market goes alright

True, they bought premierships with their Form Fours......

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Haha - I'd love to buy in there

Vic Market goes alright

True, they bought premierships with their Form Fours......

The Vic Market

Money Laundering at 4am thrives!! :)

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Oscar is too nice...He needs to niggle Brown beyond despair. Brown actually doesnt have a lot of tricks...just does the few well. He knows how to suck in the Maggots too ;)

3 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Reading a truckload of negativity from the usual suspects

Make no mistake, this was a bloody good win against a team that plays hard and fast

After watching the replay with my blood pressure lower .....I realise what a thumping it was. Yes we squandered several chances but even despite those .......minus the 4 goals gifted to norf by frees ....this was almost a 10 goal win.

Not bad against a side that has won the last 17. Big max played like a small man.

Oliver was tagged for once but still had a good game. Hogan is a star. Trac is a bull. Bugg kicked true. Kent is back.

Salem was back to his silky best. 

Lever showed improvement. Jones is still superfit. Fritz is a livewire.

Great stuff. Go dees.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ding said:

Couldn't agree more about Oscar, got outmuscled on numerous occasions but didnt get much of a chop out.

Glad to see you notice Frosty were a better team with him in it did a solid job on Waite and ran off him at leisure. Also some good intercept marks for gd measure from Frosty.

• Like 2