Jake Stringer

Watts the matter

On 19/09/2017 at 2:06 PM, ding said:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/jake-stringer-says-he-never-contemplated-leaving-western-bulldogs/news-story/63aedd384aa9d2d1d1ee9829ecdd55c8

Link to the first story i could find online... didnt give much away. He must have been asked specifically about Geelong because thats the only other club mentioned.

Time will tell i guess, but i for one would be very happy to give him a second chance if the price was right. Reckon he will come good after this wake-up call.

I lean more towards a quite decent year, maybe 2, including a great game or 2 against the Dogs, followed by another slide back into mediocrity.

An enlarged ego can be very detrimental to a players career.

4 hours ago, DaveyDee said:

Must become our Number One priority now -

Bulldogs have absolutely stuffed this up. Stringer is a gun and we can get him relatively cheaply.  

Gotta love the new fb mob. Lol!

More "Number One" than Lever or just about any other half decent player? Nah.

Really, this has more alarm bells that a Chubb Security showroom. 

Pass.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Any young man's gonna make mistakes, till he hits the brakes.-The Black Keys.

If we can get him cheap i trust our organisation to stop him shagging the wrong people.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Biffen said:

Any young man's gonna make mistakes, till he hits the brakes.-The Black Keys.

If we can get him cheap i trust our organisation to stop him shagging the wrong people.

Define us as a club - bold, brave and ruthless off the field, bold brave & ruthless on the field. 

As good a place as any. We often pontificate about this player, that player, arranging all sorts of wondrous exchanges or drafts only to have the 'professionals' do something entirely different based upon their intel.

Some work out some don't.

I await the club's thinkings.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 2

Maybe Beveridge isn't the great man manager he likes to make out. 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/media-watch-bulldogs-push-back-on-jake-stringers-right-to-choose-a-club-carlton-offers-tom-rockliff-a-contract/news-story/6f270b4e0267566da7da0173fc2c382a

“There’s now internal acknowledgment within the Bulldogs that ... some layers of this story have been atrociously handled from within,” Barrett said...“From Luke Beveridge initially failing to personally tell Jake Stringer that he would be traded to Luke Beveridge going publicly.

Gee, to not look the kid in the eye and tell him he would be traded, is poor form by Beveridge.  From Stringers interview, he didn't know that at his exit interview.  He said, afterwards WB football management met with Stringer's manager (not with him) who then told him.  So he heard it 3rd hand.

Now, its a bit rich for WB to decide where he goes.  After all, they unceremoniously dumped him!  Too bad, too sad that they have undermined his value and won't get the trade they wanted. 

The kid seems to want to do the right thing by his young family, to be close geographically and go to a club where he can perform at his best.  I reckon he has the right to do just that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DemonAndrew said:

Barrett hates Beveridge since he belted him at the Brownlow a few years back

Dont believe a word that purple muppet says

There is enough info in the public domain to show he is right in this case.  WB have completely botched it and now realise they have shot themselves in the foot in the process.  Too bad, I say.  Let the kid go where he wants!

This year the Dogs have had a problem with player preparation and application. Many consider it a premiership hangover.

The Dogs are hanging Stringer out dry. Do they not want him, possibly, but they also seem to be setting an example for the rest of their playing group.

I won't be surprised if the entire trade period transpires and the Dogs claim they weren't able to get the right trade done, blocking any low ball offers in the process as he is still in contract. Effectively they'll be giving Stringer a scare and kick up the arse, while setting an example for the rest of their playing group.

Ultimately I would love him at the MFC. But if he doesn't come to us, I hope he remains at the Dogs, where in the process, waste Dedoro's time at Essendon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ignition. said:

Effectively they'll be giving Stringer a scare and kick up the arse, while setting an example for the rest of their playing group.

...and how do you think Stringer will be able to respect the senior coach after the way this has been handled.

If their ploy was to ruffle a few feathers and get the players back on track then it's a funny way to do it.

I would think there is no way Stringer can return to the dogs now.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Maybe Beveridge isn't the great man manager he likes to make out. 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/media-watch-bulldogs-push-back-on-jake-stringers-right-to-choose-a-club-carlton-offers-tom-rockliff-a-contract/news-story/6f270b4e0267566da7da0173fc2c382a

“There’s now internal acknowledgment within the Bulldogs that ... some layers of this story have been atrociously handled from within,” Barrett said...“From Luke Beveridge initially failing to personally tell Jake Stringer that he would be traded to Luke Beveridge going publicly.

Gee, to not look the kid in the eye and tell him he would be traded, is poor form by Beveridge.  From Stringers interview, he didn't know that at his exit interview.  He said, afterwards WB football management met with Stringer's manager (not with him) who then told him.  So he heard it 3rd hand.

Now, its a bit rich for WB to decide where he goes.  After all, they unceremoniously dumped him!  Too bad, too sad that they have undermined his value and won't get the trade they wanted. 

The kid seems to want to do the right thing by his young family, to be close geographically and go to a club where he can perform at his best.  I reckon he has the right to do just that.

I dont think Bevo is quite the Messiah he appeared. Rode Maccas coat tails to a Cup and good luck to him ( wish we had one )

Footiscray still seem a bit hamfisted in many things they do (Not saying we're much better ..just a comment on them )

Stringer's no saint.. nor his club a perfect design 

4 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

Up to our eyeballs in this - Stringer needs to be our number one priority. After landing Lever if we landed Stringer we are set for a top 8 finish. 

I agree DD

No downside its exactly sort of risk this club needs to take to fill holes in the list at little upfront cost

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jackaub said:

I agree DD

No downside its exactly sort of risk this club needs to take to fill holes in the list at little upfront cost

Bulldogs have absolutely stuffed this up - Jake is no alter boy but I think him and Petracca rotating between mid-forward is lethal. 

Maybe it's my conditioning growing up in the 90's with 190-195cm KPF's, but I was shocked to realise Stringer is 192cm, his speed and aerial dominance over his opponents makes a lot more sense now. I had always thought he was a 180-185cm small forward with X factor.

Edited by Deeprived Childhood
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 64" said:

l hope your right Daveydee because we have ended up with some muppets in the past

4 minutes ago, jackaub said:

We have also kept a lot of Muppets

Strategically we are in top-up mode with one clear goal - to make the finals in 2018. Stringer perfectly fits our needs. It has been a long time since we have been in this position. Its going to be tough to get him, nearly ever club in Victoria will have a crack if they can arrange the right player swap for the Dogs. 

We need to get Stringer to commit to us 100% and we wont know that until after he has spoken will all the clubs. 

8 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

Strategically we are in top-up mode with one clear goal - to make the finals in 2018. Stringer perfectly fits our needs. It has been a long time since we have been in this position. Its going to be tough to get him, nearly ever club in Victoria will have a crack if they can arrange the right player swap for the Dogs. 

We need to get Stringer to commit to us 100% and we wont know that until after he has spoken will all the clubs. 

Jack W straight swap

30 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

There is a reason they are getting rid of him and there is a reason a lot of clubs aren't interest.

I'd listen to reason. It's a blooody good reason to leave this bloke alone.

• Like 2