Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Blimey dl has a lot of amateur psychiatrists. Seem to know exactly what jack wants, needs, thinks, understands and most of all what is wrong with him.

By the by does jack's comfort zone refer to a spot in his board shorts or perhaps a bar he plans to open?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pinkshark said:

Totally agree with this.  F me, but he was helping to carry us in the first half of the year.  His set shot accuracy is outstanding, his delivery also.  Its a goodwin thing.  Its been on the cards since preseason.  He is a typical young coach who thinks he is going to change the game and 'stamp' his style.  His frigging style is no different to any other club.  He is about to give away an integral piece of our immediate future, and give a match winner to another club.  As for all the commentary regarding Watts's partying.  Get a grip you sad, boring pricks.  Of course he is partying.  Its what young people do.  F me again, he didn't cheap shot anyone like vince and lewis (both in leadership group).  His hamstring injury was the first injury I ever recall him missing a game.  He has been surrounded by dud players and coaches since he has been at the club.  The first year we load up on some talent he has one very good year (2016) and continued that until his injury this year.  He has been one of our most resilient players in one of our worst ever periods.  Goodwin is a bit pathetic in this.  He is scapegoating Jack Watts again instead of supporting and encouraging.  He has allowed himself to be swept up in the Jack Watts circus.  [censored] Adelaide knobhead.

Respectfully disagree.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

The kid come across as a bloke who has been given everything his whole life, wouldn't know what actual hard work is.

What a load of baloney. Anyone playing AFL is working hard. Maybe not as hard as you want, but certainly knows what hard work is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, McQueen said:

Well everything else leading up to this has failed.

Whether it's a direct and strategic ploy (which I doubt it is) remains to be seen but it's the result that's the only concern.

Ask the question: "has Watts got what it takes"?

Seems surprising that there are several other clubs who think he does.  Obviously they don't read Demonland and are happy to have a player with all of Watt's defects in their team.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Whatever the outcome, both parties have made an absolute embarrassment to themselves IMO.

Jack hasn't. He has a contract. Why should he be forced to leave if he doesn't want to. He has every right to stand his ground and not roll over like the club wants - and probably expected - him to. Good on him i say.

Respect.

Edited by binman
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Grand New Flag said:

There is a little more going on that has almost forced Goodwill to make public comments so to off load Watts.

As a contracted player Watts cant be traded without his approval. 

Watts has made an unprecedented pitch to the club to stay.  It started with a PR news story when he was first told to find a new club. His campaign to stay has now involved his manager, all senior coaches, he has looked for support form the administration, the Board and now the media and general public.  This has not gone down well with Goodwin and created a  problem for him, these tactics are unprecedented. Usually when players are told they are not wanted they cant find a new home fast enough. 

I don't like Watts chances of staying but he is going all out.  He is going down fighting.

This may be the wake up he requires.

Its going to be an interesting few weeks. 

Sounds like a guy whos petrified of going to a new club and coach and having to work hard and earn his stripes and make new friends.

Kinda sad really.   Trade him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, binman said:

Jack hasn't. He has a contract. Why should he be forced to leave if he doesn't want to. He has every right to stand his ground and not roll over l7ke the club wants - and probably expected - him to. Good on him i say.

Respect.

No use him crying about it all now, he's had plenty of chances. Thats the industry, it's now ruthless and if he didn't see it coming then that explains his own head-space.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SFebey said:

No use him crying about it all now, he's had plenty of chances. Thats the industry, it's now ruthless and if he didn't see it coming then that explains his own head-space.

Crying? He is doing the opposite. He's standing firm. He is being ruthless. As i have said all along he has the whip hand and to the surprise of people who have pigeon holed as a soft playboy he is using it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Sounds like a guy whos petrified of going to a new club and coach and having to work hard and earn his stripes and make new friends.

How much do you charge per hour. Do you bulk bill?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, binman said:

Crying? He is doing the opposite. He's standing firm. He is being ruthless. As i have said all along he has the whip hand and to the surprise of people who have pigeon holed as a soft playboy he is using it.

No offence to you binman but Jack Watts and the word ruthless is hilarious. Maybe he should have shown some of this ruthlessness on the track and park?

1 minute ago, binman said:

nothing personal, binman, but the image of jack ever holding the whip hand doesn't pass the pub test

jack is a nice guy but i can't picture him with a whip :o

9 minutes ago, sue said:

Seems surprising that there are several other clubs who think he does.  Obviously they don't read Demonland and are happy to have a player with all of Watt's defects in their team.

Not really, surprising, it actually why you trade - trading is a part of professional sport. Look at the last 5 premiers Tigers, Hawks, Sydney, Geelong & Dogs all prolific traders - sometime a player might not suit your model but fits perfectly into another teams model. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveyDee said:

Not really, surprising, it actually why you trade - trading is a part of professional sport. Look at the last 5 premiers Tigers, Hawks, Sydney, Geelong & Dogs all prolific traders - sometime a player might not suit your model but fits perfectly into another teams model. 

Yes, but reading many of the posts here you'd have to think that the other clubs which are after Watts have a model deliberately designed to ensure mediocracy for years to come and pain to their supporters.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Its not the industry.  Its a personality clash between the coach and player.  If it were the industry he wouldn't be courted by other clubs.  FFS his talent is insane. Other clubs know it.  We don't want it.  

3 minutes ago, Socrates said:

The Coach and Skipper have thrown Jack Watts under a bus with their public comments about him. It's culture destroying.

The great Jim Stynes would be turning in his grave.

The same Jim Stynes who was very supportive of us playing for draft picks? That was 1000 times more culture destroying than this little fluff piece.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Socrates said:

The Coach and Skipper have thrown Jack Watts under a bus with their public comments about him. It's culture destroying.

The great Jim Stynes would be turning in his grave.

I'm pretty certain whatever happens with Jack ,  the culture will be fine... just like with was with Jack Trengove or Jack Grimes as well...

Also, alluding to how Jim Stynes would or wouldn't feel about something, is a pretty $hitty way to get emotional leverage in an argument.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Rubbish. Watts was all but going at the end of 2013 until Roos implored him to stay and tell him that this club can be great again. 

He steadily works on his game over 2014-2015 playing a variety of different positions and then has a great 2016 where there club has offered him a new contract,and he, yes Jack, turned his back on free agency to commit to the Dees again on the promise of playing finals footy.

He starts off with a pretty well 2017 and then it's dropped after some crap form after his first major injury in his career. Then, the coach, not the club, wants him out, after all the opportunities he's had to leave the Dees but he's shown loyalty, and now the coach is offering nothing. I'd be pretty [censored] off too.

• Like 5

On 10/1/2017 at 9:07 PM, Stretch Johnson said:

Another thing to consider is his place in the modern game. 

Where does he play?   I don't think he gets a game in the Tiger's side yesterday.

That is something to think about SJ.   Unfortunately the intensity / consistency required to play out a full finals series and then win the big one is not in the make up of many, even at lower levels like the VFL let alone AFL.

I can also see this from Goody's side... "Wait...Wattsy if you can't cut it at home & away level (prep / intensity / consistency) then how the hec are we supposed to have faith in you and take you in to finals if we get there!!??".

It's a cut-throat professional sport and i guess that's the message Goody is sending.

What i do suspect is that this will go one of two ways for Goody and the FD with no middle ground.  It will either be a great success, a la Deledio, or Goody will lose a number within the playing group and we will struggle next year.  His man management skills will either win through and we will play finals next year.  Or they won't and we will suffer accordingly.

As someone once said, every organisation is potentially only one major decision away from complete disaster or unparalleled success.  And this is not to say that, in isolation, the Watts decision is as momentous as that... but the run off effect may well be (either way). 

Unfortunately we will have to wait till sometime next season before knowing which way it's gone.

• Like 1

Putting aside personalities and that it is Jack, it was always going to be interesting to ship out someone at the end of the first year of a 3 year contract. It is usually the player, eg Gibbs, who wants out with lots of time on their contract.

Personally I think Goodwin has handled this poorly and McCartney talking openly and honestly at lunches about his desire to move Jack on hasn't helped in this day of social media where evrything you say can be broadcast.

Did they think that this form of rejection would make Jack leave? They cleraly don't know him and his personality. He has copped more flack and criticism than anyone I know and through it all has kept his head high and maintained his composure and not complained. He is very relient. It is no surprise that he has responded saying he doesn't want to leave despite his disappointment.

Why did the club give Jack a 3 year deal if they were so concerned with his shortcomings? What has changed in the space of 12 months? Does this mean any player on contract can expect to be shipped out if they have a bad season?

I liked it that the club came out and Mahoney made a statement about Hogan being a required player. The comments from the coach and captain critisizing Jack and Goodwin having to explain himself has been amateurish and out of character for how the club has been run. This will be difficult to manage if Jack digs in his heels and says "I have a contract you must honour it" as it is very clear Goodt wants him to leave.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, sue said:

Yes, but reading many of the posts here you'd have to think that the other clubs which are after Watts have a model deliberately designed to ensure mediocracy for years to come and pain to their supporters.

Could not agree with you more Sue. However, that is a reflection on many in here and nothing to do with the MFC and Jack Watts. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Rubbish. Watts was all but going at the end of 2013 until Roos implored him to stay and tell him that this club can be great again. 

He steadily works on his game over 2014-2015 playing a variety of different positions and then has a great 2016 where there club has offered him a new contract,and he, yes Jack, turned his back on free agency to commit to the Dees again on the promise of playing finals footy.

He starts off with a pretty well 2017 and then it's dropped after some crap form after his first major injury in his career. Then, the coach, not the club, wants him out, after all the opportunities he's had to leave the Dees but he's shown loyalty, and now the coach is offering nothing. I'd be pretty [censored] off too.

That's a solid summary that i can't argue with BOG.  My worry here is that Goody (and friends / assistants) are possibly playing favourites here but then there's the pre-season issue that Watts allegedly brought upon himself.  We can only speculate as to how others in the playing group are viewing all this.   The downside, if unfavourable, would be yet another potential ugly period ahead for this club if the culture turns sour.....again!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, binman said:

More like when you cut a girlfriend loose and she keeps coming back wanting to rekindle the romance but you've already got your eye on the next girl ... 

• Haha 2