Drinking session

olisik

33 minutes ago, old dee said:

Did you notice the result on Friday night Wrecker. Hardly the stuff of champions. At least two of that four would have played had they not blown it and the result could have been a lot closer.

Yeah I saw the result on Friday night. Have you seen the best teams in the last 20 years?

3 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Yeah I saw the result on Friday night. Have you seen the best teams in the last 20 years?

And how do you get to a conclusion that drinking, or a drinking culture, correlates with success?  The best teams in 20 years had so many other factors.  I imagine that professionalism and performance were important.  It is a long bow to draw.

and it is not as if it was our top 6 out drinking together, it was 4 guys on the fringe.  Not really 'driving the culture', but breaking standards....

they broke the standards, paid for it, now time to move on.

3 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

OK, I get it. If our players drink more, they will be successful. Righto

Makes others more attractive...i see the logic....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

And how do you get to a conclusion that drinking, or a drinking culture, correlates with success?  The best teams in 20 years had so many other factors.  I imagine that professionalism and performance were important.  It is a long bow to draw.

and it is not as if it was our top 6 out drinking together, it was 4 guys on the fringe.  Not really 'driving the culture', but breaking standards....

they broke the standards, paid for it, now time to move on.

They had so many other factors but drinking was one of them.

i don't like 4 blokes being hung out to dry for having a beer.

I have AFL footballers in my family who will do a ridiculous amount of excersise xmas day then have a few beers with the rest of the family. Get up the next day do their excersise routine again and head to the Boxing Day test where they will have a few beers again. Footballers are human and if they're a decent bloke get on with other people their age.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jaded said:

I appreciate your training reports and that you are a staunch defender of the club and the players, but there is seriously no defending this action.

None of these guys deserve a life ban, but they broke very simple team rules. If they can't manage to stay off alcohol for 6 days, we have a bigger issue here. Given both the seniors and Casey lost, it would have been best for everyone had they not compromised their recovery by behaving unprofessionally. Who knows how this impacted their performance at Casey, let alone how badly it stuffed up our team selection. 

It might not be a big deal to you, but it's a big deal to the club, so much so, that we chose to compromise team selection by banning them from AFL for a week. That is a really really big call when we are struggling so much with injuries, and this was another 'must win' game. I don't think this was just a matter of 4 players have one beer too many, they obviously drank enough that it impacted their training performance the next day.

That these 4 are actually battling to get a game, makes it all the more baffling. JHK just got a contract extension too! I have no idea what they were thinking.

The most disappointing thing is that some of these fools are going to play this week due to circumstances, whereas I don't think they'd get a senior game for weeks if the situation was different, and rightly so. 

Breaking team rules is something that upsets me.

Having a few beers is an indication of good young blokes. We don't want tea toatlers like Tom Scully polluting the culture at our club.

Paul Roos and Neil Daniher encouraged bonding over a few beers.

7 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Having a few beers is an indication of good young blokes. We don't want tea toatlers like Tom Scully polluting the culture at our club.

as did especially norm smith, but these guys had plenty of other occasions to bond over a beer and within team rules

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

I have AFL footballers in my family who will do a ridiculous amount of excersise xmas day then have a few beers with the rest of the family. Get up the next day do their excersise routine again and head to the Boxing Day test where they will have a few beers again. Footballers are human and if they're a decent bloke get on with other people their age.

Is there an AFL match 6 days after Christmas Day?

Drinking in the off-season or 8/9 days out from a match is understandable. What isn't acceptable is flaunting a team directive to avoid alcohol during this 6-6-6 period, in case of injuries or emergency call-ups.

All they had to do was stay off the grog for 6 more days! They've shown contempt for their coaches, disrespect for their teammates, and topped it all off with an embarrassing VFL performance.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Time and place 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Is there an AFL match 6 days after Christmas Day?

Drinking in the off-season or 8/9 days out from a match is understandable. What isn't acceptable is flaunting a team directive to avoid alcohol during this 6-6-6 period, in case of injuries or emergency call-ups.

All they had to do was stay off the grog for 6 more days! They've shown contempt for their coaches, disrespect for their teammates, and topped it all off with an embarrassing VFL performance.

All they had to do was complete their fitness plan. If they failed because of the drinking they should be punished. The truth is they could meet expectations at the next training session.

Truth of the matter is the MFC thought them not up to it. 

So endeth the lesson.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

All they had to do was complete their fitness plan. If they failed because of the drinking they should be punished. The truth is they could meet expectations at the next training session.

All they had to do was abide by team rules. They broke them.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

OK, I get it. If our players drink more, they will be successful. Righto

I wish Moonshadow

I'd won 3 Brownlows with that sort of pre requisite and I don't think I'd be alone 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Truth of the matter is the MFC thought them not up to it. 

So endeth the lesson.

Truth is they are fringe players so they could afford to.

We got Bernie Vince on the cheap because he liked a beer and he went on to win a best and fairest at our club.

Endeth the rubbish.

1 hour ago, Wrecker45 said:

We got Bernie Vince on the cheap because he liked a beer and he went on to win a best and fairest at our club.

This is a bizarre line of reasoning. Regardless, Bernie Vince has a few more credits in the bank than the 4 involved here.

Nobody is arguing the MFC needs to become prohibition-era America. We're saying it's unacceptable for players to break strict team rules regarding the consumption of alcohol.

Consider that the alcohol may have been in their system Sunday morning. That's 5 days out from the Friday match, hampering recovery and their fitness programs. These rules exist for a reason and the coaches have every right to be filthy.

Edited by SaberFang
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

Truth is they are fringe players so they could afford to.

Endeth the rubbish.

What?

If Vince did the same thing, he would have the same punishment. It has nothing to do with them being fringe players. You work for the club and you break club rules, you are punished. 

That these 4 dumbarses happen to be fringe players makes it all the more of a pathetic action, as you'd think they'd want to help themselves get a senior game, not hinder their chances.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Again, not all agree with the bleating, and some don't have the wherewithal to discuss rationally so refer to childishness

Rationally? Like "drinking builds culture, it doesn't destroy it"

We aren't all apologists mate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Again, not all agree with the bleating, and some don't have the wherewithal to discuss rationally so refer to childishness

Referring to some as sheep or goats with your use of "bleating" puts you firmly in the childishness camp for mine Satyr... 

5 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Referring to some as sheep or goats with your use of "bleating" puts you firmly in the childishness camp for mine Satyr... 

Bleating is the way the posters sound, just making the same noise so they don't stand out from the crowd, the mods don't like me using mob ruke, maybe I should go with diaspora 

This is a public forum, perhaps those that seem to want to stamp out contrary views should think about not posting

I let posters have an opinion, if I don't agree I will say so and why, having the wherewithal to do it rather than relying on jpg of gif humour

15 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Bleating is the way the posters sound, just making the same noise so they don't stand out from the crowd, the mods don't like me using mob ruke, maybe I should go with diaspora 

This is a public forum, perhaps those that seem to want to stamp out contrary views should think about not posting

I let posters have an opinion, if I don't agree I will say so and why, having the wherewithal to do it rather than relying on jpg of gif humour

Oh dear...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Thanks very much for that, I really do appreciate it.

• Like 1