• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE DROUGHT IS OVER by George on the Outer - POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

7 minutes ago, Nasher said:

You have Gawn in there twice in your Goodwin votes. Think the second one (for 2 points) is meant to be Hogan?

Thanks for the breakdown. 

And I suspect Goodwin gave Bernie 5 and Oliver 4 and Richo gave Oliver 5 and Bernie 0. If you listen to Goodwin's post match he was very complimentary of Bernie.

14 hours ago, Demon Jack said:

After watching the replay, OMac was nowhere near as bad as I remember him being. Yes, he made a few bad blues, but he made some incredibly important spoils and looked ok at times. He'll get better. I'm willing to give him a bit more time.

Also, Clarry is god.

Even though he cost a couple of goals with errors that should eventually leave his game (he's 20 yo ffs playing on a 34 or 27 yo guns)... i wonder if the experts on this site will acknowledge the goal scoring chains he started?

Its very easy to point out the obvious 

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

And I suspect Goodwin gave Bernie 5 and Oliver 4 and Richo gave Oliver 5 and Bernie 0. If you listen to Goodwin's post match he was very complimentary of Bernie.

I agree. Roos was fawning over Vince all game as well and Richo was probably unhappy with the Vince hit behind play.

But it’s strange set of votes. One of the coaches gave either Vince or Gawn full points while the other didn’t rate them at all. And only one of the coaches rated Jones.

An alternative scenario of votes:

Goodwin       Richo

5)      Vince           Oliver

4)      Oliver            Lewis

3)      Jones            Gawn

2)      Gawn            Hogan

1)       Roo              Roo

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 5

TOTW: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-28/team-of-the-week-round-one

Gawn: Ruckman

Oliver: Interchange

Well deserved!

(As and aside, I heard someone on radio yesterday refer to Oliver as 'Ginger Meggs'.  Made me LOL.  Like Ginger, Oliver will be our mischief-maker for a long time to come)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Knew it.    Richardson gave the two charity votes to Riewoldt who wasnt even in the best 8 players on the ground.

Unprofessional and very very biased.

I don't agree with that necessarily. Often the winning coach gives votes to who they thought the best opposition player was. Could well have been Goodwin giving NR votes.

9 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

Did Vince run over your dog, A F? You're on the hunt lately. 

Did you not see some of Lewis' turnovers?

Everyone made mistakes in the heat of round 1. 

Vince was outstanding. 

Haha, I just didn't rate his game anywhere near as highly as Jones' or Lewis'.

After watching the replay, am I the only one who noticed how huge Billy Stretch looks? He's put on some serious muscle since 2015. He played a ripping game as well.

He's sooooooo incredibly clean.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Demon Jack said:

After watching the replay, OMac was nowhere near as bad as I remember him being. Yes, he made a few bad blues, but he made some incredibly important spoils and looked ok at times. He'll get better. I'm willing to give him a bit more time.

I think that at the game his little defencive efforts go unnoticed. He reads the play extremely well without the ball. He is also pretty good for a tall kid at keeping the ball infront of him when its at ground level, A couple of times when the ball hit the deck he would be running side by side with the opposition being pushed aside just because he is leaner and still managed to get a boot or a hand to the ball to keep it moving and keep himself in the contest. I know why people hate him playing but I think it is those little efforts that keep him in the team. Even a couple of his mistakes he made he was able to clean up after himself.

He seems to get abused even when he does well. The one where he ran back with the flight spoiled riewoldt and forced the ball to within a metre of the line before a very good snap under pressure from the saints player to riewoldt in the goal square. That was as good of an effort you can expect from a defender out numbered and out positioned like that, yet still there was yelling and jeering from those in the crowd that Oscar isnt up to AFL footy. Some people have to accept that no matter what they do, defenders are going to be beaten when the opposition does something really good. Could have been Rance and they still should have kicked a goal from that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

Even though he cost a couple of goals with errors that should eventually leave his game (he's 20 yo ffs playing on a 34 or 27 yo guns)... i wonder if the experts on this site will acknowledge the goal scoring chains he started?

Its very easy to point out the obvious 

pedantic point i know, but he turned 21 about a week before the game..........still very young esp for a skinny tall

• Like 1

The weekend's result was a great team effort, with contributions from all.

There are always going to be clangers or simple mistakes made over the game by players.  What's changed? 

Even going back to the grand old days. some of Melbourne's great champions played poor games and made mistakes, were undisciplined or gave goals away.

The attention to detail is greater than ever, the speed of the game keeps increasing, the tackling even more ferocious. In short, the game has become more demanding in every way.  High level of skills is imperative but that does not stop simple mistakes being made during a game..  

And the television and media focus highlights all play, good and bad. And supporters ever more demanding that players excel week in week out, without blemish.

We demand perfection at times, when the demands of the game make it ever more difficult. It has become easy to be overly critical of players. We should focus on the team and not the individual player and be less critical of mistakes or individual short comings. 

We should focus on the positive rather than the negative. I think that is one of Goodwin's strengths and perhaps that of the current footy department. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

pedantic point i know, but he turned 21 about a week before the game..........still very young esp for a skinny tall

Dont mind the correction DC. I was going off the top of my head...

I agree with some of the criticism on O Mac. But some only point out the vad and refuse to acknowledge any positives he brings. 

If anyone watches the replay note 2 or 3 scoring chains that werr set up from o mac kicks or defensive efforts

• Like 1

Two alternative views of new 'no third man up' rule:

1 Geelong totally nullify the affect of Sandilands by surrendering the hitouts but scored most from clearances.  (Dockers ending up 63-18 hitouts).  No 3rd man up, no big deal!  http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-round-1-fremantle-v-geelong-cats/news-story/ebe52c3413fb7f60bed19d7e4ba0a0fa  Geelong had their own gameplan and it worked brilliantly.  (A page out of Beveridge's book ala 2014/2015)

2. Richardson sooks about it in StK vs Demons game. You can’t do anything, really,” St Kilda coach Alan Richardson told Fox Footy’s AFL 360...“I think that’s something that’s been lost in the whole argument about getting rid of the third-man up".  WOW - a startling admission that he really had no idea what to do if he couldn't have a 3rd man up!  That is what preseason games are for.  He should watch footage of Freo vs Geelong to get some ideas!  Max is one of the best but for a coach to not have a plan...it is going to be a long season for Richo and the Saints.  http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kilda-becomes-the-first-victim-of-afls-decision-to-scrap-thirdman-up-at-ruck-contests/news-story/7e7ed8d944f1ae70cd0557c755686b71

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, fndee said:

Does anyone know if three father-sons in one team is a record?

Not even close. The Doggies had 5 or 6  in the grand final alone.

Edit - maybe 4..  Liberatore, Wallis, Cordy, Hunter

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chook fowler said:

I think Goodwin proved what a good match day coach he is. He was almost BOG.

Cant be said enough.  A man down from early in the game, in hot humid conditions and we ran them off their feet.

• Like 4

I've watched the replay twice now after seeing it live and I'd have to say that Oscar was a lot better than given credit for, he did some really smart things and is a real thinking footballer, he may just be a little undersized and inexperienced now. He will be ok and will improve every game.

Weideman also impressed me, he will be a very good player and once he starts to clunk a few marks he will figure in amongst the goals.

Some of the foot soldiers were also very good and the more you see of Billy and ANB the more you appreciate their game.

Good signs and it wasn't just the older players that did the job, even player contributed.

On 3/25/2017 at 7:10 PM, Demonland said:

THE DROUGHT IS OVER by George on the Outer

What does a first game coach do when he finds his team down by four goals at quarter time at a hoodoo ground against a team it hasn't beaten in ten years after losing a backman to a shoulder injury and having an already depleted defence?

Whatever it was that Simon Goodwin did or said at the quarter time break it was a different Melbourne side that came out following that first break. Maybe, it was the superior fitness of the Demons who seemed to have much more run in their legs in the hot, humid conditions inside Etihad Stadium (and why was the roof closed?) or maybe the new coach had learned a wealth of lessons from his mentor in Paul Roos and was now ready and up to the task on his first up assignment?

Whatever it was, from the time when the second term began, it was the Demons who controlled the game and the Saints were no longer toying with their young opposition side.

It was either a case of the Saints fluffing their interchanges or the Demons being much smarter but their only true ruck was in Hickey was hardly given a break in the first half.  On the other hand, when Max Gawn went off for a rest and some attention to his back, Jack Watts took him on and remarkably more than held his own.  By half time, Hickey was completely shot, and could barely raise a trot when he finally had to take a breather. That the Saints left Bruce, their backup ruck, sitting on the bench for just as equally long periods was baffling.  

Melbourne took advantage of St Kilda's failings and exploited them in the second quarter with the team stepping up a gear. The four goal deficit was wiped out in just eight minutes, and then the Demons piled on 11 goals to one in the second and third quarters to put the game beyond doubt.  

What was particularly heartening for the Demon faithful were the performances of Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca, Jesse Hogan, Jayden Hunt and newbie Mitch Hannan. Opposition supporters can now be heard mouthing the familiar cry of "where did they get him from?" Importantly, all of these players have not just been selected, but have been developed so that when they get a senior spot, they are ready to go from the start. None more so an example in this match than Hannan, who had the crowd gaping in awe as he scooped a loose ball up one-handed, in front of goal and screwed it back through the big sticks like he was shelling peas!  

Oliver was simply a beast. It took a while to warm up but his output of 36 touches, 9 clearances and 14 contested possessions (75% of game time) is one not normally seen in a 19 year old in his second  year player.  Petracca with 23 touches including 11 contested and his ability to hold his feet in tight situations was something for which the Saints had no answer. Hogan has signaled his arrival for 2017 with three goals and four important contested marks. He is that forward target that the Demons have been looking for since the departure of David Neitz.

But when looking at Hogan's performance, it is too easy to focus on him. There was a reason he was left one on one, and that was the work of Watts and Sam Weideman to drag their respective defenders far away. When the ball moved through the middle, the ball carrier was left with the vision of the best contested mark in the side playing alongside a reject from either Collingwood or Essendon. Again the coaching and development that provides this type of situation can easily go unnoticed.

Down back Neville Jetta was the shining star.  How often is he left one on one with an opponent either taller or stronger, and he still manages to nullify or comprehensively beat them? There is no doubt that he should be one of the first picked each week, so reliable is he. And he even chipped in with a goal of his own this week.

And what about a mention for Max? Those 49 hitouts against a man who beat him twice last year was an emphatic way of saying “I am King ... now get out of my way!" Then there was Jordan Lewis with 32 touches, 9 of them contested for whom can only thank the Hawks for sending him our way.  I should also make mention of Nathan Jones and his 35 touches and the list goes on and on.

This was a game against a team which has finals aspirations. It was always a measure of where the Demons stood against the Saints in terms of their prospects for finals as well. That it was such an emphatic win reminds one of Guru Bob's biblical analogy:

As Moses said when he parted the waters of the Red Sea:

"That will give the side a lot of confidence."

With a home game next week against the struggling Blues, the fans should be looking to end another hoodoo with yet another Good-win.  

Melbourne 2.3.15 9.4.58 15.7.97 18.12.120

St Kilda 6.2.38 7.8.50 9.9.63 13.12.90

Goals

Melbourne Garlett Hogan 3 Hannan  Petracca 2 Brayshaw Jetta Jones Neal-Bullen Stretch Vince Watts Weideman 

St Kilda Riewoldt 4 Gresham 3 Armitage Billings Bruce Dunstan Lonie Membrey 

Best

Melbourne Oliver Lewis Gawn Jones Vince Hogan Jetta Garlett 

St Kilda Riewoldt Gresham Billings Steven Steele

Changes 

Melbourne Nil

St Kilda Jack Lonie replaced Paddy McCartin (hamstring tightness) in the selected side 

Injuries

Melbourne Max Gawn (back tightness) Joel Smith (left shoulder)

St Kilda Nick Riewoldt (knee)

Reports

Melbourne Nil 

St Kilda Nil 

Umpires Chamberlain Fleer Ryan

Official crowd 36,249 at Etihad Stadium        

So we win 1 just 1 game and all is hunky dory??

Sorry George but your easily pleased views do not equate to sustained success of our footy club!

Ok 1 Game lets see what else this teams got!

Im not that easily pleased! Nor after 54 odd years in the wilderness should I be!

I'll see ya and raise you treble!!

4 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Not even close. The Doggies had 5 or 6  in the grand final alone.

Edit - maybe 4..  Liberatore, Wallis, Cordy, Hunter

Wallis was injured wasn't he? So 3 each.