Max Gawn (hamstring) – 6-8 weeks
James Harmes (lacerated eye) – available
Corey Maynard (concussion) – 1 week
Pat McKenna (hamstring) – 4 weeks
Joel Smith (shoulder) – 6 weeks
Tim Smith (ribs/punctured lung) – 3 weeks
Jake Spencer (shoulder) – 4-5 weeks
Aaron vandenBerg (heel) – 6 weeks

Joel Smith only 6 weeks away, nice.   He is going to be an awesome player and a wall at half back, as he showed  in the first 20 minutes of Round 1. 

Six weeks plus a couple of games at Casey would out him in line for a Round 16 return vs Carlton, give or take a week.

Interesting on SEN last night one of the commentators said that Max would be back in 6 weeks, and I think it was The Ox said, "don't be surprised if it's sooner than that."  So maybe Max is traveling better than originally thought.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hells bells said:

Interesting on SEN last night one of the commentators said that Max would be back in 6 weeks, and I think it was The Ox said, "don't be surprised if it's sooner than that."  So maybe Max is traveling better than originally thought.  

I'm pretty sure I heard Dave Misson say the other week that he was slightly ahead of schedule. I think he's started running sooner then they thought.

Still wouldn't wan to rush him would you. Will be interesting to see if finals becomes less of a reality whether they bring him back even slower.

Interesting on the AFL site no mention of Gus

I suspect the club, and he, will be untracautious.   

If he sat out the year, reflected, did some body fitness work he could still come back and reach his full potential.

The Demons get back Jake Melksham from suspension and Jayden Hunt must pass a medical test on his concussion. Corey Maynard has another week out and Tim Smith is not far off.

Melbourne injury list: round nine*

Angus Brayshaw (concussion) – TBC
Colin Garland (knee) – season
Max Gawn (hamstring) – 5-6 weeks
Jesse Hogan (testicular cancer) – TBC
Jayden Hunt (concussion) – test
Corey Maynard (concussion) – 1 week
Pat McKenna (hamstring) – TBC
Joel Smith (shoulder) – 5-6 weeks
Tim Smith (ribs) – 1 week
Jake Spencer (shoulder) – 3-4 weeks
Aaron vandenBerg (heel) – 6-8 weeks

* includes Jesse Hogan following today's news

It's going to be mighty interesting when these players become potentially available all at once and if we don't cop any further serious injuries. Especially if we just happen to be traveling well at the time:

Gawn - probably goes without saying.

Spencer - will maybe have a week or two ahead of the pack and then what? What if he plays a couple blinders? Pedo's form suggests he'll take the forward/ruck option (but not necessarily), although I believe that the club had genuinely been flirting with the dual-ruck idea - so will Pedo get squeezed out with Hogan and VDB also due back? And what if Tmac gets a full-time shift up forward and proves a missing ingredient? On top of all that, the club ideally want to get games into Weideman and the he may also 'click' over the next six weeks.

VDB - I think he's rated far more highly internally than by many on here as a strong, mature body earmarked for the problematic HF role. Yet the club are evidently placing a premium on forward-pressure and athleticism and would we want to see him come in for Hannan/Kent? I believe that he's been pretty seriously hampered by injury the past two seasons and if he gets his ankles right he could reveal some surprising ability (based on the pre-season vs Port last year where he looked like he was ready to storm the league). 

Hogan - see the 'no Hogan effect' thread. People are already going as far as to suggest a move to CHB. The more sensible consensus is that he's better suited to a CHF role roaming up-field (although Watts is probably also better suited to this role), yet the club seem to want to persist with majority FF.

Smith - again, the club appeared to have penciled him in as a best 25 and most of us liked what we saw in his brief senior cameo. There's also a sense that we're still not quite settled with our defensive line-up and there's an element of shakiness. Yet, Wagner may be in the same bracket and there's not really room for Frost, Tmac, Omac, Wagner and Smith down back. 

Of course, it will come down to form/new injuries etc, but providing everyone plays well until then, who will get the priority in selection if we're trying to establish our best 22 mix in a run to the finals?

6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I feel like VandenBerg has been 6-8 weeks for 6-8 weeks.  Let's hope he's back sometime during this decade.

I reckon it has been 628 for 10+ . It is looking like 2018 to me

1 minute ago, old dee said:

I reckon it has been 628 for 10+ . It is looking like 2018 to me

You're probably not too far from the truth, OD.  If he is out for another 8 weeks and then needs to come back through the ressies then it makes it harder for him to get back in the AFL side this year.  I think a few have gone past him anyway, although I would assume he is still rated amongst the FD so he may still get his chance if it arises.

On 5/3/2017 at 4:22 PM, jane02 said:

Just had a chat with a mate(and former Casey player) of Tim Smith. He was just released from hospital last Friday,

and there is no talk of any return to football at this stage. He is at home resting. It will definitely be much more than the listed 4-5 weeks. Poor guy - he is obviously shattered.

Maybe coming along better than first expected Jane? Now listed as 1wk...

Edited by jnrmac

12 hours ago, Skuit said:

Corey Maynard given a two week stand-down for concussion as per suggested club policy (as related by a posted via Brayshaw's dad) but Jayden Hunt 'test'? 

Hunt from all reports has had little or no symptoms of concussion (other than being knocked out cold!) Was up and about and lucid during the rest of the game. Maynard has shown signs I believe..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demons11 said:

Gawn just mentioned he is aiming to be back for the Pies or the Bulldogs

Really?! only 3 weeks away.  that would be sweet.  

(poor speno)

On 2017-5-16 at 7:29 AM, hells bells said:

Make no mistake, a first-time poster on Demonland has more insight about Melbourne's injury list than Ox.

12 hours ago, Skuit said:

Corey Maynard given a two week stand-down for concussion as per suggested club policy (as related by a posted via Brayshaw's dad) but Jayden Hunt 'test'? 

I will trust the club on this one: not all head hits result in the same outcome, and not all "concussions" are the same. (Dangerfield vs Trengove, and Rowe vs Hogan say hi!). 

13 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

You're probably not too far from the truth, OD.  If he is out for another 8 weeks and then needs to come back through the ressies then it makes it harder for him to get back in the AFL side this year.  I think a few have gone past him anyway, although I would assume he is still rated amongst the FD so he may still get his chance if it arises.

Having a foot injury makes it difficult to keep up aerobic fitness. As you say I find it hard to see him playing AFL this year.

The worst part is that there does not seem to be improvement or comment on his injury.

54 minutes ago, monoccular said:

I will trust the club on this one: not all head hits result in the same outcome, and not all "concussions" are the same. (Dangerfield vs Trengove, and Rowe vs Hogan say hi!). 

I also trust the club (for as much understanding as they can have on the subject). Just got the impression that the two-week lay-off for concussion was mandatory as per reported club policy. And he's been listed as 'concussion'.

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Maybe coming along better than first expected Jane? Now listed as 1wk...

Very surprised by this - but that's all good. Will see his mate again this week so will check again for an update. Best mates - used to play together at Casey.

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

I also trust the club (for as much understanding as they can have on the subject). Just got the impression that the two-week lay-off for concussion was mandatory as per reported club policy. And he's been listed as 'concussion'.

it probably is, but only if the concussion is graded 'x' or higher

• Like 1