Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Clarence Oliver

dazzledavey36

3 hours ago, rjay said:

Is this a trick question 'Red'?

I think it's pretty obvious who the 18 coaches would select, they like giving him (Oliver) votes and the other 17 coaches for some reason that seems to escape the AA selectors like to tag him. Obviously a waste of time for someone who doesn't do any damage with ball in hand.

Maybe they should watch the games and not just go by the metres gained and handball stat sheet.

MRP a joke.

Umpiring by crowd noise and not vision.

Fixturing done on the basis of dollars and totally unrelated to fairness of a sporting competition.

Rising Star award ignoring Jayden Hunt in 2017 and this week giving an award to a kid with 3 possessions and 3 goals obtained in a thrashing of the opposition.

A record year of football stats for a 2nd year player, placing him in the top few players in the game, yet ignored in a 40 man AA squad.

Rules changed at whim.

You know rjay, it is okay for you to suggest that the AA selectors should watch the games, but I actually doubt that they would know how to turn on a Television or find their way to a football ground.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, daisycutter said:

clarrie has done a bradman. he ended up 1 (one) disposal short of a 2017 average of 30 disposals per game

can we ask for a recount?

just to clarify.....that was one disposal for the whole year........he ended up with  an average of 29.945454545.......

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

just to clarify.....that was one disposal for the whole year........he ended up with  an average of 29.945454545.......

Don't need to. How many times was Clarry penalised from the umpires for what they thought were throws but were actually handballs?

Maggots keep on screwing us!

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

Presented with his award as the best young player on AFL 360 tonight. Earned high praise from Richardson the Saints coach. Awarded to players in their first 2 years after making debut. It is also notable that Petracca also figured in this award third.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Presented with his award as the best young player on AFL 360 tonight. Earned high praise from Richardson the Saints coach. Awarded to players in their first 2 years after making debut. It is also notable that Petracca also figured in this award third.  

Interesting he said that McCartney told him to pick a player as a mentor to help model his professionalism. He chose Billy Stretch.

• Like 4

What were Diesel Williams' stats for meters gained in his Brownlow years? I know they didn't do those stats then.  My memory was when he was in the middle he was a master of the quick, short handball to someone in a better position, more than kicking the ball to a position because he was so often in the centre of a dense maul of players. Clarrie seems to have potentially, a similar set of skills. 

• Like 1

Just now, Earl Hood said:

What were Diesel Williams' stats for meters gained in his Brownlow years? I know they didn't do those stats then.  My memory was when he was in the middle he was a master of the quick, short handball to someone in a better position, more than kicking the ball to a position because he was so often in the centre of a dense maul of players. Clarrie seems to have potentially, a similar set of skills. 

Clarry actually handballs more often at this piont than Deisel did.  Based on that, I'd say his meters gained would be less than Deisels.  Average total disposals per game stats are similar.

And while I think of it, sign him up on a Dusty like deal and lock him in for life. Once his team mates work out how to best feed of his lightning ball handling we will improve to the next level and he and Trac will be our marquee players.

Clarry's 2017 might be one of the best seasons ever from a Demon, and we're talking nearly 160 years worth of players.

And now for everyone's favourite stat.....he only just turned 20.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Older demon said:

Bet Richardson didn't praise Petracca too much though. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Older demon said:

And while I think of it, sign him up on a Dusty like deal and lock him in for life. Once his team mates work out how to best feed of his lightning ball handling we will improve to the next level and he and Trac will be our marquee players.

Yeah sweet . But someone in the deep dark ages must have called it FOOTBALL for a reason !

Clarry gained 72 Votes, next best 38 and then Petracca on 29 and as the MFC site mentions this puts Clarry up in heady heights of Pendlebury, Selwood, Judd & Fyfe what an absolute beauty is our Clarry. I feel like I am starting to come back to life at least a little...:blink:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm lazy, so can't be bothered looking at stats, but eyeballing Clarry's games, he's clearly and understandably had a lot more attention paid to him... thus I feel he has plateaued with his influence. So, what I am wondering (hoping) is that when Viney comes back it will free him up a bit more...is this an accurate assessment. It reminds me  of Judd, who was surrounded by Cousins and Kerr -  top midfielders who also allowed him to get off the leash.

• Like 3

Having improved so much last year it is understandable that he would plateau for a while. 

But, you make a good point about extra attention.  Its not just Viney missing but also Tyson and Jones not being played much in the middle means Clarrie is the only target.

In the middle they take some of the load/attention so Clarrie can weave his magic which then allows Salem to add polish on the outside.   Clarrie weaving his magic would also help improve the clearance rate from Max's hit out dominance.   Win, win all round!

So Viney back in will help Clarrie but in the meantime so will Jones and/or Tyson playing in the middle.

• Like 2

I don't worry about Clayton. In the scheme of things, he's due some delayed 'second year blues'. Any downturn from him learning to deal with the extra attention, either due to his performance last year or the absence of other players, is just part of the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also need to consider the absence of Viney. Without looking up stats as well, I reckon Clarry was a lot more damaging as the 2nd mid.

I'm very excited to see Viney, Clarry, Brayshaw and Tracc running in the centre all together.

We just need some outside class to complement them now.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

TRAINING: Tuesday 19th March 2024

Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin & Walking Civil War attended Tuesday morning's training session at Gosch's Paddock to bring you the following observations. KEV MARTIN'S TRAINING OBSERVATIONS Windy, even the Yarra has waves, warm and humid. They are doing plenty of warm ups, then a game of soccer, now run throughs. I think keeping it simple. May, ANB, Hore, Max. TMac, Billings, Sestan, on modified programs.  BBB, Spargs, Turner, McAdam (own program, talking to Whe

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

DEE-RUBBING by George on the Outer

For the second week in a row, the Demons had to endure some particularly oppressive match conditions — this time, playing in 30 degree temperatures at the MCG, following the humid sticky Sydney atmosphere of last week.   The warmer conditions didn’t seem to worry the Dee’s since the ball was so much easier to handle, and handle it with surety they did in handing out a 45 point drubbing to the much fancied Western Bulldogs.   After a slow start that saw the Dogs out to

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

PREGAME: Rd 02 vs Hawthorn

The Demons will return to the MCG next week to face the Hawks before 2 weeks on the road in Adelaide in the lead up to Gather Round. Who comes in and who goes out?

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 132

PODCAST: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 18th March @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Bulldogs in the Round 01. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 65

POSTGAME: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

The Demons finally open their account in the 2024 Premiership Season with a 45 point win over the Western Bulldogs at the Home of Football the MCG.   

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 444

VOTES: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

Last week Jack Viney polled the maximum number of votes to lead the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May and rookie Blake Howes are equal second. Your votes for the win over the Bulldogs. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 75

GAMEDAY: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

On the back of a disappointing Opening Round loss to the Swans in Sydney the Demons return to the MCG today to take on the the Western Bulldogs in a bid to even the ledger early in the 2024 season.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 467

TRAINING: Saturday 16th March 2023

Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin and Dee Zephyr wandered down to Gosch's Paddock on Saturday morning to bring you their observations from the Captain's Run in the lead up to Sunday's Round One match against the Bulldogs. KEV MARTIN'S CAPTAIN'S RUN OBSERVATIONS Rehab  is out early. A beautiful Saturday morning, though plenty of dew on the paddock  Verrall doing hard sprints along the boundary.  McAdam individual program and has started, ball work, change of direction drills,

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

CROSSING THE PICKETT LINE by The Oracle

Melbourne’s performance in losing its Round Zero contest in Sydney has certainly caused the club, the coach and the players to come firmly under the watchful eye of the football world and exposed all of its aspects to a microscopic lens.   Much of the commentary surrounding them has been less than complimentary and, while some might argue that this is unfair after only one round, leaving aside some of the scuttlebutt that surrounds a lot of the discussion around the game, a fair amoun

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews
  • Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

• Podcast 

• Podcast 

• Podcast Stream 

Open Stream in
    New Window
        TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • Support Demonland  

• 2021 Premiership  

• Social Media 

• Non MFC Games  

NON-MFC: Round 02

Discussion of all the other games that don't involve the Demons in Round 02 ... READ MORE

Demonland | Round 02

• Training  

Tuesday, 19th March 2024

Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin & Walking Civil War attended Tuesday morning's training session at Gosch's Paddock to bring you the following observations ... READ MORE

Demonland | March 19

• Latest Podcast      

PODCAST: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

The boys analysed the dismantling of the Western Bulldogs praising the masterful performance of Clayton Oliver, the dominance of Max Gawn and the defence and rebound of Steven May ... LISTEN

Demonland | March 19

• Match Report      

DEE-RUBBING by George on the Outer

For the second week in a row, the Demons had to endure some particularly oppressive match conditions — this time, playing in 30 degree temperatures at the MCG, following the humid sticky Sydney atmosphere of last week ... READ MORE

Demonland | March 17

• Post Game      

POSTGAME: Round 01 vs Western Bulldogs

TThe Demons finally open their account in the 2024 Premiership Season with a 45 point win over the Western Bulldogs at the Home of Football the MCG ...READ MORE

Demonland | March 17

• Votes      

VOTES: Round 01 vs Western Bulldogs

Last week Jack Viney polled the maximum number of votes to lead the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May and rookie Blake Howes are equal second. Your votes for the win over the Bulldogs. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...READ MORE

Demonland | March 17

• PreGame      

PREGAME: Rd 02 vs Hawthorn

The Demons will return to the MCG next week to face the Hawks before 2 weeks on the road in Adelaide in the lead up to Gather Round. Who comes in and who goes out? ...READ MORE

Demonland | March 19

• Game Day      

GAMEDAY: Round 01 vs Western Bulldogs

On the back of a disappointing Opening Round loss to the Swans in Sydney the Demons return to the MCG today to take on the the Western Bulldogs in a bid to even the ledger early in the 2024 season ... READ MORE

Demonland | March 17

• Training  

Saturday, 16th March 2024

Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin and Dee Zephyr wandered down to Gosch's Paddock on Saturday morning to bring you their observations from the Captain's Run in the lead up to Sunday's Round One match against the Bulldogs ... READ MORE

Demonland | March 16

• Match Preview      

CROSSING THE PICKETT LINE by The Oracle

Melbourne’s performance in losing its Round Zero contest in Sydney has certainly caused the club, the coach and the players to come firmly under the watchful eye of the football world and exposed all of its aspects to a microscopic lens ... READ MORE

Demonland | March 14

• Training  

Monday, 11th March 2024

Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin braved the scorching heat on a public holiday to bring you the following observations from Training ...READ MORE

Demonland | March 11

• Preseason Training  

Saturday, 2nd March 2024

On the eve of the 2024 Season I ventured down to Gosch's Paddock for one of the final preseason training session before we head up to Sydney to take on the Swans. Here are my observations from the training session ... READ MORE

Demonland | March 02

• Special Feature  

SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024 ... READ MORE

Demonland | February 24

• Farewell  

Angus Brayshaw Retires

After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland ... READ MORE

Demonland | February 22

• Latest Podcast  

PODCAST: Koltyn Tholstrup Interview

I interview the Melbourne Football Club’s newest recruit Koltyn Tholstrup to have a chat about his journey from the farm to the Demons, his first few weeks of preseason training, which Dees have impressed him on the track and his aspirations of playing Round 1 ... LISTEN

Demonland | December 14

• Latest Podcast  

PODCAST: Jason Taylor Interview

I interview the Melbourne Football Club's National Recruitment Manager Jason Taylor to have a chat about our Trade and Draft period, our newest recruits, our recent recruits who have yet to debut as well as those father son prospects on the horizon ... LISTEN

Demonland | November 27

• Next Match 

Round 02

vs   

Saturday 23rd March 2024
    @ 04:35pm (MCG)

• MFC Forum  

• Match Previews & Reports  

• Training Forum  

• AFLW Forum  

• 2024 Player Sponsorship

• Topics